PDA

View Full Version : Week 4 Power Rankings - Thunder on Top

29$JerZ
12-10-2012, 04:57 PM
The good thing about writing Power Rankings is that you get to correct your mistakes every week. So let's just forget what was written in this space seven days ago.

Less than 48 hours after we wondered if the Miami Heat were starting to pick up steam, they lost to the Washington Wizards. And then they got smoked by the Melo-less Knicks. They may still be the favorites to win another championship in June, but they're currently a long way from playing well enough to repeat.
The same is true for most contenders, obviously. And nobody wants to peak in December. But this is the time when habits are formed and standards of execution are set. And if home-court advantage in the playoffs comes down to a game or two, losses before Christmas count just as much as those in March or April.

So, as we continue to shake our heads at the floundering Lakers and dissect the listless Miami defense, we must also give the Spurs and Thunder their due credit for taking care of business and racking up the wins early in the season.

In the middle of Tuesday night's five-game slate, we'll officially reach the 1/4 mark of the 2012-13 season, when we're supposed to have a good idea of where each team stands. And typically, about 14 of the 16 teams in the playoff picture at this point will still be there at the end of the season. It's not yet time to break out the champagne in Atlanta or Oakland, but a dignified handshake to acknowledge a strong start would be justified.

Hero Team of the Week: Atlanta (3-0) - Four teams went undefeated last week, and the Hawks had the most impressive win of the group, a 10-point victory in Memphis on Saturday. They also knocked off the Nuggets and Wizards.
Zero Team of the Week: Cleveland (0-4) - Two losses to the Pistons and a spanking from the shorthanded Timberwolves.
Plus-minus Studs: Matt Barnes and Jamal Crawford (LAC) were each a plus-51 in four games last week.
Plus-minus Duds: Byron Mullens (CHA) was a minus-66 in four games last week.
High jumps of the week: Sacramento (+6), Atlanta (+4), Utah (+4)
Free falls of the week: Brooklyn (-5), Miami (-5), Charlotte (-4), L.A. Lakers (-4)
East vs. West: The West is 75-54 (.581) against the East in inter-conference games this season and was 18-8 last week.

Toughest schedules through Sunday: 1. New Orleans, 2. Denver, 3. Toronto
Easiest schedules through Sunday: 1. Philadelphia, 2. Atlanta, 3. Oklahoma City
Schedule strength is based on cumulative opponent record, and adjusted for home vs. away and days of rest before a game.

Pace: Possessions per 48 minutes (League Rank)
OffRtg: Points scored per 100 possessions (League Rank)
DefRtg: Points allowed per 100 possessions (League Rank)
The league is averaging 94.6 possessions (per team) per 48 minutes and 102.1 points scored per 100 possessions.
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/?ls=iref:nbahpt6b

Baller1
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
OKC's schedule has been cake, but they've been taking care of business. They've won 16 of 18 after starting 1-2.

And the Spurs just don't know what losing is, haha.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I never care about the power rankings, but I do wonder why the Lakers get so much leeway. Until they prove they aren't a pretty whatever team, how do they stay ahead of teams with better records?

Again, not going to argue this subject, I really don't care, just an observation.

JNoel
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
How much do the power rankings mean?
Absolutely nothing.

29$JerZ
12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
How much do the power rankings mean?
Absolutely nothing.

Yep but its still something to discuss. Anything is more productive than NY/Brooklyn/Lakers talk right now :shrug:

JNoel
12-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Yep but its still something to discuss. Anything is more productive than NY/Brooklyn/Lakers talk right now :shrug:

I guess. Or you just wanted to boast the Knicks ranking ;)

RonE Coleman
12-10-2012, 05:16 PM

He actually left us Knicks and hopped on the NYets bandwagon before the season. :D

BigBlueCrew
12-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Whose fault is it that the Heat decided to sleepwalk thru the regular season?

Mitch Kramer
12-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Why are the Bulls #8 in ESPN's power rankings? :laugh:

ManRam
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Magic at 21 is fair, but not where I want them to be. We're going the wrong way!

heyman321
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Raptors should be last, they are terrible.

ManRam
12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Why are the Bulls #8 in ESPN's power rankings? :laugh:

They're 9 on NBA.com's. I mean, they do have the 9th best record. They do have the 8th best point differential. They are the best defensive team in the NBA. They've won three in a row, including a win against NYK on Saturday. I don't think it's preposterous.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
who cares about power rankings? No analyst is picking any of those teams over miami in a 7 game series, maybe OKC.

