PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams resting on his laurels - and fat wallet

Gators123
12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandro/index.ssf/2012/12/dalessandro_deron_williams_holding_on_too_tight.ht ml#incart_river_default

NEW YORK — Good morning, Deron Williams.

Thanks for coming, have a seat.

We figured it was time to have this chin-wag — even after a decent but disappointing night at the Garden — because you’re a sensitive soul who needs to be approached carefully even when we venture into something intended as a friendly critique.

This has less to do with how you play — which is bad enough, you readily admit nowadays — than how you act, which is just one evening gown shy of a diva. And by now you may have sensed that everyone around you seems unwilling to share their candid observations with you.

We heard you blame your troubles on coach Avery Johnson, and pine for the days when that wise old crank in Utah ran stuff that was better suited to your individual skills.

Trust us: The national response was raucous laughter, because you were the guy responsible for getting Jerry Sloan to decide after 27 years that he’d rather live with his 30 tractors in McLeansboro, Ill., than put up with your insubordination.

Now you say Sloan was best for your career, not to mention the $100 million contract that validates it? That’s rich.

Sure, revisionist history was worth a shot, but our only takeaway was more sympathy for Avery. He’s done what he had to do with this offense: Establish Brook Lopez, get Joe Johnson acclimated quickly, and whatever sugar remains goes to Deron and Gerald Wallace.

Whether the point guard likes it or not is irrelevant. You make it work. You lead.
And when you miss game-winning shots against the Bulls and Knicks, with no defender in the same ZIP code, you blame yourself — period.

Of course, the lack of accountability is also management’s fault. We recall those stories about you finishing practice and heading up to Billy King’s office to plop yourself on the couch — where even the new boss chuckled along when you called yourself “the assistant GM.” Haw!

But if you understand the GM-player relationship, you know this is a problem. Because with the exception of one guy in San Antonio, no player should have this kind of entitlement. Not even LeBron James, who once prided himself on his ability to hold a franchise hostage, would presume to have this kind of influence.

Everyone knows the power you brandish in Brooklyn, and they have no choice but to enable it. But now they wonder whether you’ll understand that it comes with responsibility.

Consider that locker room you whined about last season. You were the captain. What did you do about it, other than complain?

Funny thing: Back then, whenever someone said “best PG,” you automatically thought Chris Paul and D-Will — zero debate. Now, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving and Rajon Rondo reside at the top of that list, and Deron Williams barely cracks the top 10.

“You could easily argue that Raymond Felton is having a better year than Deron,” a former D-3 point guard named Jeff Van Gundy said before this game last night.

Then the ESPN analyst said this: “I’m trying to figure out how this guy, who was among the very best point guards, is shooting the ball so poorly — and it’s not just this year.

“I mean, does he work at it? For all we’ve heard lately from him by way of explanations, eventually shouldn’t you look in the mirror?”

Van Gundy mentioned that he asked you whether being on poor teams affected how you work, and you replied, “No.” You know where that was going: JVG’s favorite work-ethic cautionary tale is about Derek Harper arriving in New York in ’94, and needing Pat Riley to “coach the Dallas out of him.”

See, Harper thought he worked hard, and everyone was thrilled to have him, but he had picked up a laundry list of bad habits with the then-horrid Mavs. He had to be told the stakes had changed, and he had to change with them. It took a while, but ultimately Harp led the Knicks to the NBA Finals.

Anyway, you told Van Gundy that no such lag exists with you — that the 25-42 on your Nets record does not affect your prep in any way. And he believed you.

Then we noticed that your warm-up tonight consisted of about 60 shots in 10 minutes. Sure, it’s the second night of a back-to-back. But 60 shots for a guy shooting .389 and .292 from 3? A guy who has shot .396 since he left Utah?

For the leader of a team that has gone 2-8 this month, including this 100-86 loss at the Garden, with the only victories coming against the Pistons and Raptors?
Hope it was a constructive shootaround, young fella.

