PDA

View Full Version : Melo vs Lebron by Broussard/nba assistant

BklynKnicks3
12-08-2012, 09:40 AM
He's an assistant coach on one of the top staffs in the league, not a rabid fan deluded by love for his team. So his words should be taken seriously. And after studying both the Heat and the Knicks, he told me this week he'd take the Knicks in a seven-game series.

When I mentioned this to a longtime Eastern Conference scout, the scout didn't fall out of his chair. While he wouldn't go as far as the coach, he did say the Knicks are "absolutely a legitimate threat" to dethrone the Heat.

The Knicks, who destroyed the Heat on Thursday night in Miami, have lots of things going for them but none bigger than Carmelo Anthony. Despite the fact Anthony did not play last night because of stitches in his middle finger on his left hand, he is on my short list of early season MVP candidates, plays LeBron James better than any other swingman in the league.

No one outplays James, whose versatility enables him to impact the game more than any player in the league. Most guys, in fact, get dominated by him. But not Anthony. While he may not pass and defend as well as James, he comes closer than anyone to matching James' production.

ESPN.com researcher Ryan Feldman went all the way back to the 2007-08 season to study how the league's top swingmen have fared against LeBron. He looked at their production when they were on the court together (whether guarding each other or not) and found the following revelations. (All stats are per 48 minutes.)

When James and Joe Johnson have been on the court together, James has averaged 47.2 points, 11.3 rebounds, 10.1 assists and 4.3 steals on 49.4 percent shooting (per 48 minutes). Johnson, who was traded from Atlanta to Brooklyn last summer, has averaged 27.7 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 0.4 steals on 46.4 percent shooting. Obviously, James has owned that matchup.

In similar fashion, James has outscored Boston's Paul Pierce by an average of 23 points per game, Indiana's Danny Granger by an average of more than 14 points per game and Denver's Andre Iguodala (formerly of Philadelphia) by nearly nine points per game, on average.

Kevin Durant fares better and even outscores LeBron (30.5 to 29.0). But the fact Durant has shot just 36 percent compared to LeBron's 46 percent still gives James the upper hand. Throw in that LeBron has outrebounded Durant by an average of three boards per game and given out 9.9 assists to Durant's 1.5 assists, and the matchup falls solidly in James' favor.

But it's a different story with Anthony. Melo has averaged 34.3 points to LeBron's 33.5. Surprisingly, he's also outrebounded LeBron 9.7 to 9.4. LeBron has the big edge in assists (8.2 to 3.5) and also tops Anthony in shooting percentage (48.8 percent to 44.1 percent). With James unable to obliterate his opponent like usual, his clubs have struggled against Anthony's, winning just six of their past 16 games against them.

One factor that helps Anthony when playing James' teams is that Anthony, unlike the aforementioned players, rarely guards James. And while Melo has shown a marked improvement in his defense this season, he won't guard James in the foreseeable future. That's because the Knicks have tough and hard-nosed Ronnie Brewer to guard James. Plus, Jason Kidd can guard him in spurts and when Iman Shumpert gets healthy, he can take James.

"Melo can get a rest on the defensive end because he doesn't have to guard LeBron," the assistant coach said. "I think that helps him a lot."

James doesn't have that luxury. He has to spend plenty of time guarding Anthony, arguably the league's best scorer.

"You can't put anybody else on Melo if you're Miami," the coach said. "You can try to put Shane Battier on him, but he's going to abuse Battier."

Anthony is also benefiting this season from the presence of Kidd. The scout pointed out that the only time Anthony ever won a playoff series was in 2008-09 when he played beside Chauncey Billups in Denver. Both Kidd and Billups are point guards whom Melo respects.

"I think there's a direct correlation between the success Melo is having this year and the fact that Kidd is there," the scout said. "If Melo doesn't have a point guard he respects, he's going to get his points and it's going to be a crap show and not about winning. I don't think there's any doubt that's one reason we've seen a different Melo this year."

But the Knicks are more than Anthony. One reason the assistant coach likes the Knicks is because they're not intimidated by the Heat. Kidd and Tyson Chandler have already beaten the Heat (as members of the Dallas Mavericks in the 2011 NBA Finals), and cagey veterans Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas and Marcus Camby aren't impressed by Miami's pedigree.

