PDA

View Full Version : During the Stephen A. Smith interview, Kobe says Melo is the most unguardable player

Longhornfan1234
12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't have the link. ESPN keeps replaying that clip from the interview. Thoughts?

:EDIT: here's the interview: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8739627&categoryid=2378529

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:15 PM
When he's on, he is unguardable. He has every tool to beat u with post up, turn around jumpshot, elbow jumpshot, 3pt shot etc, drives to the basket, great offensive rebounder and put back. Pick your poison!

justinnum1
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Durant

SteBO
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Not saying anything we don't know. He's got the total package as an offensive player.

HYFR
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Op you know what kind of answers your gonna get in here. Shoulda posted this in the nyk forum

RonE Coleman
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Durant

Better shooter, not a better all around scoring game.

Ill take Kobe's word over yours any day of the week.

Longhornfan1234
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Op you know what kind of answers your gonna get in here. Shoulda posted this in the nyk forum

LOL, so I can read a circle jerk? No offense.

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Durant

Never knew Durant had a post up game up to Melo's level. All in all Melo and Durant are one and two when it comes to unguardable

bagwell368
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Poor Knicks fans are so bereft that they have to seize on anything to prove that they are a serious contender.

OK, the Knicks are really really good. OK.

Now go.

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Poor Knicks fans are so bereft that they have to seize on anything to prove that they are a serious contender.

Now go.

You mad brah?

justinnum1
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Now go.

the knicks fans on this site are way to young to know what that word means.

RonE Coleman
12-12-2012, 07:29 PM

You are "bereft" of any basketball knowledge.

Keep trolling/Lebron Nuthugging

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
You are "bereft" of any basketball knowledge.

Keep trolling/Lebron Nuthugging

:laugh:

knicksfan42
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Now go.

Funny thing is a non-Knicks fan made this thread. Now go to sleep.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I would say that right now, Melo does have the best inside-outside offensive game in the league. He's back to 2009 Melo.

J4KOP99
12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I honestly think that in situations like this, Kobe doesn't say leBron because he thinks people will forget about how dominant LeBron has been against Kobe and the Lakers.

Clearly this answer is LeBron. Kobe has been able to "stop" Melo on many occasions. He has never come close to "stopping" a prime LeBron.

I'm a Lakers fan and believe me, LeBron causes many more problems than Melo ever has.

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
I honestly think that in situations like this, Kobe doesn't say leBron because he thinks people will forget about how dominant LeBron has been against Kobe and the Lakers.

Clearly this answer is LeBron. Kobe has been able to "stop" Melo on many occasions. He has never come close to "stopping" a prime LeBron.

I'm a Lakers fan and believe me, LeBron causes many more problems than Melo ever has.

You haven't watched Melo enough. Lebron can't guard Melo for ****

And besides Kobe is a so so defender

J4KOP99
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Watch the full Kobe interview. Kobe is talking about who HE finds to be the most unguardable.

Kobe D's up Melo pretty well and the Lakers as a team, have handled him well over the years. Kobe gets dominated by LeBron and the Lakers have had a ton of trouble playing any LeBron-led team.

-I am not talking about who has the most complete offensive game. I am simply saying who Kobe has more trouble with.

PC
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM

*too

ManRam
12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
OMG!

This is amazing!

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Watch the full Kobe interview. Kobe is talking about who HE finds to be the most unguardable.

Kobe D's up Melo pretty well and the Lakers as a team, have handled him well over the years. Kobe gets dominated by LeBron and the Lakers have had a ton of trouble playing any LeBron-led team.

-I am not talking about who has the most complete offensive game. I am simply saying who Kobe has more trouble with.

Well we're talking how can't be guarded by anyone not just kobe

RonE Coleman
12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
*too

:clap:

Justinum1 getting shown up as always

:burn:

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM

umm no lebron would be on my top 5 most unguarable but not infront of melo kobe or durant those three can do it all on the offensive end, if u close the lane on lebron hes still pretty good but his offensive game becomes limited

Greedy22
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
It's his opinion to have, when Melo is on I'd have to agree and so far he's been pretty on this season.

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
*too

:laugh: :laugh: justin is such a fail :laugh:

LongIslandIcedZ
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
He said Melo/Pierce/Someone else.

And Durant is right there.

He said he has trouble with guys that can shoot from the outside, but can also take the ball inside in the post.

It's not like he's wrong.

Da Knicks
12-12-2012, 08:02 PM

lol

Kobe aint lying!

sp1derm00
12-12-2012, 08:04 PM

The play between Kobe and Lebron is a lot closer than people think. Lebron's teams have certainly won more than lost against Kobe's teams, but their performances have been fairly close.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=bryanko01

Take into consideration, in their first two games against each other, Kobe played 17 and 6 minutes respectively.

