PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams: I'm a system player

JordansBulls
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8756203/deron-williams-brooklyn-nets-says-not-same-trade-utah-jazz

"I was injured the first year (and needed season-ending right wrist surgery)," Williams said Monday, a day before the Nets host the Jazz at Barclays Center. "I've really had injuries while I've been with (the Nets) the whole time. And didn't have the talent around me that I did (with the Jazz).

"And that system (in Utah) was a great system for my style of play. I'm a system player, and I loved Coach (Jerry) Sloan's system. I loved the offense there. We could've been a really good team. We just weren't that good defensively as a group."

Hawkeye15
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
I think this is kinda obvious. It hasn't just been the injuries, as many Nets fans want to say it is. He is not meant for a system that is asking him to take a lot of long jumpers, and not move the ball quickly. His production fell the moment Sloan retired.

HowBoutDemBulls
12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
JaVale McGee: I like turtles

PLAYERS FAN
12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Steve Nash is a system player too. Are not all point guards system players?

sep11ie
12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Thought he didn't like playing for Sloan?

Ebbs
12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd never admit this as a max money player personally lol

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
he is just being nice to the Jazz he isnt making any excuses. He isnt a system player.

AddiX
12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm Tired of hearing about "system pgs", like it's an excuse.

Any pg in the NBA would show improved stats in these fast paced wide open systems. Those systems are built for guards to flourish.

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
I been saying it.

I am glad he named dropped Sloan. Whether the rumors are true that he got Sloan fired (i think it's bs) Deron needs to acknowledge how much Sloan did for him. Avery's system is terrible for PGs

Kidd got to Dallas and immediately hated it. Devin Harris gets to NJ and explodes. Deron gets to Avery and starts plying like crap.

Avery's system caters to Brook Lopez's abilities and all the guards just run isos all day. It's ridiculous. Wallace has struggled, JJ has struggled, CJ has struggled, MarShon has struggled, Deron has struggled. Avery is a terrible offensive coach.

Has done a great job with the defense though given how little he has to work with.

What a dream it would be to have a Deron/Sloan reunion. Sloan is a rancher and would never move to Brooklyn at 70ys old.

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Thought he didn't like playing for Sloan?

Happens when you read too much internet bs. Deron has never said a bad thing about Sloan and always praises him.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 06:59 PM
I been saying it.

I am glad he named dropped Sloan. Whether the rumors are true that he got Sloan fired (i think it's bs) Deron needs to acknowledge how much Sloan did for him. Avery's system is terrible for PGs

Kidd got to Dallas and immediately hated it. Devin Harris gets to NJ and explodes. Deron gets to Avery and starts plying like crap.

Avery's system caters to Brook Lopez's abilities and all the guards just run isos all day. It's ridiculous. Wallace has struggled, JJ has struggled, CJ has struggled, MarShon has struggled, Deron has struggled. Avery is a terrible offensive coach.

Has done a great job with the defense though given how little he has to work with.

What a dream it would be to have a Deron/Sloan reunion. Sloan is a rancher and would never move to Brooklyn at 70ys old.

Next time you talk to Sloan on the phone can you tell him I said hi since you know so much about him. And for the record no Net lives in Brooklyn...he could live in NJ,NY,CT

Lakers + Giants
12-17-2012, 07:01 PM
he is just being nice to the Jazz he isnt making any excuses. He isnt a system player.

He is a system player. I'll take the player's word over yours. Nice try tho.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 07:03 PM
He is a system player. I'll take the player's word over yours. Nice try tho.

Ok so if a fat lady asks someone if she is fat and they say no to be nice, you believe them? come on thats just silly

colinskik
12-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Next time you talk to Sloan on the phone can you tell him I said hi since you know so much about him. And for the record no Net lives in Brooklyn...he could live in NJ,NY,CT

I thought Deron lived in BK? No?

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I thought Deron lived in BK? No?

SoHo

Ebbs
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM

:laugh: ahahahaha

ManRam
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Either the media was making a mound out of something less than a molehill, or he's had a change of thought....but everyone around Utah around the time he left made it seem like the two couldn't stand eachother.

Well, time for Avery Johnson to figure out how to make the offense a bit less foreign to him.

An easy first step would be to tone down on the three pointers.

sep11ie
12-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Happens when you read too much internet bs. Deron has never said a bad thing about Sloan and always praises him.

I figured if I heard it on PSD it had to be real...

waveycrockett
12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Omfg what timing!!! I feel like a genius!!!!

waveycrockett
12-17-2012, 07:22 PM
I respect him so much for this. Now hopefully we get rid of this bs offense and find a real coach. Stan Van wassup!!!

Lakers + Giants
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I respect him so much for this. Now hopefully we get rid of this bs offense and find a real coach. Stan Van wassup!!!

If nets do change their offensive system to fit D-Will and acquire players that fit D-Will's style then yes, they will be a legit threat.

tripleplay2007
12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
He's no doubt a system PG.

tripleplay2007
12-17-2012, 07:35 PM

I think that would be a great move for Brooklyn. Stan Van would do wonders.

