PDA

View Full Version : Will Tyson Chandler set a record this year for FG% ?

spreadeagle
12-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Hes shooting 0.708% so far. The highest field goal percentage for a single season was set by Wilt Chamberlain with 0.727 in the 1972-73 season. Pretty impressive, can he do it?

lamzoka
12-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I think so. The guy does not take a shot thats more than 2feet away from the basket. most of his shots are lobs and putbacks. you cant miss too many of those.

Johann
12-16-2012, 01:03 AM
He will not do it.

Mark my words. He will not surpass the incredible mark set by Wilt.

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Well he shot 90% tonight LMAO! Imma just say he has the ability to beat the record, now actually beating it is another story.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Law of Averages says no so no

Silent
12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
i think so.He does not take a shot thats more than 2feet away from the basket. most of he's shot are lobs and putbacks. you cant miss too many of those.

this

Raps18-19 Champ
12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
No.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 01:09 AM
You have to take into account that he basically has freedom around the paint area for now, but what's going to exactly happen when Amare is back and how are the Knicks going to re-incorporate Amare offensively. Is he going to be more perimeter oriented, or is he going to pick-and-roll and take up some space in the paint. There's a lot that factors into how Amare is going to want to play offensively to either clog or open up the paint space for Tyson.

Enzo
12-16-2012, 01:10 AM
I doubt he'll do it but you never know since all he does is dunks and alley oops.

Hey Waveycrockett...just out of curiosity why do you have a Jeremy Lin sig? Did you lose a sig bet or somethin?

Guppyfighter
12-16-2012, 01:10 AM
If it has been done before, it can be done again. It's a statistical chance, which means it will happen again. Maybe not this year, but it will.

Much like someone in baseball will bat .400 again, maybe not even in my life time.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 01:11 AM
not a chance. If he were 26 w/ a jumper maybe, but setting up alley-oops and it's not like that's not going to effect him, it will. Those are your legs and he once was injury prone so, I'm going to say no.

Becks2307
12-16-2012, 01:11 AM
well he shot what 67% last year or 69%? cant remember, let's see if he can keep it up.

gatkins11
12-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Wish he could still be in a Mavs uniform. :sigh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 01:13 AM
not a chance. If he were 26 w/ a jumper maybe, but setting up alley-oops and it's not like that's not going to effect him, it will. Those are you legs and he once was injury prone so, I'm going to say no.

If he was an adequate jump shooter, there would be times where he would fall in love with the J and would probably take more of those, and that's a less percentage shot than a shot directly in the paint via a lob or put back. So actually, Tyson or any player with a jump shot who can easily fall in love with it would actually have a lower FG%.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 01:15 AM
If he was an adequate jump shooter, there would be times where he would fall in love with the J and would probably take more of those, and that's a less percentage shot than a shot directly in the paint via a lob or put back. So actually, Tyson or any player with a jump shot who can easily fall in love with it would actually have a lower FG%.

A lob pass isn't exactly the greatest shot, it's the best oppurtunity but sooner or later, I mean I don't think that can hold up for someone his age w/ the day to day of the nba.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Hey Waveycrockett...just out of curiosity why do you have a Jeremy Lin sig? Did you lose a sig bet or somethin?

I won a sig bet

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 01:16 AM
You have to take into account that he basically has freedom around the paint area for now, but what's going to exactly happen when Amare is back and how are the Knicks going to re-incorporate Amare offensively. Is he going to be more perimeter oriented, or is he going to pick-and-roll and take up some space in the paint. There's a lot that factors into how Amare is going to want to play offensively to either clog or open up the paint space for Tyson.

Well I'll tell you what happened last year. Amare actually became more perimeter orientated like the same way D'Antoni does for Pau Gasol. Thats one thing I dont understand, Gasol gets slack for being turned into some stretch 4 big man, but Amare was in the same exact situation last year.

Back to the point, its pretty much Chandler's paint and when Amare comes back they'll share it. I actually think that would be better for Chandler's FG% because with two options in the post, opponents are going to have to guard Amare instead of crowd Chandler which leads to even better shots for Chandler

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Stat and Chandler on the court w/ Melo at the same time is going to mess up alot of this offense.

waveycrockett
12-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Stat and Chandler on the court w/ Melo at the same time is going to mess up alot of this offense.

Yep. Stat throughout his career has been a black hole. He doesn't work well with 7 footers

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 01:20 AM

I dont think we'll see that lineup for a long time.

sep11ie
12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
This deserves a thread.
I mean...