You should also notice that Kobe's losses to Lebron have come from Lebron's days in MIA and from Kobe's teams with Smush/Kwame/Luke as starters. Also, keep in mind that Kobe and Lebron almost never guard each other, and when they do, Kobe mostly gets the upper hand. Lebron's Cavs were also a very good team defensively, while the Lakers were mediocre at best and mostly relied on Kobe's scoring.

Stats on when Kobe and Lebron have guarded each other:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5688669

They both do play excellent defense on each other, but Kobe does have the upper hand. He is a better man-defender than Lebron, and it's not arguable. Lebron is mostly a better help defender, but he is still a very good on-ball defender.

When you look at Melo vs the Lakers:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=anthoca01&p2=bryanko01

Melo scores more efficiently than even Lebron, just shoots less and gets to the line less than Lebron has. He takes 4 less shots and 3 less FT's per game than Lebron does, yet he only scores 5 ppg less than Lebron.

DragonJaii
12-12-2012, 08:06 PM
*too

owned.

Knicks21
12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
*too

Hahahahahahaah :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Patrick Ewing33
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Melo is the best all around offensive player in the NBA. Don't shoot me just yet... by no means am I saying Melo is better Durant..

Ill21
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Too young?

justinnum1
12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Too young?

Yep.

sp1derm00
12-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Melo is the best all around offensive player in the NBA. Don't shoot me just yet... by no means am I saying Melo is better Durant..

I think Kobe still has more of a claim to that title than Melo does.

bucketss
12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
umm no lebron would be on my top 5 most unguarable but not infront of melo kobe or durant those three can do it all on the offensive end, if u close the lane on lebron hes still pretty good but his offensive game becomes limited

do people still think the zone can stop lebron? bwhahaha

bucketss
12-12-2012, 08:30 PM

when did kobe bryant retire?

Patrick Ewing33
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I think Kobe still has more of a claim to that title than Melo does.Kobe is the better offensive player in the league no doubt and one of the best all time. But Melo is the best all around offensivily in the league, I think what seperates him from Kobe as the most "All Around" is he is relentless on the offensive board and put backs and can score every single way possible. But that doesn't take anything away from Kobe, of course he's better offensivly, Melo just has more weapons.

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
when did kobe bryant retire?

When Melo came into the league

bucketss
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
When Melo came into the league

is melo a top prospect in the 2015 draft?

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 08:36 PM
is melo a top prospect in the 2015 draft?

Yeah so is Durant.

SteBO
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't even think LBJ should even be brought up in here because its already a given that he's unguardable. Melo just has all the tools offensively.....there's no weaknesses in his offensive game. NONE.

Slug3
12-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Has Kobe ever guarded lebron/Melo/KD? If so I think it's not many times.

sp1derm00
12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Has Kobe ever guarded lebron/Melo/KD? If so I think it's not many times.

I don't know about KD, but Kobe has guarded Bron:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5688669

ESPN wrote an article on it when Kobe came out and said he would take Lebron 1v1.

Melo, while I don't have stats, I do remember that Melo was too strong for Kobe and kinda bullied him around when Kobe switched onto him. I think that's why Kobe thinks Melo is the most unguardable for him. He has a similar offensive arsenal as Kobe, but he's stronger.

Beltrans Mole
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Cmon stop this nonsense. Don't give Melo credit...he's on the Knicks, not the Nuggets.

PurpleJesus
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
When he's on, he is unguardable. He has every tool to beat u with post up, turn around jumpshot, elbow jumpshot, 3pt shot etc, drives to the basket, great offensive rebounder and put back. Pick your poison!

I would agree with this. The issue prior to this season, is that he had multiple seasons where he was so inconsistent. He has finally brought some consistency to his game this year, and now he appears to be a top 5 player.

dee279
12-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Looking at the title, i came in just to see who started this thread. Not the guy i expected.

--23--
12-12-2012, 09:23 PM
i agree with Kobe, matter fact i been saying the same thing for years now.

BULLSFAN0810
12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't even think LBJ should even be brought up in here because its already a given that he's unguardable. Melo just has all the tools offensively.....there's no weaknesses in his offensive game. NONE.

Cmon dude. Join the real world. J.j Barrea exposed James . He couldn't post the diminutive pg. he threw up bricks in more than one final apearance (spurs). The guy just took ball serious.it took him blaming his team in cleveland (best record 2 years) then when he came to miami and lost, he couldn't blame no one, so he had to work on his game. Remember the 4 quarters for a dollar joke? Unstoppable is having more than one go to move or 1 move you can't stop. James has NO signature move. No go to move. So far as unstoppable I attribute it to the rules of perimeter defense where he gets his REAL ADVANTAGE. Whereas the others mentioned can do other things than charge head down into a pack of defenders .

