PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year candidates?

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok... we are a quarter of the way into the season and some teams have seen marked and in some cases unexpected improvement! Some of this because of players emerging, some because of coaching and most a combination of both.

So who do you see as candidates for coach of the year so far?

I gotta put Woodson at the top of my list. I was expecting NY to play much better and certainly be a 50-win team, but with the absence of Amare and Shump, and the introduction to several players including two rookies, Sheed, Kidd and Thomas and Felton, I thought it would take about 20-25 games to really get things going and as of right now there are only two teams with more wins than NY.

Atlanta is another interesting case. After dumping JJ's contract, I expect the team to regress a little, but instead they are playing better than they were with JJ. Part of that obviously has to do with Horford and Josh Smith, but I think we can give some credit to Larry Drew.

The GSW are also turning some heads. When Rush went down for the season I thought they would really miss his play, especially with Bogut also being on the shelf, but sophmore coach Mark Jackson has been doing extremely well with the depleted roster, guiding Lee to perhaps his best season yet and taking advantage of a healthy Stephen Curry who is also having a career year.

Rick Adleman was looking like he might have a hole to dig himself out of when the T-Wolves were hit with so many injuries to start the season, but he guided the short handed T-Wolves to a fairly impressive start despite the fact they were missing Rubio and KLove to start the season. Now he has both back and the team is over .500, I think Adleman is deserving of some love for his efforts.

Of course Scott Brooks is in the conversation. He's doing very well especially considering how everybody seemed so panicked about the Harden trade and subsequent rough start to the season (they started 1-2 but have done 18-2 over the last 20 games).

And Pop, as usual, is a contender. No team has won more games than the Spurs, and he's doing it with an aging cast that just doesn't seem to be aging at all?

Am I missing anybody? Who do you think is in the lead for COY honours?

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Woodson is on the list. But the guy you have to give it to, if his team makes the playoffs, how the hell does Mark Jackson not win COY?

Blitzbolt
12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Lionel Hollins never gets love Memphis has been one of the best defensive teams in the NBA for a while now.

I'm not saying he should win it but people don't talk about him at all.

CaptainClutch
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Mark Jackson so far. Hands down

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Mark Jackson.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Lionel Hollins never gets love Memphis has been one of the best defensive teams in the NBA for a while now.

But Memphis was in the WCF. Where the hell did Golden State come from? on the real, IDK how they are that good. Putting w's on Miami, on Brooklyn twice!, these aren't chump teams.

heyman321
12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
mark Jackson, the Dubs have no business being one of the top teams. They are also at the top in rebounding, it's amazing.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
mark Jackson, the Dubs have no business being one of the top teams. They are also at the top in rebounding, it's amazing.

it ridiculous, offense is # 12th overall, defense is #11th, middle of the pack w/ that team.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Either Woodson or Jackson

Given team expectations and results, I would be ok if either of them won it.

ChiSox219
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Thibs

Jarvo
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Jackson, Woodson or Pop or gtfo.

seikou8
12-16-2012, 07:43 PM
early coy is mark jackson unless knicks win 60 games or someting

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Thibs

Yes... was expecting Chi-town to miss the post season this year.

sf-fanatic
12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I have no idea how the warriors are like 7-1 against winning teams and have such a good road record. LoL. Idk how we lost to Orlando twice though lol

tredigs
12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
it ridiculous, offense is # 12th overall, defense is #11th, middle of the pack w/ that team.

Actually by Hollinger's measures Offense 11th, Defense 9th, Rebounding 4th. Better than middle, should get better.

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Hollins does deserve some love. I think part of the reason people don't talk about him is because he's slowly turned this team around. He helped them to a big improvement his first season there, and then got 6 more wins and a big first round upset, then got a slightly higher winnin percentage in the lock-out shortened season, and now fans expect them to get a little better.

What Hollins has done is a great job, no doubt, but the COY usually goes to guys who; turn a team around (Mark Jackson this year), do unexpectedly well with a given roster (the Hawks and Knicks), or get the most wins (Brooks and Pop). Coaches who slowly develop a team over several seasons don't always get the credit they deserve.

At the end of the day, Jerry Sloan NEVER won a COY award and yet is one of the best coaches the game has ever seen, so while the award is nice, people who are very deserving of one don't always get one.

You are very much right though, Hollins deserve a lot of credit for helping turn Memphis around over the past few seasons.

knicksfan42
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Mike Woodson 36-11 since becoming head coach. If the Knicks have a top 2-3 record I can see him winning it.