For a minute there, you almost got away with it. You had a good first half, and five great minutes to start the third — rhythm shots, ball movement, different speeds — and your team was a plus-8, leading 61-57.

Then, out of a timeout, you forgot to sink in pick-and-roll coverage, which resulted in one of Tyson Chandler’s six dunks; and shot an air ball that made everything go sideways.

Ultimately, it turned into a typical night — for the Nets and their captain. Maybe it changes, maybe it doesn’t. We’re here today to suggest that it’s entirely up to you. Hopefully you agree. Now please get off our couch.

Ouch.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Who is this writer? how could someone that has never played at a high level talk about someone ?

AddiX
12-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Damn, that was some ether.

It's true though, derons shot is so bad last night I watched the Knicks basically give him all the shots he wanted. He looks lost out there at times too.

sammyvine
12-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Was always overrated

Laughed when people said he was the best PG in the league and top 10 player.

benzni
12-20-2012, 12:35 PM
he is so lost right now with his shot

Tysons_Beard
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
:p

sixer04fan
12-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Never liked how things went down with Jerry Sloan. Haven't liked Deron since.

kobe4thewinbang
12-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Rondo's jumpshot is better at this point.

onlythisfar41
12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Well its pretty clear that as of now he absolutely does not deserve that contract that the Nets gave him. Best things the Nets can hope for is that he even mildly turns it around because if this continues then you just put yourself in a world of trouble by giving such big money to a player thats not playing up to snuff.

Hes supposed to be the leader and everyone on that team is supposed to follow based off what he's doing. With the Knicks everything starts with Carmelo. He sets the table and everyone else ups their game to match him and thats what youre seeing this year. With Deron hes not playing anywhere close to an elite level and the team is playing down because of it.

Like someone else already said in here, the Knicks were basically daring him to shoot last night and he wasnt coming through. Also mentioned in the article was his missed game winning shot against the Knicks the last time they played. When that ball went out to him on the wing I held my breath for a second because he was so wide open that you figured there was no way he would miss. Instead he clanked it bad and the Knicks end up with a W. Old Deron would have buried that shot, however the Deron thats been on the court since he joined the Nets is not anywhere close to the same guy that was talked about as 1A to Chris Paul.

Just hope for Nets fans sake that this doesnt end up destroying the team down the road because I truly would love for nothing more than to have a great rivalry between us and them.

SlimKid
12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
The comments he made about Sloan's system fitting him better were ridiculous. Not because they were wrong, well you know where I'm going with this... Sloan should still be coaching, that is all.

NYKnickFanatic
12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Rondo's jumpshot is better at this point.

Ouch. :laugh2:

ecorrea
12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
dwill never had a game winning shot opportunity against chicago. get yo facts straight writer!!

Heatcheck
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Who is this writer? how could someone that has never played at a high level talk about someone ?

what is this obsession with having to play t game to talk about it? the things he's dong are obvious, they aren't little intricacies of the game. you don't need game experiences to identify this stuff because we've played though 70 some odd years of pro ball, and its ALL been done before.

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Whew!!!! Somebody ought to count to ten.

Slide over some, Pacquiao.

Nighthawk
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Ouch. :laugh2:

I believe Rondo has the top FG % FROM 15 to 20 ft for guards...crazy

waveycrockett
12-20-2012, 01:11 PM
DWill playing horrible. Nothing a new coach can't fix.

JerseysFinest
12-20-2012, 01:11 PM
He's absolutely right. I hope Deron reads that.

He's far from a bad player, but this year, I'm not sure what has gotten into him. It's amazing.

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Avery Johnson is a good coach. It's the players that need to get their *ish together.

ecorrea
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
16.8ppg, 8.2assists, 3rb, 17.36 per

i mean thats not bad, havent seen many games, but its really just his fg% which can be improved upon pretty easily. brand new team, gotta find his flow, it will happen...

JerseysFinest
12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Avery Johnson is a good coach. It's the players that need to get their *ish together.