"With most teams there's a fear factor in playing the Heat that accounts for 5 to 7 points a game," the coach said. "But the Knicks are the oldest team ever. They have too many guys who are experienced enough and still good enough not to care about how good LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are. If LeBron or Wade is driving to the hole, you're going to get glimpses of those old, hard-fought Knicks-Heat series. A guy like Kurt Thomas will put them on their butt."

And remember, even though the Knicks enter Thursday night's game with the conference's best record at 13-4, they're still not whole. They've got reinforcements coming in Shumpert and Amar'e Stoudemire. There have been reports that Stoudemire is willing to come off the bench, though Stoudemire has not confirmed them. The assistant coach thinks that would make the Knicks devastating.

"If Amar'e is in fact ready to come off the bench, that's another major problem for the Heat," he said. "Who on Miami's bench is guarding that dude? And if you play him and Sheed together, there are so many things you can do with that lineup. You can space the floor a bit better because now Amar'e's got a stretch 4/5 in Sheed that can give him room to operate."

The scout said the key for Stoudemire is not so much whether he starts, but where his focus is.

"First and foremost, Amar'e's got to buy into defending and rebounding," the scout said. "He can't play phantom defense like he has the last two, three years. He made a lot of people a lot of money by the way he guarded them the past few seasons. If he decides to buy in, watch out."

The bottom line is that Thursday night's game in Miami might have been a preview of the Eastern Conference finals, one that certainly should no longer be viewed as a cakewalk for the Heat.

waveycrockett
12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
why is this guy anonymous

JasonJohnHorn
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Seriously? Melo is playing well this season, but Durant is still the next closes thing to LBJ in th league. And suggesting that Melo plays LBJ better than any other wing? That's not even true (I've seen Prince, Pierce and Deng all play LBJ more effectively than Melo). Firstly, the second win for NY over MIA came with Melo sitting on the bench. Secondly, Melo the last two post season when Melo and LBJ when head-to-head, Melo shot .375 from the field one year, and .419 the next. I would hardly say that's playing LBJ better than any wing. I'd say the opposite in fact. Durant and Melo are scoring around the same clip right now, but Durant is out rebounding Melo and getting more assists in the process, while also getting about twice as many blocks and steals. And Durant is currently shooting over .500 from the floor, over .450 from the arc and over .900 from the charity stripe, all better percentages than Melo.

Is NY a threat to MIA? Yes. Is Melo in the MVP conversation? Sure, but he's not at the top of it. Woodson deserves as much credit for making this work as anybody in my opinion. That's not to take away from what Melo is doing in NY, but let us be honest, if he was doing it in Utah, or Denver or Minny, or Memphis instead of New York, nobody would be talking about it.

LBJ is still the best player and best small forward in the game, and Durant is still the second best player and second best small forward in the game, and he's actually closed the gap a little between he and LBJ.

Durant is the one who should be getting the love. He's improved his rebounding and passing (his assists have gone up, and turnovers have gone down) and percentages, while his team currently has more wins than any other team in the league!

xxplayerxx23
12-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Amazing.

Captain Moroni
12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Seriously? Melo is playing well this season, but Durant is still the next closes thing to LBJ in th league. And suggesting that Melo plays LBJ better than any other wing? That's not even true (I've seen Prince, Pierce and Deng all play LBJ more effectively than Melo). Firstly, the second win for NY over MIA came with Melo sitting on the bench. Secondly, Melo the last two post season when Melo and LBJ when head-to-head, Melo shot .375 from the field one year, and .419 the next. I would hardly say that's playing LBJ better than any wing. I'd say the opposite in fact. Durant and Melo are scoring around the same clip right now, but Durant is out rebounding Melo and getting more assists in the process, while also getting about twice as many blocks and steals. And Durant is currently shooting over .500 from the floor, over .450 from the arc and over .900 from the charity stripe, all better percentages than Melo.

Is NY a threat to MIA? Yes. Is Melo in the MVP conversation? Sure, but he's not at the top of it. Woodson deserves as much credit for making this work as anybody in my opinion. That's not to take away from what Melo is doing in NY, but let us be honest, if he was doing it in Utah, or Denver or Minny, or Memphis instead of New York, nobody would be talking about it.

LBJ is still the best player and best small forward in the game, and Durant is still the second best player and second best small forward in the game, and he's actually closed the gap a little between he and LBJ.

