PDA

View Full Version : Why is DeMarcus Cousins' FG% so bad?

LongWayFromHome
12-11-2012, 02:35 AM
I don't get a chance to watch him. He puts up nice numbers but his FG% is so bad.

Can somebody who sees him play often give some analysis?

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Because he's overrated. Falls in love with his midrange game.

LongWayFromHome
12-11-2012, 02:50 AM
I've been looking at some breakdowns of his shot attempts. Even his "at the rim" FG% is one of the lowest amongst big men.

The number 1 thing that sticks out to me is that he has one of the lowest assist percentages on his shot attempts no matter where he shoots from = chucker.

PurpleJesus
12-11-2012, 02:56 AM
He settles for mid to long range jumpers. With his size, and build, he should be one of those super efficient back to the board centers that scores over 18 points a game on 55% shooting.

He can also hit those jumpers, but he needs to learn to use it to set up his low post game, not use it as his main offensive tool.

FeltonYaMotha
12-11-2012, 03:11 AM
I don't get a chance to watch him. He puts up nice numbers but his FG% is so bad.

Can somebody who sees him play often give some analysis?

First of all he lacks discipline. As a Knicks fan he kind of reminds me of A'mare in the sense that he was "the man" on his team for so long before he came to the NBA that he was never able to develop that teamwork mentality. But what really screws his FG% is the fact that he's obsessed with developing a mid-range game. He sits around the key more than any center in the league. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Kings are the bottom feeders of the West. If he was on a team that was competitive he wouldn't take so many stupid shots. While he does have a nice mid-range jumper for a player of his size, his FG% (and the Kings record) would be a lot better if he just lived in the paint.

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 03:29 AM
He takes some awkward shots close to the rim rather than powering his way up for an easier shot, and a lot of times once the guards have dribbled around and done nothing for the whole shot clock he gets passed the ball with little time left and is forced to take a bad shot. I don't think his mid-range jumpers are a real problem though. I don't have the stats for them, but he seems pretty proficient at them and also seems to take them more when Thompson is on the court and playing around the rim - when it calls for it a bit more.

He's also inexplicably bad a tip ins though. He'll usually eventually score on them but it may take 2 or 3 attempts.

He's just got to get more consistent. He'll make some incredible moves on one play but take a bad shot on the next. I wish he'd be more comfortable playing above the rim and dunking instead of taking unnecessary difficult shots from beneath as much as he does. He's got to be one of if not the most blocked center the past year or two.

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:31 AM
He is also ridiculously immature and uncoachable. He reminds me of a big man version of Marbury.

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 03:32 AM
I've been looking at some breakdowns of his shot attempts. Even his "at the rim" FG% is one of the lowest amongst big men.

The number 1 thing that sticks out to me is that he has one of the lowest assist percentages on his shot attempts no matter where he shoots from = chucker.

We have a lot of ball-dominating guards and don't run a lot of set plays. His low assist percentages are probably just a function of the team getting very few assists to begin with. We just had our first player with double digit assists since last March on Saturday (and it was John Salmons, so not even a PG...).

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:34 AM
O.J. Mayo gets struck in groin by DeMarcus Cousins: 'That guy has mental issues'

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20121210-o.j.-mayo-after-getting-struck-in-groin-by-demarcus-cousins-man-that-guy-has-mental-issues.ece

smh

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 03:36 AM
O.J. Mayo gets struck in groin by DeMarcus Cousins: 'That guy has mental issues'

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20121210-o.j.-mayo-after-getting-struck-in-groin-by-demarcus-cousins-man-that-guy-has-mental-issues.ece

smh

And this is relevant to his FG% how?

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:41 AM

It's relevant to him having mental issues which prevents him from having a high FG%

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 03:44 AM
It's relevant to him having mental issues which prevents him from having a high FG%

hardly, but whatever.

DreamShaker
12-11-2012, 03:52 AM
I honestly cringe at his shot selection. Whoever said he lacks discipline, well stated. He has tremendous size, agility, and talent. He might thrive with a change of scenery.

albertajaysfan
12-11-2012, 05:04 AM
He is the back up C to Dwight on the NBA All-Immaturity Team.

Based on everything beyond the mental aspect of the game I feel he should dominate. Yet he obviously does not because of that one integral part.

JayW_1023
12-11-2012, 05:17 AM
He is a C that wants to be a guard. He dribbles into crowds, takes shots outside his range. Stay on the block kid.

He's a ticking time bomb too.

Alayla
12-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Its a function of a crap team combined with poor shot selection.

tredigs
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Because he is a complete idiot and that manifests itself in many ways. One of them being an ultra talented big with all the size/strength/skills in the world who still can't hit at even a 44% clip despite not being a 3pt shooter. See: Last night:

http://nba.si.com/2012/12/11/mayo-accuses-cousins-of-mental-issues-after-below-the-belt-shot/

'Mayo aired his frustrations with Cousins after Cousins shoved Mayo and then punched him below the belt while the two were jockeying for position on a Mavericks possession:'

“That guy has mental issues, man,” Mayo said. “He’s a talented player, but he has the opportunity to be the face of that franchise, but I don’t think he wants it.

