PDA

View Full Version : Is PG really the position with the most depth? Or is it SF?

JerseyPalahniuk
12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
It's been argued the last few years that the PG position is at an all-time high in terms of valuable players while the Center position is declined. Here are 15-20 PG's and SF's in no particular order. Which position really is more stacked?

PGs
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Kyrie Irving
Damian Lillard
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Jrue Holiday
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowry
John Wall
Mike Conley
Jeremy Lin
Goran Dragic
Ty Lawson
Steve Nash
Tony Parker

SF
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Carmelo Anthony
Luol Deng
Gerald Wallace
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Evan Turner
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist
Kawhi Leonard
Harrison Barnes
Rudy Gay
Andrei Kirilenko
Andre Iguodala
Chandler Parsons
Nicholas Batum
Shawn Marion
Metta World Peace
Ersan Ilyasova

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
imo PGs..

Cal827
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Point Guard.

From the lists, I can point out 3 Starter Caliber PGs that aren't on it:

Parker
Nash
and to a lesser extent
Brandon Knight
Calderon
Collison

From your list of SF, I can't really think of others that you have left off that are starting caliber (You know unless Landry Fields counts)

Baller1
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
PG's by far. The depth of Allstar talent at PG easily trumps the SF position.

kingsdelez24
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Just ask the Kings... They have too many of both positions and they're all below average

JasonJohnHorn
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
While it is arguable that the best 3 players in the league right now are all SFs (LBJ, Durnat and Melo), I think overall depth goes to the PG position. I mean, there are guys like Calderon coming off the bench, and there are so many young PGs with great potnetial, while at the same time there are still a number of quality vets like Kidd, Nash and Miller.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Point Guard.

From the lists, I can point out 3 Starter Caliber PGs that aren't on it:

Parker
Nash
and to a lesser extent
Brandon Knight
Calderon
Collison

From your list of SF, I can't really think of others that you have left off that are starting caliber (You know unless Landry Fields counts)

Ahhh forgot Parker and Nash (was using a list from a previous thread). I wouldn't use me forgetting them as a reason though. I feel as though players like Batum/Deng/Iggy get overlooked by the Curry/Rubio/Jennings of the world simply because of the volume of points and/or assists the latter generate.

And I would take the top SFs (Lebron, Durant, Melo) over the top PGs.

Baller1
12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Ahhh forgot Parker and Nash (was using a list from a previous thread). I wouldn't use me forgetting them as a reason though. I feel as though players like Batum/Deng/Iggy get overlooked by the Curry/Rubio/Jennings of the world simply because of the volume of points and/or assists the latter generate.

And I would take the top SFs (Lebron, Durant, Melo) over the top PGs.

You're correct that the best players are at the SF position, but PG easily have the depth.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
You're correct that the best players are at the SF position, but PG easily have the depth.

What do you mean by best? I would also take Gerald/AK/Pierce over the next set of PG's as well. If by depth we're talking top 10 at each position, I would say SF. Top 15 is debatable. Anything beyond is PG

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
PGs hands down.

Swashcuff
12-18-2012, 03:45 PM
When I look to the bottom of that and see Artest and Illysova (who plays PF and has been God awful to start this season) I can safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt that its the PG.

Before the injuries to Dirk, Love, Amar'e and Pau and Garnett and TD becoming more or less full time Cs the PF position would have been the strongest IMO.

thekmp211
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
definitely PG's.

Swashcuff
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Dirk
Love
Pau
Millsap
Josh Smith (playing more SF this year than previous years however)
Bosh (play C this season still seen as an SF I mean Bron and Melo are both playing the PF)
Stoudemire
Griffin
LMA
Boozer
Anderson
Davis
David West
Thad Young
Kenneth Faried
Zach Randolph
Serge Ibaka
David Lee
Glen Davis

Honestly IMO the best way to tell the deepest position in the league is to make a list of the top 50 or so players in the league. What position we see featured on that list the most times wins. I'm quite certain though that we'd see mostly PGs and PFs in there.

Longhornfan1234
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Pg > sf > pf >>>>>>>>>>> c >>>> sg.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
PGs and PFs have the biggest list of really good players.

Minimal
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Make a list of 20 top players in the NBA and check how many players each position has in that list. I won't even make the list, I know its PG.

JdKing7
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Defiantly point guards. A lot of depth at the position even tho the top 3 players in the nba are arguably sf's. The depth at point guard is pretty remarkable imo.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Make a list of 20 top players in the NBA and check how many players each position has in that list. I won't even make the list, I know its PG.

That doesn't address the "depth" issue. Another post said top 50. That may be more reasonable.

MackSnackWrap
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Pg

Alayla
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
how is this a question PG

benzni
12-18-2012, 11:09 PM
PG's

Sactown
12-18-2012, 11:25 PM
PG's then PF's

--23--
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
PG's and PF's

TheNumber37
12-19-2012, 12:09 AM
It's OBVIOUSLY the Pg position.

After Lebron, Melo and Durant the talent falls off to second tier.