BULLSFAN0810
12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
T
i agree with Kobe, matter fact i been saying the same thing for years now.

I've been saying it for 3 years. I actually believe James isn't better than Melo. But now people wanna give props...same people who dissed. You 3 years too late

Dankster
12-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Well the main difference between Durant and Melo is Melo's superior post game. If the Knicks need a basket, they know they can feed him in the post, and at that point, the opposing defender is at the mercy of Melo's offensive repertoire as he has the ability to put up a fadeaway or blow past the defender.

Main difference between LBJ and Melo's game is Lebron's inconsistency from the perimeter. That's always been the only knock to lebron's game, but it really doesn't matter with him because no one can stop him from getting into the paint anyway.

Melo has the complete offensive repertoire aside from Kobe, who has every weapon in the book as well offensively. It doesn't surprise me one bit Kobe said this about Melo since melo is essentially a 6 "8 version of Kobe on the offensive end.

kdspurman
12-12-2012, 11:06 PM
I can see why, he's very gifted offensively but he's very physical too.

Bruce Bowen said the same thing about Melo a few years ago, so Kobe isn't the first guy to say it.

kdspurman
12-12-2012, 11:10 PM

I disagree to an extent because Lebron is guardable if you pack the paint and don't allow him to drive. If you keep him as jump shooter, you'll take that most nights. Melo, like you said has the tools and has a very good jump shot and a pretty good post game. (Which Lebron is starting to utilize more)

Lebron is more versatile I think because he can usually drive in and make the correct play whether it be passing out to the open guy, or finishing, he's a better play maker.

I think from a defenders point of view, Melo would be tougher to guard because as gifted as Lebron is, he does settle a lot and tends to bail out defenses in stretches.

Both guys are great though, and a nightmare to defend that's for sure. :)

krisxsong
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM

That's not that big of a statement.

When Durant, Westbrook, Rose, Kobe, Melo, Harden, LeBron, Wade, Howard, Bynum, etc are all "on", they are unguardable.

krisxsong
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I disagree to an extent because Lebron is guardable if you pack the paint and don't allow him to drive. If you keep him as jump shooter, you'll take that most nights[/B]. Melo, like you said has the tools and has a very good jump shot and a pretty good post game. (Which Lebron is starting to utilize more)

Lebron is more versatile I think because he can usually drive in and make the correct play whether it be passing out to the open guy, or finishing, he's a better play maker.

I think from a defenders point of view, Melo would be tougher to guard because as gifted as Lebron is, he does settle a lot and tends to bail out defenses in stretches.

That's like saying if you keep Michael Jordan 50 feet away from the hoop at all times he's guardable.

There's a reason LeBron is one of the best scorers in the NBA, and a very good reason nobody or team is able to stop him from doing so.

TeamSeattle
12-12-2012, 11:48 PM
A non-knick fan made this. Enough said.

PurpleJesus
12-12-2012, 11:52 PM
A non-knick fan made this. Enough said.

no, the OP is a huge Knick fan.

QueensG_718
12-12-2012, 11:55 PM
You heard from the great kobe himself therefore i dont care what the melo haters say...

PurpleJesus
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
You heard from the great kobe himself therefore i dont care what the melo haters say...

NYK fans need to get over themselves. Most people rated Melo based on his previous seasons, not this one. Clearly he is having a season right now that would put him in the top 5 players, and that is changing many peoples minds, myself included...but a lot of your fans are acting as if Melo has been playing this way for years...some fans here, are asking him to keep this up for a year, but even those guys are willing to admit that right now he is playing like a top player in the league.

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 12:11 AM

I also heard the great Shaq say Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum are better than Dwight Howard and everybody with a pair of eyes knows that's far from true.

I saw Michael Jordan try to construct a basketball team only to be one of the worst GMs in the NBA history.

Just because a player is great at the game doesn't mean his words are fact or that his decision making is the best.

Greet
12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Wish Dirk was healthy.....

More-Than-Most
12-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Has this ever been questioned???? We have known this for years... But his defense and overall game stop him from being a top 5-10 player

Also people were laughing when I picked him to win MVP this year.... Not sure its such a laughing matter anymore huh?

Durant/Bron are the better choices but Melo is on fire

kdspurman
That's like saying if you keep Michael Jordan 50 feet away from the hoop at all times he's guardable.

There's a reason LeBron is one of the best scorers in the NBA, and a very good reason nobody or team is able to stop him from doing so.

