PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving - great consolation prize to LeBron James

NYSpirit1
12-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Watched the Knick game tonight.. he had 41. He's unbelievable, he can pretty much do everything. If the Cavs had a team around him, they're going to be really good.

greg_ory_2005
12-16-2012, 03:21 AM
K

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Kool beans

Slug3
12-16-2012, 03:44 AM
He is good...... But no he is not an ok to prize to lebron. Losing players like him is a hard thing to come by.

JNA17
12-16-2012, 03:47 AM
He is indeed...

Until he also leaves Cleveland in the future lol.

LakersIn5
12-16-2012, 03:52 AM
He is indeed...

Until he also leaves Cleveland in the future lol.

dwight love irving 2014

metsrock229
12-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Okay cool, why do you feel the need to make threads like this :shrug:

amos1er
12-16-2012, 03:56 AM
I would still be pretty pissed if I was Gilbert. lol Though I agree Kyrie is a pretty damn good consolation prize.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 04:00 AM
that's the best PG/SG I have ever seen. What he did to Jason Kidd on that sideline he should have been put in handcuffs for that move.

He is a good consolation. That dude is prbly the best PG in the NBA and he ain't even 21 yet. Definitely best PG in the East.

PurpleJesus
12-16-2012, 04:04 AM
These youngbloods around here...

Ebbs
12-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Yea not a bad consolation prize

CavsYanksDuke
12-16-2012, 04:20 AM

Why do you choose to click on this thread? Because we live in America.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:22 AM
He is good...... But no he is not an ok to prize to lebron. Losing players like him is a hard thing to come by.

How is he not an "ok" prize for LeBron? LBJ had the choice to leave via free agency, and that's what he did. Kyrie Irving already is turning into one of the leagues deadliest scorers, and one of the best pg's in a league in which is stacked a bunch of them.
Their team right now, not so good. However, they have Varejao, Irving, Waiters and Thompson to build around. It all comes down to the front office and the decisions they make.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Not really. Even if he ends up a top-5 PG which his defense really needs to come along for that.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 04:25 AM
How is he not an "ok" prize for LeBron? LBJ had the choice to leave via free agency, and that's what he did. Kyrie Irving already is turning into one of the leagues deadliest scorers, and one of the best pg's in a league in which is stacked a bunch of them.
Their team right now, not so good. However, they have Varejao, Irving, Waiters and Thompson to build around. It all comes down to the front office and the decisions they make.

The CAVS FO has been intent on tanking for 3 years already. They have been looking for that next LeBron but no dice. Had they gotten anthony davis another story

D-Leethal
12-16-2012, 04:25 AM
Straight beast. Future top 10 player.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:30 AM

..What?

Is this not the NBA forum? Was his thread off-topic, inappropriate or pointless?
Just don't click into the thread and comment if you're not interested in the topic..

Irving deserves recognition for being one of the very best players in the game at just 20 years of age. He already can score with the best of em' and I see no problem in starting a thread discussing Irving and sharing thoughts of his team.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:34 AM
The CAVS FO has been intent on tanking for 3 years already. They have been looking for that next LeBron but no dice. Had they gotten anthony davis another story

Well I don't see too many other "LeBron's" out there so speaking on behalf of Cleveland fans, I don't really think there's too much to be upset about as far as them landing their franchise player in replace of LBJ. They just need to figure out how to fill in the holes around him.

Slug3
12-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Because he is not lebron. Players like lebron come every so often. There are a few in the league like him but Irving is not one. That's is to not say he is good, but in 2 years lebron took the cabs from nothing into a playoff team and than to a contending team. Irving will not do that. Lebron can literally do anything a team needs him to do. Irving so far can just score. It's not a knock against him but he is not on the level of lebron.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Well I don't see too many other "LeBron's" out there so speaking on behalf of Cleveland fans, I don't really think there's too much to be upset about as far as them landing their franchise player in replace of LBJ. They just need to figure out how to fill in the holes around him.

Anthony Davis isn't going to be LeBron but he is going to be the next great big man. Kyrie is good but as been said a handful of great PG's are around. Does he make them better?Sure..Is he exciting to watch? Heck yea...Is he going to make them a championship team at his peak? Doubt it...Can he even carry them to the playoffs? Doubt it

Sactown
12-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Kyrie won't ever be able to do what Lebron does, simply because he can't ever have the combination of strength/size/speed Lebron has. Lebron can do things on the defensive side of the ball Kyrie will never be able to do, but that goes for every PG in the league.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Because he is not lebron. Players like lebron come every so often. There are a few in the league like him but Irving is not one. That's is to not say he is good, but in 2 years lebron took the cabs from nothing into a playoff team and than to a contending team. Irving will not do that. Lebron can literally do anything a team needs him to do. Irving so far can just score. It's not a knock against him but he is not on the level of lebron.

