PDA

View Full Version : Question about D'Antoni

sammyvine
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith said they don't respect him and he is awful

Is it true, if so why does he keep getting these top jobs.

QueensG_718
12-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Because of his fake gimmick offense

ewing
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
He is an offensive innovator. I think the league has largely caught up and adapted much of what he brought to the table into its norm. It gives him less of an advantage coaching offensive which is his bread and butter and brings more attention to the other areas. I also don't think he is made for the big city. He is a wise *** and stubborn coach- neither of which play well in the papers.

Skip and Steven A are jackasses.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
i dont even think they are running his offenses.. barely any p&r's.

should be very different once nash comes back, however, with the talent they have, still no excuse for them to be below .500

sammyvine
12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
He is an offensive innovator. I think the league has largely caught up and adapted much of what he brought to the table into its norm. It gives him less of an advantage coaching offensive which is his bread and butter and brings more attention to the other areas. I also don't think he is made for the big city. He is a wise *** and stubborn coach- neither of which play well in the papers.

Yeah i didnt like the way bayless and smith were talking about him even if he bad coach. Bayless was like ''i don't respect him'' and ''Nash made him''.
Smith was more fair.

DreamShaker
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Because Steve Nash made him look better than he is. Also, he has not had players who fit his system. Lakers are without Nash (who fits, obviously), and Gasol is a bad fit, as was Melo. As ewing just said, he is stubborn, and can't adjust. Remember when Shaq was traded for Marion? His ticket out of town. Gotta have the right personel, and he hasn't had it.

sep11ie
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Because they aren't in charge of hiring coaches.

TheIlladelph16
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Because they aren't in charge of hiring coaches.

The way the questions was posed... This is the correct answer.

D-Leethal
12-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Bingo. Mike D'Antoni ball is all over the league now. A ton of teams have adapted it to an extent. The proof is out there if you look at the landscape of offense in the league in the very early 00s compared to now.

Popovich has already said they are playing Mike D'Antoni ball. Mike Woodson has noted how the league has changed and everyone is doing it, which is part of why he's doing it. Bill Walton and many other analysts credit Mike D with 'saving the league' with his innovative speedball attack, but at this point, when everyone else is doing what he brought back, and many teams better equipped to do it with more success, he is getting exposed for everything he CAN'T do as a coach.

smith&wesson
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah i didnt like the way bayless and smith were talking about him even if he bad coach. Bayless was like ''i don't respect him'' and ''Nash made him''.
Smith was more fair.

both those guys are ******** and only there to say things for ratings. thats why they spew such garbage.

SirSkyHook
12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Bingo. Mike D'Antoni ball is all over the league now. A ton of teams have adapted it to an extent. The proof is out there if you look at the landscape of offense in the league in the very early 00s compared to now.

Popovich has already said they are playing Mike D'Antoni ball. Mike Woodson has noted how the league has changed and everyone is doing it, which is part of why he's doing it. Bill Walton and many other analysts credit Mike D with 'saving the league' with his innovative speedball attack, but at this point, when everyone else is doing what he brought back, and many teams better equipped to do it with more success, he is getting exposed for everything he CAN'T do as a coach.

This is dead on. So now its time to change his approach and game plan to fit personell

Hellcrooner
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
The only question is wich of these is better.

Clowntonio or Dumbtonio.

nycericanguy
12-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Agreed, for all the people that say "NY will live and die on the 3 ball"... the truth is the NBA as a whole is shooting a TON more 3's. And it makes sense, they have borrowed from D'antoni that 3's and shots at the rim are the most efficient shots.

Shooting the 3 at even 33% is alot better than shooting mid range shots and long 2's at around 40%.

I read somewhere that just a decade ago DAL led the entire NBA with 17 3 point attempts per game, this year the AVERAGE NBA team shoots well over 20 per game.

KNICKSTAPE 914
12-14-2012, 03:42 PM
he is touted as an offensive genius... nothing could be father from the truth, his system is basic elementary basketball...the most overrated coach in the nba...good riddence, it was a miserable 3 and a half years with him in charge...then mike woodson takes over and magically the culture changes and the team becomes legit...its not magic tho, its just the difference between a good coach and a lousy one

GiantsSwaGG
12-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Because Jim Buss and Justinnum1 thought it would be a good hire

sammyvine
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
so is he a poor coach?

