PDA

View Full Version : How is Kevin Durant so good with chicken legs??

Lim
12-08-2012, 01:18 AM
those things look like they could snap in half at any second. matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a career ending injury in the near future because of those weak *** legs.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Legs are the least important, in terms of strength/mass. The thinner your legs and the shorter your feet the better.

Upper body is totally dependent on play style

droalex
12-08-2012, 01:22 AM
^I always thought legs were important in terms of having great upper body strength.

Just my opinion though

Big Zo
12-08-2012, 01:22 AM
You checking out his legs, brah? lol

LAKobeBryant
12-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Do you see him attacking the rim like Wade in prime?
Do you see him falling down like Curry?
Do you see him guarding big mans like LeBron?

I dont see how he can possibly get a career ending injury.

Baller1
12-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Because he's a legendary talent. Simple as that.

Lim
12-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Do you see him attacking the rim like Wade in prime?
Do you see him falling down like Curry?
Do you see him guarding big mans like LeBron?

I dont see how he can possibly get a career ending injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJq8Odk1y0

come again???

RealLiveBear
12-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Because he's a legendary talent. Simple as that.

FACT :clap::clap::clap:

Sactown
12-08-2012, 01:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJq8Odk1y0

come again???

So what, it was in Brooklyn lol.. Brooklyn has the Kardasions protecting the rim...

Chronz
12-08-2012, 01:37 AM
^I always thought legs were important in terms of having great upper body strength.

Just my opinion though

My bad Im not talking about thighs, usually when people say chicken legs Im thinking calves and lower legs.

bucketss
12-08-2012, 01:45 AM
goat potential.

rwynyc
12-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Legs are the least important, in terms of strength/mass. The thinner your legs and the shorter your feet the better.

This is probably the worst answer possible. Legs are the biggest muscle in your body and thats where you get all your strength from.

My legs are pretty skinny. Its genetics but they are still extremely strong cause I train them hard.

jerellh528
12-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Lol wut? Most black men have skinny legs not news

Mr_Jones
12-08-2012, 04:11 AM

Yes.

DumDum
12-08-2012, 04:45 AM
:injury:

Ebbs
12-08-2012, 05:02 AM

Umm no that's be wrong. When driving anyone anywhere you will be a thousand times more succesful driving from your legs.

Chavacano
12-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Yes.

^^ #Mr_JonesSystem. llullz

NYKNYGNYY
12-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Wtf is up with the threads today

the_antz_nest
12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Legs are not important neither are arms or upper body.

It's all in the core. Core strength is the key to any position. And 90% of professional sports.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
prolly cause he is near 7', with super long arms, and plays the 3. Knowing your shot will never be bothered gives you the ability to go up confident every time.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Umm no that's be wrong. When driving anyone anywhere you will be a thousand times more succesful driving from your legs.
Come again?

What do feel is less important than legs?

Sly Guy
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
check out Howard's legs vs the rest of his body. He's damned skinny there too.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 02:08 PM
check out Howard's legs vs the rest of his body. He's damned skinny there too.

Yea. Yao had tree trunks for legs but it didn't help him as much as having a wide frame would have.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Do you even lift?

JNA17
12-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm sorry what? Leg strength is one of in not THE most important for basketball athletes. Without it, how do you think your favorite players like Tmac have their careers fallen short?

Chronz
12-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Do you even lift?
Do you mean like leg press? I have to temper my strength training because of my heart defect but I generally ignore my legs altogether. Point freak?

Chronz
12-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry what? Leg strength is one of in not THE most important for basketball athletes. Without it, how do you think your favorite players like Tmac have their careers fallen short?

Explain.

I always thought Tmac having chicken legs was great for his game. I mean whats less important than leg size?

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Do you mean like leg press? I have to temper my strength training because of my heart defect but I generally ignore my legs altogether. Point freak?

Leg presses for strength training? LOL

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:05 PM

It's all in the core. Core strength is the key to any position. And 90% of professional sports.

Core strength/flexibility is definitely the most important. But I think upper body strength is more important for bigs trying to bang on the blocks

JNA17
12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Explain.

I always thought Tmac having chicken legs was great for his game. I mean whats less important than leg size?