I'm not saying he's not tough to guard, or that he isn't a great scorer :confused:

My point is you want him shooting jump shots and he tends to bail out defenses at times. You didn't necessarily want Jordan to shoot cause he could do it all so well, he had so many moves to go to, you just try to make every shot tough for him. You saw it with Dallas when they played zone it forced him to take shots. You couldn't necessarily do that with Jordan.

That's all I was saying.

CostanzaNumba0

Now go.

What a douchey comment

bucketss
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Well the main difference between Durant and Melo is Melo's superior post game. If the Knicks need a basket, they know they can feed him in the post, and at that point, the opposing defender is at the mercy of Melo's offensive repertoire as he has the ability to put up a fadeaway or blow past the defender.

Main difference between LBJ and Melo's game is Lebron's inconsistency from the perimeter. That's always been the only knock to lebron's game, but it really doesn't matter with him because no one can stop him from getting into the paint anyway.

Melo has the complete offensive repertoire aside from Kobe, who has every weapon in the book as well offensively. It doesn't surprise me one bit Kobe said this about Melo since melo is essentially a 6 "8 version of Kobe on the offensive end.

melo is just as streaky/inconsistent from the perimeter as well but hey his shooting form looks better so he must be a wayy better shooter.

bootleg42
12-13-2012, 12:22 AM
I disagree to an extent because Lebron is guardable if you pack the paint and don't allow him to drive. If you keep him as jump shooter, you'll take that most nights. Melo, like you said has the tools and has a very good jump shot and a pretty good post game. (Which Lebron is starting to utilize more)

When it comes to scoring, Melo is better than Lebron ever was. It's true that if you pack the paint, you'll probably have LeBron beat.

But scoring isn't LeBron's game in its entirety. His game is being a complete player and making his teammates better. If you pack the paint, he'll make a great pass and get open shots for his teammates. If you cover those open teammates, he'll drive in and create havoc all night. LeBron's defense is also incredible, way better than Melo's. So everyone has to take all of this into context.

kdspurman
12-13-2012, 12:33 AM
When it comes to scoring, Melo is better than Lebron ever was. It's true that if you pack the paint, you'll probably have LeBron beat.

But scoring isn't LeBron's game in its entirety. His game is being a complete player and making his teammates better. If you pack the paint, he'll make a great pass and get open shots for his teammates. If you cover those open teammates, he'll drive in and create havoc all night. LeBron's defense is also incredible, way better than Melo's. So everyone has to take all of this into context.

Your first paragraph is exactly what I'm saying, and I mentioned him being a great passer already and able to do more. (decision making) I'm talking about guarding someone straight up which is what I thought this was about.

No one is saying Lebron isn't the best player in the league, but Melo is a tougher guy to defend.

And Lebron's defense doesn't have a place in this thread cause that's not what it's about.

ColtsSpursTerps
12-13-2012, 12:35 AM

wtf, you guys are really calling a guy a 'fail' because he misspelled 'too'. I thought PSD was past that. I'm guessing there's am good chance there's something I'm missing here. if so, sorry

Procision
12-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Best offensive players when healthy imo are 1. Dirk 2. Melo 3. Durant

Sadds The Gr8
12-13-2012, 01:05 AM
wtf, you guys are really calling a guy a 'fail' because he misspelled 'too'. I thought PSD was past that. I'm guessing there's am good chance there's something I'm missing here. if so, sorry
well he did insult the Knicks fans' intelligence, so he deserved to get nitpicked on his spelling there

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 01:40 AM
best offensive players when healthy imo are 1. Dirk 2. Melo 3. Durant

lololololollololololollololololollololololollololo lolollololololollololololollololololollolololololl ololololollololololollololololollololololollololol olollololololollololololollololololollololololollo lolololollololololollololololollololololollolololo lollololololollololololollololololollololololollol olololollololololollololololollololololollolololol ollololololollololololollololololollololololollolo lololollololololol

Knick_Fever
12-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Durant

Should I listen to Kobe... or you? hmmm......I dont know

Evolution23
12-13-2012, 02:22 AM

He has 100,000 posts which means he's an NBA expert. Nah actually it means he's a nerdy loser.

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 02:27 AM

I don't know what he said, but just because Kobe Bryant is an all-time great doesn't mean he's right.

Who are you gonna listen to, people on PSD or Shaq? Shaq? So you think Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum are the two best Centers in the NBA?

SirSkyHook
12-13-2012, 02:32 AM
The interview was so much more than this thread. As a lakers fan i loved it.

mizzacNYC
12-13-2012, 03:51 AM
NYK fans need to get over themselves. Most people rated Melo based on his previous seasons, not this one. Clearly he is having a season right now that would put him in the top 5 players, and that is changing many peoples minds, myself included...but a lot of your fans are acting as if Melo has been playing this way for years...some fans here, are asking him to keep this up for a year, but even those guys are willing to admit that right now he is playing like a top player in the league.

