PDA

View Full Version : Why do we even vote for the NBA All Star Game?

orgnpurple13
12-13-2012, 05:36 PM
In all honesty, it is just pathetic. They just released the first return for the ballot and you look through it and its the same thing every year.

One example that I find ridiculous is that Dirk Nowitzki has more votes than Zach Randolph(who is putting up MVP type numbers and making the Grizzlies contenders).

I think the NBA needs to put less influence on the fans vote. JMO

nickdymez
12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Awesome

Minimal
12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Anderson Varejao has 57,000 votes while Jeremy Lin has 298,000:facepalm:

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Anderson Varejao has 57,000 votes while Jeremy Lin has 298,000:facepalm:

Brook Lopez is behind Amare Stoudemire and Andrew Bynum...

Well with Jeremy Lin, there's only 1 asian man for asians to vote for.

Ebbs
12-13-2012, 06:30 PM

lOL bYNUM

jmoney85
12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

hilarious

Bishnoff
12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it's a joke. I haven't voted in years. No point.

Like when Yao would get voted in year after year when he was injured for the season (or at least guaranteed to be injured for ASW). What is the point in voting for a player when there's no chance that they will play???

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2012, 09:30 PM
The game is 'for the fans'. So the fans get to vote for who they want to watch.

The All-NBA team is really the more presitgeous accolade, or being named as an All-Star reserve by the coaches.

kobe4thewinbang
12-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Yeah, it's a joke. I haven't voted in years. No point.

Like when Yao would get voted in year after year when he was injured for the season (or at least guaranteed to be injured for ASW). What is the point in voting for a player when there's no chance that they will play???Stupid people don't know any better. "Hey, let's vote for that tall Asian guy. He's cool."

dodie53
12-14-2012, 06:57 AM
no point in voting

BALLER R
12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
If Jeremy Lin ends up starting in the West I probably won't even watch that game. Also you gotta think the players want some say in this. I don't understand why not have fans vote only be a percentage and then people around the league can make up the other percentage of the votes.

Trueblue2
12-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Wow... At least when NHL fans voted a scrub into the all star game it was on purpose.

JEDean89
12-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Jeremy Lin will probably be the cause of a rule change in the voting system. Even if he never gets back to being close to what he was in NY, he will be voted in every year. 28 games or something and lifelong allstar appearances! All star weekend is a huge joke in the nba anyway, the only fun event is the 3 pt contest. The rising stars sucks, the allstar game sucks, the dunk contest is a huge joke and the skills challenge is like watching practice. If they want to do Allstar weekend right they would make it competitive.

1. Fix the Allstar game itself - it needs to be more competitive, one idea I was thinking is that each player on the winning team gets to donate 10,000 from the NBA to a charity. It would give it at least some incentive.

2. Add a one on one event. This is something we have all wanted for years and they need to do it. I would say fans get to vote in 8 players who play in a mini tournament of one on one. I think this is something that the players would enjoy to, Kobe Irving, Kobe Lebron, Melo-Durant, their would be so many great pairings. Again, some sort of financial incentive to win.

3. Fix the dunk contest. The real problem with the dunk contest is the contestants. I have heard that the superstars don't like competing in too many events because it takes up too much time and there is so much non basketball related activities for superstars to partake in over the weekend. Therefore, it would make sense to reduce some of the time requirements for the dunk contest. Get me Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Lebron James, Paul George and Javale McGee in a contest. That would be fun.

It's not like their isn't an interest for NBA fans to watch all the best players get together and display their skills but it has grown into a joke. I think the NBA should reverse the way the All stars are selected. Coaches and analysts pick the starters and we get to vote in the other 7 per team. No one would give a **** about Jeremy Lin making the all star team as a 3rd string guard. Figure it out nba! This weekend has so much potential, one on one having the most since football and baseball you can't do one on one, people would just love that ****. I think it could bring the NBA a lot of extra revenue to.

marvILLous
12-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Lol it's probably already fixed anyway

Fans (supposedly) only vote for the starters anyway.. The starters look right to me. Lin probably has 500k votes or something like that but Stern would never let him play in an all star game..

So even if Lin finishes third for the rest of his life he's never gonna be an all star unless he actually plays like one lol