Arm strength, not the most useful for basketball. Same player, Durant has skinny arms. Kevin Garnett, skinny arms. Pau Gasol (besides the last 2 years) skinny arms, Tim Duncan even is not that bulky in his arms. Past players like Kareem, Larry Bird, Kevin Mchale, etc. Sure arm strength is beneficial but its not required like legs is.

With leg strength, you can handle something simple like running back and forth around the court all game long, and have enough durability to handle many leg injuries that will surely happen throughout their career.

Players like Tmac, Grant Hill, Shaun Livingston, Yao Ming, and even current players like Wade, Bynum, Roy, the list goes on and on. These are players without the durability in their legs and their careers are much shorter for it.

In basketball, you run...a lot. If you don't train your legs to handle the pressure of that much milage, your basketball career will be short. Its why players like Kobe, Duncan, Kareem, most great players really, train their legs the most in their bodies and try to take good care of them as much as possible.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Leg presses for strength training? LOL

Care to clue me in? This is the 2nd time Ive asked you to elaborate. Im glad I amuse you but do you have any interest in the discussion at hand? This will be my last time asking.

Lim
12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Lol wut? Most black men have skinny legs not news

as skinny and lanky as KD? not even close. KD is easily top 3 in skinniest legs in the whole NBA.

chitownkid773
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM

brother that couldnt be further from the truth. Your legs are your foundation, especially for pro athletes. I think KD has been getting by on his natural athletic ability, but i garuntee a good chunk of his training is and will continue to be focused on his legs

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
what a dumb thread....

chitownkid773
12-08-2012, 03:15 PM

core includes your lower back and legs(glutes)

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Arm strength, not the most useful for basketball. Same player, Durant has skinny arms. Kevin Garnett, skinny arms. Pau Gasol (besides the last 2 years) skinny arms, Tim Duncan even is not that bulky in his arms. Past players like Kareem, Larry Bird, Kevin Mchale, etc. Sure arm strength is beneficial but its not required like legs is.
I suppose thats true, I have said being frail in terms of arm strength shouldn't be important when evaluating prospects. Im struggling to think of a need for really immense arm strength.

With leg strength, you can handle something simple like running back and forth around the court all game long, and have enough durability to handle many leg injuries that will surely happen throughout their career.
I dont think thats true but we are talking about sheer leg size on top of strength. Like Wilt Chamberlain had skinny legs relative to the rest of his body, he was a world class runner. He also had amazing upper body strength.

Players like Tmac, Grant Hill, Shaun Livingston, Yao Ming, and even current players like Wade, Bynum, Roy, the list goes on and on. These are players without the durability in their legs and their careers are much shorter for it.
The topic is about chicken legs tho, ankles and feet are separate. And I dont agree with your reasoning on why those players declined. Yao Ming had tree trunks for legs so if he doesn't have strength/mass in his legs I dont know who else would.

In basketball, you run...a lot. If you don't train your legs to handle the pressure of that much milage, your basketball career will be short. Its why players like Kobe, Duncan, Kareem, most great players really, train their legs the most in their bodies and try to take good care of them as much as possible.
If you replace the word legs with core strength or upper body strength, I think your argument would be the same. Various great players worked on various parts of their bodies.
With Tmac I feel the main reason he outlasted his Doc's outlook on his NBA career is because he prioritized the part of his body that required the most attention. His chicken legs were never the problem, it was his balky back that did the most damage. Hes said hes worked on his core and thighs but I dont think he cared all that much about his lower legs.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Care to clue me in? This is the 2nd time Ive asked you to elaborate. Im glad I amuse you but do you have any interest in the discussion at hand? This will be my last time asking.

It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:25 PM
brother that couldnt be further from the truth. Your legs are your foundation, especially for pro athletes. I think KD has been getting by on his natural athletic ability, but i garuntee a good chunk of his training is and will continue to be focused on his legs
When you say legs are you talking about chicken legs? I should clarify that Im talking about the size/mass of his lil legs. Can you really improve that much compared to upper body strength?

You need strength in your legs, specifically in the knees but I dont see the size of those lower legs being all that important. Arent you more agile with skinnier legs? Not as cumbersome and such?