Melo has averaged 25+ PPG 7 seasons out of 10 and none under 20 PPG, yes he has been playing like this for years scoring wise... The difference this season so far is his effort on the defensive end and better shot selection.

As for justinnum1 I'm a 36 yr old Knick fan, most Knick fans that entertain your constant trolling are the younger 1's. And yes I remember when your Miami Heat were bereft of playoff victories against my "Old School" Knicks.

Now Melo's game... He is probably the best all around offensively, very few weaknesses. I think the only weaknesses Melo has in his game now are his lift and quickness off the dribble, however he still has a very elusive 1st step (almost a travel but the refs never catch it). Maybe its just him getting older or maybe its his weight, but he doesn't finish above the rim as much as he use to early in his career. Lebron on the other hand still jumps through the roof and is a poster waiting to happen. Lord knows what Lebron's game is gonna look like when he can no longer blow pass defenders and jump over everyone.

I still think Kobe is the most unguardable though, he's not as strong as melo on the block but he's pretty good in the post and he has a better handle than Melo. Durant's length and range puts him right in this argument (reining scoring champ so how could he not), he's a nightmare to guard. But still too weak to thrive in the post. Miami took him out of his game in the finals pushing him out deep and bullying him in the paint. Melo is almost "unbullyable" and will fight to get the ball despite physical D and double teams.

sharqstealth
12-13-2012, 04:11 AM

Of course you should listen to Kobe, a hall of famer, an NBA champ! Who's justinum1? A nerd heat bandwagon fan? What the hell does he know...:facepalm:

poleandreel
12-13-2012, 04:21 AM
Knicks fans have far surpassed Bulls fans circa 2010-2011 when DRose won MVP and the Bulls were the #1 seed.

In fact, the Knicks remind me of that Bulls team. One overrated superstar who will not be able to beat Miami and will shoot 25 shots per game at a very inefficient clip. A defensive center who is offensively challenged and a few solid role players. Overall, Miami is still better.

Lesson: STFU about the Knicks. Miami is still the favorite in the East.

Now back to this thread...

The answer is either Durant or Lebron. Lebron averaged 30 points per game and has won the scoring title when he was the only star on his team. Not to mention he was also averaging 8 assists while doing it. He is much better offensively than Carmelo.

Second, Durant is easily better than Anthony offensively. Better Mid range, better 3 pt shooter, better finisher, better passer, better face-up, better free throw shooter etc.

Currently, Durant takes 17 shots per game to Anthony's 20. Want to know what the point differential is? .4. POINT ****ING 4. If Durant took 3 more shots per game...he would average over 30.

Lets also not forget that Durant is MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient than Anthony. .465 to .508. Durant has a 64% true shooting percentage while Melo is at 58%.

19.7 to 11.1 ast% in favor of Durant
122 to 113 offensive rating in favor of Durant
4.8 win shares to 2.8 in favor of Durant (3.2 to 2.2 offensive)
12.9 to 10 rebound % in favor of Durant

Not to mention Durant has been far better in every single offensive and defensive category while sporting a usage rate of about 7% less.

28.6 to 34.2

Durant is more potent offensively. Better defensively. Better in every aspect of the game.

Case Closed.

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 04:28 AM
Knicks fans have far surpassed Bulls fans circa 2010-2011 when DRose won MVP and the Bulls were the #1 seed.

In fact, the Knicks remind me of that Bulls team. One overrated superstar who will not be able to beat Miami and will shoot 25 shots per game at a very inefficient clip. A defensive center who is offensively challenged and a few solid role players. Overall, Miami is still better.

The answer is either Durant or Lebron. Lebron averaged 30 points per game and has won the scoring title when he was the only star on his team. Not to mention he was also averaging 8 assists while doing it. He is much better offensively than Carmelo.

Second, Durant is easily better than Anthony offensively. Better Mid range, better 3 pt shooter, better finisher, better passer, better face-up, better free throw shooter etc.

Currently, Durant takes 17 shots per game to Anthony's 20. Want to know what the point differential is? .4. POINT ****ING 4. If Durant took 3 more shots per game...he would average over 30.

Lets also not forget that Durant is MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient than Anthony. .465 to .508. Durant has a 64% true shooting percentage while Melo is at 58%.

Not to mention Durant has been far better in every single offensive and defensive category while sporting a usage rate of about 7% less.

28.6 to 34.2

Durant is more potent offensively. Better defensively. Better in every aspect of the game.

