PDA

View Full Version : Do NBA fans have the least loyalty to players...

iam brett favre
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Out of all major sports? It's crazy how many trade threads I see a day, desperately wanting someone new.
How about teams try to win with the players they have?
It makes no sense to me at all.

Guppyfighter
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Out of all major sports? It's crazy how many trade threads I see a day, desperately wanting someone new.

I'd say the opposite. This is one of the only sports where players like Lebron James causes a massive shift in fan bases. I know tons of Heat fans and I am in ****ing Northern California.

nickdymez
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
depends on the fanbase I guess. Some fans with hystorically bad teams tend to have more loyalty to players, while fans of hystorically great teams tend to have more loyalty to the team itself.

nickdymez
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I'd say the opposite. This is one of the only sports where players like Lebron James causes a massive shift in fan bases. I know tons of Heat fans and I am in ****ing Northern California.

Exactly. Thats why some people couldnt believe that some Lakers fans were'nt overly excited about Lebron coming to the Lakers possibly. Lebron isnt bigger than the team and it seems like he is to other teams.

iam brett favre
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Good point guys, but the point I'm trying to make is...it seems like whenever things are going bad (example - Lakers right now) everyone is so ready to abandon ship on someone like Pau Gasol and just dump him. Forgetting how great he's been.

mightybosstone
12-12-2012, 05:36 PM

I would argue the opposite actually. Because we can clearly see the player's faces, there are fewer players on every roster and because there are more NBA games than in most sports, I think fans feel more comfortable and feel like they know NBA players more than NFL, MLB or other team sports' athletes.

For example, I am a fan of three very mediocre current franchises (Rockets, Astros, Titans). I couldn't give a crap about any player on the Titans or Astros team for the most part. I had a hard time seeing Berkman and Oswalt dealt, but I hardly minded when Bourne and Pence were gone. But even guys who have only been on the roster a few years (Scola, Battier, Dragic) have been tough for me to watch leave.

I consider myself a good, but reasonable fan, and I have no problem with my teams making moves it makes sense for the future of the franchises. But I easily have the hardest time watching Rockets players go than I do with the other two sports.

mightybosstone
12-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Good point guys, but the point I'm trying to make is...it seems like whenever things are going bad (example - Lakers right now) everyone is so ready to abandon ship on someone like Pau Gasol and just dump him. Forgetting how great he's been.

That has more to do with LA fans than with NBA fans in general. Lakers fans are incredibly spoiled from years of getting their way, and when they don't get their way, they pout and look for someone to blame.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I root for the front of the jersey.

I can support the back of the jersey if their not a Knick

But its all about the front of the jersey.

iam brett favre
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
That has more to do with LA fans than with NBA fans in general. Lakers fans are incredibly spoiled from years of getting their way, and when they don't get their way, they pout and look for someone to blame.

Yeah its very possible that I am generalizing and stereotyping NBA fans based off Lakers and Knicks fans too much.
Spoiled is a great word, its been driving me crazy this season.

Hellcrooner
12-12-2012, 05:44 PM

the gasol thing is most abut KObe fans that didnt digest that their hero needed gasol to win ( and that some people actually think he was deserving of the mvp in the finals) and how much that hurts their stupid expectative sof kobe being considered goat.

They are using gasol decline as an oportunity to put all their condensed wrath and impotence on him.

Oh, and btw, they are still singing the same tune after the 1-5 without pau. :D

GunFactor187
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
It's cuz the NBA is such a star driven league, once one player declines we crave for the next hot commodity.

Monta is beast
12-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd say it's a love hate type of thing. On one hand if a fan base wants a guy gone, everyone knows about it. But on the other hand if a fan base is loyal to a player (i.e Ellis) you'll know about it as well.

Hawkeye15
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
trades are a much bigger part of the sport in the NBA, versus the other professional sports. In the NFL, you rarely even see trades. So, as fans, we have come to expect that there will be anywhere from a 10-80% turnover every year, player wise, on your favorite team.

abe_froman
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
its the opposite.most nba fans i've ever seen/heard of have been fans of players and will change team loyalties depending how that player is being treated by a team or if that player changes teams

abe_froman
12-12-2012, 05:54 PM

thats because not only has he been in decline,but he doesnt fit in the coach's system.being a fan of a team doesnt mean undying loyalty to a player if he's great or not.if you want to know about laker fans loyalty to players than bring up kobe

Hellcrooner
12-12-2012, 05:56 PM
thats because not only has he been in decline,but he doesnt fit in the coach's system.being a fan of a team doesnt mean undying loyalty to a player if he's great or not.if you want to know about laker fans loyalty to players than bring up kobe

When ( and im telling WHEN not if) Kobe goes ring chasing in two years somwhere else, you will realize those are not LAKER fans but kobe fans.

nickdymez
12-12-2012, 05:56 PM

LA fans just are used to winning and none of us want to sit around and wait for Pau to grow a pair of balls. I dont think anyone forgets what Pau brought to the team, i just think that people are wanting him to get with the program or get out. If Pau was playing well like he has, he would not be getting this much flack. again, Lakers fans care more about the franchise than indivisual players. Kobe is the only guy who gets a pass from a majority of Lakers fans because he puts his heart and soul into every game and seems like he would die before losing. Fans of other players arent used to that so they cant relate.

nickdymez
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
When ( and im telling WHEN not if) Kobe goes ring chasing in two years somwhere else, you will realize those are not LAKER fans but kobe fans.

Arent ring chasers usually the ones with no rings who joins a team he thinks can easily win a ring?

Hellcrooner
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Arent ring chasers usually the ones with no rings who joins a team he thinks can easily win a ring?

it applies too if you are trying to go over other players number of rings,,,,

Bishnoff
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

I agree. Football (soccer) is a sport where fan's team loyalty well and truly trumps player loyalty.

JEDean89
12-12-2012, 06:30 PM
do you have any idea how many players us knicks fans have had to go through over the last 5 years? pretty much since dantoni came, every year featured a massive overhaul. Dantoni coached around 40 players in NY, and there are only a handful of players that are still here from when he coached and it's melo, chandler, amare and shumps. Amare is, in fact, the longest tenured knick, melo is the second longest. i think some players carry a loyal fanbase, guys like rasheed wallace, t-mac, iverson and vince carter have all been nba journeymen but you still hear there names a lot. still, with the exception of some rather awful franchises, i don't think there is any player that is like more than the team he plays for.