I think it's reversed. Yes the players are to blame as well, but I'm starting to believe a lot of their struggles lie on Johnson. It's not like the Nets lack the talent, they have a very solid group of guys. They look like they've checked out, they look like they don't even care. They need someone new fast before the situations gets much worse than it is now.

rubx3
12-20-2012, 01:23 PM
the new amare stoudemire

BBallfan8
12-20-2012, 01:26 PM
16.8ppg, 8.2assists, 3rb, 17.36 per

i mean thats not bad, havent seen many games, but its really just his fg% which can be improved upon pretty easily. brand new team, gotta find his flow, it will happen...

With so much talent at PG in the NBA right now, he is playing like an average NBA point guard. He is 20th in the NBA in PER among point guards. He isn't necessarily playing "bad", but that's not what you want from your star player.

VillaMaravilla
12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
How is Avery to blame for Derons crappy shooting? Or that they picked up one of the most overated players with a contract worse then Amares....its the players my dude not the coach, the media hyped this team to be something it never was and now they all have egg on their faces, I mean really who do they really have on this team a center who could barely stay healthy who plays no type of defense a shooting guard is crazy inconsistent for years now a pg who seems like hes just going threw tge motions now after those 3 what a couple role players?

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I think it's reversed. Yes the players are to blame as well, but I'm starting to believe a lot of their struggles lie on Johnson. It's not like the Nets lack the talent, they have a very solid group of guys. They look like they've checked out, they look like they don't even care. They need someone new fast before the situations gets much worse than it is now.

I've watched you guys a bit this year. You run nice plays, particularly double screens/picks for Deron which leave him open at the key. Wide open shots.

More disturbingly, Felton has serious trouble guarding Deron: he is too strong and fast. I fully expect him to have a big game every time we play.

Consistency is the key. Deron and Joe have not been consistent. I'm starting to wonder if certain players are freelancing and not getting into sets.

I just think that Avery deserves better than the trashing he has received of late. He stuck with the team through all of its struggles last year and never complained. The last thing he needs is malcontent insubordinates poisoning the locker room.

JerseysFinest
12-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I've watched you guys a bit this year. You run nice plays, particularly double screens/picks for Deron which leave him open at the key. Wide open shots.

More disturbingly, Felton has serious trouble guarding Deron: he is too strong and fast. I fully expect him to have a big game every time we play.

Consistency is the key. Deron and Joe have not been consistent. I'm starting to wonder if certain players are freelancing and not getting into sets.

I just think that Avery deserves better than the trashing he has received of late. He stuck with the team through all of its struggles last year and never complained. The last thing he needs is malcontent insubordinates poisoning the locker room.

Being consistent is the key, but I feel like from watching the game you can tell they're playing with such apathy. They aren't playing with heart, sometimes they look just downright lazy out there. Wallace is honestly the only player playing like he cares, maybe Andray as well. Everyone seems so passive. You're right, it isn't all on Avery because Avery isn't responsible for them missing shots. But the thing is more is expected of him because the talent level is risen considerably over the last year.

And I wouldn't say Deron is "poisoning" the locker room, but maybe the entire team feels like they need a change? I don't know, we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

JerseysFinest
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
How is Avery to blame for Derons crappy shooting? Or that they picked up one of the most overated players with a contract worse then Amares....its the players my dude not the coach, the media hyped this team to be something it never was and now they all have egg on their faces, I mean really who do they really have on this team a center who could barely stay healthy who plays no type of defense a shooting guard is crazy inconsistent for years now a pg who seems like hes just going threw tge motions now after those 3 what a couple role players?

That's beyond hyperbole, it is way too early to be calling him Amar'e Stoudemire. He's definitely in a funk right now with injuries and confidence, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's on Amare's level. Say what you will about this team, but they do have the talent. It's too early to be making claims about this or that, people just have to be patient. Of course the Nets did themselves no favors by hyping themselves up, but what they're learning first hand is this is not going to happen overnight.