Mitch Kramer
12-10-2012, 05:22 PM
They're 9 on NBA.com's. I mean, they do have the 9th best record. They do have the 8th best point differential. They are the best defensive team in the NBA. They've won three in a row, including a win against NYK on Saturday. I don't think it's preposterous.

I suppose yes they have the 9th best record, but if i wanted to know that i can just look at the standings. I thought power rankings went a bit deeper than that, but i guess not.

ManRam
Don't respond to him, there's a reason he's banned from the Bulls forum.

Got it!

I mean, I've been called a Bulls hater before, but I'd like to think I've avoided being a complete idiot.

Bulls at 8-9 is absolutely fair right now.

ManRam
I suppose yes they have the 9th best record, but if i wanted to know that i can just look at the standings. I thought power rankings went a bit deeper than that, but i guess not.

Well, I did go deeper. You just bolded one part of it :shrug:

:laugh:

29$JerZ
12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
who cares about power rankings? No analyst is picking any of those teams over miami in a 7 game series, maybe OKC.

It's about this week, not the playoffs.
Playoffs aren't until much later next year so anything playoff related is silly.
OKC isn't the only team who is challenging Miami this season so far.

HowFit
The Hawks are just climbing up, while the Heat been slipping...

BigBlueCrew

how about you dont post til the playoffs? Its obviously all your waiting for.:D

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Use the ignore feature if you don't like it.

ManRam
12-10-2012, 05:29 PM
U Mad?

:sigh:

So it begins.

Also, I believe in the Hawks, as the article mentions. Well-balanced team with nice depth. I think they have relative staying power. A 2011-2012 Pacers-lite type of team.

Bob_at_york
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Guys be respectful of each other.

Mitch Kramer
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, I did go deeper. You just bolded one part of it :shrug:

:laugh:

Bulls have injury problems (big surprise) and therefore struggle on the offensive end. Will say good win vs NYK on Saturday, but it was at home after the Knicks got up for the Heat Thursday night, coming to play a shorthanded bulls squad not easy to get motivated for. Just thought 8 was pretty high.

NYYCowboys
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry for my "disrespectful" post. Let me try again to write a more respectful one.

The Heat are the best. Every other team has no shot against them. No matter what happens in the regular season they are still better than every other team. No one should question them. In a 7 games series they would probably sweep every team in the top 10 of these power rankings, and beat them by double digits every game. Wade is not losing his athleticism. They are playing lock down defense so far. All of their loses are and anomaly because the other team got lucky and hit a lot of 3s, or they aren't trying yet because it's not the playoffs.

BigBlueCrew
12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry for my "disrespectful" post. Let me try again to write a more respectful one.

The Heat are the best. Every other team has no shot against them. No matter what happens in the regular season they are still better than every other team. No one should question them. In a 7 games series they would probably sweep every team in the top 10 of these power rankings, and beat them by double digits every game. Wade is not losing his athleticism. They are playing lock down defense so far. All of their loses are and anomaly because the other team got lucky and hit a lot of 3s.

hehe, very good PSD NBA forum post.

Here's a gold star (or close to it) :win:

Guppyfighter
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM

The Heat are the best. Every other team has no shot against them. No matter what happens in the regular season they are still better than every other team. No one should question them. In a 7 games series they would probably sweep every team in the top 10 of these power rankings, and beat them by double digits every game. Wade is not losing his athleticism. They are playing lock down defense so far. All of their loses are and anomaly because the other team got lucky and hit a lot of 3s, or they aren't trying yet because it's not the playoffs.

Last year they were the fourth best team. And likely, they would be around the third seed in the West. The reason they won last year other than just beating the Thunder is because they had a much easier path, which is why they are still favorites this year and likely to win it all. They have the easiest path to the finals.

The teams with the easiest paths have the best shot.

kdspurman
12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
It's about this week, not the playoffs.
Playoffs aren't until much later next year so anything playoff related is silly.
OKC isn't the only team who is challenging Miami this season so far.

+1 :nod:

JNoel
12-10-2012, 06:09 PM

:clap:

Rational Knick posters are a true rarity nowadays

KingPosey
12-10-2012, 06:10 PM
My Kings are shooting up te charts nicely. They should be In the top 5 by the new year....

Daaaarryyl
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
There are no Bulls fans here so I'll defend them- They still have a top notch defense and I'm not sure you can make a great case for any team behind them at #9 right now.

BTW- How about them Warriors at #8? Nice

jmoney85
12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Rational Knick posters are a true rarity nowadays

lol

jmoney85
12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

#knickstrolls