Lol dude did I compare Irving to LeBron? There is no other LeBron in the league right now, there was nothing the Cavs could do about it.
Fortunate for them, they were able to draft Irving which had brought some hope back into Cleveland. This kid is going to be a top 5 pg, again, in a league with many good pg's.
It was a great start for them in rebuilding a team that was prior centered around one player with super-hero like ability's, in no case for any team, would that be easy to bounce back up from. He was their heart and sole.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:54 AM
Anthony Davis isn't going to be LeBron but he is going to be the next great big man. Kyrie is good but as been said a handful of great PG's are around. Does he make them better?Sure..Is he exciting to watch? Heck yea...Is he going to make them a championship team at his peak? Doubt it...Can he even carry them to the playoffs? Doubt it

I would not go as far as having any doubt that this kid isn't capable of carrying his team into the playoffs or winning a championship, etc.
Other than LBJ who pulled it off, there's really nobody that could literally carry a team on his shoulders like he did and bring them all the way to the finals. That's something that does not happen very often.
However, you surround Irving with the right players, he could very well lead his team into the playoffs and make a run at it. He's a very special, talented player and he's only 20 years old. If his body stays good to him, he's going to get much better all around, and once he reaches his peak, watch out.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Lol dude did I compare Irving to LeBron? There is no other LeBron in the league right now, there was nothing the Cavs could do about it.
Fortunate for them, they were able to draft Irving which had brought some hope back into Cleveland. This kid is going to be a top 5 pg, again, in a league with many good pg's.
It was a great start for them in rebuilding a team that was prior centered around one player with super-hero like ability's, in no case for any team, would that be easy to bounce back up from. He was their heart and sole.

Unfortunately for the Cavs great guards seem to be a dime a dozen lately with each draft having their own

Lillard
Rose
Wall
Curry
Tyreke
Rubio
Lawson
CP3
D-Will
Rondo
Jrue
Westbrook
Brandon Jennings
Walker
Knight
Lowry

Not bashing him, just a golden age of PG's interesting to see what we get next year.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 04:55 AM

There is no hope in Cleveland. That team is too young and not talented enough to be a future contender and their owner put a black mark on the franchise for potential free agents. They are going to have to trade for an elite player. The way the Clips/Knicks/Nets did.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 04:56 AM
There is no hope in Cleveland. That team is too young and not talented enough to be a future contender and their owner put a black mark on the franchise for potential free agents. They are going to have to trade for an elite player. The way the Clips/Knicks/Nets did.

Woah that's going overboard.. if he pays FA they will come lol.
Also they could easily build through the draft and trades, their franchise isn't doomed....

STL Don
12-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Unfortunately for the Cavs great guards seem to be a dime a dozen lately with each draft having their own

Lillard
Rose
Wall
Curry
Tyreke
Lawson
CP3
D-Will
Rondo
Jrue
Westbrook
Brandon Jennings
Walker
Knight
Lowry

Not bashing him, just a golden age of PG's interesting to see what we get next year.

It's a beautiful thing to see a list with so many great point guards in the league at once, and those aren't even including the vets lol.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:01 AM
It's a beautiful thing to see a list with so many great point guards in the league at once, and those aren't even including the vets lol.

Exactly, the league is stacked with young PG's, so it would of been nice for the Cavs to have found a nice big to place around Kyrie, until then it's going to be hard to compete.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Woah that's going overboard.. if he pays FA they will come lol.
Also they could easily build through the draft and trades, their franchise isn't doomed....

NBA FA isn't MLB or NFL. Every elite player is getting the same $$ thrown at them it comes down to other perks off the court. See Dwight...

Even if they suck this year there isn't a Kobe or Durant or even an Anthony Davis out there this year. They are screwed unless they do what the Clips did take all that over hyped talent around Irving and trade it for something special.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Ok but that's on the Cavs, not Irving. lol
He left, tornado stuck. Cavs awarded the 1st pick, landed Irving.
My point being, he has brought hope back into Cleveland fans. They could have selected Derrick Williams, and that could have turned into even more a disaster for them. Kyrie's a great young player with a great looking future. If they can make some smart decisions, they can make something out of the future with him as there PG and some of the role players they have. That is all.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:08 AM
NBA FA isn't MLB or NFL. Every elite player is getting the same $$ thrown at them it comes down to other perks off the court. See Dwight...