“He’s immature, man. Big maturity problem,” Mayo continued. “Hopefully he’ll grow up out of it and become great. He definitely has the talent to.”

Also see: His career. Him and Artest should team up and start some new age mini IQ version of the bad boys.

yaswaggin
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
He's McGee 2.0 in terms of IQ

NokomisLiving
12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
He is a C that wants to be a guard. He dribbles into crowds, takes shots outside his range. Stay on the block kid.

He's a ticking time bomb too.

This is what I saw when he played the Wolves last. He actually shot well that game, but he refused to go in the post with Pekovic. He tried to take him off the dribble in ISO situations and draw him out on those jumpers.

I would think that would be a big problem for your center, no taking up space or rebounding misses and battling inside. I also think it may have to do with match ups, Pek is just one of those guys he usually doesn't play well against so maybe its his mentality going into certain games when he knows who he is matched up with.

LongWayFromHome
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
This is what I saw when he played the Wolves last. He actually shot well that game, but he refused to go in the post with Pekovic. He tried to take him off the dribble in ISO situations and draw him out on those jumpers.

I would think that would be a big problem for your center, no taking up space or rebounding misses and battling inside. I also think it may have to do with match ups, Pek is just one of those guys he usually doesn't play well against so maybe its his mentality going into certain games when he knows who he is matched up with.

He actually is one of the better offensive rebounder in the game. Which is pretty impressive considering what many of you are saying about him mostly playing away from the basket.

sep11ie
12-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Have you ever tried to shoot a basketball with Mayo all over your hand?

Wisdom Listens
12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
"Why is DeMarcus Cousins' FG% so bad?"

Becasue he is missing more shots than he would if his FG% were good.

PrettyBoyJ
12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
His shot selection.. If he went down low more often it would be higher

Deception
12-11-2012, 03:51 PM
"Why is DeMarcus Cousins' FG% so bad?"

Becasue he is missing more shots than he would if his FG% were good.

Can people stop trying to be Douglas? Including Douglas.

Wisdom Listens
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Can people stop trying to be Douglas? Including Douglas.

Who is this Douglas you speak of? I would venture to say he is trying to be like me, and if so I expect royalties.

RipCity32
12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
He thinks hes a SG.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
he is the Kings bail out guy, meaning he has to force 3-4 stupid shots a game at the end of the clock. He tries to be too finesse around the rim at times, instead of overpowering players. He shoots way too many 17 footers. And if you ever watch the Kings, Cousins misses so many easy chips and tip ins at the rim, even though many times he eventually knocks them in.

He would thrive under a coach who could control him, and with perimeter players who could get him easy looks, versus the perimeter players the Kings have now, who dribble the air out of the ball.

JasonJohnHorn
12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I think part of the reason is that he misses more shots than he hits. That's always going to kill your FG%. If he didn't take those shots that he missed, hiw FG% would be like 100%.

b@llhog24
12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Because he takes bad shots from the field.

BKdoubleStacker
12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
he needs a change of scenery (tough coach + older veteran team)

Rockice_8
12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Cause he's not that good and neither is his team. One of the most overrated players in the league. I've seen him put in the top 5 center rankings when in reality he's not even top 10.

Sactown
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Because he sucks, wouldn't start on any other team in the league.. Kings should waive him.

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 04:51 PM
he is the Kings bail out guy, meaning he has to force 3-4 stupid shots a game at the end of the clock. He tries to be too finesse around the rim at times, instead of overpowering players. He shoots way too many 17 footers. And if you ever watch the Kings, Cousins misses so many easy chips and tip ins at the rim, even though many times he eventually knocks them in.

He would thrive under a coach who could control him, and with perimeter players who could get him easy looks, versus the perimeter players the Kings have now, who dribble the air out of the ball.

finally someone else who understands his (and the team's) problems and isn't just talking about his character issues when explaining his FG% :clap:

Infamous916
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
As a Kings fan, Cousins forces too many shots on the perimeter & isn't very patient in the post.

GunFactor187
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
So basically he's a bigger version of Austin Daye? Lol. But no seriously, maybe ship him off to the Spurs perhaps? Coach Pops could definitely whip him up to shape.

JLynn943
12-11-2012, 04:59 PM
So basically he's a bigger version of Austin Daye? Lol. But no seriously, maybe ship him off to the Spurs perhaps? Coach Pops could definitely whip him up to shape.

I'm hoping we just hire a coach that's more disciplined. Pretty much the whole team needs it.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
finally someone else who understands his (and the team's) problems and isn't just talking about his character issues when explaining his FG% :clap:

honestly, I can't imagine a much worse team structure/scenario for him. A team in flux, thinking of moving, a coaching problem, and players that don't fit his strengths. I know he lacks maturity, but going into that situation, versus a system that demands respect, has something to do with it as well. I don't think Cousins would have had the lingering maturity issues had he played for Poppovich, Adelman, Karl, or a number of other coaches that demand respect and have veterans around to teach Cousins.