PDA

View Full Version : Best NBA Division..Overall

RyanStorm
12-21-2012, 04:15 AM
I am talking the combined overall best NBA Division.

Honestly I have to say the Northwest Division is the best Division in the NBA.

My case is, 2nd and 5th place are only 1.5 games between them, with 1st being the best in the West and in the whole NBA. All 5 are over the .500 mark, with all 5 in playoff potential spots as of right now. Its obvious OKC is the best of them all, but Minnesota and Utah are easily gonna make the playoffs, both have great teams and usually do go! Denver and Portland are also very likely at this rate, they should have more Wins, but either way they are also filled with talent but are lacking. I really think we could see 3-5 teams from this 1 division in the top 8.

Honestly I think all the West Coast Divisions are hot this season, Pacific has 3 potential playoffs with 1 possibly, and the 3 teams are both LA's and GS so they are still in contention. The Southwest is also packed with talent, if Dallas was hotter this season I might have said they were best division. Houston and Dallas are just lacking, which opens up a few playoff spots for the NW. With Lakers and Phoenix lacking also, both these divisions should be a lot better, and I see things changing by the end of the year. If not, Northwest will have their spots.

Didn't mean to write so much. I would like to hear some predictions, opinions and any insider/fan information. I don't know much about the East Coast teams, just mainly the West. Don't get me wrong SouthEast has three amazing teams, but even with Miami and Atlanta, they still fall short. Although I would listen to any case that says they are the top East Coast Division(its just that, they have one of THE best, and THE worst teams in the NBA, but I have considered their talent to make up for that one bad team, because if you take NW bottom team (portland), and SE bottom team, then all of a sudden, they become contendor for THE best NBA Division. And I could go for saying Miami's talent is good enough to forget their last team. But I rather say Atlantic has more talent combined/overall.

RyanStorm
12-21-2012, 04:20 AM
I wanted this to be about this years teams so far this year. Obvious it would make it easier if you could hypothesize on who will do better and who will drop down. However, I will accept any votes/summary based on who you think the best division "will" be.

NYYCowboys
12-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Either the Northwest or Atlantic I'd say. In the end I think the Knicks, Nets, and Celtics will all be top 5 teams in the east, and the 76ers could be a 7/8 seed.

The Northwest has OKC, who I think are the best team in the entire league, Minny, Utah, Denver, and Portland. I think Denver will make the jump to the top 5 of the conference eventually, and Minny and Utah should both be in playoff contention.

When all is said and done I think both of those divisions could get 4 teams in the playoffs each, which would be very impressive.

Guppyfighter
12-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Either the Northwest or Atlantic I'd say. In the end I think the Knicks, Nets, and Celtics will all be top 5 teams in the east, and the 76ers could be a 7/8 seed.

The Northwest has OKC, who I think are the best team in the entire league, Minny, Utah, Denver, and Portland. I think Denver will make the jump to the top 5 of the conference eventually, and Minny and Utah should both be in playoff contention.

When all is said and done I think both of those divisions could get 4 teams in the playoffs each, which would be very impressive.

Sixers could miss the playoffs at this rate.

RyanStorm
12-21-2012, 05:19 AM
I really think Atlantic has a good chance at getting 3 teams easily, but all three have a somewhat equal shot at the East Cost Title against Miami.

I really think Miami's almost a certain repeat of last year. Atlanta and Orlando will unlikely make it to the East Coast Finals, but will be 1st rounders.

When its all said and done, I think Atlantic will be the hottest in the East(I think their big 3 will go and be the only thing between Miami and another Championship).

Then the Northwest as best in the West(especially if Utah or Minn can get up and become a 2nd tier team like on the ranks of Spurs/Golden State behind Memphis and LAC. For the last month Utah was under OKC's wing(cause OKC won't be beat by anyone in the NW. Its been awhile since I said I think Minn or Utah as likely 2nd rounders.