Even if they suck this year there isn't a Kobe or Durant or even an Anthony Davis out there this year. They are screwed unless they do what the Clips did.

That's impossible to predict at this stage, nobody would of guessed Westbrook would be Westbrook, or Durant would eventually be a 3 time scoring champ when he was playing at Texas..
They could easily land a serious piece through the draft next year, or sign a "under the radar" player who reaches their potential in Cleveland, you just don't know lol... You can't predict the future.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Exactly, the league is stacked with young PG's, so it would of been nice for the Cavs to have found a nice big to place around Kyrie, until then it's going to be hard to compete.

Unless Thompson magically turns into the next Aldridge over night, they will remain very far out of the picture. This is true. But with Irving it's a start and a FEW of there role players aren't tooo bad.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Unless Thompson magically turns into the next Aldridge over night, they will remain very far out of the picture. This is true. But with Irving it's a start and a FEW of there role players aren't tooo bad.

Like my post above, with some luck/skill through the draft anyone can end up like OKC.

tredigs
12-16-2012, 05:15 AM

But they do have a nice big. Anderson V. And Tristan Thompson as their draft pick big. They were not going to do better than Kyrie Irving in that draft. I'm not sure how much of him you've actually seen with the list of names you just threw out there, but this kid will be better than 95+% of them. He is INCREDIBLY gifted, and through guys like Nash and Cp3 we see what incredibly gifted PG's can do for a team/organization. I'd be thrilled if I was a Cavs fan.

Like my post above, with some luck/skill through the draft anyone can end up like OKC.

Also not true. Truly great organizations are built from the top down. And if you don't have a great ownership>GM>Coach, ultimately you're doomed (Sorry Cavs fans). But great players definitely put a bandaid on it.

metsrock229
12-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Why do you choose to click on this thread? Because we live in America.

because I thought it was an article making it thread worthy. The post could easily have been in the game thread.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Good for you.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 05:19 AM
That's impossible to predict at this stage, nobody would of guessed Westbrook would be Westbrook, or Durant would eventually be a 3 time scoring champ when he was playing at Texas..
They could easily land a serious piece through the draft next year, or sign a "under the radar" player who reaches their potential in Cleveland, you just don't know lol... You can't predict the future.

Of course anyone who followed him at Texas did. He was a phenom. Top-5 college player I've seen the last 15 years. Westbrook is a stud but he is no superstar like Durant.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:19 AM
But they do have a nice big. Anderson V. And Tristan Thompson as their draft pick big. They were not going to do better than Kyrie Irving in that draft. I'm not sure how much of him you've actually seen with the list of names you just threw out there, but this kid will be better than 95+% of them. He is INCREDIBLY gifted, and through guys like Nash and Cp3 we see what incredibly gifted PG's can do for a team/organization. I'd be thrilled if I was a Cavs fan.

I wasn't implying that everyone on the list was better than him, I was just saying when it comes to needs PG is at the end of the list since a damn good PG comes out each year, while Centers and true SG's seem to be one in a million, all those PG's on that list have "All-Star" potential, or could break out any year. While the Center position has become so lackluster the NBA has taken it out of the All Star game... How many active centers are their that are "elite"

Howard, andd....... nobody lol.

While SG isn't much better, how many young fantastic SG's in the league??
James Harden?? Maybe OJ Mayo? Derozen?

I'd rather draft a center who has close to or slightly less talent than a PG just because I know another PG will be available next year, while a TRUE center or SG very well might not.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:20 AM

Also not true. Truly great organizations are built from the top down. And if you don't have a great ownership>GM>Coach, ultimately you're doomed (Sorry Cavs fans). But great players definitely put a bandaid on it.

An owner can always find a new GM and a GM can always hire a new coach, there's always hope for franchises, look at the Kings...

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Of course anyone who followed him at Texas did. He was a phenom. Top-5 college player I've seen the last 15 years. Westbrook is a stud but he is no superstar like Durant.

Nobody could of predicted Durant would be this dominant in the league this early, at this rate he is going to crack top 10 all time... He would of been a lock at the #1 pick if this was evident..

tredigs
12-16-2012, 05:23 AM
I wasn't implying that everyone on the list was better than him, I was just saying when it comes to needs PG is at the end of the list since a damn good PG comes out each year, while Centers and true SG's seem to be one in a million, all those PG's on that list have "All-Star" potential, or could break out any year. While the Center position has become so lackluster the NBA has taken it out of the All Star game... How many active centers are their that are "elite"

Howard, andd....... nobody lol.