Case Closed.

Derrick Rose was/is not overrated, Melo this season is not overrated.

You can argue Melo is a better scorer. It doesn't mean Melo is better offensively, it means he can score better than Durant can.

Durant takes higher% shots and doesn't force shots nearly as much as Melo, that doesn't mean Melo can't score like him.

poleandreel
12-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Derrick Rose was/is not overrated, Melo this season is not overrated.

You can argue Melo is a better scorer. It doesn't mean Melo is better offensively, it means he can score better than Durant can.

Durant takes higher% shots and doesn't force shots nearly as much as Melo, that doesn't mean Melo can't score like him.

Never said Melo couldn't score like him. I just said Durant is better. I live in NY and watch every Knicks game. However, I also have league pass and have watched every OKC game for the last 4 years since I was/am (w.e) a seattle fan (now OKC). Melo is great but the constant jabbering by knicks fans is making him overrated and soon, everyone on here will hate him and he will then be underrated.

I think it is a topic that has been talked about ad nauseum in these past 3 weeks. In all honesty, the reason the Knicks are winning is because of Kidd/Brewer/Chandler as well. Chandler is more valuable to that team than Carmelo is. (As we saw in Miami)

Anyway, my point is that Durant is the better scorer and Carmelo is tied with LBJ for the 2 spot.

Quietmoney
12-13-2012, 04:43 AM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

You just can't be that dumb... Melo is a pure beast and the most unguardable player in the league right now. It ain't even a close second as far as I'm concerned. Melo is demanding double teams every game now. There is no gambling with playing him straight up. LeBron get single covered as does Durant all the time especially when they are on the perimeter. If teams try and single cover Melo, he's going for 40 and that team is gonn lose because he's gonna not just score but dominate the game. Miami is not better than the Knicks even without Amare and Shumpert incorporated into the line up. The Heat don't have the players to guard the Knicks, that's why you've seen two 20 pt. blowouts. I think every game will be a blowout this year and forget about the one game the Knicks won against the Heat because the Heat will be lucky to win one against the Knicks with the way they play right now.

Quietmoney
12-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Never said Melo couldn't score like him. I just said Durant is better. I live in NY and watch every Knicks game. However, I also have league pass and have watched every OKC game for the last 4 years since I was/am (w.e) a seattle fan (now OKC). Melo is great but the constant jabbering by knicks fans is making him overrated and soon, everyone on here will hate him and he will then be underrated.

I think it is a topic that has been talked about ad nauseum in these past 3 weeks. In all honesty, the reason the Knicks are winning is because of Kidd/Brewer/Chandler as well. Chandler is more valuable to that team than Carmelo is. (As we saw in Miami)

Anyway, my point is that Durant is the better scorer and Carmelo is tied with LBJ for the 2 spot.

Durant is not the better scorer, I believe he gets easier baskets due to his athletic abilities that he has over Melo. But if you put those two in front of each other, Melo would just destroy Durant! It would be like taking candy from a baby. Melo is just too strong!

RonE Coleman
12-13-2012, 04:50 AM

Yeah you missed the part where justin mocked knick fans as a whole for apparently not knowing what the word "bereft" means while in the same sentence he couldn't spell "too"

poleandreel
12-13-2012, 04:51 AM
You just can't be that dumb... Melo is a pure beast and the most unguardable player in the league right now. It ain't even a close second as far as I'm concerned. Melo is demanding double teams every game now. There is no gambling with playing him straight up. LeBron get single covered as does Durant all the time especially when they are on the perimeter. If teams try and single cover Melo, he's going for 40 and that team is gonn lose because he's gonna not just score but dominate the game. Miami is not better than the Knicks even without Amare and Shumpert incorporated into the line up. The Heat don't have the players to guard the Knicks, that's why you've seen two 20 pt. blowouts. I think every game will be a blowout this year and forget about the one game the Knicks won against the Heat because the Heat will be lucky to win one against the Knicks with the way they play right now.

I am glad you rebutted my argument full of statistical evidence, plus first hand experience watching Melo (since I live in NY) with absolutely nothing but a grammatically poor paragraph full of opinionated nonsense.

When the Knicks end up as the 4th seed and lose in the first round again, and Durant wins MVP, I'll shoot you a message.

RonE Coleman
12-13-2012, 04:54 AM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

You just wrote an entire post that had nothing to do with the thread.... The word was "ungaurdable", Melo has the most COMPLETE scoring arsenal, nobody was talking about whose the better shooter or who rebounds or is a better playmaker.

