PDA

View Full Version : Kobe on pace to pass Hondo

JasonJohnHorn
12-07-2012, 08:23 PM
John Havlicek is an NBA legend and has more rings than anybody not named Bill Russell or Sam Jones (that's 8 if you want to know, which K.C. Jones also has, as does Tom Heinsohn). But, he apparently carries a not so prestigious NBA record: Most missed field goals. A 15-year career coupled with a less than stellar .439 from the field will do that to you. 13 417 missed FGs. But Hondo will not be holding that record for much longer.

Kobe Bryant, who recently celebrated his 30 000 career point, has also missed 12 606 so far putting himself about a season away from setting the new record.

And as for the elite 30 000-point club Kobe just joined, it took him more shots to reach 30 000 points than any other player in the history of the game!

Dr. J missed only 11 552 shots.
Karl Malone missed 12 682, a number which Kobe will eclipse this season, but Malone also has about 6 000 more career points than Kobe.
Kareem, who has the most career points has only missed 12 470 shots (that fewer missed shots than Kobe and 8 000 more points).
And finally, Jordan missed 12 345 shots (odd number combination, what are the odds tht Jordan would have missed 12345 shots on his career?).

So... Kobe has the WORST FG% of anybody in the 30 000 club and needed more shot to reach the plateau than any other player ever. And has himself on pace to hold the record for most missed shots EVER!!!!!

So... while I think it is extremely impressive that Kobe reached 30 000 career points, I think it's important to add a little context. He is an amazing athlete, one of the best players of his generation, and also on pace to put himself in the record books at least one more time before his career is over.

I wonder if the announcers in LAL will celebrate it at the dead ball following his breaking this record?

HouRealCoach
12-07-2012, 08:27 PM
That really doesn't matter.. He's streaky people know that

We won't remember that years from now

Bruno
12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
JJH- true. i read that article as well.

but- to add additional context, to the context you've provided-- free throws. Kobe has scored 25% of his total career points at the free-throw line, while shooting a career clip of 84%. That's 7,546 career points at the strike for Kobe Bryant.

That's why Kobe is still a more efficient overall scorer than Wilt Chamberlain. Free throws matter and TS% reflects that.

When guys play as long/log as many games as these greats do, they're bound to be the leaders in cumulative stats, both good and bad. That's why Wilt and Shaq are #1 and #2 in most free-throws missed in league history. Thats why Karl Malone is the all-time leader in career regular season turnovers. That's why Magic Johnson is the post-season leader in career turnovers. You see similar examples in the NFL with Favre and Elway.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites-nbateams/release/lakers/sites/lakers/files/121205kobe30k_infograph.jpg

Baller1
12-07-2012, 08:47 PM

but- to add additional context, to the context you've provided-- free throws. Kobe has scored 25% of his total career points at the free-throw line, while shooting a career clip of 84%. That's 7,546 career points at the strike for Kobe Bryant.

That's why Kobe is still a more efficient overall scorer than Wilt Chamberlain. Free throws matter and TS% reflects that.

When guys play as long/log as many games as these greats do, they're bound to be the leaders in cumulative stats, both good and bad. That's why Wilt and Shaq are #1 and #2 in most free-throws missed in league history. Thats why Karl Malone is the all-time leader in career regular season turnovers. That's why Magic Johnson is the post-season leader in career turnovers. You see similar examples in the NFL with Favre and Elway.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites-nbateams/release/lakers/sites/lakers/files/121205kobe30k_infograph.jpg

Pretty much what I wanted to say, but didn't want to take the time to do it... :laugh2: solid post.

Avenged
12-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Wow. Didn't know all of this myself.

Sorry JJH, it was a nice try yet again though.

jayjay33
12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
John Havlicek is an NBA legend and has more rings than anybody not named Bill Russell or Sam Jones (that's 8 if you want to know, which K.C. Jones also has, as does Tom Heinsohn). But, he apparently carries a not so prestigious NBA record: Most missed field goals. A 15-year career coupled with a less than stellar .439 from the field will do that to you. 13 417 missed FGs. But Hondo will not be holding that record for much longer.

Kobe Bryant, who recently celebrated his 30 000 career point, has also missed 12 606 so far putting himself about a season away from setting the new record.