NYYCowboys
12-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Yeah I think the 'East Coast Title' could be hotly contested.

RyanStorm
12-21-2012, 06:12 AM
I think that is what it is. East coast is a battle over East Conference Title, while the West is more of a battle of getting into the first round. Like 12-15 teams wanting a shot at 8 positions, while less than half have the talent to be crowned West Conference Title Champs.

Like Utah and Minn are definitely good if not great teams in one way or another, but they have no chance at beating OKC, maybe next year cause OKC already has everything together and are bonded, like in Miami.

The only contenders that I think have what it takes(to beat OKC in a West Coast Showdown) is Memphis, Lakers, Spurs and LAC, with Minn/Utah/Houston as runner ups if all else fails. Each of these teams have great talent, but lack one thing or another and aren't getting them wins(except Minn they beat OKC this week).

Even if any of Golden State, Minnesota, Utah, Houston or Portland get their act together, I still don't see any of them making it past 2nd round. I know Dallas and Lakers don't look good on paper, but they are threats as long as they are in the playoffs, even though Dallas has only but a few of the same team that won the last Title for the West. Lakers still got Kobe...but have a lot of new adjustments still not figured.

clutchfan
12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
I know Dallas and Lakers don't look good on paper, but they are threats as long as they are in the playoffs, even though Dallas has only but a few of the same team that won the last Title for the West. Lakers still got Kobe...but have a lot of new adjustments still not figured.

:confused:

Cal827
12-21-2012, 07:20 AM
What up Dnewguy?

torocan
12-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Very tough call.

In terms of sheer toughness of the teams, I think it has to be between the Northwest (OKC, Minn, Denver, Utah and Portland) and the Southwest (Memphis, SAS, Houston, Dallas, NO).

Southwest has 2 of the toughest teams (Memphis/SAS), Northwest has OKC and 4 teams that can legitimately contend for playoff spots.

Pushed against a wall, I'd probably say the Northwest.

As for getting out of the West, I don't think that's the right measure for "toughest" division since the West is stacked stupidly hard.

Imagine how well most East teams would do if they had to play OKC, Spurs, Memphis, and the Clippers 2x this season. Not to mention GSW, Denver, Utah, Minnesota (with Love and Rubio), Dallas (with Dirk), Houston, and Portland.

Beyond the Knicks and Miami, it's hard to see many (if ANY) teams in the East even having a .500 record in the West.

Atlanta (the #3 seed) for example is 6-5 against the West with losses against Houston, the Lakers, Golden State x 2 and OKC. Their schedule has also been slightly below average (16th toughest schedule at -0.16 according to basketball reference), so it's not like they got a lot of the tougher Eastern teams either.

The Pacers, Magic, Wizardsx3, Charlottex2, Cleveland and Miami isn't exactly a rough ride in the East.

They haven't even played SAS, Memphis, the Clippers, Minnesota, or Utah...

The West is just stupidly good right now.

Thunder-Sooner
12-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Wow, a Knicks fan who says the knicks aren't the best team... I like you!:up:

JordansBulls
12-21-2012, 05:21 PM
As far as parity probably Southwest

topdog
12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
The Northwest gets my vote for 3 reasons: 1.All the teams are at or above .500 2.There is no clear bottom team (or 2) that all the division rivals get to prey upon 4-8 times a year and 3.All the teams are relatively young (versus the aging Atlantic)

RyanStorm
12-22-2012, 07:42 AM
That is a big thing when you can't tell which team is the bottom. I mean Minnesota and Utah were at the bottom at one point. I also think its crazy to say that Denver or Portland are the weakest link, and since I favor Portland, I would say Denver is the weakest in the Northwest.

Right now 4 of the NW are in the top 8(or tied with 8th), and the 5th team "portland" is only a half a game behind the 8th spot. I think its insane if we get more than 3 teams from one division.