While SG isn't much better, how many young fantastic SG's in the league??
James Harden?? Maybe OJ Mayo? Derozen?

I'd rather draft a center who has close to or slightly less talent than a PG just because I know another PG will be available next year, while a TRUE center or SG very well might not.

All I can tell you is that you're severely underestimating Irving. He is not your "once every year or two" point. This kid's a transcendent talent. Barring injury I am 100% certain we are looking at a future HOFer. Right attitude combined with off the charts skill set.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Nobody could of predicted Durant would be this dominant in the league this early, at this rate he is going to crack top 10 all time... He would of been a lock at the #1 pick if this was evident..

Anyone who watches college basketball it was very simple. The only reason why he didn't go 1st overall is because he played in the same class as Greg Oden. Same thing with Melo. Anyone who watched college ball knew he would tear up the league. He didn't go 1st overall either.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:31 AM
All I can tell you is that you're severely underestimating Irving. He is not your "once every year or two" point. This kid's a transcendent talent. Barring injury I am 100% certain we are looking at a future HOFer. Right attitude combined with off the charts skill set.

Irving is a fantastic talent (HOF? not 100% considering he's still early in his career)

Also I would consider these players playing at Kyries level and have similar potential

CP3
D-Will
Rondo
Curry (slightly worse numbers, significantly better team)
Rubio
Lillard

I'm not saying Irving isn't a fantastic player, because he is, but he's also playing at the most stacked position in the NBA, Like many have said, he's not a lock for the All-Star game because of the level of talent at his position.. While OJ Mayo is being considered a viable option...

I'm not underestimating Irving, but simply stating that the PG position is the easiest position to find All-Star caliber talent in.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Anyone who watches college basketball it was very simple. The only reason why he didn't go 1st overall is because he played in the same class as Greg Oden. Same thing with Melo. Anyone who watched college ball knew he would tear up the league. He didn't go 1st overall either.

Please find me reports where KD was projected to be in the possible conversation for GOAT.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Please find me reports where KD was projected to be in the possible conversation for GOAT.

Please tell me who is dumb enough to consider Durant the future GOAT

The only college players who remotely dominated at the kind of level as Freshman in the last 10 years were Oden, Melo, Davis. Not even Rose was that good.

Sactown
12-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Please tell me who is dumb enough to consider Durant the future GOAT

The only college players who remotely dominated at the kind of level as Freshman in the last 10 years were Oden, Melo, Davis. Not even Rose was that good.

My point was, teams can easily build through the draft, if Cleveland drafts correctly and gets some lucky steals they could find their way into contention.

bootleg42
12-16-2012, 06:00 AM
My point was, teams can easily build through the draft, if Cleveland drafts correctly and gets some lucky steals they could find their way into contention.

They already got Dion Waiters last draft (21 years old), and Kyrie Irving (20 years old) the draft before. These are two scorers who can (and should) be together in Cleveland for the next decade.

Tristan Thompson (21 years old) is the project so far. He hasn't done well, but has had some games where he gets a ton of rebounds.

The Cavs have to draft well the next few years. Having losing seasons the next two years can actually help them (higher picks). The question is, once they can get another good piece or two in the draft, will they spend the money to get whatever is missing AND to keep what is already there.

bootleg42
12-16-2012, 06:04 AM

Take Varej„o out of that picture because he is old already (30). The Cavs need guys that are 21-24 years old right now. By the time the Cavs get good again, Varej„o would be older and probably not a Cav (or not even playing).

Cavs need to be looking long term, not short term.

PurpleJesus
12-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Dude is already arguably top 15 in the NBA. Great player to build around. I would like to see his assist numbers rise though.

lilojmayo
12-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Irving is a fantastic talent (HOF? not 100% considering he's still early in his career)

Also I would consider these players playing at Kyries level and have similar potential

CP3
D-Will
Rondo
Curry (slightly worse numbers, significantly better team)
Rubio
Lillard

I'm not saying Irving isn't a fantastic player, because he is, but he's also playing at the most stacked position in the NBA, Like many have said, he's not a lock for the All-Star game because of the level of talent at his position.. While OJ Mayo is being considered a viable option...

I'm not underestimating Irving, but simply stating that the PG position is the easiest position to find All-Star caliber talent in.

The guy isn't trying to belittle Kyrie, Kyrie is a flat out stud. He is just stating a simple concept supply and demand. There are alot of competent PG at worst out there, but not a lot of competent SGs that have the ability to score, and make a play for somebody else.