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Being consistent is the key, but I feel like from watching the game you can tell they're playing with such apathy. They aren't playing with heart, sometimes they look just downright lazy out there. Wallace is honestly the only player playing like he cares, maybe Andray as well. Everyone seems so passive. You're right, it isn't all on Avery because Avery isn't responsible for them missing shots. But the thing is more is expected of him because the talent level is risen considerably over the last year.

And I wouldn't say Deron is "poisoning" the locker room, but maybe the entire team feels like they need a change? I don't know, we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

I've had a question. Marshon Brooks, is his defense really that bad that he isn't used more? Kid can ball and could be scary good.

Deron
Marshon
Joe Johnson
Crash
Lopez

I think that lineup makes you guys faster and more dangerous. No offense, but I have no clue what Humphries is doing out there.

TheMoneyTeam
12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Could never keep defenses honest because his shooting isn't decent enough. Its an uphill battle for Williams.

Sadds The Gr8
12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
owned

AddiX
12-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I've had a question. Marshon Brooks, is his defense really that bad that he isn't used more? Kid can ball and could be scary good.

Deron
Marshon
Joe Johnson
Crash
Lopez

I think that lineup makes you guys faster and more dangerous. No offense, but I have no clue what Humphries is doing out there.

Looking for any opportunity he can to jump. It's really the only time you'll notice him.

And Brooks doesn't play because he is awful at everything but shooting, and is built like a crack baby.

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 02:02 PM
And Brooks doesn't play because he is awful at everything but shooting, and is built like a crack baby.

:laugh: AddiX, That is just wrong!!!!!

Stinkyoutsider
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I think, besides Williams playing hurt (so I heard), I think his confidence is completely shot. That is destroying his game right now...

When you think in the back of your mind that you may have a problem making a shot, you most likely won't make the shot. He's thinking too much. He needs to stop worrying about things and just go play.

I think the writer of the column is right but I think he's being too critical of Williams in a way. People expect him to carry his team to the title (based on past performances) but I don't think he's capable right now. Brookland made a good move by trying to get as many star players around Williams as possible so he can be comfortable and play his game without worrying about carrying the club. But, it's not working that way right now. A lot of people still want Williams to carry the team...

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
that is honestly one of the best article i've read all month...the writer hit it directly on the head...of course this chump DoMeFavors doesnt agree ahahahaha

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Whew!!!! Somebody ought to count to ten.

Slide over some, Pacquiao.

HAHAHAHAHAHA post of the day

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

:facepalm: guess you missed the whole point of the article numb nuts

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Deron
Marshon
Joe Johnson
Crash
Lopez

humpries is out there because they need somebody to make up for lopez lack of rebounding...humpries is a solid player regardless of how much of a dork he is...i would take humpries on the knicks in a heartbeat, i love the way he plays

ZHawk1123
12-20-2012, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I don't think non-Celtics fans are aware that he really isn't a bad shooter anymore.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2012, 02:33 PM

:laugh2:

This made me lol.

sep11ie
12-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Look who's talking...

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Look who's talking...

well said hahaha

benzni
12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Look who's talking...

:cool:

smith&wesson
12-20-2012, 02:49 PM
funny thing is when he brought up being a system player first thing came to my mind was how jerry sloan left the game after soo many years because of this guy.

last time i was actually excited about d.wills game was when he was in turkey.

JiffyMix88
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Honestly if you're a pro ball player and a guard at that and people leave 4 feet between you and them he should be top for gaurds in fg percentage. It's crazy he isn't.

GiantsSwaGG
12-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Childress shot is better than his

GiantsSwaGG
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
:facepalm: guess you missed the whole point of the article numb nuts

:laugh2:

More-Than-Most
12-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Yea D-Will just looks lost.

WAYNEBO
12-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Agreed... he has proven it in the past, so we all know he has it in him. Avery needs to go.

