PDA

View Full Version : Player-coach?

DreamShaker
12-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm watching the Knicks-Lakers game with my wife, and she says "why doesn't Kobe just coach the team??" Made me think of Bill Russell and his seasons as a player-coach. My question is, could that work today? And who would be the best player-coach in the NBA right now??

bholly
12-13-2012, 09:35 PM
For what it's worth, you aren't allowed to have a player-coach anymore, because of the salary cap issues with paying a player and extra coach's salary that doesn't count towards the cap.

Having said that, there are plenty of guys that come to mind, mostly vet PGs - Chauncey, Fisher, Kidd are the usual names people suggest, I think, and all sound pretty good to me.

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I think Fisher would be great at it. He's the only guy I don't think would always put himself in when he wants to be one, he would put the best players on the court in important situations. Chauncey I'm not sure, but Kidd, I think, would put himself in when the game is on the line even if he was playing bad.

You can have player coaches... Tree Rollins served as an assistant while he was still a player, as did Chuck Person. But I'm not sure about the rules with salary cap and such.

GunFactor187
12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Even though it's not in technical terms he's still in that player-coach role.

ManRam
12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I think as long as Kobe is playing, he'd be a terrible coach. You think he could handle his emotions properly enough as a player to coach other players? Naaahh....

DreamShaker
12-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I think as long as Kobe is playing, he'd be a terrible coach. You think he could handle his emotions properly enough as a player to coach other players? Naaahh....

Oh, I agree. My wife is no a die-hard fan by any means.

ManRam
12-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Oh, I agree. My wife is no a die-hard fan by any means.

Hey, it sounds like she knows enough, and that's awesome.

I, for the record, don't think Kobe would be a good coach period, let alone player-coach.

DreamShaker
12-13-2012, 10:49 PM

I, for the record, don't think Kobe would be a good coach period, let alone player-coach.

Lol. I can't complain about her in any way. Best wife ever.

Back to basketball. I agree. Most superstars make bad coaches. And GM's. You look at most of the great coaches who played and they were role players.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Kobe would probably set every play for him if he were the coach.

Nash would be better in that role. That's what he already does when he's on the floor.

DreamShaker
12-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Kobe would probably set every play for him if he were the coach.

Nash would be better in that role. That's what he already does when he's on the floor.

I think he is the only reason Mike D still getting jobs. Made him look way better than he is.

Wes_Craven
12-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Lol. I can't complain about her in any way. Best wife ever.

Back to basketball. I agree. Most superstars make bad coaches. And GM's. You look at most of the great coaches who played and they were role players.

Not to sound harsh, but I believe this is because those players spend a lot more time on the bench(not to be funny) and observe the game more than a star player would.

Also(on the bench) they spend more time with coaches/assistant coaches to really dissect their brain and really understand X's & O's along with practice, film sessions, etc. And are able to see the changes in tempo and see when things aren't going well, etc.

Not trying to say that great players can't/won't be great coaches/GMs because they, for lack of a better word, 'suffer' from this because, as great as Larry Bird was, he turned out to be a nice coach and a very solid front office exec.

Shortys4711
12-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I think a lot of players do this already, but you still need your coach, you gotta have that outside view of the game as well. In Australia a few years ago we had a player coach in the NBL, didnt work out great but when ur talking NBL nothing works out great. such a crap league.

IndyRealist
12-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I think Fisher would be great at it. He's the only guy I don't think would always put himself in when he wants to be one, he would put the best players on the court in important situations. Chauncey I'm not sure, but Kidd, I think, would put himself in when the game is on the line even if he was playing bad.

You can have player coaches... Tree Rollins served as an assistant while he was still a player, as did Chuck Person. But I'm not sure about the rules with salary cap and such.

You used to be able to have player coaches. It's not allowed anymore.

mightybosstone
12-14-2012, 12:28 AM
It would have to be a high character player in his mid-late 30s who doesn't mind passing in late game situations and has an extremely high basketball IQ and overall intelligence. Guys who come to mind are Nash, Battier, Grant Hill and Fisher.

But I don't think we'll ever see another player coach in the NBA.

SportsFanatic10
12-14-2012, 01:11 AM
michael beasley

Baller1
12-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Nate McMillan was very "player-coach"-ish. Miss him... :(

Fisher, Lebron, Chauncey, Battier, Andre Miller come to mind.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-16-2012, 01:59 AM

I think Kobe knows the game very well.He's done enough winning to prove that. I think if he gave you a role and you stuck to it and gave it your all it would probably workHhe would also have the abily to bench people and put in personale that he's thinks would work .egos would get involved though and it most likely would fail.

Il Mago50
12-16-2012, 02:16 AM
LOL can you imagine Kobe as a player-coach...

"Now Dwight, I want you to grab the rebound or dump in and pass it to me right away for the shot. Pau, you didn't look for me that time, bench."

Mr_Jones
12-16-2012, 02:16 AM

You also think he's the worst person ever.

heyman321
12-16-2012, 02:21 AM
michael beasley

he would be the best coach. *TIMEOUT*

"Okay guys, we're not smoking enough weed. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. TEAM ON 3!"

Players: "whaaaat dude?? What are you talking about maaaaaaaaaaaaan?"

THE MTL
12-16-2012, 02:22 AM
This is Kobe's game plan......"Give the ball to me and clear out" lmao.

But seriously, I think Jason Kidd could do both. The whole Knicks organization raves about Jason Kidd. Even though, he's been in the league so long....you dont truly appreciate him until he's played on your team. We call him Yoda