Greedy22
12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Like those 2 guys opinions matter, they are jokes.

king4day
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
It's a couple of things.

1. He is a good coach. But his system only works with the right players.
In NY, it didn't work with Melo / Amar'e, so realistically, there's no reason to think it'd work with Kobe / Howard. NY didn't have a PG like Nash though. Which leads to...

2. Nash is the driver of Coach D's system. When he returns, D'Antoni must, and will, let Nash run the team
I would be stunned if there isn't a true turnaround on offense at the very least on his return.

If Kobe doesn't allow D'Antoni to run the team his way (with Nash running the show), LA will either find themselves trading big name players soon or paying Coach D to sit at home for 2 years.

ewing
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
so is he a poor coach?

I think he is a decent coach and a good one with the right cast. He was very good and Phx and respectable in NY. He gets far to much criticism for the job he did in NY. He took over a team that was coming off a 23 win season and that was looking to rebuild by shedding contracts. So the team sucked didn't mind if they got worse so long as they could get there cap situation under control.

In his first 2 years the teams won more games despite shedding talent to cut payroll. I would consider those 2 years well coached despite the fact that Knicks fan think he was awful in those years.

Once they started spending the team starting looking pretty good and then they traded for Melo and Billups and eventually brought in Chandler.

I don't think Mike and Melo ever saw eye to eye and I think once the team got rid of Walsh he really didn't have any allies in the front office either.

They still gave him a chance to make it work and he failed big time. Guys just weren't on board including his best player and that is a recipe for disaster.

So for most of Mike time in the NBA he has been a successful coach or a decent one in my mind. He did have one massive failure in NY but overall i don't think he deserves the moniker "clowntoni" or anything.

He115ing
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Anyone who actually watched him coach or heard him speak would know that he is a moron. He barely ever calls plays, he does not make adjustments. When you listen to him in timeouts all you hear is "go, go!" "run! Run!". Plus he is the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. He absolutely refuses to make his system fit the players that he has, instead he forces players into his run and gun offense. Plus he does not give 2 ***** about defense. I have no respect for him and knew that he was the wrong choice for the Lakers.
Even though I don't like Kobe I feel bad for him because he seems like the only one who gives 100%

DreamShaker
12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyone who actually watched him coach or heard him speak would know that he is a moron. He barely ever calls plays, he does not make adjustments. When you listen to him in timeouts all you hear is "go, go!" "run! Run!". Plus he is the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. He absolutely refuses to make his system fit the players that he has, instead he forces players into his run and gun offense. Plus he does not give 2 ***** about defense. I have no respect for him and knew that he was the wrong choice for the Lakers.
Even though I don't like Kobe I feel bad for him because he seems like the only one who gives 100%

Him and Artest.

AddiX
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Lakers decided to forget his time in ny and let 39 year old Nash trick an entire organization into thinking mke and Nash could turn back the clock.

Epic failure by lakers front office.

Mike is a gimmick. Nothing more.

Sactown
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
The problem with D'antoni is he tries to implament any players into his system regardless if it fits them.. He has a system, that only fits certain players, and if they don't have those players, he'll run that system anyways and they'll just continue to lose, IE Lakers, and Knicks without Felton.

Kashmir13579
12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Trade for Jeremy Lin.

DreamShaker
12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Trade for Jeremy Lin.

We will take Howard.

Kashmir13579
12-14-2012, 06:49 PM
We will take Howard.

Pau?

Kashmir13579
12-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Lakers should be smart enough to realize D'antoni needs a high-iq, capable PG. If they don't get him that, they will fail, and it will be there own fault. What do they really expect?

This idea that Mike should make adjustments and stop running his system may be the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. If you don't want Mike's system, hire a different coach..

