PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving Playing Through A Broken Jaw

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8749656/kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-broken-jaw-play-mask

NEW YORK -- Kyrie Irving has another injury and the Cavaliers have another masked player.

Cleveland's star point guard, who only recently returned after missing 11 games with a broken finger, fractured a bone in his jaw when he took a hard fall in Friday night's loss at Milwaukee.

Irving traveled separately from the Cavs to New York so he could be fitted with a protective mask that he will wear in Saturday's game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. He said he arrived less than three hours before the start of the game, having only slept about four hours.

He said he wasn't in pain, and the only difficulty would be getting used to the mask, which earned him the nickname the "Dark Knight" in the locker room.

"It's just precautionary, as usual," Irving said.

Wow, what a tough dude.

Anyone ever tried playing through such an injury in an sport here on PSD? Just curious.

I'm thinking that area will be very sensitive, and it's very risky when driving to the basket as guys try to block the shot but instead end up whacking you across the face.

Ebbs
12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Like Liev Schroeber said in Goon. The kids got that ****, the grit.

JNA17
12-15-2012, 10:13 PM
No wonder him and Kobe get along so well. They both have tough bad *** written all over them.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Jason Whitten (sp?) from the Cowboys played with his jaw wired shut a while back.

But yes, that is boss. I really, really like Irving.

Ezio
12-15-2012, 10:17 PM
My new man crush :love:

xxplayerxx23
12-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Jason Whitten (sp?) from the Cowboys played with his jaw wired shut a while back.

My new man crush :love:

Been my man crush since last year! Kyrie is ganna be the best pg on the game soon. Hawk you mean witten? I remember that he is a sick ****. All these guys are tough. I love that they are competitive but sometimes better to be safe then sorry.

Cromedome
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
What the hell is going on here?

Ebbs
12-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Witten* yea he's a hero. One of the few Cowboys who doesn't **** the bed.

dalton749
guys in the nfl play through way worse. he said hes not in pain so its probably not that bad?

Raps08-09 Champ
Ouch.

xxplayerxx23
12-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Kyrie :drool: thank god Knicks hung on. Irving for MVP!!!!!!

seikou8
12-15-2012, 11:15 PM
top 5 pg

RenegadeRiot36
12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
He simply took over the game tonight. The kid is going to be special.

Celtics33
12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
That kid's really got some heart and grit to play through something like that.

FriedTofuz
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
you can actually play with a jaw injury more than an ankle injury. why? because you're constantly applying force to jump, run and such. with your jaw, just take a painkiller at halftime, and you can bare through it. Stop overating injuries.

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Everyone talks about Varejao deserving to make the allstar game, thats a slap in the face to Kyrie Irving. He is the best player on that team and is putting up the numbers along with it.

Even though the Cavs have been horrible, Kyrie Irving deserves to make the allstar team. And yes while Varejao has been great, the 2nd worst team in the NBA cannot have 2 allstars.

asandhu23
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Chamberlain played in NBA finals with a broken hand.

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 01:21 AM

Wilt Chamberlain also wouldnt have half his records if he played in today's game.

asandhu23
12-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Wilt Chamberlain also wouldnt have half his records if he played in today's game.

ok? how is this relevant to the topic?

b@llhog24
12-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Everyone talks about Varejao deserving to make the allstar game, thats a slap in the face to Kyrie Irving. He is the best player on that team and is putting up the numbers along with it.

Even though the Cavs have been horrible, Kyrie Irving deserves to make the allstar team. And yes while Varejao has been great, the 2nd worst team in the NBA cannot have 2 allstars.

Nah his stats are empty.

noodle
12-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Wilt banged a lot of ***!

heyman321
12-16-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm no athlete, but doesn't a broken jaw interfere with your breathing in some way? Well evidently not...

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm no athlete, but doesn't a broken jaw interfere with your breathing in some way? Well evidently not...

Only if your breathing out of your mouth.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 02:26 AM
you can actually play with a jaw injury more than an ankle injury. why? because you're constantly applying force to jump, run and such. with your jaw, just take a painkiller at halftime, and you can bare through it. Stop overating injuries.

You know it was a jaw "fracture" right? If you drive to the basket and get whacked across the face, that can make things worse.

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 02:33 AM

At first I was going SLAM your post. But I see that you are a Kobe fan so I understand.

Seriously, Kobe Bryant is the only guy I know that actually plays better when he's sick/injured. When Kobe's sick with the flu or broken finger = 40pt night lol.

But back to the point, dude playing with a broken anything still sucks. Kyrie Irving was taking off his mask for air every time the clock stopped tonight.

shep33
12-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Love this kid. He's so good. By the end of the year, I think he can be a top 10 player.

AddiX
12-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Who cares, Juan Manuel Marquez just beat manny pacquiao with a broken nose.

JNA17
12-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Who cares, Juan Manuel Marquez just beat manny pacquiao with a broken nose.

Boxing hasn't even been relevant as a sport since Ali retired. No one cares about it anymore.

CavsYanksDuke
12-16-2012, 03:31 AM

I completely agree with what you're saying, but you have to look at it by position. What competition is there at the Center position in the East for the All-Star game? Bynum, Hibbert, and Lopez? Verajao is out rebounding everybody and scoring pretty dang efficiently as well. However, Kyrie's competition is Rose, Williams, and Rondo. Those are three guys the fans love, put up stats, and win. Kyrie is doing great, but the team's won five games. I want him in over Rondo and Rose, only because of Rose's injury. Also, Kyrie's smaller number of games could hurt him statistically.

AddiX
12-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Boxing hasn't even been relevant as a sport since Ali retired. No one cares about it anymore.

:clap:

Eloquently stated, your going places.

dalton749
12-16-2012, 05:17 AM
majority of the population would play through it no big deal. a concussion would be worse to play through. u would have to have a vagina to not play after you came back from missing so much time

noodle
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM

And most likely, a broken dick.

Vinny642
12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Why does he keep getting hurt lol? But I love this kid lol, he is a baller