PDA

View Full Version : Winning Percentage As An Individual Stat?

Rivera
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Would you be opposed to seeing this?

JVG brought this up on ESPN when he was calling Wednesday game and said

"I know basketball is a team sport but if this was an individual stat that was put on the stat line next to points, rebounds, assists then players would care more about playing team ball and trying to win"

His argument was basically every great player has a winning percentage above .500 regardless the teams they have been on there entire career. He brought up Paul pierce as an example. Paul pierce played on some brutal celtics teams throughout his career but Paul pierces teams have still managed to win over 57% of their games

It makes some sense to me because basketball is one of the few team sports that an individual can influence the outcome of but at the end it's going to take a team to win a championship

Would you like to see Winning percentages as an individual stat for all players ?

Do you think all great players regardless of who is on there teams throughout there entire career should have a winning percentage over .500?

Maybe we can set a beromiter on where great players should have a career winning percentage of X?

Also got me thinking of what's KGs, Vince Carter, Tmac, iversons career winning percentage

Chronz
12-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Id rather know the winshares divided actual team wins

As for your query, I will look at my links but I remember Manu-TP-Duncan all ranking the highest.

Hellcrooner
12-14-2012, 05:39 PM
No.

You cant blame players when they are surrounded of subpar dudes.

Sactown
12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I actually thought about a stat when watching the Knicks game but I forgot what I was thinking about measuring haha. But I wondered if it would make players care more about being a team.

Sactown
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
On a side note, I think their should be a stat for
Blocks and Blocks recovered
Also deflections which would steals not recovered
I think those stats might add to players being more inspired to play defense, maybe add opposing players missed shots, as a stat line for a player who is covering someone else.

Minimal
12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Em no. This stat doesn't say much about the player. There are a lot of different situations.
Like Kobe joined Lakers (the most winningest franchise in NBA history) and played with Shaq from the start of his career, while lets say LeBron joined Cavaliers (very weak franchise) and spend 7 years playing with scrubs.

Ebbs
12-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I would look at it like I look at everything. But it be hard to put much stock into it.

Rivera
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Id rather know the winshares divided actual team wins

As for your query, I will look at my links but I remember Manu-TP-Duncan all ranking the highest.

That would make sense since those 3 have been together there whole career and I don't remember a losing season from that trio

It might be more useful for players who change teams or teams who seem to always be in flux ?

DreamShaker
12-15-2012, 04:09 AM
On a side note, I think their should be a stat for
Blocks and Blocks recovered
Also deflections which would steals not recovered
I think those stats might add to players being more inspired to play defense, maybe add opposing players missed shots, as a stat line for a player who is covering someone else.

When a player blocks a shot out of bounds, or it goes straight to the opposing team, it just seems so overrated. I would love to see that stat.

Ebbs
12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
I'm sure Dirk would be real high

TornadoOfSouls
12-15-2012, 09:41 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img535/7839/statswq.jpg

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
JVG speaks to wnating to see a stat that says if a guy is willing to play team ball to win. A percentage isn't going to do that. Mitch Richmond, for example,likely has a very low wining percentage (I would imagine under .500 since he played for bad Sactamento teams for so many seasons), but he was a team player who worked hard on defence. When he was with the GSW, he made that team better, and he made Sac-town better as well, good enough in fact that they usually won 30+ games and were never among the worst teams in the league, even when they missed the playoffs. The trouble with that is, because he helped them get more wins than they ought to have had, they never got very high drafts picks and were always picking somewhere around 10... and we all know most of the players picked around 10 are hit and miss. Then he got dumped on the lowly Wizards... horrid team at the time. So I think there are instances where winning% won't tell you the whole story.

And then there are some players who get drafted by good teams. Kobe was blessed in being brought is as a rookie to a team that featured three all-stars, so he started winning straight away, where as LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league at the time, so naturally, for the first part of their resepctive careers, Kobe will have a better winning%, but LBJ, I think most will agree, is the better 'team player'.

I understand that JVG wants to see a stat that gives you more insight into how the player plays in the team setting, but something like winning% isn't going to give you that much insight because that percentages is determined not just by how good a single player is, but by how good his teammates are and how good the coaching staff is.