And as for the elite 30 000-point club Kobe just joined, it took him more shots to reach 30 000 points than any other player in the history of the game!

Karl Malone missed 12 682, a number which Kobe will eclipse this season, but Malone also has about 6 000 more career points than Kobe.
Kareem, who has the most career points has only missed 12 470 shots (that fewer missed shots than Kobe and 8 000 more points).
And finally, Jordan missed 12 345 shots (odd number combination, what are the odds tht Jordan would have missed 12345 shots on his career?).

So... Kobe has the WORST FG% of anybody in the 30 000 club and needed more shot to reach the plateau than any other player ever. And has himself on pace to hold the record for most missed shots EVER!!!!!

So... while I think it is extremely impressive that Kobe reached 30 000 career points, I think it's important to add a little context. He is an amazing athlete, one of the best players of his generation, and also on pace to put himself in the record books at least one more time before his career is over.

I wonder if the announcers in LAL will celebrate it at the dead ball following his breaking this record?

Allow me to add a little more context. Since you let out the fact that kobe's a 6'6 guard. So you got jordan, kobe and nobody else who's not bulit like a tree........seems to me like that makes it even more impressive, not less.

asandhu23
12-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Before Hack A Shaq, there was Hack a Wilt.

Also Havlicek played in a era where .439 FG percent was rather good.

LAKERMANIA
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Give it a rest already

JasonJohnHorn
12-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Well put. But that said, Wilt would have been more efficient back then if they counted his 3pt hook shots ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0IC8Nwkd1w

Seriously though... you are absolutely right. There are things Kobe did that Wilt couldn't. Wilt's free-throw shooting was infamously awful.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

Keep on hating homie

PrettyBoyJ
12-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Way to rain on someone's parade. lol

C-Style
12-07-2012, 09:22 PM
He's in good company

Saad
12-07-2012, 09:23 PM
So you have 3 big men and the GOAT. Hm... So you are telling me that a 6'6 guard had a crappier FG% than players that played in the paint and MJ? No way! :clap:

Oh and agree with Bruno ;)

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Kobe is not a Top 7 All-Time scorer and he is well outside the Top 10 in terms of best offensive anchors.

His ability to stay healthy and keep his PPG up over many seasons is impressive but it doesn't really mean that much in terms of his rankability in any category.

He will retire behind Malone in that respect who most people have outside their Top 10 and many have outside their Top 15.

C-Style
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Kobe is not a Top 7 All-Time scorer and he is well outside the Top 10 in terms of best offensive anchors.

His ability to stay healthy and keep his PPG up over many seasons is impressive but it doesn't really mean that much in terms of his rankability in any category.

He will retire behind Malone in that respect who most people have outside their Top 10 and many have outside their Top 15.

Shaq plays no defense and Wade is done.

asandhu23
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Well put. But that said, Wilt would have been more efficient back then if they counted his 3pt hook shots ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0IC8Nwkd1w

Seriously though... you are absolutely right. There are things Kobe did that Wilt couldn't. Wilt's free-throw shooting was infamously awful.

Most tall players can't shoot well. The angle just isn't there.

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:35 PM

#1. Shaq was an elite defensive anchor throughout his Young & Prime years.
He scores highly by all regular and advanced defensive metrics and stated that he took pride in being a two way player.

#2. Wade is far from done.
He has had a number of dominant games this year and some horrid stinkers.
14 games is way too small a sample size to make that sort of judgment call.

ThunderousDemon
12-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Wade is definitely done though.

LAKERMANIA
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
#1. Shaq was an elite defensive anchor throughout his Young & Prime years.
He scores highly by all regular and advanced defensive metrics and stated that he took pride in being a two way player.

#2. Wade is far from done.
He has had a number of dominant games this year and some horrid stinkers.
14 games is way too small a sample size to make that sort of judgment call.

Authority

Hearsay

jayjay33
12-07-2012, 09:44 PM

No he won't, only a VERY small amount of people share your ridiculous opinion. Kobe will retire universally acknowledge as a top 5 player. An you will just have to be mad.....lol

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Kobe will retire universally acknowledge as a top 5 player. An you will just have to be mad.....lol
lol... the majority's opinion (which is just an opinion) has Kobe around 9-15.
He is never going to approach 5 except in the minds of his most delusional homers.