I think the west became a powerhouse that it is right starting about 2 years ago. OKC came to power, Minn is now a big team(since Garnets left), Clippers are no longer the dog team of the NBA with CP and Griffen, Dallas with Dirk/Marion have made themselves a real threat even though they aren't playing like a team who won the title just before the Heat, Memphis has really turned themselves around since leaving Vancover, Golden State really made a turn around this season which should get them a playoff spot that hasn't happened recently, and Portland, Utah, Denver, and Houston now have teams that are winning games and have a lot of talent, and have made turn arounds with their new lineups.

New Orleans is the only West Coast team that I would call a dog team. They are probably the only team in the west that doesn't have a legitimate chance of getting into the playoffs.
Phonix and Sacremento are the only other 2 who probably won't make .500. But they are still going to be tough against other West Coast teams fighting for those last spots. Were looking at a 4-6 way tie for the last 2-5 spots, so every conference win is actually a big deal.

RyanStorm
12-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I am actually surprised no one has bothered to say Miami's division.

I knew Atlantic was a force to reckon with, but I was kind of surprised how universally OKC has respect, and how much Minn and Utah are also considered good teams. I personally believe these two teams have the best roster they have ever had...well for the Jazz, best since the double title loss.

I thought everyone was gonna go Atlantic with no one on NW. I almost went with Atlantic, but NW has OKC with Minn and Utah, which combined I believe are just as powerful as Atlantic's big three(OKC and NY, Minn and Celtics, then Utan and Nets).

I just believe that both divisions will have 3 playoff teams, the only difference is NW only has 1 for sure, because any 2 of the other four can do it.

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I voted for the North West... they have the deepest division (everybody is over .500), but that said, they only have one team that is currently in contention, where as South West has two (Spurs and Grizzlies) while the Pacific has two teams playing at that level (Clippers and the very surprising Warriors who have played without Bogut all season), plus the Lakers, who I am assuming will turn it around at some point.

The Atlantic is easily the best division in the East.

Guppyfighter
12-22-2012, 09:58 PM
The central, said people last year.

mightybosstone
12-23-2012, 02:51 AM
How is the Southwest not getting more credit? That division has two of the 5-6 best teams in the entire NBA, and will likely get at least one more playoff team, if not two, between Houston and Dallas. The Rockets have already beaten some really good teams and have been killing it as of late despite facing as much early season turmoil as any team in the NBA and being the league's youngest squad. The Northwest might have the most competitive teams, but the Southwest might get the most teams into the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2012, 02:53 AM
How is the Southwest not getting more credit? That division has two of the 5-6 best teams in the entire NBA, and will likely get at least one more playoff team, if not two, between Houston and Dallas. The Rockets have already beaten some really good teams and have been killing it as of late despite facing as much early season turmoil as any team in the NBA and being the league's youngest squad. The Northwest might have the most competitive teams, but the Southwest might get the most teams into the playoffs.

my Wolves say hi :)

mightybosstone
12-23-2012, 03:26 AM
my Wolves say hi :)

I'm not saying they've necessarily had the most problems, but trading for your best player like three days before the start of the season, having only one of you starting five who actually started consistently a season ago, being the youngest team in the entire league and having your head coach gone and then lose his daughter to illness is no cakewalk. No one would blame the Rockets if they had one of the worst records in the league, but instead they're beating the crap out of some of the league's best teams and are among the best offensive squads in the league.

RyanStorm
12-24-2012, 01:53 AM
After watching and reading as much as I can about the west coast, I do have to admit Pacific might be the secret killer, and SW could revive and be #1 here soon.

Clippers and GS are amazing teams, and so are the lakers even without the wins. Phoenix is just slacking off and needs to get into the .400's before I say Pacific. Sacremento needs to toughen up and start getting some wins. All 5 are teams who can win, two just aren't playoff material so far.

SAS has been a dynasty that was around since Utah's ended. Memphis has really been the surprise team for me, and was the most unlikely to be in the top 4. As of right now, this is the only division that has 2 teams, who I believe will make the playoffs in the top 4(SAS and Memphis; along with OKC and LAC). I can't say 2 from NW will be in playoffs, let alone top 4.