Durant is the one who should be getting the love. He's improved his rebounding and passing (his assists have gone up, and turnovers have gone down) and percentages, while his team currently has more wins than any other team in the league!

Did you actually read the article? Might want to read it again because your comments make no sense as pertaining to what was written.

Captain Moroni
12-08-2012, 10:32 AM
why is this guy anonymous

Ask Broussard

Steelers23_06
12-08-2012, 10:47 AM
So why does lebron have to guard melo? I feel he guards him sporadically and the heat play zone a lot with a lot of switching. And even when they did run man I'd see battier guarding melo just for that reason. I wouldn't be so quick to give melo the upperhand.

bucketss
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
you make nothing but melo threads bahahah.

yankeesown69
12-08-2012, 11:05 AM

LOL.
I don't think the article ever said that Melo is better than LeBron. Nor did it even say that Melo is better than Durant. It pretty much just compares head to head match ups and analyzes why Melo has had success against LeBron over the years. Maybe read the article before randomly answering with something that is completely off base.

jmoney85
12-08-2012, 11:07 AM
One of the Knicks stooges at it again

waveycrockett
12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Durant is a better player but Melo matches up very well against LeBron. How many SF's can push LeBron around on the inside? Just Melo and maybe Ron Ron but he isnt really doing any scoring.

3RDASYSTEM
12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Since they highschool days neither could guard either one,they always matched up well, just check those CAVS/NUGGS games, it seemed like 37-40pts were put up by both BRON/MELO/

MELO has always had a better offensive arsenal than BRON, as far as facingup/pullup j or 3shot/postgame

but BRON can do whatever he wants on the court ala MAGIC/AI/JORDANlike, that what seperates him in my book

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Durant is a better player but Melo matches up very well against LeBron. How many SF's can push LeBron around on the inside? Just Melo and maybe Ron Ron but he isnt really doing any scoring.

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you. Good post.

BALLER R
12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
So why does lebron have to guard melo? I feel he guards him sporadically and the heat play zone a lot with a lot of switching. And even when they did run man I'd see battier guarding melo just for that reason. I wouldn't be so quick to give melo the upperhand.

Who else on the heat can guard Melo. I don't think You can play too much Zone with the Knicks though.

colinskik
12-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Your stats are meaningless when the article provides stats that pertain to the argument.

Try reading things over completely before you spew nonsense. The author was not claiming that Melo is better than Lebron or Durant or anyone for that matter. He states that the match up is favorable to Melo.

As for the bolded part ... Melo WAS doing it in Denver and we WERE talking about it. C'mon, son.

Posts like yours are pure hate speech.

RonE Coleman
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM

:facepalm:

Did you even read what was written?

Minimal
12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Cool story, bro

elledaddy
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Cool story, bro

:facepalm: This " cool story bro" shyt is so wack. Everybody who say this is a d1ckeater. Try being original

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Melo gets up to play LeBron, always has. If only Melo played with that same intensity and focus the other 78 times a year, we may not have to talk about him being top 15, versus top 5.

Consistency. It's always been Melo's nemesis.

ChickenSouvlaki
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
:facepalm: This " cool story bro" shyt is so wack. Everybody who say this is a d1ckeater. Try being original

Cool story bro

BklynKnicks3
12-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Top 15 lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Melo gets up to play LeBron, always has. If only Melo played with that same intensity and focus the other 78 times a year, we may not have to talk about him being top 15, versus top 5.

totally agree.

HYFR
12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Yea this article never said melo was better just that he matches up very well. Lebron can't body him like he does to dam near every else lol.

Hustla23
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Steve Novak is better than both of them so who cares.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Steve Novak is better than both of them so who cares.

Novak has a better W/L record this season than they do. :)

RLundi
12-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Good read. I hope the Heat and Knicks meet in the playoffs and it goes to 7. I'd love to see Melo and LeBron going at it for a long series.

Heat vs Knicks is back! And it's GREAT for the league.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Yea this article never said melo was better just that he matches up very well. Lebron can't body him like he does to dam near every else lol.

they also mentioned that Melo never guards LeBron, while LeBron has to waste a ton of effort he could be using on offense to guard Melo. One is expending a ton more energy than the other.

