PDA

View Full Version : Should the nba adopt the nfl playoff system?

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Watching first take today they mention nfl maybe suggesting adding 16 team playoff, which i find insane no need to change that format at all not enough good teams to do it anyway.

So I was thinking should the nba in turn though make it tougher to make the playoffs. I mean 16 teams is alot for a 30 team league. I think if they change to a 12 teams system 6 east and 6 from west. The top two seeds get bye week possible 2 if the first round games go 7.

It would eliminate teams from taking games off in the 82 game season, ala spurs leaving players home etc.,heat playing when they feel like it, teams just playing the season with no urgency.

By making the top two seeds get that extra rest i feel that would add incentive for older teams or top teams to play for something before playoff time. Then middle or second tier teams play to stay in that top six.

I added a poll should the nba change there format to lesser teams or stay the same or adopt the nfl format?

JiffyMix88
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd say no. What would come with that is rust and I can see some teams who are hot in the first series being able to sneak a few wins and move on if playing a team who hasn't played in two/three weeks.

Basketball has the most exciting playoff format as is.

Theyhateme459
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
No... the NFL needs less teams because in a one and done situation you open the door to lesser teams making a run (I mean you only need a 2 game winning streak to be in the conference championship game).

The NBA is good at 16 because you have a best of 7 series ensuring that any team who moves on really earns it. So if a 7 or 8 seed is not good they may win a game, but they will be out quickly.

mightybosstone
12-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I actually don't think this is a horrible idea, but the length of that first round would be critical. If you had a seven-game series at the start of the playoffs and the four best teams had to sit out, that's a LONG time for a team to not play a basketball game. I would support this if they had a best of three series in the first round and seven-game series the rest of the way.

However, I would argue that the NBA playoffs are the most interesting postseason of all the major professional sports. Because they're much longer, there's more of a chance for injuries and upsets. And the occasional upset game over a seven-game series adds major intrigue to an otherwise boring series.

The one change I would make to the current format is to make the first round shorter. The 4-5 series and 3-6 series are always interesting, but there are so few interesting 7-2 and 8-1 series, that they just become a total bore after a while. I would shorten the first round to at least five games, possibly three. They've had shorter first rounds in the past, I believe. I would go back to that format.

NBAfan4life
12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
First off the playoffs is where the owners make their money. No way and hell they sacrifice 2 to 4 sold out games.

I enjoy the playoffs as they are though. Playoff games>>>>>>>>>>>>regular season games. I don't want less playoff games

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
No... the NFL needs less teams because in a one and done situation you open the door to lesser teams making a run (I mean you only need a 2 game winning streak to be in the conference championship game).

The NBA is good at 16 because you have a best of 7 series ensuring that any team who moves on really earns it. So if a 7 or 8 seed is not good they may win a game, but they will be out quickly.

That second part exactly if u a one seed and u sweep and say the other bracket goes seven u still get about 7 to 8 days off. So y not have to oppurtunity to earn that rest having one of the best 4 records in the league

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I mean the only 8 seeds that have won a series in the first round in past 20 yrs have been denver,sixers,knicks,and warriors. I dont even remember the number of seven seeds in the past 20 yrs but im sure its less than five.

So wouldnt the playoffs still be great with the best of the best only making it baseball playoffs sure dont lack excitement with only 4 teams making it fromeach side i dont think bball would be hurt by losing 2 teams each way other than what one post stated owners missing out on more money.

Not worried for owners im sure they will find a way to make up for that money lost in some other aspect.

richiesaurus310
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
The NBA should but theres less money in it for the nba then. Why do you think the first round went from 5 to a 7 game series like the others.

todu82
12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Option 2. It's worked fine for years as it is, keep it that way.

Hellcrooner
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
no to nfl system.

yes to go back to only 4 east team and 4 west teams making the playoffs.

THE MTL
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Watching first take today they mention nfl maybe suggesting adding 16 team playoff, which i find insane no need to change that format at all not enough good teams to do it anyway.