TopsyTurvy
12-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the criticism of Williams at all considering the Nets are still a new group playing together. Sure he's appeared disconnected with his teammates on the floor, but that's got less to do with any specific individual than the coaching.

:shrug:

colinskik
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Look who's talking...

Got him!

LongWayFromHome
12-20-2012, 04:43 PM

I think the most talented Mavs squad in history would disagree.

D-Leethal
12-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I think the most talented Mavs squad in history would disagree.

I wouldn't call a team starting Devin Harris, Josh Howard and Erick Dampier the most talented Mavs squad ever. If anything, Avery should get some kudos for having those guys play the best ball of their careers and play championship level basketball, making it to the finals and following it up with 67 wins. They got housed in round 1 by a team that had their # but Avery did a very good job in Dallas. My main point is though, that those Avery teams weren't the most talented Mavs teams in history.

Greedy22
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't understand the criticism of Williams at all considering the Nets are still a new group playing together. Sure he's appeared disconnected with his teammates on the floor, but that's got less to do with any specific individual than the coaching.

:shrug: Because he has been awful since 10-11 an shooting below 40% from the field since then and he's being dared to shoot by opposing teams.

TopsyTurvy
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Because he has been awful since 10-11 an shooting below 40% from the field since then and he's being dared to shoot by opposing teams.

... and nearly every individual effort in basketball can be trumped by team play or lack thereof. I get that Williams hasn't been performing. I was at the Bulls vs. Nets game that Nets fans seem miffed about, saw how disjointed the Nets looked offensively, and I don't think the problem is Williams at all. His struggles came as a result of the team often not running any semblance of offense and reverting to isolation basketball.

The problem was the Nets' inability to get other players not-named Lopez going. Williams' production in the game (poor or otherwise) was indicative of failing to successfully engage Wallace or Johnson on the offensive side of the ball.

Edit: There isn't one "efficient" shooter in the Nets starting lineup which is part of the reason why any sort of zone/daring them to shoot is so effective. They score down low through Lopez, by volume, or by the streakiness of Johnson.

seikou8
12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
psd d-will is still better than wstbrook or is hump better than stat

DoMeFavors
12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Sloan had stockton and malone and couldnt win a ship, Sloan is a bum. Sloan can thank Dwill, Malone,Stackton ex for the wins in his lousy career. This guy is a thug that fought players. Get him out of the nba and forever out of the nba. old man go to a retirement home oldie.

WAYNEBO
12-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Going down on your ship must be code for lovemaking aka dickriding Dwill and Slopez.

29$JerZ
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Sloan had stockton and malone and couldnt win a ship, Sloan is a bum. Sloan can thank Dwill, Malone,Stackton ex for the wins in his lousy career. This guy is a thug that fought players. Get him out of the nba and forever out of the nba. old man go to a retirement home oldie.

how could someone that has never played at a high level talk about someone ?

Answer yourself

Bubba313
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey Nets, you wanted New York, now feel the wrath of the New York media

ldawg
12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Deron Williams was the perfect pg for the triangle. He was never the run and gun hi octane type pg

DoMeFavors
12-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Hey Nets, you wanted New York, now feel the wrath of the New York media

he has covered the nets for the last 5 years....that is before ny

Knick4Knack
12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Proky had best get his minions in line. Sleeping on the GM's couch? Really?

King should have given him the hot foot, followed by a good seltzer water sprayin'.

Bubba313
12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
he has covered the nets for the last 5 years....that is before ny

Except now your problems are at the national forefront instead of hiding in the Prudential Center. Just wait, it will get worse.

ewing
12-20-2012, 06:53 PM

:shrug:

Coaches don't make you sink open jumpshots. DWill problem is somehow he lost his J. Nothing Avery can do about that (and don't like Avery)

DoMeFavors
12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Except now your problems are at the national forefront instead of hiding in the Prudential Center. Just wait, it will get worse.

lol there is no difference at all...good try tho

sammyvine
12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
that's what happens when you run a great coach out of town