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:26 PM
It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes you have made that opinion clear, yet you refuse to educate me. In other words why are you even posting here? If its just to troll then I sincerely hope your stay at PSD isnt a long one, we have enough of those kind of posters.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes you have made that opinion clear, yet you refuse to educate me. In other words why are you even posting here? If its just to troll then I sincerely hope your stay at PSD isnt a long one, we have enough of those kind of posters.

There's a difference between strength and hypertrophy. Using their leg size to determine their lower body strength is laughable.

Leg presses don't build strength. They're mainly used for muscle imbalances and for hypertrophy.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
There's a difference between strength and hypertrophy. Using their leg size to determine their lower body strength is laughable.
Agreed, but this thread is talking about mass as well.

Greedy22
12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Who cares about how skinny or big his legs are? He plays extremely efficient basketball while doing it playing 38 plus mpg, that should speak volumes about what kind of shape his legs are in.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Agreed, but this thread is talking about mass as well.

Then it's a stupid thread. An athlete should be focused on strength not hypertrophy. Hypertrophy does not necessarily correlate to greater strength.

I laughed because you said that leg strength is the least important component to strength. That's wrong. Where is their explosiveness coming from? Their arms?

Jesse2272
12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
hes a freak of nature

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Leg presses don't build strength. They're mainly used for muscle imbalances and for hypertrophy.
So the correct way of saying skinny legs arent important would be by pointing out hypertrophy in the legs isnt that important?

And like I said before, I cant push my body beyond leg presses. They are indeed used for definition but they still build strength. Nothing like squats but for people with my condition it seems more valuable.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Then it's a stupid thread. An athlete should be focused on strength not hypertrophy. Hypertrophy does not necessarily correlate to greater strength.

I laughed because you said that leg strength is the least important component to strength. That's wrong. Where is their explosiveness coming from? Their arms?

Im under the impression that explosion primarily comes from the thigh/quad area. The areas I specifically mentioned I wasn't talking about.

el hidalgo
12-08-2012, 03:45 PM

wrong. leg presses will most definitely build strength. rep range is what determines strength. low reps will build more strength with less hypertrophy than a moderate rep scheme.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 03:45 PM
So the correct way of saying skinny legs arent important would be by pointing out hypertrophy in the legs isnt that important?

And like I said before, I cant push my body beyond leg presses. They are indeed used for definition but they still build strength. Nothing like squats but for people with my condition it seems more valuable.

Actually, I originally disagreed because you said that leg strength is the least important component of functional strength in basketball.

Explosiveness is a function of strength and time. If it's not their legs that's generating that force that lifts them off of the ground and 40 inches higher then what is it?

JNA17
12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
The topic is about chicken legs tho, ankles and feet are separate. And I dont agree with your reasoning on why those players declined. Yao Ming had tree trunks for legs so if he doesn't have strength/mass in his legs I dont know who else would.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Yao+Ming+Kobe+Bryant+Houston+Rockets+v+Los+T7xHHSH wG2Ol.jpg

In terms of just width, Yao's legs look barley bigger than Kobe's in this picture. Im not so sure in the tree trunks part. :laugh2: and even if his legs looked big, doesn't mean his muscles in the legs were.

If you replace the word legs with core strength or upper body strength, I think your argument would be the same. Various great players worked on various parts of their bodies.

Core Strength, sure. Upper Body Strength, not so much IMO. Again, beneficial, but not required. Guards like Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Chris Paul don't exactly have great arm strength. Obviously many players work on more than just their legs or their arms or whatever, but the one of if not the main part of the body to constantly train in is the legs.

With Tmac I feel the main reason he outlasted his Doc's outlook on his NBA career is because he prioritized the part of his body that required the most attention. His chicken legs were never the problem, it was his balky back that did the most damage. Hes said hes worked on his core and thighs but I dont think he cared all that much about his lower legs.

I honestly don't know about all of T-Mac's injuries but one of the interesting things I have heard about the Human body is that if you suffer a lot of pain in your legs, you will also have problems with your back (paraphrasing but that's the jist of it). I'm not quite sure if it's the legs that start the pain in the back or the back that starts the pain the legs. Ill look that up later, interesting. :D

In bold.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
wrong. leg presses will most definitely build strength. rep range is what determines strength. low reps will build more strength with less hypertrophy than a moderate rep scheme.

