PDA

View Full Version : When is it right or time to leave or ask for a trade?

ajnapoleon
12-09-2012, 12:37 AM
These past few years made me wonder when can you leave? Its never a right time or right way.
A. Leave as a free agent thats well within your right even when you signed the first contract.
B. Ask for a trade and tell your team where you would want to go.
C. Tell your team you dont want to re-sign and have change of heart now and again because hey these guys are human right?

D.Stay with the team and just hope and pray they someday get you who need to win on your team and rot and lose your good years and try to play hero ball until you get some help..

kobe4thewinbang
12-09-2012, 01:14 AM
A: LeBron James
B: Dwight Howard
C: Kobe Bryant
D: Paul Pierce

:-D

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2012, 01:23 AM
I think a franchise player who was entrusted with the keys to the franchise should have exhausted all options before calling it quits on that franchise as well as the fans and the city.

KnickaBocka.44
12-09-2012, 03:48 AM
I think a franchise player who was entrusted with the keys to the franchise should have exhausted all options before calling it quits on that franchise as well as the fans and the city.

This is the right answer. Especially when you're the best player in a decade, not naming any names though...

Hellcrooner
12-09-2012, 04:11 AM
e), warn your team to try to get help, if they dont then warn them you want to be traded and a couple teams you would like so they can get something in return instead of leaving them wiht nothing in f.a.

Melo way

Dade County
12-09-2012, 04:47 AM
The Star Player should look at the ownership and the history of the franchise... If that star player has championship aspirations he should make sure that he is in the right situation...

If that star player is just playing for the money & fame, then it really doesn't matter if he stays with his team until his athleticism runs out, because he got paid, and was the MAN in his city ( even though he might never win jack ****).

I think a star player should tell his team ( if the team is not going to bring in the right people ) I am gone as soon as my contract is up; he should also tell them that he is not going to promise to sign an extension with any team that he is traded too. Tell the team, I will continue to play hard and do what I can to win games.

I don't believe a star player should have his future team raped in a trade, if the team that you are on whats to trade you because you have informed them that you are not going to resign with them, thats their business and they are in tilted to do so.

But I wouldn't give them a list of teams.. I would want to be able to make my own decision when the free agency period is clear, and I can see what team out their fits me.

I want to win, so i have to put myself in the best situation possible... It's my career.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Well... I mean, if you aren't happy in a certain situation, it's not going to be good for anybody to stay in that situation. Sure, things might change down the line, but likely not. Look how long Garnett stayed in Minny? And I mean they did an awful job of putting talent around him.

If youa ren't happy, you need to ask your so why, and if the answer to that question can't addressed, then the likely situation is that it is best for you and the franchise that you part ways.

ManRam
12-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I wrote an essay, but figured it was pointless. Short form:

1. Dwight handled it as poorly as you could have. His demands became public, he kept opening his mouth, he hurt his team and he eventually shot himself in the foot by not opting out. Everything he did was wrong.
2. Melo handled it slightly better. He never talked about it. However, I don't like when players demand a trade to one team. If you want to go to a certain team, wait for free agency. Otherwise, honor your contract and let the team do what's best for them.
3. There are times when it's OK. Like KG. KG hung around in Minny for far longer than he should have. He asked for a trade, and the team honored it.

I think it can be OK, but I don't like when players demand trades to certain teams and certain teams only, it shouldn't be something you make public, and it shouldn't be early in a contract/career.

But whatever. Ultimately it's a business and these guys are just looking out for themselves. I can understand it, it just looks really bad...and rightfully so.