PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Tells Staff To Stop Tweeting About Sports Until Sun, Cant Use Phrase "Shooter"

spreadeagle
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Here's the email from ESPN senior vice president and executive producer Mark Gross to staff, regarding the shootings in Newtown, Conn. Newtown is 30 miles from ESPN headquarters in Bristol.

Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:21 PM
To: Coordinating Producers M. Gross; Producers M. Gross; Production Studio Talent
Cc: Krulewitz, Josh; Scott, David R.; Keegan, Marcia; Drake, Jed; Orlando, Laurie; Wildhack, John
Subject: Newtown Tragedy

Due to the tragedy in Newtown, we are doing the following for the rest of today/tonight:

-no more teases for shows

-on air talent should come on the air and acknowledge the tragedy….. we will then want to show some athletes/coaches tweeting about the tragedy before we move into highlights, etc. (it may help to soften the difficult transition as best we can)

The news desk will take the lead on the tweets

We should not be getting into specific details on the shooting—-acknowledging the incident off the top is the direction we should go

-for the time being, we should not be tweeting about sports until further notice (the Talent Office will communicate when tweeting about sports can begin again)

-refrain from using ‘shooter' or other words which are not appropriate given the tragedy

-CPs and Producers must make sure everyone is on board in production meetings today

-Tina Thornton is taking the lead with sales to eliminate any inappropriate sales elements/commercials through the weekend

Please let me know if you have any questions

http://deadspin.com/5968619/in-wake-of-school-massacre-espn-tells-staff-to-stop-tweeting-about-sports-until-sunday-refrain-from-using-the-word-shooter

Duncan = Donkey
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
a bit ridiclious

*Superman*
12-14-2012, 08:25 PM
At least they are being sensitive to such a tragedy, I respect that.

D-Leethal
12-14-2012, 08:25 PM
It is what it is. Nature of the business.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Acknowledging the tragedy makes sense. Not tweeting or using the word shooter is a bit much.

topdog
12-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Acknowledging the tragedy makes sense. Not tweeting or using the word shooter is a bit much.

It's just being prudent especially for a company which has gotten in trouble for insensitivity in the past. Is it really that hard not to tweet or use the word "shooter?"

Anji
12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Man I hope this doesn't roll over into attacking guys like Sheed for their 3 point celebrations.

akesh99
12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Don't see anything wrong with their precautions. Especially with their headquarters so close to where the tragedy took place I think its very respectful and smart on their part

PatriotsGirl
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I can understand their concerns. This is a sad day for America.

abe_froman
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
this is an overreaction

ricky recon
12-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Protocol... this is how successful businesses are ran.

Ebbs
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
It's a tragedy but this is over sensitive.

tapajafri
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
some of you may think it's over sensitive or an overreaction, but at least they're being compassionate about it and showing a sensitive side, even if it is a bit much. I can respect that.

Ebbs
12-14-2012, 10:15 PM
some of you may think it's over sensitive or an overreaction, but at least they're being compassionate about it and showing a sensitive side, even if it is a bit much. I can respect that.

I agree with the sentiment.

RLundi
12-14-2012, 10:40 PM
ESPN is a family company owned by Disney so this isn't all that surprising.

ManRam
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Nothing here....

VinceCarter
12-14-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think you can be over sensitve when somebody goes into and elementary school filled with children 5-10 years old and kills 20 of them. I live about 40 minutes from the shooting and at work a child came in with his parents. After looking at the child for a little bit I looked over and saw a lady was also looking at the child and I could see the sadness in the lady's face and I'm sure she saw mine. It really rocked CT as it should and across the nation should be no different.

LAKobeBryant
12-14-2012, 11:35 PM
a bit ridiclious

almost 30 people died. and most of them were little kids. not like ESPN are doing this for like a month. its 1 day i think you'll live with the changes.

Duncan = Donkey
12-15-2012, 12:22 AM
almost 30 people died. and most of them were little kids. not like ESPN are doing this for like a month. its 1 day i think you'll live with the changes.

I well aware of what happened.

It doesn't even bother me at all, i just find it ridiclious that they cant use the word shooter when talking about basketball.

I don't know what you mean by 'i think you'll live with the changes'.:confused:

Duncan = Donkey
12-15-2012, 12:25 AM
just to clarify before someone jumps down my throat.

It doesn't even bother me at all - is in relation to the action espn is taking, not the victims of the shooting

LAKobeBryant
12-15-2012, 01:30 AM
I well aware of what happened.

It doesn't even bother me at all, i just find it ridiclious that they cant use the word shooter when talking about basketball.

I don't know what you mean by 'i think you'll live with the changes'.:confused:

well i said before its only one day. so its not ridiculous for something so ridiculous happening today.