Celtics33
12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Mark Jackson is my vote thus far.

Sly Guy
12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Thibs

worthy of discussion at least. An offensively challenged team loses their #1 guy and they're still in a strong position.

My vote goes to jackson though, golden state's come out of nowhere. Dude's got a bunch of kids too young to fail, it's a good season down there this year.

NBAfan4life
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Mike Brown, if not Mike Brown though I would say Woodson or Jackson

KnicksorBust
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Honestly I'm so close to the Knicks situation that it's hard for me tor me to believe anyone has done as much for a team as Woodson has turning around our defense, our ball control, and Carmelo Anthony. Yet I can understand people wanting to give credit to Mark Jackson.

mjt20mik
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Mark Jackson. Sure Woodson, Hollins, etc have had great campaigns, but people were not doubting them to miss the playoffs and not be contenders.

Personally I had Golden State as being 10-12 in the Western Conference.

mzgrizz
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM

:hi5:

knicksfan42
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Mark Jackson. Sure Woodson, Hollins, etc have had great campaigns, but people were not doubting them to miss the playoffs and not be contenders.

I actually had the Warriors as a playoff team 7-8 this year before the season started. I did think Bogut would be healthy though.

Sota4Ever
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
How about Adelman? With all the injuries we have had and we are still a 6th seed in the west. I would give the edge to Jackson though. The Warriors are looking like a strong team.

RLundi
12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Jacque Vaughn.

Bishnoff
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Woodson and Jackson so far.

KnicksPain
12-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Woodson and Mark are the sexy picks but Thibs is with them to me. Its one thing to lose Rose but they got rid of Brewer, Korver, Watson, and LucasIII in the off season. He replaced them with Kurt, Nate and Bellinelli and they are still playing good basketball I gotta respect that. Then when Rose gets back Sheesh.

VillaMaravilla
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
I always knew Jax was gonna be a great coach I wanted him or Thibs instead we ended up with Mike D SMH.....Jax or Woodson!

Blink
12-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Jackson, Woodson, Thibs are my 3 right now.

Lawrence Frank is easily the worst..

kyubi256
12-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Woodson is on the list. But the guy you have to give it to, if his team makes the playoffs, how the hell does Mark Jackson not win COY?

It'd be Woodson or Jackson. If Woodson takes us to top 2 seed in the Eastern conference, how do you not give it to him either?

Losoway
12-17-2012, 04:50 AM
woodson or jackson

DanG
12-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Bernie Bickerstaff

amos1er
12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Woodson or Jackson.

Whomewhome
12-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Marc Jackson hands down. He has GS ballin

Twins Fanatic
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Either Woodson or Jackson, we'll see if GS keeps this up; they have a tough schedule over the coarse of the next month.

Becks2307
12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

The Knicks are 18-5. If you did a poll before the season, even Knick homers would have never said we would be 18-5.

That said, Woody and Jackson are neck and neck for sure - just making the point that the Knicks weren't seen as a contender before the season. Everyone said we were too old.

todu82
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Mark Jackson, Mike Woodson and Greg Popovich

Chavacano
12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Either Mark Jackson or Michael Dean Woodson.

nycericanguy
12-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Woody & Mark right now are basically dead even.

Knicks are on pace for like 64 wins right now which is insane. If they finish with 60 wins Woody has a great chance.

Mark has to win over 50 to win it. 50+ wins out west with that team is just as impressive as 60+ in the East with NY's team.

heyman321
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Mama there goes that man again!

SirSkyHook
12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Woodson. He has the oldest team in the leauge, yet they have the best record..... and he gave the Knicks life, something no one has done in about an decade. Cant wiat to beat ther arse on christmas day. Its payback, and they gone get what the deserve!!!!

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Good post.
He has coached that team very very well. He gets no credit for what he's doing with that squad. I'm not saying he deserves it but he definitely should be in the conversation.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM

I couldnt agree more.

BklynKnicks3
12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
woodson or jackson

kdspurman
12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Jacque Vaughn.

I was thinking Marc Jackson, but Vaughn has a case. When Orlando signed him a lot of people questioned it, but they're playing much better than a lot of us anticipated.

I haven't watched enough games to know how he is during games with adjustments, rotations, etc... but I felt he was qualified when he got hired.

Who knew they'd have nearly an identical record as the Lakers 25 games in

nickdymez
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Bernie Bickerstaff

Hawkeye15
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Jackson so far. I mean, he is getting David Lee to play defense.