PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Rankings: Hindsight

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Ok... I think we all know that some fans of a certain metropolitan area were upset that their underchieving 'franchise' player recieved a low ranking from ESPN at the end of last season, and while this particular player has turned things around this year, he is not the only player who ESPN had undervalued.

So with that said, for those of you who have gone through the ESPN rankings... what player do you is the biggest victim of the ESPN ranking system.

I'm going to go with Anderson-V:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7034121/nba-player-rankings-81-90

I mean... the guy was ranked 85th? Bargnani and Thad Young were ranked higher... and Holiday, who is playing very well this year, but Anderson-V was among the league leaders in rebounds.

Anderson-V is now leading the league in rebounds, while dropping in close to 15 points a game and handing out 3+ assists a game... pretty good for a center. I would certainly put Anderson-V at least around 15 right now, meaning he was about 70 places further back than he should have been... Melo was only out about 10 places from where he should be ;-) I mean, Anderson-V barely got ranked ahead of Kaman and Butler? Seriously? I know he missed some time last year, but so did Horford who still ranked in the top 30, despite NOT being among league leaders in rebounds as Anderson-V was last year and only playing 11 games to Anderson-V's 25.

Who do you think ESPN missed the boat on?
Who you got?

PurpleJesus
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Melo is the only one that matters.

bholly
12-12-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm going to go with Anderson-V:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7034121/nba-player-rankings-81-90

I mean... the guy was ranked 85th? Bargnani and Thad Young were ranked higher... and Holiday, who is playing very well this year, but I mean, last year he was just coming off the bench while Anderson-V was among the league leaders in rebounds.

Um, what? Jrue's been starting since November 2009.

Deception
12-12-2012, 02:09 AM
He's actually ranked 74th.. You're looking at old rankings.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8372936/2012-nba-player-rankings-71-80

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Um, what? Jrue's been starting since November 2009.

My bad... I thought Lou-Will was starting... you are correct sir.

dhopisthename
12-12-2012, 02:50 AM
andy v's production has never been in question but he is always getting hurt. he played 56 the 2 years prior

sixer04fan
12-12-2012, 09:06 AM
It's not like those rankings were meant to be predictions. It was a consensus of where those players were ranked in the NBA at that time. Some players have improved since then to exceed their rank. It's expected.

ManRam
12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't think Melo was a "victim" of anything. I think the ranking at the time was relatively fair (meaning no worse than some of the others). He's playing MUCH better now, and certainly is a better player. They weren't predictions, they were based on recent play. If they did a new round today I'm sure Melo would be much higher.