James Harden 25/4/5 and OJ Mayo 21/4/4 stand alone in that regard in terms of relatively young and/or inexperienced players. Thus making them more of value if you look at it in the big picture.

Simply supply and demand.

However, if Kyrie becomes a top 3 PG , then all that gets thrown out the window

YoungOne
12-16-2012, 06:31 AM
yep, good job by stern to give them irving

cmstophe
12-16-2012, 07:06 AM
They already got Dion Waiters last draft (21 years old), and Kyrie Irving (20 years old) the draft before. These are two scorers who can (and should) be together in Cleveland for the next decade.

Tristan Thompson (21 years old) is the project so far. He hasn't done well, but has had some games where he gets a ton of rebounds.

The Cavs have to draft well the next few years. Having losing seasons the next two years can actually help them (higher picks). The question is, once they can get another good piece or two in the draft, will they spend the money to get whatever is missing AND to keep what is already there.

Spending money is the least concern any Cavs fan should have. If you want to act like Dan Gilbert is a terrible owner because he had an outburst tirade against a player who humiliated him, go ahead, but the guy has poured endless millions into that franchise. He basically paid like 30 million dollars to have a 1% chance at getting Kyrie Irving with that Baron Davis trade, and it paid off for him.

If you think Gilbert is going to be shy about spending money, you're wrong. There are many ? marks about the Cavs' future (will they be drafting high enough to get impact players? for how long? How much more talent do they need? One star? Two more stars? Will free agents want to play in Cleveland?) but spending money is not even on the radar as an issue.

JordansBulls
12-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Kyrie won't ever be able to do what Lebron does, simply because he can't ever have the combination of strength/size/speed Lebron has. Lebron can do things on the defensive side of the ball Kyrie will never be able to do, but that goes for every PG in the league.

I don't think that is the issue here. We know he won't be Lebron but to be able to get another star player within a 2 year time frame is remarkable.

RenegadeRiot36
12-16-2012, 07:37 PM
I'll tell you guys one thing, having been a Cavs fan for years i can honestly say that watching Kyrie's playing style is already more fun than watching LeBron has ever been. Theres no question LeBron has had his moments (the pistons playoff game is my favorite game of his) but on a game by game basis, Kyrie simply puts on a show regardless of if the team is down by 20 or up by 10. He gives us Cavs fans something to get us through this period of transition and who knows how well this team will eventually turn it around with the high draft picks and young raw talent they're stockpiling.

And people need to realize that Kyrie is a 6'3" point guard who's biggest attribute is his unguardable scoring. To compare him to a 27 year old, 6'8" all arounder in Lebron is absolutely ludicrous. So please stop wasting our time and your breath.

KnicksorBust
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM

Lillard
Rose
Wall
Curry
Tyreke
Rubio
Lawson
CP3
D-Will
Rondo
Jrue
Westbrook
Brandon Jennings
Walker
Knight
Lowry

Comparing the bold to Kyrie is laughable. The rest are more proven but if he stays healthy, I personally would only take CP3 over him. And yes I'm serious.

justinnum1
12-17-2012, 12:03 AM
irving is so good.

MackSnackWrap
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Irving is the real deal, no lebron james but he will be a force in the coming years. Crazy work ethic and I was watching that knicks game he had 11 in the last minute and almost won the cavs the game. One of my favorite players in the league!

king4day
12-17-2012, 12:55 AM

And getting a player like Irving is a hard thing to come by too. It'll be another decade or longer before the next World Superstar comes into the league. The Cavs wound up getting a soon to be superstar PG. That certainly is a good consolation prize to losing Lebron. They were fortunate to get the #1 pick right after losing James and they picked right.

Evolution23
12-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Kyrie Irving will be the 2nd best point guard by the end of the season baring any serious injuries.

greg_ory_2005
12-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Kyrie Irving will be the 2nd best point guard by the end of the season baring any serious injuries.

No

Ill21
12-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Since when is there Kyrie haters?

Will 2 BE
12-17-2012, 01:20 AM
They did alright getting him, its not like they drafted Kwame Brown with their #1 pick.....

tredigs
12-17-2012, 01:27 AM

I actually agree with this. In that conversation at least.

Oefarmy2005
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I just wanted to mention that Kyrie Irving is by far my favorite non-Timberwolf player. Keep up the good work. He is for sure top 5 at this point, but I think he has a ways to go to crack the top 3 - specifically passing.