PDA

View Full Version : The HEAT will break up big-3:Yahoo

Dade County
12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Are the Miami Heat ‘going to have to break up their team’ in 2014 due to salary concerns?

"As a repeat taxpayer, the Heat will be facing the highest incremental tax rates in NBA history. If, for example, the luxury-tax threshold is established at $75 million -- a highly optimistic gain of roughly $5 million from this season -- the Heat could be faced with a tax bill approaching $48 million. In total, they would be paying $141.3 million for 12 players."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/miami-heat-going-break-team-2014-due-salary-213121115--nba.html

seikou8
12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
oh ****

Max.This
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM
i put this in the heat forum but i guess it got deleted so it could be on a ... general nba forum thread. Good call

ThunderousDemon
12-11-2012, 01:54 AM
llullz ^

camador22
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM
The big 3 all have player options so it's not like the Heat can just break it up without a trade. Don't forget Miller will likely get the amnesty next season which should save Miami a ton of luxury tax

ThunderousDemon
12-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I guess Bosh is done for.

SwatTeam
12-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Lebron is the #1 option so he deserves the max; Wade might need to take a pay cut as he is beginning to age and isn't worth the max at 33 (he's already taken pay cuts); Bosh is the trickier one. I can see Miami giving Bosh the max to keep him and Lebron taking a paycut because he gets most of his money from endorsements anyways.

Honestly, I don't know whats going to happen, but its clear Lebron is and should be the Miami Heats #1 option to retain. Fill in the rest afterwards. Big factor is also if Riley is still around at that time to be GM (he'll be near 70 years of age and he's sold all his properties in Miami and is building a huge mansion in malibu - retirement is near?). It also depends on how many championships they have at the time. If its only 1, then expect an exodus.

This article is premature. Lots of time left until then. So many factors. So much time. We should be worried about the fiscal cliff and the Mayan Apocalypse.

LongWayFromHome
12-11-2012, 02:20 AM
i put this in the heat forum but i guess it got deleted so it could be on a ... general nba forum thread. Good call

Best post ever.

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 02:34 AM
As a repeat taxpayer, the Heat will be facing the highest incremental tax rates in NBA history. If, for example, the luxury-tax threshold is established at $75 million -- a highly optimistic gain of roughly $5 million from this season -- the Heat could be faced with a tax bill approaching $48 million. In total, they would be paying $141.3 million for 12 players.
"They're going to have to break up their team,'' predicted a rival general manager who has done the math.
Unless the NBA's financial circumstances improve over the next couple of years, Arison will be faced with two unhappy choices: The Heat could run a big deficit in 2014-15 to pursue the championship, or he could break up their winning roster by way of trades, amnesty or by not re-signing James, Wade or Bosh, should they exercise their options to become free agents in 2014.
If league revenues were to jump higher than expected over the next two years, the tax threshold would be raised accordingly and Arison might be able to find a way to escape with his team intact. But the NBA's TV contracts with ESPN/ABC and TNT don't expire until 2016, and league executives don't foresee major financial gains rescuing the NBA before the repeater tax takes effect.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/miami-heat-going-break-team-2014-due-salary-213121115--nba.html

I think Bosh could be the odd man out. Dont see them moving Wade after all he's done.

Leftcoast_yg
12-11-2012, 02:41 AM
Wooord!!....Bosh and Gasol in 3 team trade speculation coming in 3 2 1

jmoney85
12-11-2012, 02:46 AM
already a thread

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Bosh to Minnesota, HOU, DEN all make sense

Something like

Bosh/Chalmers

for
Lawson/Faried

nyyfan4life
12-11-2012, 02:52 AM

Something like

Bosh/Chalmers

for
Lawson/Faried

I don't really see the Nuggets doing that.

PurpleJesus
12-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Not 1, not 2, not 3.

Really though, the rumors of Lebron going to NY are going to be huge next year.

Will 2 BE
12-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Not 1, not 2, not 3.

That would be all media hype, I don't see him choosing one off the NY teams, and to make room for him the Knicks and Nets would have to find someone to take Amare or Joe Johnsons contract.

Besides that I don't think anyone wants to go through a Decision 2.0

PurpleJesus
12-11-2012, 03:14 AM
That would be all media hype, I don't see him choosing one off the NY teams, and to make room for him the Knicks and Nets would have to find someone to take Amare or Joe Johnsons contract.

Or PSD hype...whenever there is a top notch free agent available, or a top notch guy rumored to be wanting to be traded, Knick fans here, or at least a high percentage of them, always feel as if that player will go to NYK.

shep33
12-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Arison is one of the richest men in the world. Don't think this will affect him

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Not 1, not 2, not 3.