Mr_Jones
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM

lol :facepalm:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-17-2012, 07:43 PM

what did i just read?

jayjay33
12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
If being a "system" player means you are better in certain systems. Then all player are system players. Lol

THE MTL
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
He is just making excuses for his poor play.

Deron Williams first half season with the Nets, he adjusted beautifully to that talentless system and averaged 13apg.

And last season, I consider him to have been great especially considering the talent he had around him.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
He was being nice to Utah last year also saying stuff that wasnt true, he is trying to sound like an angel infront of the fans. Truth is he hated UTah and Sloan and he loves Brooklyn and Avery.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
He was being nice to Utah last year also saying stuff that wasnt true, he is trying to sound like an angel infront of the fans. Truth is he hated UTah and Sloan and he loves Brooklyn and Avery.

Do you realize how childish and juvenile your argument sounds right about now?

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Do you realize how childish and juvenile your argument sounds right about now?

How can you tell how I sound? I am typing?.... they traded him for a reason because he didnt like Utah....and Sloan left because Deron wouldnt put up with his ****. This is a players league now run by the players, this isnt the 90s when coaches ran this league.

MonroeFAN
12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok so if a fat lady asks someone if she is fat and they say no to be nice, you believe them? come on thats just silly

:facepalm:

How is that anything like this situation with Deron? HE is claiming to be a system player. If a fat lady claimed to be fat, then yes I would believe her.

smith&wesson
12-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I remember him clashing with jerry sloan... now its " I loved sloans system and I'm a system player" not only did he cause his former coach to resign but way to throw your current coach under the buss as well Deron :facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

smith&wesson
12-17-2012, 08:17 PM
How can you tell how I sound? I am typing?.... they traded him for a reason because he didnt like Utah....and Sloan left because Deron wouldnt put up with his ****. This is a players league now run by the players, this isnt the 90s when coaches ran this league.

if your play isnt up to par, and hasnt been for a couple years now dont blame the system. specially since he destroyed the system he loved soo much in utah and caused his former coach to quit. one of the better coaches in nba history mind you.

Spurred1
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I would find it extremely difficult to love Avery,tbh. I always thought he would have benefitted from being an assistant coach a couple more years. He strikes me as a completely inflexible coach.

GiantsSwaGG
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Honestly Sloan thought he was bigger than any Jazz player bigger than the Team, he had a HUGE ego he was known to get in players faces even other teams players. His ego wouldnt let him be the number 2 to Deron when the Jazz said it was Deron who they wanted.

Deron>Sloan

GiantsSwaGG
12-17-2012, 08:19 PM

You eat paint chips don't you?

MonroeFAN
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM

How is that anything like this situation with Deron? HE is claiming to be a system player. If a fat lady claimed to be fat, then yes I would believe her.

What is your response to this? DoMeFavors?

Robbw241
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't think he needed a system. He just needed Sloan to keep him in line in terms of shot selection. Sloan limited Deron and cut down on his propensity to take bad shots making him a more efficient player. Avery just let's Deron do whatever the hell he wants i.e. take stupid shots, it was the same way at IU. He needs a coach like Sloan that won't take his crap.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
What is your response to this? DoMeFavors?

He isnt talking about himself he is talking about the Utah Jazz system, he is just being nice.

Greedy22
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Honestly Sloan thought he was bigger than any Jazz player bigger than the Team, he had a HUGE ego he was known to get in players faces even other teams players. His ego wouldnt let him be the number 2 to Deron when the Jazz said it was Deron who they wanted.

Deron>Sloan

Is talking out of your *** a hobby for you?

Just no, ever since Sloan lost his job due to him Deron's production has significantly declined.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Is talking out of your *** a hobby for you?

Just no, ever since Sloan lost his job due to him Deron's production has significantly declined.

its called Injuries, coaches have nothing to do with players.

MonroeFAN
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
He isnt talking about himself he is talking about the Utah Jazz system, he is just being nice.

Deron is a cocky dick-face... he's not 'just being nice'.

netsgiantsyanks
why do people still entertain DMF's ********?

MonroeFAN
I respect your ability to keep a straight face while spewing this non-sense.

GiantsSwaGG
12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
why do people still entertain DMF's ********?

He's the captain of the Nets fan base like jmoney...but he's banned for trolling

Spurred1
12-17-2012, 08:42 PM
its called Injuries, coaches have nothing to do with players.

Coaches have a major role on players' games. What are you talking about? I think we're seeing the effect of D'Antoni's listless coaching on the Lakers(sorry, not trying to offend Lakers fans), Woodson's defensive brain (and Chandler) running the Knicks to an amazing record, Pop succeeding and winning games even with multiple players out with injuries.
Hell, even in this thread, people are calling for Avery's head.
Coaches wind up getting shafted when it comes down to player vs. coach; they have just about everything to do with players.

netsgiantsyanks
12-17-2012, 08:48 PM
He's the captain of the Nets fan base like jmoney...but he's banned for trolling

....................no

netsgiantsyanks
12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
a baby dies every time DMF posts.

