PDA

View Full Version : Power Ranking

tlynch
12-19-2012, 02:26 PM
They say that the best way to get an accurate prediction, is to create a fair market and put money on the line.

I have not completely figured it out, but my idea is a betting league, where each participant has to rank all the teams in the NBA and then bets are automatically placed on their behalf, based on their ranking list. When the experts do their power rankings, they have nothing on the line.

To clarify - let's say 100 people each place $100 in a pool, and they all have to rank all of the NBA Teams in order, from best to worst. Over the next 7 days, whenever the system sees a match up, where two participants disagree on which team is better, a bet is placed. So if I have:

1. New York
2. Heat
3. San Antonio
4. Memphis
5. New Jersey

And someone else has (for example only...)

1. New Jersey
2. New York
2. Heat

A bet would be placed tonight, because my rankings would say NY would win, and the other person thinks that NJ would win. The odds might be determined by the difference in rank - for instance - I say NY is 4 spots better than Jersey, and the other person says NJ is only one spot better, so the odds would be in their favor - maybe they would be given 3 points.

---

Rules could be created where you have to pay to re-rank your teams, or you are only allowed a limited number of changes per week.

---

Are there any games that create a market for NBA teams like this?

(On a side note: I always think that the BCS should be based on who would be willing to bet real money on what team)

benzni
12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
New Jersey still has a team?

tripleplay2007
12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Clippers aren't good enough to make your top 5? :O