His best 6-12 years pale in comparison to many other All-Time greats.
No amount of extra longevity will make up for that.

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Anyways, have any of you guys seen how awful Wade has been? His game is nothing without athleticism. Without any true fundamentals and a poor jumpshot the guy is clearly done.

So yeah, Wade is done.

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Without any true fundamentals.
Wade has excellent fundamentals.
His game is not reliant on athleticism the way you think it is.

C-Style
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Haha Shaq just said he wasn't a defensive player last night lol and yes Wade is done as far as top 5 players go

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
It's crazy how much Kobe is better than Wade now even with all the minutes hes played throughout his career.

Kobe > Wade always and forever.

It's clear Wade is done :)

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Wade is done as far as top 5 players go
You are basing this on a 14 game sample size?
He has looked like a Top 5 player in many games this year.

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Kobe > Wade always and forever.

Except for 05, 06, 09, 10, 11 & 12.

:)

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Haha Shaq just said he wasn't a defensive player last night lol and yes Wade is done as far as top 5 players go

Done as top 10 as well and he will only continue to decline. Too late for him to develop a different array of shots, midrange shot, low and high post game, or a skilled handle without carrying the ball. It's kind of sad to see what a girl he looks like now complaining when the refs aren't falling for his flops anymore.

Wade is done.

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Done as top 10 as well and he will only continue to decline. Too late for him to develop a different array of shots, midrange shot, low and high post game, or a skilled handle without carrying the ball. It's kind of sad to see what a girl he looks like now complaining when the refs aren't falling for his flops anymore.

Wade is done.
What a troll. :facepalm:

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Except for 2011

Ok I'll give you that one year :)

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Wade is done.

I agree!

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok I'll give you those six years :)

You can "give me" whatever years you want but Wade was better then Kobe in the years I listed.

Wade is one of the best passers in the game and has one of the best post games in the league for a guard.
He also has amazing handles, balance and a number of floaters and patented moves he can use to get off high percentage shots near the rim and in the mid-range area.

Wade is far from being "done" as a Top 10 player and may be Top 5 again by season end.

"If" Kobe is more skilled then Wade (debatable) it is only by a very small margin.
Wade is far more skilled then Kobe in many areas of basketball.

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Wade is no where near Kobe as a complete player. I remember Wade referring to Kobe as a "master" of the game and something he hopes to be one day if he could develop in many other areas of the game as Kobe has.

I agree! I remember that video as well!

LAKERMANIA
12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
You can "give me" whatever years you want but Wade was better then Kobe in the years I listed.

Wade is one of the best passers in the game and has one of the best post games in the league for a guard.
He also has amazing handles, balance and a number of floaters and patented moves he can use to get off high percentage shots near the rim and in the mid-range area.

Wade is far from being "done" as a Top 10 player and may be Top 5 again by season end.

"If" Kobe is more skilled then Wade (debatable) it is only by a very small margin.
Wade is far more skilled then Kobe in many areas of basketball.
You're making a fool out of yourself

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree! I remember that video as well!

Haha keep on trollin man :rolleyes:. I am out.

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
You're making a fool out of yourself
Guess what? You only speak for yourself.
Wade is one of the best passers in the game.

Supreme LA
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Haha keep on trollin man :rolleyes:. It seems I've finally met my match when it comes to trolling and bashing other players. You win. I am out.

LAKERMANIA
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Guess what? You only speak for yourself.
Wade is one of the best passers in the game.

Keep posting what you're posting.. Just trying to help you out..

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Keep posting what you're posting.. Just trying to help you out..

I doubt that... either way I don't think what I said is a far-fetched opinion.
Wade is an amazing passer and one of the best in the league outside of the PG position.

I can respect if you feel differently but I'd frankly be surprised if you did.
Can you name me 5 non-pg's who are better passers then Wade?

LAKERMANIA
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Wade is an amazing passer and one of the best in the league outside of the PG position.

Who is better in the post, Kobe or Wade?

Andrew32
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Who is better in the post, Kobe or Wade?

Kobe...

Wade still has a very good post game for a guard.
Can't think of that many better.

bagwell368
12-07-2012, 10:34 PM
.439 wasn't too bad for that era for a guy that shot from all over the floor. He was still a volume shooter but less then if he had that now.