So I was thinking should the nba in turn though make it tougher to make the playoffs. I mean 16 teams is alot for a 30 team league. I think if they change to a 12 teams system 6 east and 6 from west. The top two seeds get bye week possible 2 if the first round games go 7.

It would eliminate teams from taking games off in the 82 game season, ala spurs leaving players home etc.,heat playing when they feel like it, teams just playing the season with no urgency.

By making the top two seeds get that extra rest i feel that would add incentive for older teams or top teams to play for something before playoff time. Then middle or second tier teams play to stay in that top six.

I added a poll should the nba change there format to lesser teams or stay the same or adopt the nfl format?

Umm, the Spurs rested guys one month into the season. We havent played 20 games yet....so tell me how does the new playoff format change that?

I dont like the NFL's way of doing things, because it puts too much stress on your division which can have huge disparities. In the NBA, while you play more games against division rivals (and leaders do take 3 of the 4 top seeds) you still must be a good team around the entire league.

Also, missing 1-2 weeks waiting for a lower team to win would make the top seeds rusty.

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Umm, the Spurs rested guys one month into the season. We havent played 20 games yet....so tell me how does the new playoff format change that?

I dont like the NFL's way of doing things, because it puts too much stress on your division which can have huge disparities. In the NBA, while you play more games against division rivals (and leaders do take 3 of the 4 top seeds) you still must be a good team around the entire league.

Also, missing 1-2 weeks waiting for a lower team to win would make the top seeds rusty.

But u dont think pop would push for a top seed to give his team that additional rest .............i mean he seems big on resting duncan and manu alot and he would luv that right for that playoff run.

Also i dont think the rust factor is big its a series not a single game playoff...if u lose to a team 4 times rust aint the issue.

SteBO
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I actually don't think this is a horrible idea, but the length of that first round would be critical. If you had a seven-game series at the start of the playoffs and the four best teams had to sit out, that's a LONG time for a team to not play a basketball game. I would support this if they had a best of three series in the first round and seven-game series the rest of the way.

However, I would argue that the NBA playoffs are the most interesting postseason of all the major professional sports. Because they're much longer, there's more of a chance for injuries and upsets. And the occasional upset game over a seven-game series adds major intrigue to an otherwise boring series.

The one change I would make to the current format is to make the first round shorter. The 4-5 series and 3-6 series are always interesting, but there are so few interesting 7-2 and 8-1 series, that they just become a total bore after a while. I would shorten the first round to at least five games, possibly three. They've had shorter first rounds in the past, I believe. I would go back to that format.
mightybosstone ftw! Shorten the first round to a 5 game series. Round 1 year after year is susceptible to more boredom whether it be the quality of teams, or the quality of play. In addition to that, there are more days between first round games for any given series, which further drags it out.

THE MTL
12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
But u dont think pop would push for a top seed to give his team that additional rest .............i mean he seems big on resting duncan and manu alot and he would luv that right for that playoff run.

Also i dont think the rust factor is big its a series not a single game playoff...if u lose to a team 4 times rust aint the issue.

You see what ppl dont understand is that Pop is not concerned about rest. He is concerned about the health/well-being of his team. He rested his starters because it was 7 games in 10 nights and he most likely will always rest his guys in this case (without politics being involved of course).

Im pretty sure Pop would rather play a whole series and miss a bye-week if that means he has a healthy roster going into the playoffs.

waveycrockett
12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
These guys play 82 games to make it to the the playoffs not 16 or in some cases 14. How is it fair to have 1 game decide their fate?

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
These guys play 82 games to make it to the the playoffs not 16 or in some cases 14. How is it fair to have 1 game decide their fate?

lol u missed the thread completely we are talking the number of teams making it and the top seeds having byes...not series being eliminated

Faabs89
12-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd say no. What would come with that is rust and I can see some teams who are hot in the first series being able to sneak a few wins and move on if playing a team who hasn't played in two/three weeks.