Like I said, Melo always gets up to play LeBron. Sure wish he would get up to play the 40 games a year he just shows up and goes through the motions.

JordansBulls
12-08-2012, 04:30 PM

I think it has more to do with them coming in the same class as well. Also Deng gets up for Lebron as well as they were the #1 and #2 high school players in the nation the same season.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I think it has more to do with them coming in the same class as well. Also Deng gets up for Lebron as well as they were the #1 and #2 high school players in the nation the same season.

for sure. Honestly, everyone gets up to play the best, in any sport. But for sure Melo, and I agree, Deng, get supercharged to play against LeBron.

Jesse2272
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Hawk

he really has this year

the focus/drive blows my mind

have you watched enough games to make that call, forget seasons past?/!

whats your opinion not allowing you to review the past my dude

were not not talking all time status just 18 games (+ Olympics to throw a curve)

Ebbs
12-08-2012, 05:20 PM
While no one really cares the read was interesting.

SportsFanatic10
12-08-2012, 05:26 PM
haha its funny how huge the gap between lebron and everyone else is, the guy is an absolute beast! melo doesn't even defend him and tries his best in the matchup while lebron spends energy guarding melo and still outplays him. the knicks are good but they cant push miami past 6 games in the playoffs when it matters imo.

amos1er
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Durant gets plenty of love bro. lol

amos1er
12-08-2012, 05:55 PM
haha its funny how huge the gap between lebron and everyone else is, the guy is an absolute beast! melo doesn't even defend him and tries his best in the matchup while lebron spends energy guarding melo and still outplays him. the knicks are good but they cant push miami past 6 games in the playoffs when it matters imo.

Time will tell. The Heat have been put on notice though. Should be a good series to watch though. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it's not in the first or second round. Kidd has been the difference maker IMO.

SwatTeam
12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Pat the rat is going to get some reinforcements by the trade deadline or off the waiver list late in the season. It's not over until Pat Riley gets everyone, DISCOUNTED! Lets not rush to conclusions or get caught up in semantics, let the season play out.

Dankster
12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
That was a very interesting article.

It's no surprise though out of pretty much everyone in the league since 2003, Melo has had the most success against Lebron compared to other SF's/PF's. It's probably because they're both freakish hybrids---they're close in size (although Lebron is more muscular,) and they've been playing each other since their high school days, so they're very familiar with each others games.

Those #'s in that article were very interesting. No one is disputing Lebron is the best player on the planet, but melo is one of the very few guys in this league that when they go against each other, it's pretty much a wash.

Hustla23
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Novak has a better W/L record this season than they do. :)
I'd say it's pretty evident. This proof is just icing on the cake.

Kashmir13579
12-08-2012, 09:06 PM

truth

Fnom11
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Let's wait until the Knicks get past the first round before we assume that this match-up will be a Conference Finals preview.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Posts like yours are pure hate speech.

There is no hate in my speech at all. I merely point out that Melo and LBJ have played each other twice in the post season, and Melo got shut down. Was there a big a different in points between Melo and LBJ as there is say between LBJ and Iggy? No, because Melo shot A LOT!!! But he was held to a low FG%, where as Iggy's regular season scoring average is much lower than LBJ's scoring average, so of course LBJ is going to score more points.

I didn't say I hate Melo once. There is no hate in my post. You are projecting. You are a Knicks fan who is taking this personally.

You can go on about regular season games, fine, I don't care. What matters is when you play night in and night out in a 7 game series. LBJ is 8-1 against LBJ in the playoffs. Fact. LBJ shoots a career low in FG% against LBJ in the playoffs. FACT!

Deng, Pierce, and Prince have all forced LBJ to shoot at a lower percentage than his regular season average, which Melo failed to do. Did LBJ play them well? Of course. But all of their regular season socring averages are lower than Melo, so of course, even if he is shooting at .400, Melo will still score more becaue he shoots more.

And the fact that this article came out after NY beat Miami and Melo wasn't even playing that game is a joke.

Bottom line: Melo is likely the third best SF in the game. This article celebrates a thrid-place finish and two first round exits and a 1-8 record in a head-to-head match up between Melo and LBJ in the post season.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. When Melo was in Denver and he went five season without winning in the first round, he was hounded by the press. He plays in NY for two seasons and wins even fewer games than in Denver and people are going on about how he matches up well against LBJ in the post season? Please.

