PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose the L.A Lakers and Miami Heat

dnewguy
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
How can the Lakers better integrate their new additions and are they missing pieces? Who should they go after before trade deadline.

How can Miami shore up their perimeter D? Many guards are scoring career highs against them and they are very likely to lose against teams that can shoot 3 point shots. How should they go about defending the perimeter? and is the lack of a defensive big a real trouble? Who should they go after before trade deadline.

meloman1592
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Both teams will be fine

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
miami will be fine.

lakers SHOULD be fine as well, but honestly unless they start running plays and stop isoing with kobe, its going to be a long drama filled season.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
miami is fine, just championship hangover.

lakers should be concerned. they are to old, their defense is awful and will get worse once nash returns.

DanG
12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/reports-lakers-considering-bringing-pau-gasol-off-bench/2012/12/09/

Well we have to wait for Nash and Pau. I guess we should bring Pau off the bench and play him with Nash. Dwight needs a stretch 4 like Jamison and Pau can't shoot so consistantly. We have to play Pau at 5 as much as possible because he needs more space.

Keys:

Defense
Turnovers

Also Dwight has to get a lot more touches in the post.

If we keep losing when all guys are healthy and our defense still isn't improving, then we should really consider trading someone. I don't know what the defense will look like with Nash but the thing I know is Nash isn't going to improve it.

waveycrockett
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Miami isn't hungry right now. Finals hangover

LA is old and unathletic.

C-Style
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Both teams just need to play with more effort.

eternal slumber
12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
a local basketball greats around here in our country said it best that having a strong line-up won't mean you'll be a championship team. you'll also have to consider team chemistry, coaching and the system.

Lakers have a great line-up

still doesn't have chemistry

a very questionable coach

and lastly, a system that doesn't fit the team.

JayW_1023
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Miami's lack of size sometimes hurts them when you control the tempo in a slower pace. But is they turn on their D, they can impose their will for much of the game. Their D just needs to be active for a full 48 minutes. That's tough on a team that's undersized already. With a longer season, I understand why they take a few games off.

They'll be fine in the long haul if they stay healthy. They need to sit Battier, who is already really banged up. That's quite a concern.

If I were the Lakers I would blow the whole thing up, but no one can control Kobe.

archdevil84
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
i think miami needs to bring back joel anthony a little more in the rotations. he's a good paint defender and can bring the defensive energy that miami needs sometimes

ManRam
12-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Miami's only problem is defense, and from the few games I've watched it looks like effort. I can't see how it can go from a top 3 defense to one of the worst over the span of an offseason...other than just a lack of effort/hustle. I'm not too worried about them. It could be a lack of size, and that's something Spo will have to toy with, but I don't think that's necessarily the main culprit.

LA just needs to get healthy. If a month after they get Pau and Nash back things are still going wrong, then maybe it's time to explore trades. But it's too early to totally panic there as well. I don't think Nash is going to come back and magically fix things (especially the defense), but there's too much talent on that team for them not to figure it out.

waveycrockett
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't think Nash is going to come back and magically fix things (especially the defense), but there's too much talent on that team for them not to figure it out.

Thats the main problem. They keeps saying Nash is going to fix everything when their major major problem is defense and Nash is easily the worst defensive player on the roster.

Pluvious
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
miami will be fine.

lakers SHOULD be fine as well, but honestly unless they start running plays and stop isoing with kobe, its going to be a long drama filled season.

Yeah, its funny with the Lakers as people are saying they can't run D'Antonni's system. Well, ok...they aren't! They are doing post ups with Dwight, isos with Kobe, very little pick and rolls that do anything, and they are not running out on the break.

The only thing they are doing is playing a bit faster and shooting more 3's. I guess that is the "system" in a sense but only the worst elements. It looks terrible when you don't move the ball...which I'm pretty sure D'Antonni has said all along is the most important aspect of it.

So I guess there are a few trains of thought here:

1) The Lakers don't have the right personnel
2) The coach has to have a great pick and roll guard or the offense is terrible
3) The Lakers need more time

nickdymez
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Keep this thread high so when the finals start and these two teams are in them, I can say i told you so..

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Keep this thread high so when the finals start and these two teams are in them, I can say i told you so..

That's some wishful thinking.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Agree, don't know why he's overlooking the Knicks.

Ill21
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Miami will be fine

Lakers are not an elite team in my opinion. The coach isnt a good fit. Gasol is not the same player. Will Nash be able to stay healthy? The have one the the worst benches in the league. Dwight is turning into a head case. As of right now they are the 5th best team in the west behind Thunder, Clippers, Spurs and Grizzles.

ManRam
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
nevermind

SteBO
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not really worried about either team to be honest. Nash won't help the Lakers defensively, but he'll improve the shot distribution issues, and if Dwight can get back to tip-top shape, he'll help the Lakers defensively.

As a Heat fan, I can't help but to be concerned for Miami, but I know they're working hard to correct the fixable issues.

shep33
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Injuries are murdering us. Nash with a freak injury, Blake abdominal strain turned into a tear so he's out 2 months. Pau's knees have been bothering him all year, and he's been sitting the past 4 games (which is good), Dwight isn't there yet, but he's close. Other than that we've had 3 coaches this year and 3 offensive systems.