Basketball has the most exciting playoff format as is.

Basketball is the most boring imo

NYKNYGNYY
12-13-2012, 03:36 PM
The first place teams with a bye would have way to long off ...

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
The first place teams with a bye would have way to long off ...

You guys arent looking at the adjusted schedule 2 weeks would be the max.

Remember by there only being 12 teams with four with a bye games wont be as strecth apart. There would be 4 first round series 3 vs 6 on both sides and 4 vs 5. each nite would be a double header. So even if the series went 7 each 14 days plus u could give a 2 day window for the bye team waiting for the team that advance coming to there arena to play game 1.

Remember the nfl has two weeks off 2 for being the top seeds so r u guys saying u dont like ur teams having the bye week going into the playoffs. Not to mention some possible 3 weeks when there last regular season game isnt important.

True Sports Fan
12-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Leave it the way it is.

Theyhateme459
12-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Basketball is the most boring imo

To each their own... NBA playoffs has been a reason the NBA has slowly raised the last few years into becoming my favorite sports league to watch.

I love all of the NBA playoffs.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
YES, more than half the league making the playoffs is stupid!

Jayrich28
12-13-2012, 09:07 PM
YES, more than half the league making the playoffs is stupid!

I wouldnt say stupid more like undeserving especially the past decade in the east where mediocore teams make it year after year

kobe4thewinbang
12-14-2012, 05:11 AM
That would mean a bad performance gets you eliminated. No thanks. Every team goes cold shooting, players get hurt, etc, etc. The 7 game series concept is fine.

Guppyfighter
12-14-2012, 06:18 AM
NFL is going to adopt basketball playoff style soon.

BlackHoleCub
12-14-2012, 06:55 AM
My biggest dislike for the nba and mlb playoffs is the series length. Each round should be three. Baseball five. Partially why college basketball is so much more exciting is the fact that there are no series. I do not support one game for pros but support getting closer to that.

MickeyMgl
12-14-2012, 06:55 AM
The NBA playoff format is terrible.

MickeyMgl
12-14-2012, 06:56 AM
My biggest dislike for the nba and mlb playoffs is the series length. Each round should be three. Baseball five. Partially why college basketball is so much more exciting is the fact that there are no series. I do not support one game for pros but support getting closer to that.

3-game 1st-round series would be good. 5 games, max.

MickeyMgl
12-14-2012, 07:00 AM
First off the playoffs is where the owners make their money. No way and hell they sacrifice 2 to 4 sold out games.

Except that 1st-round games frequently don't sell out. Evidence that the product (NBA playoff basketball) is too watered down. Too many teams, not enough good matchups.

bootleg42
12-14-2012, 07:38 AM
I would want a system that could encourage an upset here and there. In the NBA, no such system exists.

Dare I say, the first round should be..............one game. One and done. Same matchup format, but it's one game. After the first round, keep everything best of 7. This would create parity and more interest because now the Bucks can beat the heat in the first round and make the second round and things get more interesting. Good teams will still win overall.

For those complaining about mediocre teams getting in, well they don't go too far, and the conference finals participants are usually predictable most of the time.

Theyhateme459
12-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I would want a system that could encourage an upset here and there. In the NBA, no such system exists.

Dare I say, the first round should be..............one game. One and done. Same matchup format, but it's one game. After the first round, keep everything best of 7. This would create parity and more interest because now the Bucks can beat the heat in the first round and make the second round and things get more interesting. Good teams will still win overall.

For those complaining about mediocre teams getting in, well they don't go too far, and the conference finals participants are usually predictable most of the time.

IF you like unpredictability you would like the NHL playoffs... Me personally I want to see the best of the best teams play. Who wan't to see OKC, Miami, or the Knicks out in 1 game in the first round and then no more of that team??? I guess you do, but not me.

Some of these finals as of late has been great because we do have great quality in the finals... teams are really polished by time they make it to that stage.