PDA

View Full Version : More Valuable, ability to draw double teams or individual efficiency?

Chronz
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Random thought, I need assistance thinking this one through. Whats more valuable, giving the ball to a player and knowing teams still have to gameplan for him, or having a player who doesn't draw doubles but gets you a consistent 20-10 or whatever.

Think of a young Shawn Marion or even Amare vs 2006 Finals Shaq or something.

PSD

Assemble!

Alayla
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
The doubles assuming the player can pass out of them

b@llhog24
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Individual efficiency.

amos1er
12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Random thought, I need assistance thinking this one through. Whats more valuable, giving the ball to a player and knowing teams still have to gameplan for him, or having a player who doesn't draw doubles but gets you a consistent 20-10 or whatever.

Think of a young Shawn Marion or even Amare vs 2006 Finals Shaq or something.

PSD

Assemble!

It depends on the situation. If you are losing a lot of a star players production as a result, then it might not be too advantageous. If your star player is still able to make an impact and draw double and triple teams, than I'd say it's worth overlooking their statistical performance. In the end, it all come down the teams overall success. Did they underachieve or overachieve as a result. Also, can one directly correlate the fact that a given star players ability to draw double teams did in fact result in the teams overall success.

Andrew32
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Not sure.

Drawing double and triple teams puts the opposing teams defense off balance.

More-so if said player is operating in the post.
I don't think perimeter double/triple teams have the same value normally because its easier to recover from them.

It also helps prevent opposing defenses from pressuring and double/triple teaming other offensive players on said players team.

However the overall passing skill of the player can effect heavily how valuable that ability is.

It is probably easier to put a flat value on individual production and much harder to put a solid value on the other thing.
It's value is also obviously effected greatly by the players supporting cast.

I definitely think it holds significant value though especially for certain players who really have the skills to take full advantage of it (Shaq/Duncan/KG) for example.

Chronz
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
The doubles assuming the player can pass out of them

Good point, Eddy Curry used to draw doubles but sucked at passing

Bravo95
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Leaning towards efficiency. Joe Johnson used to draw doubles all the time, and could pass out of them (Hawks had shooters), and it didn't mean much. Maybe another story if he could consistently beat his defender off the dribble.

seikou8
12-11-2012, 11:51 PM
individual efficiency

Hustla23
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I think it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're just starting to build a team and you're choosing between the two, then the guy who can draw double teams gives you a tremendous advantage in that the court naturally opens up for every other person on the court thereby improving overall team efficiency.

If you already have a player who can create his own shot and is a legitimate #1 option, then you would want role players who can score extremely efficiently. A player who can technically draw double teams but is less efficient would be redundant as you don't normally double two players at once.

Hawkeye15
12-12-2012, 01:40 AM
easily individual efficiency, since we don't know if player A can actually take advantage of being double teamed.

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2012, 01:45 AM
It really depends on the player's ability to pass out of the double team. Like Diwght, let's say he requires a double team... oh well... you're phuqed... he'll turn it over. Shaq and Duncan though, they could pass out of the double-team, so I would say it's more valuable to have them then say a guy who creates for himself and shoots the ball well, because, especially for Duncan and Shaq in their prime... teams always had two guy practically on them regardless of if they had the ball or not, so it really helped spread the floor, and when the guys fell on them, they could both pass out of the double-team.

If the guy can't pass, then it's useless to have him double teamed....

But so long as they can pass, I'd say the guy who draws the double team... I think most would agree to draft Duncan and Shaq over Kobe or Melo.

RonE Coleman
12-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Depends on the makeup of the team but individual for me.

If your getting double teamed its probably because the guy leaving his man knows he can't hit that shot.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Need more information.

How are the shooters around the guy being doubled and tripled? Are they reliable?

Does the guy have the ability to pass out of it if he's being doubled?

RonE Coleman
12-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Need more information.

How are the shooters around the guy being doubled and tripled? Are they reliable?

This... For instance, Id rather Melo or Durant shooting double or triple teamed then having Reggie Evans or someone like that take a 18 footer.

Chronz
12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
easily individual efficiency, since we don't know if player A can actually take advantage of being double teamed.

For the sake of the argument assume he can

Chronz
12-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Need more information.

Say yes, he has shooters. I dont think its that much of difference but lets say he does.