Anything that creates enough resistance will build strength. Leg presses just aren't effective. If they were, powerlifters wouldn't call them overpriced weight stands and olympic lifters would actually have sleds in their gyms.

sep11ie
12-08-2012, 03:54 PM
What has happened to the NBA forum?

el hidalgo
12-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Anything that creates enough resistance will build strength. Leg presses just aren't effective. If they were, powerlifters wouldn't call them overpriced weight stands and olympic lifters would actually have sleds in their gyms.

nobody ever said leg presses are better than squats or any variations of squats. it is still and exercise which a person can push huge amounts of weight with their quads. using a low rep scheme will most definitely build strength in your quads. for somebody that cant do squats or do not want to squat (and i can imagine 6'10 kevin durant would be weary about squating), leg presses will build strength.

your body doesn't know the difference between exercises. some use more stabalizing muscles than others, such as squats. leg press will isolate the quads, but still build good strength in them if thats what you do.

Chronz
12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
In bold.
Ummm that pic looks pretty one sided to me. You've honestly never heard that Yao has tree trunk legs? Thats a long standing cliche that Rockets announcers have been citing since day 1. Dream didn't get that recognition by them.

Just compare them to Shaq : http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/296067640_96aed3b287.jpg
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/25/xin_3703022314335481691715.jpg

His calves are practically the size of Rondo's thighs.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/jl-438646-albums-yao-ming-pic77370-yaolegs.jpg

His legs are disproportionately bigger than the rest of his body.
http://www.nba.com/media/yao_600_060728.jpg

Yao had a solid base and massive legs, in terms of size where he lacked was in upper body.

Kobe looks shredded right there BTW

C-Wick925
12-08-2012, 04:02 PM
How do you know he is good at eating chicken legs?

Chronz
12-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Back me up on this, how often have you heard Worrell mention those tree trunk legs and was he right for doing so?

sep11ie
12-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Back me up on this, how often have you heard Worrell mention those tree trunk legs and was he right for doing so?

Haven't heard him say it since the Chuck Wagon...

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
nobody ever said leg presses are better than squats or any variations of squats. it is still and exercise which a person can push huge amounts of weight with their quads. using a low rep scheme will most definitely build strength in your quads. for somebody that cant do squats or do not want to squat (and i can imagine 6'10 kevin durant would be weary about squating), leg presses will build strength.

your body doesn't know the difference between exercises. some use more stabalizing muscles than others, such as squats. leg press will isolate the quads, but still build good strength in them if thats what you do.

Of course your body knows the differences. You're utilizing different muscles and stressing the CNS at different rates.

RLundi
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM

?

No, this is wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. Your legs are two of the most important muscles/bones in the human body.

el hidalgo
12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Of course your body knows the differences. You're utilizing different muscles and stressing the CNS at different rates.

Yeah, i said youre utilizing different muscles. like i said, squats would use much more stabalizing muscles than leg press would. your quads won't know the difference between squats and leg presses.

Freakazoid
12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, i said youre utilizing different muscles. like i said, squats would use much more stabalizing muscles than leg press would. your quads won't know the difference between squats and leg presses.

Not really, research has shown that leg presses encourage greater hypertrophy than squats whereas squats encourage greater strength gains. So that subtle difference (most likely CNS) is noticeable.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Chronz, I think what you are trying to say is right, that core strength matters most. But for a lot of guys, that means having to add muscle to the legs, or body. Kevin Love is as wide as hell, and has huge legs, but if you watch him closely, its his balance that is the greatest benefactor to him, and that comes from what you are talking about. The core.

Lim
12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I guess I am the only one who thinks its remarkable that hes as good as he is with such skinny lanky weak legs. just imagine how much better he would be with strong legs?

I hope for his sake he gets his legs stronger or he will be at a serious risk of career threatening injury. at least imo.

Benaforce
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
The same reason Anderson Silva destroys everyone even though he has chicken legs. SKILL!

Chronz
12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
?

No, this is wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. Your legs are two of the most important muscles/bones in the human body.

Have you read the thread?