OH BOY, A D'ANTONI COACHED TEAM WITHOUT A CAPABLE PG IS FAILING, I NEVER SAW THAT COMING...

sick of it

Enzo
12-14-2012, 07:00 PM
D'antoni's main problems are his stubborn attitude and lack of willingness to adjust his system to the players he has on his roster. Also his philosyphy is 90% offense 10% defense which will never be a recipe for success. The amount of time he spends on defense is a joke.

mavwar53
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
All I know is he is a lucky guy, gonna coach 60 or so games (if he makes it that far) and get payed 12 million dollars.

Cracka2HI!
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I think the biggest problem is the team that hired him. Even when Nash comes back they won't be able to defend anyone. Pau doesn't fit at all. Neither does Howard and really Kobe doesn't either. I don't think he can win a championship without playing D. Making the Playoffs isn't enough for Laker fans. The story is as overblown as it possibly could be. A lot of teams make bad coaching decisions. This time the Lakers did, that's the real story here.

PatriotsGirl
12-14-2012, 09:01 PM
He's a good coach, that's pretty obvious. It might just be a player mismatch at this point. He could really turn the Lakers around if given the chance.

Captain Moroni
12-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Spot on, Cant explain it better than this.

Captain Moroni
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
He's a good coach, that's pretty obvious. It might just be a player mismatch at this point. He could really turn the Lakers around if given the chance.

No, change the "C" to a "G" he could turn the lakers around if he was willing to "CHANGE"

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2012, 01:58 AM
This happens every once in a while in basketball. A coach uses an approach that is different than what other coaches are doing (I wouldn't say it is always an original idea, but just a way that has been done in the past that isn't as common). Don Nelson has taken over some teams that were peforming poorly and just let them shoot he lights out. I remember Lenny Wilkens and Mike Fratello (when they had essentially swapped jobs) used similar approaches in that they slowed the games down to reduce the number of possessions and used the entire shot clock to get a good shot off. The aim of this was to reduce the number of possessions and in turn reduce the number of points scored by the oppsing teams, so that toward the end of the games, rather than being down by double-digits to a superior team, they were down by single digits and were still 'in the game'. It worked out for both teams (ATL and Cleveland) in the regular season, but didn't do much in the post season for either. Other coaches adopted it though, and it was around the same time that Riley and Jackson were really running with great defensive sets and the game saw a marked change in the scores. But what happens is that teams adapt to the 'new' approach, or rather recycled approach that hasn't been used for a while, and then that coaching style is much less effective.

But yeah... I guy will come around, get a great result from a roster and earn a reputation, and people will give him a shot. I wasn't surprised when 'Antoni was offered the NY job. I mean, not many people wanted it at the time, and he had perforemd well with Phoenix, but as the front office allowed the roster to be depleted to save money, he wasn't going to be doing any better with the roster he had.

The time in NY was telling for me, and this season has been even more telling. One might expect that since he got to work with Amare again that he might get good results with him, and he did initially, running the P&R with Felton, but when Melo came it the chemistry got a bit upset and 'Antoni was unable to adjust. Then Chandler came over and 'Antoni was giving Amare's P&Rs to Chandler? A bit odd isn't it? And then failed to incorperate Melo well. We've see this year that even with a depleted roster Woodson has been able to get this team winning at a high level, and has Melo playing as well as ever. 'Antoni was, from what I read, asking NY to trade Melo because he couldn't get anything out of him. Hindsight has shown us that this was a coaching issue and not a player issue because Melo has been playing his best ball under Woodson.

How 'antoni got he NY job? I can see... what I can't see is how he got the LA job. Of course, I don't know how Mike Brown got the job first... good coach, but not the right coach for the situation. Aldeman wouldn't have been the best fit for LAL when Jackson left, either that or giving Brian Shaw a chance.... Brown? I dunno... and 'Antoni is just as bad for all the opposite reason.

I don't expect that he will get a jobn anywhere outside or Toronto after this stint in LAL though... and only then if BC is still in charge.

Bottom line is this: a great coach works with what he has. This is why I have so much respect for Riley... he came from LAL with the showtime Lakers and took over a Knicks team that just did not have the tools to win like that, and rather than trying to make them fit his style, he took what he had and changed his focus and won games with defence where he had been seen as an offensive coach in the past. Jackson likewise was able to win with Jordan and Pippen running an unconventional offence with unconventional PGs in Pipper and Jordan, and then when he got Shaq, he adjusted the way he coached the game to fit in with his skill set.

