PDA

View Full Version : Washington Wizards said to have turned down trade for James Harden

spreadeagle
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
The Washington Wizards turned down a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for James Harden this summer because team owner Ted Leonsis was unwilling to commit to what would have been a roughly $80 million, five-year contract for the high-scoring player, according to multiple people with knowledge of the proposed deal.

The Wizards would have sent rookie guard Bradley Beal and second-year forward Chris Singleton to the Thunder in return for Harden, winner of the NBA’s sixth-man award with Oklahoma City last season, according to these individuals, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the proposal.

A person with knowledge of Oklahoma City’s interest in Beal said the Wizards’ decision to hold on to Beal made sense because teams are often willing to trade draft picks but are more inclined to keep players once they’ve been selected.

The Wizards, who before the trade proposal came up had acquired three expensive veteran players, also likely would have been subject to an NBA luxury tax penalty for having a total payroll over the prescribed threshold if they had signed Harden.

Considering how poorly this season has begun for the Wizards, who had an NBA-worst 2-15 record entering Tuesday’s game in New Orleans, and the general lack of excitement surrounding a team, dealing for Harden might have been worth the risk in the short term.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-said-to-have-turned-down-trade-for-james-harden/2012/12/11/d2e4dbb4-43c2-11e2-8e70-e1993528222d_story.html

HouRealCoach
12-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't believe this... No GM can be that dumb

rocket
12-11-2012, 11:14 PM
:laugh: No ****ing way Bradley Beal and Chris Singleton?

HAHAHAHAH

richiesaurus310
12-11-2012, 11:15 PM
John wall and james harden would have been siiiiick

LTBaByyy
12-11-2012, 11:16 PM
The Wizards would be in salary cap hell for years to come after already committing to other players

I also think Harden would have took away from Wall big time

Beal is more of a Shooter and that's what the Wizards need no matter how good Harden is

Harden is a playmaker and ball handler

97NYer
12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Hahahahaha

topdog
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Old rumor. Doesn't sound like it's been verified any more than at the time, but I would turn it down too if I'm Washington. That's not saying that Beal will be better, but his contract and playing style better fit with Wall.

It also says something that OKC wanted Beal that badly.

I Rock Shaqs
12-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Might seem crazy when you first look @ it but the only way I would do it is if OKC took on maybe Emeka's contract or Ariza's as well.

ManRam
12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey, if I'm a Wizards fan I take some solace in knowing that OKC thinks so highly of Beal.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll be a star. If he can regain his shooting form that almost every scout thought he had in HS, the sky's the limit. He can be a plus rebounder, defender and maybe passer at his position.

But still. I don't get how Washington turns that down. If you're scared of the luxury tax so much, to the point where you're making bad personnel decisions, sell your ****ing team.

topdog
12-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey, if I'm a Wizards fan I take some solace in knowing that OKC thinks so highly of Beal.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll be a star. If he can regain his shooting form that almost every scout thought he had in HS, the sky's the limit. He can be a plus rebounder, defender and maybe passer at his position.

But still. I don't get how Washington turns that down. If you're scared of the luxury tax so much, to the point where you're making bad personnel decisions, sell your ****ing team.

I really wonder how many people have actually watched a whole Wizards game this year (it's painful I know).

His shots aren't off by much and he is settling for too many long jumpers especially since he finishes well around the rim. He also is a fairly good ballhandler and a nice passer (but the worst shooting team in the league misses a lot of open looks). Not to mention that he plays next to a world class chucker.

ManRam
12-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I really wonder how many people have actually watched a whole Wizards game this year (it's painful I know).

His shots aren't off by much and he is settling for too many long jumpers especially since he finishes well around the rim. He also is a fairly good ballhandler and a nice passer (but the worst shooting team in the league misses a lot of open looks). Not to mention that he plays next to a world class chucker.

For a guy that was dubbed as the next Ray Allen, and who didn't shoot well at Florida, he was sensational there during his rookie year (I'm a huge Gator fan). He's got a complete game, and the shot will come. He's very young, playing on a really poor team with people who don't play great team ball...it's gonna take time. But I think he's got star potential...and it looks like OKC felt the same way too.

NoahH
12-12-2012, 02:17 AM
:O well i guess Harden would have hindered Wall's development?

Chronz
12-12-2012, 02:21 AM
lmfao

Officially one of the worst run teams in the league. Along with Orlando, Phx and Charlotte

shep33
12-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Why? They already have Jan Vesely

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2012, 02:25 AM
lmfao

Officially one of the worst run teams in the league. Along with Orlando, Phx and Charlotte

Hey.... I think there are a lot of Sac-town fans who would be upset you left the Maloofs off that list ;-)

I know I for one am upset you left Toronto off the list...

Overall though, it was better of OKC.... Martin fits in so well with their roster, plus they got Lamb and two first rounders.

I can understand Washington not wanting to pay out that big contract though....

AddiX
12-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Singleton on okc would be beast.

Mr_Amaziing
12-12-2012, 02:50 AM
John Wall and James Harden would be a Sick duo

Bruno
12-12-2012, 04:08 AM
wall/harden would be an explosive backcourt if they could get chemistry.