PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan is a beast

TRF929
12-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Putting up 31/18/6/2/5 is easily MVP status and at his age only enhances the pure awesomeness. He's only the third player to post that kind of stat line past the age of 30. He's consistently shown that if given the minutes he can go to beast mode. He will surely be missed when he retires, but we still get a good 2-3 years until that happens. Anyone that's able to talk down about this guy is purely just jealous.

Would you vote him MVP if he continues to put up numbers, making him a 3 time winner?

eso
12-19-2012, 07:05 AM
if he put up those numbers every night well yes, :) but come on now man, Timmy is the greatest PF of all time but that father age guy loses to nobody..

CavsYanksDuke
12-19-2012, 07:34 AM
No MVP, but that's an amazing stat line regardless of age. He's simply the best pure PF ever.

HowFit
12-19-2012, 07:44 AM
No....

Heediot
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
No MVP, but that's an amazing stat line regardless of age. He's simply the best pure PF ever.

I would argue he's not a pure PF, more of a hybrid big man capable of playing both the 4/5 efficiently and effectively, offensively and defensively.

MickeyMgl
12-19-2012, 07:59 AM
One of the better centers of all time.

JJ_JKidd
12-19-2012, 08:05 AM
One of my most favorite players of all time. :clap:

benzni
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
one of the best

DaBUU
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Legend

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
He wouldn't get voted MVP, although he should be at the very least in the discussion. The fact that he has done this with the tough schedule they've had is impressive. If he's able to maintain this level of play, I don't see how he's not in the top 10.

ManRam
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
"Tim Duncan is still a beast" would have been the more appropriate title.

Amazing year. Pretty remarkable what he's doing.

D-Leethal
12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Dude is unbelievable. Enjoy it while you can. Best PF of all time.

setman2000
12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Popovich played Duncan 40 MINUTES last night - he wanted that win bad! But...FAIL - Nuggies won!

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Popovich played Duncan 40 MINUTES last night - he wanted that win bad! But...FAIL - Nuggies won!

Of course you want to win, that's the objective every night. :confused:

And he played so many minutes because he didn't play a lot last night, and they don't play again till Friday, so he wanted him to get a good run. Not to mention the fact he was just dominant on both ends.

Chronz
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Of course you want to win, that's the objective every night. :confused:

And he played so many minutes because he didn't play a lot last night, and they don't play again till Friday, so he wanted him to get a good run. Not to mention the fact he was just dominant on both ends.

Not for the Spurs, they would gladly lose a few games to rest their stars, but whenever they play Duncan 40 minutes, you know they want it bad.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
One of my most favorite players of all time. :clap:

Him and JKidd man. Hurts watching him on the Knicks but I still root for him

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Not for the Spurs, they would gladly lose a few games to rest their stars, but whenever they play Duncan 40 minutes, you know they want it bad.

I disagree, it's not a game they wanted bad. Like I said Pop likes to get Duncan more playing time when they have days off coming up, or when he is playing the way he was last night in that kind of rhythm. And like I said coming off a day prior where he did not play a lot of minutes or very well for that matter, it makes perfect sense. He's done this before with Tim, and in previous games it's not a case where he wants to win bad. It's just the situation that was at hand.

sp1derm00
12-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Timmy and Kobe are both playing at incredible levels this season. With all the youth and athleticism flying around in the league, it's amazing how these two are doing it based on their fundamentals and experience more than anything else.

They're showing why they're two of the greatest to ever lace them up. Hopefully it's not their "swan song" seasons and they are able to keep this level of play for a few more seasons... but what a way to go if they can both maintain their levels of play.

torocan
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
"Tim Duncan is still a beast" would have been the more appropriate title.

Amazing year. Pretty remarkable what he's doing.

This.

Sadly, outside of basketball circles Tim Duncan never really got the sort of national fame/recognition that he truly deserves.

We're very lucky to see a player of his caliber in real life vs grainy hardwood classic tapes. There are very few PF's that have been, are or will be as anywhere near as good or technically sound as Tim Duncan.

Jint.
12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
goat milk..

jt1bui
12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I watched the game, he played very well but wouldn't say he dominated both ends of the floor. He scored 31 points but had to put up 25 shots for it. Nothing against him, he's a great player and one of the better big men in the history of the NBA.

Chronz
12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I disagree, it's not a game they wanted bad. Like I said Pop likes to get Duncan more playing time when they have days off coming up, or when he is playing the way he was last night in that kind of rhythm. And like I said coming off a day prior where he did not play a lot of minutes or very well for that matter, it makes perfect sense. He's done this before with Tim, and in previous games it's not a case where he wants to win bad. It's just the situation that was at hand.
Do you recall these events, not that I dont believe you but it seems hard to imagine Pop doing that.

Over the last 3 years hes only topped 40 minutes 4 times (38MPG=7x). In ALL of them the game was hanging in the balance. It doesn't sound like Pop to just play Duncan on a whim knowing how much they value rest, I think he read the situation and felt it was worth going for the win by doing something he rarely does, riding Duncan for 40 minutes. I think the fact that they were coming off a loss and there being no games for a few days definitely influenced the decision, but I also think your asking alot from us to assume him logging these kind of minutes in close games is simply coincidental.