Where are the results?

Greedy22
12-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Pretty interesting read, it's known Melo gets up to play his close friend Lebron though. Dates all the way back to Melo's senior year of high school and Lebron's junior year.

calibird707
12-09-2012, 10:59 AM

So you totally disregard 2 thumpings by 20? D-Wade might not even have knees come playoff time...if D-wade is not at his best, MIA is a drastically different team..i wouldnt be suprised if the heat got bumped before the conference finals...IMO when they get stat and shump back they will be the best team in the east

dnewguy
12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Will anyone be surprised when the Heat drop the Knicks again this play-offs? over-reliance on 3 point shots may get them a game but that's it. Keep shooting...

SportsFanatic10
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
So you totally disregard 2 thumpings by 20? D-Wade might not even have knees come playoff time...if D-wade is not at his best, MIA is a drastically different team..i wouldnt be suprised if the heat got bumped before the conference finals...IMO when they get stat and shump back they will be the best team in the east

regular season games are a joke. just ask chicago and boston how having miami's number in the regular season worked out for them when all the chips were on the table in may. miami looks like a different team when they care, and over the course of a series you can plan for your opponent. wade will be fine, he says he is targeting the allstar break to feel fully back and ready to go, he looked good again last night shooting 9/12 for 26, he'll be more consistent as the year goes on and miami can afford to rest his knees as much as he needs with ray allen and the fact that they'll coast to a top 2 seed. but like i said knicks are good, but i'm not even close to being convinced they are good enough to knock off the heat. series goes 5 or 6 tops.

D-Leethal
12-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Will anyone be surprised when the Heat drop the Knicks again this play-offs? over-reliance on 3 point shots may get them a game but that's it. Keep shooting...

Keep leaving us wide, and I mean WIDE open for quality threes off ball movement and we will continue to shoot them. Theres a reason we take more three's against you guys than anyone else. Its not like we didn't pick and roll the **** out of your swiss cheese defense too and get any shot we wanted any time we wanted it.

rhymeratic
12-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm a Knick fan and even I find this article to be complete mularky and tomfoolery. It's such a stretch to make up stats to your favor for an argument.

Throw all the stats out the window... only thing that matters is the eye test....

My eyes tell me Lebron will get his, Melo will get his, it's up to the rest of the players on both sides to determine the outcome of Heat vs Knicks. My eyes tell me the Heat are not hungry like they were in the past. My eyes tell me the Knicks are hungry like a dog that hasn't eaten in over a year. The only wild card is Amare as he can either make or break the Knicks season.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Hawk

he really has this year

the focus/drive blows my mind

have you watched enough games to make that call, forget seasons past?/!

whats your opinion not allowing you to review the past my dude

were not not talking all time status just 18 games (+ Olympics to throw a curve)

My opinion is, if he is still doing this after 50 games, I will let up on him.

By the way, its not as if his stats are blowing up. He is still well behind some of the top dogs like Bron, Durant, Kobe, etc. He is more engaged on defense, and that is huge.

Jesse2272
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
My opinion is, if he is still doing this after 50 games, I will let up on him.

By the way, its not as if his stats are blowing up. He is still well behind some of the top dogs like Bron, Durant, Kobe, etc. He is more engaged on defense, and that is huge.

No argument here

His selflessness is crazy

definitely a new Melo

I dont have Kobe ahead of him, dont watch enough Laker games

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
No argument here

His selflessness is crazy

definitely a new Melo

I dont have Kobe ahead of him, dont watch enough Laker games

I still have a few more guys ahead of Melo. Old habits die hard. Like I said, I will be willing to move him into the top 10 if his defensive effort and team level of play keep up after 50 games or so. It may actually take me the whole year. 700 games of evidence will do that to ya.

c.c.
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
The Heat looks like they don't really care about the regular season, they cruising thru it til its playoff time. Coming into the season everyone knew they was gonna make another strong playoffs push but no one knew that the Knicks was gonna play so well. They still might exit 1st round though

Jesse2272
12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I still have a few more guys ahead of Melo. Old habits die hard. Like I said, I will be willing to move him into the top 10 if his defensive effort and team level of play keep up after 50 games or so. It may actually take me the whole year. 700 games of evidence will do that to ya.

Alright brother we definitely having this convo all year

look forward to it