'Antoni did a great job on Phoenix, of that there is no doubt, and that justifies his getting a job in NY, but his performance in NY? LAL should have known they what they were getting themselves into.

ewing
12-15-2012, 03:03 AM
This happens every once in a while in basketball. A coach uses an approach that is different than what other coaches are doing (I wouldn't say it is always an original idea, but just a way that has been done in the past that isn't as common). Don Nelson has taken over some teams that were peforming poorly and just let them shoot he lights out. I remember Lenny Wilkens and Mike Fratello (when they had essentially swapped jobs) used similar approaches in that they slowed the games down to reduce the number of possessions and used the entire shot clock to get a good shot off. The aim of this was to reduce the number of possessions and in turn reduce the number of points scored by the oppsing teams, so that toward the end of the games, rather than being down by double-digits to a superior team, they were down by single digits and were still 'in the game'. It worked out for both teams (ATL and Cleveland) in the regular season, but didn't do much in the post season for either. Other coaches adopted it though, and it was around the same time that Riley and Jackson were really running with great defensive sets and the game saw a marked change in the scores. But what happens is that teams adapt to the 'new' approach, or rather recycled approach that hasn't been used for a while, and then that coaching style is much less effective.

But yeah... I guy will come around, get a great result from a roster and earn a reputation, and people will give him a shot. I wasn't surprised when 'Antoni was offered the NY job. I mean, not many people wanted it at the time, and he had perforemd well with Phoenix, but as the front office allowed the roster to be depleted to save money, he wasn't going to be doing any better with the roster he had.

The time in NY was telling for me, and this season has been even more telling. One might expect that since he got to work with Amare again that he might get good results with him, and he did initially, running the P&R with Felton, but when Melo came it the chemistry got a bit upset and 'Antoni was unable to adjust. Then Chandler came over and 'Antoni was giving Amare's P&Rs to Chandler? A bit odd isn't it? And then failed to incorperate Melo well. We've see this year that even with a depleted roster Woodson has been able to get this team winning at a high level, and has Melo playing as well as ever. 'Antoni was, from what I read, asking NY to trade Melo because he couldn't get anything out of him. Hindsight has shown us that this was a coaching issue and not a player issue because Melo has been playing his best ball under Woodson.

How 'antoni got he NY job? I can see... what I can't see is how he got the LA job. Of course, I don't know how Mike Brown got the job first... good coach, but not the right coach for the situation. Aldeman wouldn't have been the best fit for LAL when Jackson left, either that or giving Brian Shaw a chance.... Brown? I dunno... and 'Antoni is just as bad for all the opposite reason.

I don't expect that he will get a jobn anywhere outside or Toronto after this stint in LAL though... and only then if BC is still in charge.

Bottom line is this: a great coach works with what he has. This is why I have so much respect for Riley... he came from LAL with the showtime Lakers and took over a Knicks team that just did not have the tools to win like that, and rather than trying to make them fit his style, he took what he had and changed his focus and won games with defence where he had been seen as an offensive coach in the past. Jackson likewise was able to win with Jordan and Pippen running an unconventional offence with unconventional PGs in Pipper and Jordan, and then when he got Shaq, he adjusted the way he coached the game to fit in with his skill set.

'Antoni did a great job on Phoenix, of that there is no doubt, and that justifies his getting a job in NY, but his performance in NY? LAL should have known they what they were getting themselves into.

Good post

Cracka2HI!
12-15-2012, 06:32 AM
I said the same thing in 2 sentences.

waveycrockett
12-15-2012, 06:56 AM
When he has the right players his system is unstoppable

nyKnicks126
12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
The way they treated Phil Jackson just proved the Lakers have no class..

YashBoone
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
The problem with mike d as I see it is that he basically just sucks. Plain and simple.

I watched year after year in ny as he just couldn't adjust his system to adapt to different circumstances at all.

To put it another way, mike d NEEDS an entire team that fits his system perfectly, which is what he had in Phoenix. As soon as his team was ****ed with, he started going down.