He was also a very good FT shooter: .815

NBAfan4life
12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Andrew32 I have no beef with you, even some of your posts without Kobe are rather insightful. Heck even some of your posts bashing Kobe (which seem to be primarily what you post about) are insightful. Every time I see you post in a thread pertaining to Kobe or Wade I think there he goes again. So while I don't think you're making a fool of yourself by saying Wade is a great passer like Lakermania is implying I do think you look rather foolish by keeping up the fight. Anyone who has spent any time here knows exactly how you feel. At this point you're just coming off as a hater. You're looking as stupid as the Kobe fans who think Kobe is as good as Jordan in your own right.

Stuckey#3
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Are you delusional? I know there are "haters" but to suggest Mamba isn't top ten is batshit crazy.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Except for 05, 06, 09, 10, 11 & 12.

You always give us all a good laugh haha

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-07-2012, 11:17 PM

You are no one to call someone a troll

jayjay33
12-07-2012, 11:30 PM
lol... the majority's opinion (which is just an opinion) has Kobe around 9-15.
He is never going to approach 5 except in the minds of his most delusional homers.

His best 6-12 years pale in comparison to many other All-Time greats.
No amount of extra longevity will make up for that.

lol....... kobe is almost always rated in the 5 -8 range. Even on here with many the kobe haters like you, it's mostly 7-8. An he's still not done. you must be thinking of shaq, with 9-15. An everyone on here agrees you are by far the most delusional poster on here so that kinda goes with my point....that your utterly clueless.

Swift Game
12-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Wade will probably be like Stackhouse and MGrady at Kobe's Age now...Just saying.

Chronz
12-07-2012, 11:58 PM
You always give us all a good laugh haha
I seen alot of Kobe fans laughing but only a few of you actually try to engage in a debate.

What gives?

TheNumber37
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
hasn't the game sped up? higher scoring, more possessions, more shots

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
I seen alot of Kobe fans laughing but only a few of you actually try to engage in a debate.

What gives?

You debates are usually bad so why argue your biased not saying I'm not btw

beliges
12-08-2012, 12:35 AM

Kobe reached 30k in fewer minutes plated than.anyone ever outside of mj.

ShowtimeNo24
12-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Yeah, post players having a better FG% than a perimeter shooter, what a shock!

Money_23
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM

well the OP got destroyed fast. haha

Chronz
12-08-2012, 01:16 AM
You debates are usually bad so why argue your biased not saying I'm not btw
So then we are on a level playing field. Why not play ball?

nickdymez
12-08-2012, 02:50 AM

I cant believe YOU said this :facepalm:

DreamShaker
12-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Not really shocked by this. Kobe is still one of the greatest scorers ever.

Mr_Jones
12-08-2012, 03:07 AM

Probably. They always do.

Mr_Jones
12-08-2012, 03:12 AM

Lol :clap:

jerellh528
12-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Wow lol the hate is so evident.. He's bound to break that record though, lets think logically here.

DumDum
12-08-2012, 04:13 AM
Jelly bean shoots too much their I said so ?

asandhu23
12-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Hondo was also a great defender. His most famous play is the one where he stole the ball. lol.

STA_PLAR
12-08-2012, 04:52 AM
I hate Kobe too lol but this is pathetic!

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
we all know who hondo really is... Rajon Rondo. ask the Boston mayor.

didnt realize Rondo, urmm i mean Hondo scored that many points :confused:

beliges
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
To add further context to this discussion, None of the all time greats outside of maybe Kareem had the ability to stay in the league and perform at an elite level for such a long tiime. Bird couldnt do it, Magic couldnt do it and neither could MJ. Theres a reason nobody outside of MJ is a perimeter player on the 30K list. They are all big men and a PF.

Surely, the longer you play, the more shots you will miss. Kobe's durability and longevity has already defied the history of this game as we have never seen a perimeter player perform at such an elite level so far down his career. As I stated, its remarkable to achieve something no other perimeter player that has ever played in this league has achieved. You have a top 5 player in the league in his 17th NBA season. I cannot think when that was achieved in the past.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:36 PM
To add further context to this discussion, None of the all time greats outside of maybe Kareem had the ability to stay in the league and perform at an elite level for such a long tiime. Bird couldnt do it, Magic couldnt do it and neither could MJ. Theres a reason nobody outside of MJ is a perimeter player on the 30K list. They are all big men and a PF.