Tyson Chandelor.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Well I'll tell you what happened last year. Amare actually became more perimeter orientated like the same way D'Antoni does for Pau Gasol. Thats one thing I dont understand, Gasol gets slack for being turned into some stretch 4 big man, but Amare was in the same exact situation last year.

Back to the point, its pretty much Chandler's paint and when Amare comes back they'll share it. I actually think that would be better for Chandler's FG% because with two options in the post, opponents are going to have to guard Amare instead of crowd Chandler which leads to even better shots for Chandler

But there's also this thing that if Melo or some other perimeter player takes a shot, and if Amare is down in the paint waiting for the rebound, he isn't so keen on fundamentally boxing out that well (as everyone knows) and so his man could easily sag off of him in that instance and that guy will basically latched on to Tyson (who already has his own guy on him) and so with 2 guys on Chandler, less likely he gets a rebound, or if he does get the offensive rebound, then tougher for him to convert on put-backs with 2 guys on him.

You see what I'm saying? Sorry if my explanation was a bit confusing llullz.

lamzoka
12-16-2012, 02:32 AM
But there's also this thing that if Melo or some other perimeter player takes a shot, and if Amare is down in the paint waiting for the rebound, he isn't so keen on fundamentally boxing out that well (as everyone knows) and so his man could easily sag off of him in that instance and that guy will basically latched on to Tyson (who already has his own guy on him) and so with 2 guys on Chandler, less likely he gets a rebound, or if he does get the offensive rebound, then tougher for him to convert on put-backs with 2 guys on him.

You see what I'm saying? Sorry if my explanation was a bit confusing llullz.

i see what you saying here, but just to remind u real quick amare is 6"11, he might not be the best rebounder in the league, but if you dont box him out he would grab that offensive rebound and dunk on your face. ( i just dont think a coach will ever say lets 2x box out chandler and leave amare )

CavsYanksDuke
12-16-2012, 02:33 AM
He will not do it.

Mark my words. He will not surpass the incredible mark set by Wilt.

Does this post make you feel smart? Blindly guessing the future while acting like you actually know it's true? It is an impressive record, but he's on a team full of shooters and he's seven feet tall. It could happen. Learn how to stop hating and put together a decent argument.

lamzoka
12-16-2012, 02:46 AM
records are made to be broken

Chronz
12-16-2012, 02:48 AM

Last year Tyson shot a higher % with Amare, which is what I would expect but the pairing really hurt Amare's numbers. He took up all his PnR action and made him into a Brandon Bass type outlet shooter.

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 02:49 AM
records are made to be broken

Chamberlain once averaged 48.5mpg in one season. How you gonna break that?

Sactown
12-16-2012, 02:54 AM
It's possible, but nearly as impressive to be honest as Wilt shot quite a few more times than chandler, plus you know... It's Wilt, he gets more attentions from defenses than Chandler.

STL Don
12-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Tyson has really grown on me as a player since joining the Knicks and is having another great season for them. I think he may even deserve a little more credit for how well he's played.
That said, I don't think he'll be able to maintain such numbers from the field, it's just too damn hard over the course of an 82 game season and he's not exactly the greatest scorer down low.
Great player, the Knicks should feel blessed to have him but likely will not break Chamberlain's record.

AddiX
12-16-2012, 03:05 AM
I think he maintain a pretty high %, we really dont force it to him at all, if it's there it's there.

I like Anderson verajao a lot, thought he would give Tyson some problems, wasn't the case at all tonight, Tyson went to work against him. So I think he may have a shot at the record.

Ppl really need to get over the amare thing though. Woodson isn't going to break the system he built in ny for him. This is a vet team, they won't have that nonsense either.

Amare probably plays limited minutes coming off the bench with sheed. Sheed spreads the floor which amare will like. And melo is playing way to good at pf to move him. Works out for everyone, including Chandler.

effen5
12-16-2012, 03:06 AM
How many shots
Has he taken from 5 ft or farther this year?

AddiX
12-16-2012, 03:41 AM
How many shots

Because wilt chamberlain was such a great jump shooter right?

CavsYanksDuke
12-16-2012, 03:45 AM
How many shots

Why is this relevant? Does this diminish his stats because he got CLOSER to the tall guys trying to block his shots? Good shot selection is often rare for players and his is unparalleled. Tall defenders, something Wilt knew nothing about.

effen5
12-16-2012, 04:00 AM
It's just a question holy ****

Ebbs
12-16-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm pretty much willing to promise you he does not do it

D-Leethal
12-16-2012, 04:19 AM
He won't set the record. But when it comes to FG% hes in a league of his own in today's NBA.

lamzoka
12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Chamberlain once averaged 48.5mpg in one season. How you gonna break that?

triple overtime every game :D