Chronz
12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Chronz, I think what you are trying to say is right, that core strength matters most. But for a lot of guys, that means having to add muscle to the legs, or body. Kevin Love is as wide as hell, and has huge legs, but if you watch him closely, its his balance that is the greatest benefactor to him, and that comes from what you are talking about. The core.
I dont see the need for mass in legs, not thighs just the lower extremities .

b@llhog24
12-08-2012, 11:19 PM

Gram got banned. :pity:

Bulls_fan90
12-08-2012, 11:54 PM

This post really rustled my jimmies. So much fail.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:11 AM
This post really rustled my jimmies. So much fail.

LOL

What is the least important body part to have a high mass in your opinion?

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 02:45 AM
I dont see the need for mass in legs, not thighs just the lower extremities .

Have you played sports at a very competitive level? Just an honest question. Core strength is THE essential in any sport. But you must realize that most don't get it without developing mass.

mjt20mik
12-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Chicken legs really only effect your center of gravity. I have chicken legs, and my balance is kind mediocre, but it hasn't really affected any other part of my game.

LA_Raiders
12-09-2012, 02:50 AM
he wont last long

Chronz
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Have you played sports at a very competitive level? Just an honest question. Core strength is THE essential in any sport. But you must realize that most don't get it without developing mass.

What are you talking about? How is core strength/flexibility related to your lower legs? What body part do you think needs mass the least, if its not legs then its the arms.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
What are you talking about? How is core strength/flexibility related to your lower legs? What body part do you think needs mass the least, if its not legs then its the arms.

Every persons body is different, so I can't answer that honestly. What I am saying, is some have natural core strength and balance, others need to develop certain parts of the body to get that core strength.

For me personally, martial arts gave me way more core strength than any sport I played, simply from the stretching, balance work, form work, and bag work. With that came bigger thighs, though my lower legs really didn't change much. That being said, my family has calf muscles. All of us. So while they may have gotten stronger, I didn't notice a mass difference.

Someone like Durant, I agree with you, that upper body strength would benefit him more. He struggles to fight off defenders at times, and having that upper body strength would be more beneficial to him because of this.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Chicken legs really only effect your center of gravity. I have chicken legs, and my balance is kind mediocre, but it hasn't really affected any other part of my game.

Interesting, no idea how that effects that but Wilt had skinny legs relative to his height and he had tremendous grace and balance. I think coordination, like hand eye coordination, is honed in your youth. I wonder if there are any testimonials from former players who had to get acclimated to a sudden increase in height.

Im no genius but when it comes to your center of gravity, Im pretty sure that is more dependent on the placement of your center base, in other words how long your legs are.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Every persons body is different, so I can't answer that honestly. What I am saying, is some have natural core strength and balance, others need to develop certain parts of the body to get that core strength.
Yea but what Im saying is that chicken legs arent that part of the body that require mass to achieve core flexibility/strength.

Like not everyone will have massive legs, its just not in their genes, what everyone can and does work on is their core. That is without a doubt the most important so that leaves either your guns or your lower legs as the remaining appendages.

So again, which do you think is LEAST important to have mass in? Are you telling me its different for every player because Im speaking uniformly. If you were crafting the perfect NBA body, I dont think the lower legs would be all that important in terms of mass.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Yea but what Im saying is that chicken legs arent that part of the body that require mass to achieve core flexibility/strength.

Like not everyone will have massive legs, its just not in their genes, what everyone can and does work on is their core. That is without a doubt the most important so that leaves either your guns or your lower legs as the remaining appendages.

So again, which do you think is LEAST important to have mass in? Are you telling me its different for every player because Im speaking uniformly. If you were crafting the perfect NBA body, I dont think the lower legs would be all that important in terms of mass.

I think the lower legs are the least important for mass. A wide frame, length, and upper body strength are the most important for basketball. If we switched the convo to the NFL, then yes, we now flip the script. Lower leg strength is essential in that sport.

And yes, its different for every player I believe. Its also different for positions.

Sssmush
12-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Durant's legs are much stronger than they look. They look skinny(er) than they normally would, because they are long. The muscles and joints look super strong though, and he is able to use his strength and agility really well.

Think of a crane or an egret killing a fish or a mouse. Those long skinny legs can be nightmarishly strong.