Miami isn't trading him to either of those teams.

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:17 AM
edit

PurpleJesus
12-11-2012, 03:18 AM
Miami isn't trading him to either of those teams.

i know, but he can opt to be a free agent at the end of next season, and we all know, that when top free agents hit the market, they are always rumored to go to NYK.

DumDum
12-11-2012, 03:22 AM
bosh to the raps

shep33
12-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Isnt' Arison the richest man in Florida? Forbes has him at a net worth of 5 billion

shep33
12-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Anyways... easy fix.

Lebron traded for Dion Waiters and Anderson Varajao

Bosh for Bargs

Problem solved... Actually Cleveland would be pretty good with Kyrie and Lebron

PurpleJesus
12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Isnt' Arison the richest man in Florida? Forbes has him at a net worth of 5 billion

I think he must have gotten rich by not losing money. He probably has the luxury of losing money for his pleasure, or entertainment, but after a couple of years of losing tens o million dollars, he may want to turn that around...tens of millions of dollars is still tens of millions of dollars to billionaires.

THE MTL
I like how this article comes out when the Heat are struggling. I doubt they break up that team for financial reasons.

waveycrockett

Yep

DumDum
howard back to orlando

waveycrockett
12-11-2012, 03:28 AM
I like how this article comes out when the Heat are struggling. I doubt they break up that team for financial reasons.

OKC did. The new luxury tax was set in place for exactly that reason

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Does this mean we should expect another 1 hr show on ESPN Called "The Decision Deux" ?

Will 2 BE
12-11-2012, 03:34 AM
Or PSD hype...whenever there is a top notch free agent available, or a top notch guy rumored to be wanting to be traded, Knick fans here, or at least a high percentage of them, always feel as if that player will go to NYK.

I blame ESPN being so close to NYC. Always some analyst who figures they can boast their career by stretching the truth and get some extra air time in the NY media.

Will 2 BE
12-11-2012, 03:39 AM

Yeah but I'm sure in his world all he cares about is the bottom line. If they are winning games but losing money, it won't matter. Owners are looking to make a profit doesn't matter if they can afford to take the hit or not.

yanksrock
12-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Can't see a Bosh for Gasol trade go down because Gasol is owed his weight in gold. Unless I'm not understanding something, that won't happen.

Cracka2HI!
12-11-2012, 03:53 AM
The Heat should trade Wade while they can. That would be about as heartless as a team can get, but they've pretty much sold they're sole as far as that goes. If they traded Wade now they could really create a team that could challenge Jordan's Bulls!

JEDean89
12-11-2012, 04:00 AM
who's gonna be the odd man out? why on earth would the heat want to give up lebron? also, wade has been their franchise player now with 2 titles under his belt. getting rid of him would be a terrible blow to their fans. What about Bosh? Bosh is the only skilled big on the Heat, and size is their biggest problem. Getting rid of him would render this team miniature, and even if they get a big in return, he likely won't be good enough if they are trying to dump salary. The only way i see this going down is for Wade to make the financial sacrfice in 2014, opt out of his contract and extend for may 8 mil a year. Between him, Lebron and Bosh, they would then make only about 50, and would have to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap players, but hey, you don't have to put too much around those 3 players to contend. I think Pat Riley has a plan A to keep the 3 together.

naps
12-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Miami Heat is a toy for Micky Arison. It's his pastime. The man is worth $5+ billion. He doesn't strike me as the owner who would break up such a luxurious and beautiful toy for money.

Baller1
12-11-2012, 04:22 AM
This is dumb. Miami is not going to break up their team...

They're champions... And have a chance to be champions for quite a while longer. They aren't breaking that team up.

albertajaysfan
12-11-2012, 04:44 AM
I think he must have gotten rich by not losing money. He probably has the luxury of losing money for his pleasure, or entertainment, but after a couple of years of losing tens o million dollars, he may want to turn that around...tens of millions of dollars is still tens of millions of dollars to billionaires.

Agreed

The guy didn't get rich by being frivolous. He is an NBA owner not a retired player, couldn't resist the low blow.

rockbottom2010
12-11-2012, 04:51 AM

this..and nuff said

abe_froman
12-11-2012, 05:02 AM

your assuming that the big 3 dont generate enough money for him to cover it,which they do

Guppyfighter
12-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Bosh to the Rockets makes the most sense. They are looking for another star.

Guppyfighter
12-11-2012, 05:05 AM
your assuming that the big 3 dont generate enough money for him to cover it,which they do

The new CBA has a heavy luxury tax.

Iron24th
12-11-2012, 06:05 AM
BS, they're the better team of the NBA in a 7 games series.

