PDA

View Full Version : Georege Mikan

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I noticed in the PSD Top 50 that center George Mikan ranked in the top twenty, (19th over all), and I'm just curious: Who out there thinks Mikan is a top twenty player?

My answer is easily no. I realize that he was dominant in his era, but it was at a time when the game was still being defined. He was a strong rebounder in his era, but his FG% is disgustingly low (as were many FG% posted around this time, though his FT% was much better than other dominant centers such as: Wilt, Shaq and Howard). I honestly don't even believe that Mikan would be able to earn a roster spot in today's NBA. His best days came at a time when there were not many black players in the league and that over all talent was quite low.

He did force some rule changes, notably the goal tending rule, and did has some success in the NBA, but I just honesly don't see him even being good enough to be in the top 50, let alone the top 20?

Do you think Mikan deserves a spot in the top 20 or top 50? And what are your reasons for or against him?

NBAfan4life
12-16-2012, 01:39 PM
He would not make my top 20. I understand why does for people

iamsteel
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
In his time, he was the most dominant player around. You shouldn't compare him to players now because players are evolving every generation. What ranks him that high is his importance to the sport.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
What center shoots 40% from the field while being taller than everyone by like 6 inches?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Led the MPLS Lakers to the first ever repeat in NBA history, then they didn't win 1 yr, and then lead the MPLS Lakers to the first ever 3-peat in NBA history. :worthy:

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Led the MPLS Lakers to the first ever repeat in NBA history, then they didn't win 1 yr, and then lead the MPLS Lakers to the first ever 3-peat in NBA history. :worthy:

So he got Minneapolis 5 titles.

Chronz
12-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I dont count pre-60's basketball as basketball, even then my preferred cut off is 1965 with an asterisk admitting its still a lesser league. The 70's were more of the same because the ABA further diluted talent, its not until the merger that the game begins to approach anything resembling the modern game, the 3pt line cements it.

So with older guys, if a player doesn't stand the test of time by playing in different eras its hard to project how he would fare in the newer league. Like KAJ played in the 70's against competition that was around for the 60's and played against guys who lasted into the late 90's.

But with Mikan, he called it quits just as the NBA was evolving into the sport we all love. That shouldn't do him any favors yet so many voted for him as if it were logical. If Mikan is Top-20 then why werent any of his peers anywhere near him?

Chronz
12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
What center shoots 40% from the field while being taller than everyone by like 6 inches?

Something tells me your exaggerating and as weak of a league as it was, the game not being standardized stunted offensive efficiency league wide. Imagine having to deal with the **** older players put up with, bad balls, dead spots on the floor, non-conditioned environments. Which is why we shouldn't completely disregard his efficiency vs league averages, but yea his game doesnt translate.

Shot clock made it a transition game, widened lanes would hurt his post ups.

Out of sheer convenience I ignore all players from his era unless they played into the 60's. He will forever hold the title of greatest basketball player of the first half century mark.

c.c.
12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
He wouldn't last a whole quarter in this day n age

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 02:54 PM
In today's game, he wouldnt even be a starter.

JordansBulls
12-16-2012, 05:03 PM
He wouldn't last a whole quarter in this day n age

In his prime he certainly would.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Something tells me your exaggerating and as weak of a league as it was, the game not being standardized stunted offensive efficiency league wide. Imagine having to deal with the **** older players put up with, bad balls, dead spots on the floor, non-conditioned environments. Which is why we shouldn't completely disregard his efficiency vs league averages, but yea his game doesnt translate.

Shot clock made it a transition game, widened lanes would hurt his post ups.

Out of sheer convenience I ignore all players from his era unless they played into the 60's. He will forever hold the title of greatest basketball player of the first half century mark.

Well I am exaggerating, but guys like Al Horford, Marc Gasol, etc would be more dominant than him if they played back then IMO.

KnicksorBust
12-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Top 20. My list is heavily weighted by career resumes and success.

Stuckey#3
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
George Mikan's modern NBA equivalent = Kris Humphries skill with an Austin Daye build.