Surely, the longer you play, the more shots you will miss. Kobe's durability and longevity has already defied the history of this game as we have never seen a perimeter player perform at such an elite level so far down his career. As I stated, its remarkable to achieve something no other perimeter player that has ever played in this league has achieved. You have a top 5 player in the league in his 17th NBA season. I cannot think when that was achieved in the past.

yep. This is why he is in my top 10 ever list. Not because of his dominance during a peak, but his amazing longevity at such a high level. It's ridiculous. He should have been a role player by now.

beliges
12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
yep. This is why he is in my top 10 ever list. Not because of his dominance during a peak, but his amazing longevity at such a high level. It's ridiculous. He should have been a role player by now.

I think his longevity will prove to be his greatest achievement once its all said and done as its something that was never accomplished by any of the former greats. However, I still would argue that his "prime/peak" was just as impressive as anyone else in the top 10. His career numbers from 2000-current are simply spectacular, and you couple that with the fact that he was one of the best perimeter defenders of his era, it says a lot. During his prime, he was probably the #1 or #2 greatest scorer to ever play the game of basketball. Not sure why people are trying to downplay his peak. He did not achieve much team success during his most dominant statistical season, but his individual numbers were more than sufficient to put his prime up there with the other great perimeter players like Bird, Magic and MJ.

Matter.
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Hey Buddy, you think Wade is better than Kobe at everything?

Matter.
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I think his longevity will prove to be his greatest achievement once its all said and done as its something that was never accomplished by any of the former greats. However, I still would argue that his "prime/peak" was just as impressive as anyone else in the top 10. His career numbers from 2000-current are simply spectacular, and you couple that with the fact that he was one of the best perimeter defenders of his era, it says a lot. During his prime, he was probably the #1 or #2 greatest scorer to ever play the game of basketball. Not sure why people are trying to downplay his peak. He did not achieve much team success during his most dominant statistical season, but his individual numbers were more than sufficient to put his prime up there with the other great perimeter players like Bird, Magic and MJ.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

GREATNESS ONE
12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
/Bruno, Owned.

Shark
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Stupid article stupid thread. Why do people continue to bring up such pointless and piss poor comparisons between players. Kobe is a SG, his baskets do not come from under the Rim like Karl Malone and Kareems and whoever else you wanna mention. If you want to compare real stats and missed FG. Why don't you do some real research and find out how many FG's he missed within 5 feet of the basket.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 02:13 PM

I can't pinpoint a single year in which Kobe was the best player, no argument, in his entire career. His best season, individually, his team wasn't any good. His peak just doesn't measure up against some others in that top 10, which is why he is stuck around 8-9, despite that longevity though.

That is what I am getting at.

JNA17
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Kobe is in his 17th season and still playing as a top 5 player in the league and the best SG in the league. It's no surprise that he would break mishap records like that, like Farve did with INTs or as someone else said Magic with turnovers in the playoffs and Malone and Wilt with most missed free throws.

The very fact that Kobe Bryant is still one of the best players in the league at the age of 34, and in his 17th year in the league while 95% of elite/all star caliber players have crapped out much earlier in their careers is unheard of. You see players like Wade who have been in the league for not even 10 years and barley 30 and already beginning to be washed up.

beliges
12-08-2012, 03:37 PM

I can't pinpoint a single year in which Kobe was the best player, no argument, in his entire career. His best season, individually, his team wasn't any good. His peak just doesn't measure up against some others in that top 10, which is why he is stuck around 8-9, despite that longevity though.

That is what I am getting at.

Lol..I can pinpoint an entire era/decade where he was the best player. I can make arguments for multiple years that I thought Kobe was the best player. But he is clearly considered the best player of his era and the 00-10 decade.

Andrew32
12-08-2012, 04:05 PM
But he is clearly considered the best player of his era.
What is "his era"? and no he clearly isn't.

Jordan > Shaq > Duncan > Future Lebron > Hakeem > Kobe/KG/Dirk/Malone

Kobe had two years (07 and 08) where you could argue he was the best player in the league.
That is it.

Not sure I'd personally give him 07 and in 08 I felt CP3 was better.