There's no reason (even financial) to break that.

kntresistheheat
12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Arison is the owner of carnival, he will just sell one of his ships and pay the tax. Lol seriously, the guy owns the heat as a hobby he will pay or figure it out.

thenaj17
12-11-2012, 07:00 AM

What gives you the impression they are losing money? A championship winning team still makes positive money despite what some BS accounts figures on record might say

Badluck33
12-11-2012, 07:19 AM

i normally agree with you on 95% of your opinion but...

even against the NYK, I seen an empty Heat arena.

JNoel
12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Most likely not happening. We will amnesty Miller and trade our mid range guys before this even gets thought about.

Badluck33
12-11-2012, 07:40 AM
'the big 3' equal the entire salary cap so....

Its not about spending money, its about being flexible and staying competitive by obeying the rules.

Jesse2272
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Riley doesnt panic and make stupid moves

dodie53
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
i don't see the a break up unless they don't win again in 2 years

Dade County
12-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Can a mod merge this thread into mine .... http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=787165

It's the same damn thread I already made.

justinnum1
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Wait until the heat sign that big Fox sports contract like the lakers did.

Slug3
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Wait until the heat sign that big Fox sports contract like the lakers did.

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't their current deal about to expire and they are rumored to be getting anywhere from 80-150 million a year in a new deal?

mjm07
12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
^ This is true but I haven't found anything else related to this since 7/2012 confirming that it is a done deal. If so then luxury tax penalties will not be a factor, if at all. I doubt it will be much of a deterent in keeping the big 3 either way.

mightybosstone
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
If the Heat amnesty Miller, that should provide cap flexibility. They can also sign and resign veteran guys to veteran minimum deals. The big question will be what they do with young guys like Chalmers and Cole if they don't restructure those contracts in 2014. Because Chalmers won't stick around for a veteran minimum deal. He'll command at least $4-6 million a year assuming his production doesn't improve significantly over the next year.

If they absolutely have to cut ties with someone, it has to be Wade. As much as he has done for the franchise, he's easily the most expendable of all three pieces. However, I also wouldn't put it past the three guys to take paycuts again to stay together. They've done it once and if they win one or more titles between now and then, I could easily see them taking a reduction to keep winning.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I said this a year ago. By 2014, one of them is gone (most likely Bosh).

When you factor in the contracts of Miller and haslem, that takes them to 72 million in payroll for 5 players for 2014-15. Haslem and Miller both have options that year, but no way would they turn them down at that point of their careers. Chalmers is going to want a new contract by then too, plus you still have to fill out the rest of the team. They're potentially looking at around 90 million in payroll before luxury tax for 2014-2015. This is coming off a 2013-14 season of an 88 million dollar payroll as well.

Kashmir13579
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
It won't even be a "big 3" in 2014

mightybosstone
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I said this a year ago. By 2014, one of them is gone (most likely Bosh).

When you factor in the contracts of Miller and haslem, that takes them to 72 million in payroll for 5 players for 2014-15. Haslem and Miller both have options that year, but no way would they turn them down at that point of their careers. Chalmers is going to want a new contract by then too, plus you still have to fill out the rest of the team. They're potentially looking at around 90 million in payroll before luxury tax for 2014-2015. This is coming off a 2013-14 season of an 88 million dollar payroll as well.

But why wouldn't they amnesty Miller by then since the guy is hardly a legit contributor at this point? Take that $6 million off the books and the salary situation is much more manageable.

rocket
12-11-2012, 12:07 PM

:laugh:

xfyre
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM

were you looking during half time when everyone was out bying their hot dog and beer? o_0

Heat have had a sold out arena ever since the big three formed..how long will people keep bringing up this dumb logic that isnt even true. :facepalm:

not only that but wherever the heat go they sell out opponents arenas as well because everyone comes out to see them.

NYKnickFanatic
12-11-2012, 12:51 PM

I disagree. Didnt you hear all those Knicks fans there?

Pierzynski4Prez
12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
But why wouldn't they amnesty Miller by then since the guy is hardly a legit contributor at this point? Take that $6 million off the books and the salary situation is much more manageable.

They can do that, but it hardly solves their problem of having 3 guys making over 20 million that season. They would still have salary in the mid to high 80s even without Miller.

envymamba24
12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
It won't even be a "big 3" in 2014

Truth. I see it now as "lebron and his little helpers." Bosh is great dont get me wrong and wade has done some great things in this league, but as long as you have lebron you can plug in pieces anywhere

BKLYNpigeon
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
If they break up the Heat they would be better off trading Wade while he still has value.

