PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul's career

Becks2307
12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm really interested in this topic, I feel like Cp3 was never the same player after his injury, though he may have gotten smarter.

It's widely regarded that Cp3 is the best PG in the game but do you ever see him putting up his 2007-09 stats again?

His stats this season are lower across the board than that year. I know he has a lot less to do and his minutes are down (The Clips are a much better team than the Hornets of old) but even his shooting percentages etc are all lower than 2008.

1) Do you guys ever expect CP3 to put up 22-11 ever again? Will he even have to?

strahan92osi72
12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm really interested in this topic, I feel like Cp3 was never the same player after his injury, though he may have gotten smarter.

It's widely regarded that Cp3 is the best PG in the game but do you ever see him putting up his 2007-09 stats again?

His stats this season are lower across the board than that year. I know he has a lot less to do and his minutes are down (The Clips are a much better team than the Hornets of old) but even his shooting percentages etc are all lower than 2008.

1) Do you guys ever expect CP3 to put up 22-11 ever again? Will he even have to?

Not while playing with Blake, Crawford, Billups, etc. He doesn't have to put up thos kind of numbers on that team, the Clippers are a great team with plenty of scorers. CP3 had to put up stats like that when he was on the Hornets, just to make them compete. On the Clips, 18 and 8 seems more realistic.

Chronz
12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
His efficiency has essentially remained the same, Im not too optimistic on his future prospects but for the foreseeable future (next 2-3 years) hes as good as any PG and when hes at his best there is no one even close to matching him in terms of command of a game. Hes no longer a high scorer but his jumper is automatic if you leave him, you couldnt say that about him in his youth. So while his productive worth has declined, his intangibles have only strengthened. I hope I get at least another 2-3 years of this.

Becks2307
12-17-2012, 01:34 PM
His efficiency has essentially remained the same, Im not too optimistic on his future prospects but for the foreseeable future (next 2-3 years) hes as good as any PG and when hes at his best there is no one even close to matching him in terms of command of a game. Hes no longer a high scorer but his jumper is automatic if you leave him, you couldnt say that about him in his youth. So while his productive worth has declined, his intangibles have only strengthened. I hope I get at least another 2-3 years of this.

I think I'm just surprised that his assists numbers didn't skyrocket with all the weapons. He is playing only 33 mins a game but he hasn't been over 10apg for 3 seasons now.

Back in 2008 I thought he would eventually get up to 12-13 APG category for a couple years at some point in his career, now i'm not so sure.

NYKnickFanatic
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
He could put up those numbers again, IF he needed too. But that is just it, he doesnt need to do that anymore. He has guys around him that take a lot off his shoulders.

I expect him to have big games in the playoffs though. He is a fierce competitor.

Stinkyoutsider
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
No, I don't think he'll have to be as good of a scorer as he used to be but I think it's realistic to think he can match his 11 assists a game. Especially with guys like Griffin only getting better...

I think once Griffin improves more, I think Paul won't have to create quite as much either. The team will be able to rely on Griffin to be the number 1 option and draw doubles the entire game.

With the competitior Paul is though, I really wouldn't be surprised if he's this good for another 5 years? He hates to lose and that's a good motivator for any player to continue to put in top performances.

nycericanguy
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
2008-2009 CP3 was one of the greatest seasons I have ever seen a player have. A PG that averaged 23ppg, 11apg, 6rpg, 3spg, shot 50% from the field, 36% from 3, and 87% at the FT line.

I mean he was the best player in the game that year. I don't think we'll ever see that cp3 again, but he is still the best all around PG in the game and should be for another 2-3 years.

Becks2307
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
No one else thinks his injury affected him a bit?

nycericanguy
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

of course, he definitely lost a step in 2010, and to the previous poster, NO, I don't think CP3 has it in him to put up those same numbers anymore if he needed or wanted to, those were special years and he was completely healthy and more explosive.

Pluvious
12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

I disagree on the command of the game comment. I feel Nash the previous seasons still has come close to Paul's command of the game. Paul is a superior defender and still has the ability to play one on one basketball to get his shop up where Nash is now limited in that regard but Nash's effect on offense even the last couple of seasons is still as good. The comment is a little arbitrary though...

Pluvious
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm exactly where you're at by the way but I don't want to get in an argument with everyone.

blacknell
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I would rather have Derrick Rose or Rondo as my PG, but i think Paul is getting better i just wish he was more explosive

naps
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
May be he's a smarter player now. He probably knows he can't push his body like he used to. I am pretty sure he's still able to put up monster games here and there but a 22/11/5/3 season with great efficiency over 82 games will never happen for CP3 again IMO. It pains me to say that but he's not the same player anymore.

Becks2307
12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
May be he's a smarter player now. He probably knows he can't push his body like he used to. I am pretty sure he's still able to put up monster games here and there but a 22/11/5/3 season with great efficiency over 82 games will never happen for CP3 again IMO. It pains me to say that but he's not the same player anymore.

Whew! It's almost relieving to know that other people agree with this, I thought I was a lone ranger. Everything about Cp3 that season was better. It's not like Lebron who is putting up lower stats but on better efficiency, Cp3 was more efficient back then as well. Either way he will be elite for a while. But I would love to see

18ppg and 12 ast again. I can't believe he hasn't been over 10 for almost 3 years now.

Chronz
12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I think I'm just surprised that his assists numbers didn't skyrocket with all the weapons. He is playing only 33 mins a game but he hasn't been over 10apg for 3 seasons now.

Back in 2008 I thought he would eventually get up to 12-13 APG category for a couple years at some point in his career, now i'm not so sure.

Maybe there has been some decline there but his passing efficiency remains the best in the league and my take on this is that, I think part of the reason people think they are low for him is that people have this misguided notion of how CP3 and Blake mesh together.
Blake is a dominant finisher but hes also a set up guy. Its like pairing a PG with another PG (which they did with Billups last year) one of them is bound to see his assists drop. Thats Blake, hes more like Charles Barkley than Karl Malone/Shawn Kemp. Blake likes to set the table every now and then too, so while the overall passing efficiency of the team benefits, the individual assists for CP3 do not look as gaudy. That and hes playing 33 minutes. Per36 his assists havent looked this strong in years.

Chronz
12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I disagree on the command of the game comment. I feel Nash the previous seasons still has come close to Paul's command of the game. Paul is a superior defender and still has the ability to play one on one basketball to get his shop up where Nash is now limited in that regard but Nash's effect on offense even the last couple of seasons is still as good. The comment is a little arbitrary though...

Previous seasons including last year? Because I havent seen that Nash in awhile, in the past for sure but those days have been over for at least a year.

waveycrockett
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
He is still pretty explosive for a PG but the thing is he will never be able to carry a team like he did in NOLA because His Knee just wont hold up to that. Now he plays with other very good players so he can pick and choose his spots but he never has to worry about doing it for an entire game.

Longhornfan1234
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I would rather have Derrick Rose or Rondo as my PG, but i think Paul is getting better i just wish he was more explosive

Rose has no case over CP3. My boy Rondo does, though.

celmxc
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM

... i really dislike rondo ( I think he's a diva)... but he is a walking tripple double ... so he is definitely up there in terms up pgs... but if I had to pick a pg I would pick CP3 because I think he is a better leader and I don't like rondo LOL :p

nolafan33
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I do think playing with the Clippers has a little bit to do with it, but his injuries have had a lot to do with it. People see the stats but they forget what he was really like. He'll never regain the athleticism he had when he was young (remember when he dunked over Dwight as a rookie?). He's slower now, can't make all those cuts as effectively as he used too.

Guppyfighter
12-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Rondo does not even come close to Chris Paul.