But agree to disagree

nickdymez
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
How is Lebron "By far the MVP this year", but Tim duncan isnt? He's playing in a far superirior conference with less superstar talent on his roster. His numbers arent as big as LBJ, but they are impressive and MVP caliber if you ask me. My all time favorite player and by far the best PF ever.

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Do you recall these events, not that I dont believe you but it seems hard to imagine Pop doing that.

Over the last 3 years hes only topped 40 minutes 4 times (38MPG=7x). In ALL of them the game was hanging in the balance. It doesn't sound like Pop to just play Duncan on a whim knowing how much they value rest, I think he read the situation and felt it was worth going for the win by doing something he rarely does, riding Duncan for 40 minutes. I think the fact that they were coming off a loss and there being no games for a few days definitely influenced the decision, but I also think your asking alot from us to assume him logging these kind of minutes in close games is simply coincidental.

But agree to disagree

Not necessarily 40 minutes, but well over his season average at times.

And last night, they were down big heading into the 4th (90-75) and Denver had all the momentum, I wouldn't exactly call it close when he chose to bring him back in. Tim Duncan never starts 4th quarters. That's just not the way the rotation is, he usually brings him back maybe with 7-8 minutes left depending on the situation.

Everyone who knows Pop knows he will not hesitate to pull the starters and let the bench finish the game out. The fact that he let Tim start the 4th quarter shows me he just wanted him to get some more run. The Spurs just so happened to cut into the lead. In fact, just the night before in OKC, they were down similarly heading into the 4th and never brought the starters back in with a similar score, despite them again cutting into the lead and bringing the deficit to 9.

Again, I am going based off what I have seen Pop/Spurs do over the years, in terms of routine, rotations, etc... and not necessarily numbers. Cause there could be times, where he plays limited in the first half, and then plays the majority of the 2nd half (which would be why you wouldn't see it showing up as +40MPG) if the Spurs were playing anyone last night and had 2 days off following, and were in a similar situation (losing big) Pop would do the same thing with Tim regardless of the opponent (unless he was struggling)

It's hard to believe with the numbers not exactly showing that, but just from knowing the tendencies of this team is where this is coming from.

:cheers:

Baller1
12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
There's virtually no chance of him getting MVP this season. Durant and Lebron are simply too good... But he's been incredible this season, and it's fun to watch.

All-NBA First team for sure.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Duncan was great last night. So was Gallinari. :)

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
There's virtually no chance of him getting MVP this season. Durant and Lebron are simply too good... But he's been incredible this season, and it's fun to watch.

All-NBA First team for sure.

I wouldn't even go that far even if he maintains this high level of play. And not cause he wouldn't be deserving either...

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Duncan was great last night. So was Gallinari. :)

Like Pop said, Gallo's 3's ripped our hearts out last night! :mad:

Baller1
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't even go that far even if he maintains this high level of play. And not cause he wouldn't be deserving either...

Unfortunately, you're probably right. He'd be on mine though, at least so far this season. I'd probably go:

Westbrook
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Duncan

You could probably swap either of the guards out for guys like CP3 or Parker.

tripleplay2007
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Not an MVP candidate at this stage in his career but he still has MVP caliber nights. He's a legend and one of the best posts to ever play the game.

Did you guys know that he opted to stay college so he could get a bachelors because that was his mom's dying wish instead of taking millions going to the NBA a little early.

nickdymez
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Not an MVP candidate at this stage in his career but he still has MVP caliber nights. He's a legend and one of the best posts to ever play the game.

Did you guys know that he opted to stay college so he could get a bachelors because that was his mom's dying wish instead of taking millions going to the NBA a little early.

So your saying regardless of numbers and team success, he shouldnt win the MVP?

SLY WILLIAMS
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Like Pop said, Gallo's 3's ripped our hearts out last night! :mad:

Yeah I saw Pop said that. :)

That was a entertaining ending. How many 3 point shots did SA take on that last possession? 3? 4? 5?

kdspurman
12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah I saw Pop said that. :)

That was a entertaining ending. How many 3 point shots did SA take on that last possession? 3? 4? 5?

Don't even remind me. Manu should've taken that quick layup, considering no one could hit a 3 to save their lives last night! Try and extend the game as much as possible at that point and hope for missed FT's.

sp1derm00
12-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, you're probably right. He'd be on mine though, at least so far this season. I'd probably go:

Westbrook
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Duncan

You could probably swap either of the guards out for guys like CP3 or Parker.

I agree with everything except Westbrook...

It should be:

CP3
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Duncan

SLY WILLIAMS
12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Don't even remind me. Manu should've taken that quick layup, considering no one could hit a 3 to save their lives last night! Try and extend the game as much as possible at that point and hope for missed FT's.

I thought they were down by more than 3 at that time so I was wondering why they were passing up the layup but the ball was moving around fast so some of those 3's were pretty open when they took them.