SW has Houston who has won some games putting them up there, I mean they would #2 if in the NW. Lin and Harden make them a threat which will take them far, easily a playoff if they can mature up and get them wins! If they had a few others they would be a sure fire in the playoffs by now.
So SW has 3 amazing teams right now, who are doing better than all of NW(except OKC).

However Dallas is the biggest upset this year. I use to think Dallas was so great, but with Dirk out, you only got 3 guys who won dallas the title in 2011.
Dallas had Kidd, Novak, Chandler, Jason Terry, and Stojakovic, who are gone, which is why they won the title. With Dirk and Marion added to that, that is the biggest line up of a great players(which use to be good enough).
However Dallas now has OJ Majo, Chris Kaman, Derek Fisher, Vince Carter and some others. So I have no idea why they aren't getting wins...they really need Dirk back. And when he does, Dallas is going to be just as tough as ever, I mean good enough to revive their season! Were looking at having 4 teams better than all of NW(except OKC).

Which means were going to have two divisions with enough talent to fill the 8 spots, with 1 extra!

The only problem with SW, they have the worst team in the West. If SAS can take the #1 in the west spot, or dallas gets into the .500, I would move my opinion over. I am partially there, even with a Utah win tonight.

Honestly I don't think having a .500 is gonna get you a playoff spot this year. Right now we got 10 guys with .500+, with 2 others who will surly be there soon enough. So maybe having all 5 at .500 might not be as amazing, if another has 3 in the .600's.

My prediction:

NW-OKC, Minn, Utah
Pacific-LAC, GS
SW-SAS, Memphis, Houston

This is crazy to say, because this means Lakers and Dallas wouldn't make it. Nor would portland or denver. Then assumes Phoenix and Sacremento wont make a come back.

JEDean89
12-24-2012, 02:25 AM
don't know the best but the central divison is by far the worst.

JNoel
12-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Lullz Dnewguy

c.c.
12-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Houston and Dallas are lacking? Exclude Houston, we are 6th in the West!

RyanStorm
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I meant to say slacking for Houston...they should be much, much better, Dallas is really lacking, but Dirk is back, and now I believe they will be better than ever. I truly think both Dallas and Houton should be better than all of the NW, and able to beat OKC.

However, they are still in the same Par as Minn and Utah. Although I expect this to change rapidly. Current standings are fluxuating everyday. Denver and Portland are just doing so good that its hard to see that which is better of the four below OKC. I think Portland and Utah will be the most underestimated.

Honestly it is so hard to say. Like I said there is enough talent between these two divisions to fill up 9 spots. Still leaving Pacific, who has 2 set teams(LAC, GS), and 1 who always makes it(LAL).

I guess I am just hoping Utah makes it. Houston is off the hook, I mean they got two of the biggest talents Lin and Harden. This is enough to beat teams like OKC and LAC. Utah still hasn't found their top guys. Pretty much we got 4-5 guys randomly hitting 15+ pts a night, with 7-8 guys getting 10+ on winning nights(so everyone needs to do good to win, cause we don't have a Harden who makes his points everynight).

I would think Minn and Houston will easily fill the last 4 spots, but that still leaves LAL and Dallas, who should also make it. Which is saying Utah, Denver, Portland, and Golden State not making it(Which is crazy cause GS is gonna make it, with the current top 4).

Based off everything I know, GS, LAL, Houston will make the playoffs easily, with Dallas, Minn and Utah, fighting to fit in the 8th spot. I just think Dallas is gonna make a come back, and Houston will build a great season. Utahs fate looks blurry, unlike these other teams.

Alayla
12-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Atlantic The sixers will eventually pick it up and mabye make the playoffs without bynum let alone if he comes back.
and the raptors are not AS bad as they are playing still bad though