But more than anything, guys need to get healthy. That's the bottom line. We can't survive with our 3rd and 4th string point guards running the show.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Agree, don't know why he's overlooking the Knicks.

Knicks will be a good fight for miami. OKC will be waiting in the finals for whoever comes out the east. I would bet money the heat make the finals, and probably will, maybe a grand or 2.

Lakers aren't even at .500, to think they would even make it out the 2nd round is pretty funny.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Knicks will be a good fight for miami. OKC will be waiting in the finals for whoever comes out the east. I would bet money the heat make the finals, and probably will, maybe a grand or 2.

Lakers aren't even at .500, to think they would even make it out the 2nd round is pretty funny.

Screw .500, let's see them get in the double digit win column first llullz.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Screw .500, let's see them get in the double digit win column first llullz.

i think it will happen before the new year.

nolafan33
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
The Heat's defense this season, they're having a lot of the same problems the Hornets/Pelicans are having. They both allow a lot of three pointers because they pack the paint to prevent penetration and easy buckets. They do this by

1. Quick doubles in the post that come from the weakside, to hopefully force a long cross court pass.

2. Trapping on ball screens to prevent penetration before it beings, the Hornets are less aggressive but have the same intent, we hedge instead of trap.

3. Help defenders collapse the paint, leaving the three point line open.

Miami was effective the past two seasons (and the Hornets back in the Paul/Ariza days) because they are lane thieves and ball hawks. Between Chalmers, Wade, and James, how many steals per game do you think that is? They were at 5.4 last season when they won the title, that's down to 4.2 this season. That means easy scoring opportunites and a 0 point possession for the opponent, which they aren't getting as much this season. Hornets also did a great job with Paul and Ariza as they are incredible lane thieves and on ball stealers, the year we went to the playoffs those two combined for 4 steals per game between just the two of them, this season that's down to less than 2 per game.

Problem is, now the Hornets don't have that and 2 of Miami's trifecta of "steal generators" are injured or hobbled. Allen also hasn't fit in well defensively in the lineup.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
The Heat's defense this season, they're having a lot of the same problems the Hornets/Pelicans are having. They both allow a lot of three pointers because they pack the paint to prevent penetration and easy buckets. They do this by

1. Quick doubles in the post that come from the weakside, to hopefully force a long cross court pass.

2. Trapping on ball screens to prevent penetration before it beings, the Hornets are less aggressive but have the same intent, we hedge instead of trap.

3. Help defenders collapse the paint, leaving the three point line open.

Miami was effective the past two seasons (and the Hornets back in the Paul/Ariza days) because they are lane thieves and ball hawks. Between Chalmers, Wade, and James, how many steals per game do you think that is? They were at 5.4 last season when they won the title, that's down to 4.2 this season. That means easy scoring opportunites and a 0 point possession for the opponent, which they aren't getting as much this season. Hornets also did a great job with Paul and Ariza as they are incredible lane thieves and on ball stealers, the year we went to the playoffs those two combined for 4 steals per game between just the two of them, this season that's down to less than 2 per game.

Problem is, now the Hornets don't have that and 2 of Miami's trifecta of "steal generators" are injured or hobbled. Allen also hasn't fit in well defensively in the lineup.
Really? IN crunch time miami leads the league in defensive efficiceny, and allen ahs played every minute of crunch time.

RonE Coleman
12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
LA
Old, unathletic, pieces do not fit well, coach refuses to do anything about the defense

Miami
Unmotivated, Wades health, Awful perimeter defense FOR NOW

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
LA
Old, unathletic, pieces do not fit well, coach refuses to do anything about the defense

Miami
Unmotivated, Wades health, Awful perimeter defense FOR NOW
pretty much this

nolafan33
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Really? IN crunch time miami leads the league in defensive efficiceny, and allen ahs played every minute of crunch time.

Defense you play late in games greatly differs from defense you play throughout the game.

nickdymez
12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

For two of the most talented teams in the league? I doubt it. Its still early

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Defense you play late in games greatly differs from defense you play throughout the game.

not really. When miami actually plays with effort, they are one of if not the best defensive team in the league.

KnickaBocka.44
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
For two of the most talented teams in the league? I doubt it. Its still early

If the Lakers don't finish in the top 4 they are going to have to go through some really good teams to reach the finals. It's not impossible, but it would be hell of a challenge to beat 3 out of Memphis, OKC, LAC and San Antonio in a 7 game series.

Bravo95
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Heat: Perimeter defense
Lakers: Jim Buss

JasonJohnHorn
12-10-2012, 07:00 PM
The Heat need a center and a coach, and they need Wade tos starting playing like he deserves as much as he's making.

LAL needs Nash and Pau healthy and a coach that knows what he's doing.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
The Heat need a center and a coach, and they need Wade tos starting playing like he deserves as much as he's making.

LAL needs Nash and Pau healthy and a coach that knows what he's doing.

surprised you responded in this thread and didn't start one.