Plus Kobe's opinion > yours.

poleandreel
12-13-2012, 04:59 AM
You just wrote an entire post that had nothing to do with the thread.... The word was "ungaurdable", Melo has the most COMPLETE scoring arsenal, nobody was talking about whose the better shooter or who rebounds or is a better playmaker.

Plus Kobe's opinion > yours.

yayy, another post filled with zero facts. Keep it coming Knicks fans - it is comical to me.

I guess we should also trust Kobe when he said that he believes D'antoni is the right coach for the job
Or how about when he said that team could win a championship?
Or how about when he said that the team has the pieces to run D'antoni's offense?
Or how about the time...YOU SEE MY POINT.

**** what kobe says. He couldn't even guard CJ Miles the other night when he dropped 28 on Kobe's head.

Not to mention Kobe only mentioned eastern conference players such as Pierce and Melo. Didn't bring up Durant because Durant is already the best player in the west with the best team. No need to give him more credit when he has already eliminated Kobe's bum *** in the playoffs.

RonE Coleman
12-13-2012, 05:02 AM
yayy, another post filled with zero facts. Keep it coming Knicks fans - it is comical to me.

I guess we should also trust Kobe when he said that he believes D'antoni is the right coach for the job
Or how about when he said that the team has the pieces to run D'antoni's offense?

**** what kobe says. He couldn't even guard CJ Miles the other night when he dropped 28 on Kobe's head.

Not to mention Kobe only mentioned eastern conference players such as Pierce and Melo. Didn't bring up Durant because Durant is already the best player in the west with the best team. No need to give him more credit when he has already eliminated Kobe's bum *** in the playoffs.

This post doesn't even deserve a response for how dumb it is.

But here goes.... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Knicks21
12-13-2012, 05:02 AM

Ok.

NYYCowboys
12-13-2012, 05:15 AM
I'd go with Lebron as most unguardable. Guy is a physical specimen. When his jumper's falling he's just about unguardable.

Losoway
12-13-2012, 06:05 AM
melo can do everything. watching him the other night LIVE at the barclay center was scary

mizzacNYC
12-13-2012, 06:24 AM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

1st of all, why all the hostility when talking about my Knicks, secondly are you calling Rose and Melo overrated??? Why b/c they lost to the Heat? Well with your frame of thinking I guess you'd have to throw Durant right in that overrated circle too b/c the Heat handed him his *** in the final as well...

While you're at it put an asterisk next to Durant's name in that list for the fact that he had another superstar (Westbrook) playing alongside him when he got his *** handed to him.

No one is saying Melo shoots better than Durant (although he's not that far behind), Durant is lights out no question, however right now Melo is shooting better from behind the arc so go check all those #'s again. And by the way saying if Durant takes 3 more shots doesn't automatically means he makes more shots either.

The thread is who Kobe feels is most unguardable to him. Melo can post up with the best of them, Durant is way too light in the *** to live on the block. Also keep in mind the advantages of having Westbrook on the court with him, both players demand alot of help defense you cant really send the whole team at 1 and leave the other alone. Melo hasn't really had that second dominate player to keep the double and triple teams off of him consistently.

Lebron's outside shooting has gotten a lot better, but I dont think he's as deadly as Melo from range, the scouting report on him is pack it in and make him beat you out there. And he has no real fluent moves with his back to the basket. Basically Lebron gets a head full of steam and explodes into the defense, not very dynamic at all but very effective for him nonetheless.

With all that said, and I'll say this again. I think Kobe is the most unguardable. Double team, triple team, rough physical D, inside, outside it doesn't matter he will kill you.

eso
12-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I also think he is, when on his game he is beautiful to watch, I will be showing tape of him to my son as of how to play basketball on the offensive end but then skip the parts where he is at the other end of the court while his team plays defense.

mizzacNYC
12-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I also think he is, when on his game he is beautiful to watch, I will be showing tape of him to my son as of how to play basketball on the offensive end but then skip the parts where he is at the other end of the court while his team plays defense.

LOL, yeah sometimes Melo looks like he got on cement shoes on D. But he has shown much better effort defensively this year. Mike Woodson got them balling right now...

eso
12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
LOL, yeah sometimes Melo looks like he got on cement shoes on D. But he has shown much better effort defensively this year. Mike Woodson got them balling right now...

Im glad to hear that, Im a die hard Lakers fan but have loved Melo since he came into the NBA.. will be watching his first game of this year tomorrow and will get back to you about his D.. might have to watch a few more Knicks games this year (damn it hurt to say that :) )

cant ask for more than effort....

knicksfan42
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
no, the OP is a huge Knick fan.

He's actually not.

LakersSaintsLSU
12-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Kobe keeping it real as usual...melo is a beast don't fool yourselves

thenaj17
12-13-2012, 08:26 AM

I don't understand where you are coming from. LeBron had 36% on 3's last year, Melo had 33%. Both career averages are 33% and both are 44% this year so far.