Stinkyoutsider
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
This new tax system is interesting and it just might work. I can't imagine spending $140+ million for 12 players? Maybe if the Heat were like the Lakers and were able to get a billion dollar local tv rights deal, the Heat can afford to pay the big tax and keep their big 3. As long as they're reaching the finals every year...

Then again, this tax hike may blow up in the face of the NBA if the player's union can convince players to take less money to play where they want to play. Guys like Lebron take less money to play where they want and with who they want. No tax can do damage to that strategy.

But, I think there's always going to be a guy like Carlos Boozer, who's going to want to be compensated as much as he can, which isn't a bad thing either...

mightybosstone
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
They can do that, but it hardly solves their problem of having 3 guys making over 20 million that season. They would still have salary in the mid to high 80s even without Miller.

True, but when you consider how much that $6 million contract could cost them in luxury taxes once they're over the cap, that's a huge help.

yaswaggin
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM
" the Miami Heat are renegotiating their contract with Fox Sports Florida, to the tune of between $80 million and $100 million. "

this is old news, from june 21st, 2012

link: http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/21/miami-heat-local-tv-deal/

rurichie
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM

or we could get rid of Lopez (who has a max) and Wallace contracts and keep JJ with D-Will and Lebron

Heatcheck
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
The Heat should trade Wade while they can. That would be about as heartless as a team can get, but they've pretty much sold they're sole as far as that goes. If they traded Wade now they could really create a team that could challenge Jordan's Bulls!

Theyre walking around shoeless?

LongIslandIcedZ
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Theyre walking around shoeless?

No, of course not.

The shoes just dont have the soles in them.

ManRam
12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
This is all based off the assumption that Arison cares about paying the tax. We have no idea if he does.

But yes, keeping this team together will be beyond costly.

JordansBulls
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
This will only happen if they don't win it all this season.

blahblahyoutoo
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Arison is one of the richest men in the world. Don't think this will affect him

In 2009, he [Arison] earned $7,201,110, which included a base salary of $880,000, a cash bonus of $2,206,116, stocks granted of $3,618,481, and other compensation totaling $496,513.[3]

lol, the big 3 make more than him.

knicks=love
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Something like

Bosh/Chalmers

for
Lawson/Faried

if i'm the nuggets, i don't do this. lawson is so underrated in this league and i don't think chalmers is that great of a PG. he's just in the perfect situation and i think faried will have a great career due to his explosiveness and energy level. if i'm the nuggets, i try to get an upgrade at C and they're a quiet contender in my mind.

lvlheaded
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
They could all opt out in 2014 and resign for less if they really wanna stay together

dtmagnet
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I think Lebron will go back to Cleveland, so they probably have nothing to worry about. I could see Bosh heading to Dallas if that happens as well.

Chronz
12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I wonder if Miami can ever become a basketball town. If years of winning doesnt raise the value of a franchise I would consider rebuilding eventually, before I go bankrupt at least.

Hustla23
12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
They can just trade Wade. Lebron + Bosh is good enough to win a championship.

tapajafri
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
The Heat should trade Wade while they still can. Not just for financial purposes, but for production on the court as well. Wade is jut not that good anymore.

Slug3
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Honestly shouldn't everyone be worrying about their own team and not Miami? Not like arison is going broke and if Miami is winning he won't break them up. They will be fine with their tv deal. If anything Miami needs to worry about lebron leaving more then them being broken up.

Slug3
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
The Heat should trade Wade while they still can. Not just for financial purposes, but for production on the court as well. Wade is jut not that good anymore.

He's still good. He's just not top 3/5 anymore.

SportsFanatic10
12-15-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-ira-nba-column-s121612,0,557778.column

yeah, don't think it'll happen.

Byronicle
12-15-2012, 02:31 PM
bosh and chalmers to raptors for bargnani and calderon lol

netsgiantsyanks
12-15-2012, 02:45 PM
bosh will be gone if this is the case.

Spimtrap
12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
I feel like Bosh would be the odd one out. Wade in my opinion is a Heat player for life. LeBron is just LeBron, you don't trade him.

c.c.
12-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Something like

Bosh/Chalmers

for
Lawson/Faried

Exclude Houston please!! Bosh didn't wanna come here in his 20's so we don't him in his 30's

SportsFanatic10
12-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Exclude Houston please!! Bosh didn't wanna come here in his 20's so we don't him in his 30's

dont worry, you won't be getting him.

NYKNYGNYY
12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Well if kobe is gone by then maybe wade can team up wit dwight if he signs

RLundi
12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I say they drop Wade.

Evolution23
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
They can just trade Wade. Lebron + Bosh is good enough to win a championship.

No way in hell are they winning a championship without Wade.