JasonJohnHorn
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd never admit this as a max money player personally lol

I think once you get the contract you can admit it ;-) lol

It's funny that he talks so fondly of Sloan now, but from my understanding he was the reason Sloan retired and the two didn't have a good working relationship. Maybe Sloan can come out of retirement and make D-Will good again.

Chill_Will_24
12-18-2012, 02:09 AM
I think once you get the contract you can admit it ;-) lol

It's funny that he talks so fondly of Sloan now, but from my understanding he was the reason Sloan retired and the two didn't have a good working relationship. Maybe Sloan can come out of retirement and make D-Will good again.

Except the Nets do not have the personnel to play Sloan's system (namely bigs that can pass and score and run the PnR well) and he would probably never leave his ranch to go coach the Nets in Brooklyn at 70ys old

Trade for Nene and have a solid PF rotation to run the PnR with Deron but no.. we insist on mis-utilizing Brook Lopez starting an idiot at PF and running a bunch of isos all day

Evolution23
12-18-2012, 02:23 AM
I remember him clashing with jerry sloan... now its " I loved sloans system and I'm a system player" not only did he cause his former coach to resign but way to throw your current coach under the buss as well Deron :facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

Finally some one who knows what they are talking about.

FOXHOUND
12-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Out of context it sounds like he's bashing himself, but if you read on he clears up what he means. He isn't saying he's a system player in a negative way, like the way people try to bash Tom Brady. He goes on to say that he's at his best in a structured system, relying on set plays that are all about timing and execution. He said he doesnt excel in the ISO heavy offense that the Nets are currently running.

This is normal for almost every PG in the NBA. The only PGs who would probably prefer the ISO heavy offense are Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook and Kyrie Irving, since that's pretty much how they play regardless.

I think Deron has played way below standards since becoming a Net. I think a huge part of that has been his health, he just hasn't been healthy at all. But the second biggest part is definitely the system. Deron thrives is the pick n roll, and even excelled at times as an off ball scorer.

All New Jersey does is run ISOs, and no true PG wants to, or will be at their best, doing that.

To play devils advocate, remember Chris Paul in New Orleans? Remember when he got hurt and missed a huge portion of the season? Remember when Darren Collison stopped in and averaged 18 and 9 on a very efficient shooting line? Did that make Paul a system PG or is the Princeton offense, when run correctly, a system that showcases a PGs ability?

Losoway
12-18-2012, 05:38 AM
avery johnson is a terrible coach.

Heediot
12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Good move announcing it after that 2nd Max contract. :laugh:

Heediot
12-18-2012, 08:58 AM
domefavors butchers another thread lol.

JasonJohnHorn
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Sounds like excuses to me...

JiffyMix88
12-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Ok so I see your name and see your join date and I was wondering since your a Nets fan and well does your name pertain to you wanting Derrek Favors to have sex with you anally?

ZHawk1123
12-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok so I see your name and see your join date and I was wondering since your a Nets fan and well does your name pertain to you wanting Derrek Favors to have sex with you anally?

:laugh2::box:

Rockice_8
12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm Tired of hearing about "system pgs", like it's an excuse.

Any pg in the NBA would show improved stats in these fast paced wide open systems. Those systems are built for guards to flourish.

That's the complete opposite of the system he's in.

The system is fine when they run it. D-Will is just missing open jumpers now (injuries) and when the game is on the line they start running iso plays for D-Will and JJ which is the sole reason they are losing all these games down the stretch. Stop with the iso plays and just stick to moving the ball.

Rockice_8
12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Except the Nets do not have the personnel to play Sloan's system (namely bigs that can pass and score and run the PnR well) and he would probably never leave his ranch to go coach the Nets in Brooklyn at 70ys old

Trade for Nene and have a solid PF rotation to run the PnR with Deron but no.. we insist on mis-utilizing Brook Lopez starting an idiot at PF and running a bunch of isos all day

I agree with most of this but I don't agree with the fact that Lopez can't be a good PnR guy. He's got great hands and a great scoring touch. The fact that they go to iso plays more then that is exactly what D-Will is referring to. He also needs to start sticking open jumpers, that's a huge reason why he isn't playing well too. They don't have a Durant or LBJ on their team to close out games. JJ can do it a few times down the floor but to ask him to close out the 4th with iso's every play is doomed for failure and their lack of closing out close games is proof.

When they run plays they score or get good looks almost every time yet they go away from it. That's Avery fault all the way.

Oldmantrash
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I feel like he is making excuses for not playing well.

Just shut up, and earn your contract.

He's a sulker, and I really worry about him ever being as good as all of us Nets fans hoped

ewing
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
When i played there were guys i didn't like playing with and one coach i couldn't stand. This did not stop me from hitting open jumpshots.