LeBron is the far better player overall especially now he's added to his post game.

BroadwayBullies
12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't understand where you are coming from. LeBron had 36% on 3's last year, Melo had 33%. Both career averages are 33% and both are 44% this year so far.

LeBron is the far better player overall especially now he's added to his post game.

The person you quoted was saying his perimeter game is inferior to Melo's, not his 3 point shot. You do know that a "perimeter game" is more than just a 3 point shot, it also consists of a midrange game. And Melo has one of the best midrange games in the league.

Carmelo has just been coming into his own as a 3 point shooter since he's been traded to the Knicks. Now he's considered a true 3 point threat for the team and is averaging over 40% behind the arc.

I agree that melo's perimeter game is better than lebron's offensively, but obviously lebron is the more unstoppable of the 2 (all he has to do is drive the ball in the lane and he'll either score, get fouled, or both.)

And the notion that he's not a good defensive player is just silly and misinformed. He's one of the best defenders for the Knicks and has the ability to guard both the wings and the big boys down in the paint. A very versatile defender, and very underrated at that end.

Jellybean is one of the greatest and most cerebral players to ever play the game. Some people might not agree with his opinion, but to me his opinion means a lot more than anyone's on PSD as far as what he thinks of the competition in the league.

dnewguy
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I will rather guard Melo than Durant or Rose.

BklynKnicks3
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
If u needed kobe bryant to tell u that u should watch a diff sport

He115ing
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Now go.

U mad bro?

TheNumber37
12-13-2012, 09:59 AM
melo is because Durant cant really post up. didn't you could be the most unguardable when you can only face in one direction to score.
Durant is a better shooter, that's pretty much it.

lamzoka
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Durant is a shooter, melo is a scoring maching. Rose doesn't even belong in this convo

SteBO
12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Durant is a shooter, melo is a scoring maching. Rose doesn't even belong in this convo
Derrick Rose at the peak of his powers definitely belongs in this conversation.....

bucketss
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM

yeah its because he can't even walk now lol

JLynn943
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
When he's on, maybe. But really, if any star is on, they're pretty much unguardable. Otherwise, Melo can be coaxed into taking a lot of bad shots. I'd probably put LeBron over him as far as being unguardable because you still have to worry about all the things you have to worry about with Melo (even if Melo is better at some of them, LeBron is still good at them) but you have to worry far more about him making plays for other players.

meloman1592
12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

I'd rather guard Wade

JLynn943
12-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd rather guard Wade

This is why the NBA forum sucks. There could be a thread about the material the net is made out of and it would still turn into a pissing contest between NY/Brooklyn/Miami/LA fans about whose star players are better.

SteBO
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I'd rather guard Wade
Be careful what you wish for.....

Money_23
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
i'd rather guard Kobe. Or be guarded by Kobe. lol

C_Mund
12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Better shooter, not a better all around scoring game.

Ill take Kobe's word over yours any day of the week.

Kobe said that FOR HIM Melo is the hardest player to guard. I'm sure that he's up there for pretty much everybody in the league but sometimes a guy just has your number.

Evolution23
12-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd rather guard Wade

It's easy to guard Wade. All you have to do is make him take jump shots. Give him wide open shots and he will throw up bricks all day.

SteBO
12-13-2012, 03:40 PM
^Somebody clearly hasn't watched Wade play this season....over 60% of his shots have come in the paint this year. Granted a small sample size, but still......

AIRMAR72
12-13-2012, 04:52 PM
in general ALL skill pivot player are hard to guard when they strong its even harder

RonE Coleman
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Lebron and Durant are better all around players but Melo has the best offensive arsenal in the NBA. Can score in any which way and has a much better post game than Durant.

Enzo
12-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Too young :facepalm: Excuse us Highlander. Exactly how old are you?

krisxsong
12-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I'd rather guard Wade

I'd rather guard Novak.

Hustla23
12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd rather guard Novak.
No you don't. Nobody want none of Novak.

b@llhog24
12-13-2012, 05:41 PM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

Melo having the higher usage is a + for him not necessarily a bad thing.

nickdymez
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Lebron and Durant are better all around players but Melo has the best offensive arsenal in the NBA. Can score in any which way and has a much better post game than Durant.

Lebron is just a better perimeter defender than Melo. Durant and Melo are pretty close. Id give Durant the edge with Basketball IQ and unselfishness.

bucketss
12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Lebron is just a better perimeter defender than Melo. Durant and Melo are pretty close. Id give Durant the edge with Basketball IQ and unselfishness.

:facepalm: