PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams' Agent Inquires About Trade Possibility

spreadeagle
12-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Derrick Williams' agent, Rob Pelinka, has not formally requested a trade for his client, but he has asked the Minnesota Timberwovles about the possibility of parting ways due to lack of playing time, according to a team source.

The Timberwolves, however, let Pelinka know that they will first wait to see how Williams and Ricky Rubio mesh on the court once Rubio returns from a torn ACL.

"We told him to wait for our team to come together," the source said. "Wait for Derrick to play with Ricky (Rubio). When they played together last year, Williams benefited greatly."

Williams, the No. 2 pick in 2011 NBA Draft, is averaging nine points in just 19.9 minutes per game this season, when he has sat three times because of coach Rick Adelman's decision.

It is most likely that Rubio will return for a home game on Dec. 15 against the Dallas Mavericks.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_Scoops_Derrick_Williams_agent_has_asked_Wolves _about_trade120712

LAKobeBryant
12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Lala

Chronz
12-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Yea nobody saw this one coming. But they were right about his performance with Rubio, it still tells us something about him.

Hawkeye15
12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Yea nobody saw this one coming. But they were right about his performance with Rubio, it still tells us something about him.

for sure, on both statements. Williams simply isn't a SF, and will never find time on the roster at PF with Love there. I mean, you were so inconsistent last year Derrick, we signed AK for $10/year.

Either play better, or yes, you are gonzo. With Rubio, he does play better, because he gets set plays for lobs, and easy shots at the rim.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
To Lakers - Bargnani
To Raptors - Williams
To Timberwolves - Gasol

Add more pieces. Get it done.

NoahH
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
To Lakers - Bargnani
To Raptors - Williams
To Timberwolves - Gasol

IDK if the Wolves have the pieces to make cap space for Gasol

ManRam
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Redick for Williams. Let's get it did.

HouRealCoach
12-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Just to think of all the trades they turned down to draft him with that 2nd spot

AddiX
Whenever I see him play it seems like he thinks he's Kobe.

smith&wesson
i dunno if the rumours were true but i thought pekovic and williams would have been a great trade for pau...

smith&wesson
12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
the t.wolves have terrible luck...

if rubio was healthy their team would look soo different.

AddiX
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
the t.wolves have terrible luck...

if rubio was healthy their team would look soo different.

Bad drafting and spending countless hours acquiring awful "assets" isn't bad luck, it's bad management.

For years all I heard from minny fans was how great there assets were, they got jack **** for those assets.

sep11ie
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I thought they had a good offer for Gasol...

Twins Fanatic
12-07-2012, 07:21 PM
To Lakers - Bargnani
To Raptors - Williams
To Timberwolves - Gasol

Pek is a good piece and the wolves are willing to go over the cap to make this happen.

NoahH
12-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Bad drafting and spending countless hours acquiring awful "assets" isn't bad luck, it's bad management.

For years all I heard from minny fans was how great there assets were, they got jack **** for those assets.

Trade Lawson, draft Flynn over Curry. That's just BAD LUCK Minnesota isnt it!! haha

JasonJohnHorn
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Well... it's nice to hear the team hasn't given up on him... but at the same time, I understand D-Will 2.0's concern. He is a young player, he's playing behind the best PF in the game, he has a short time to prove himself and earn a good contract when his rookie contract runs out, and he wants a chance to see how his game develops.

Hopefully the two sides can work out something that will be mutually benificial for them.

Pluvious
12-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Lakers get:

Gallanari (from Denver)
Mullens (from Bobcats) 12 pts, 8 rebounds stretch PF/C
Diop (7 million expiring)

give up: Gasol, Sacre, Odom
Why? They now have a great bench and floor spacing. Tons of shooting but still a good rebounding team.

Minnesota gets:

Gasol
Sacre
Odom

give up: Williams, Barea, Pekovic, 2 first round picks
Why? To get Gasol to pair with Love without really losing key players.

Bobcats get:

Pekovic (improvement at Center position..to help build around)
Brandon Roy (injured, they have take and eat his 2 year deal of 5 mil per)
2 Minnesota first round picks
Denver first round pick

give up: Mullens, Diop, 1st round pick
Why? Pekovic gives them a center that is legitimate and should flourish. They get 3 first round picks to use instead of the 1...in a draft that is not supposed to be top heavy.

Denver gets:

Derrick Williams
Barea
Bobcats first round pick

give up: Gallanari, 1st round pick

They get the Bobcats top pick plus two players who should do well in their system.

Pluvious
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I thought they had a good offer for Gasol...

Pekovic doesn't make sense with the Lakers. Not sure Williams does either.

mamba24
12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Pekovic doesn't make sense with the Lakers. Not sure Williams does either.

Williams does make sense with the Lakers. They need an athletic guy like him for sure. You're right about Pek tho. THere would need to be a 3rd team in play where he could go that would maybe give the Lakers a pure shooter that they need... Maybe send Pek to Atlanta and Korver to LA

Lakers get:

D-Will
Korver

Minny gets:

Pau

Atlanta gets:

Pek

JesusWears24
12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Derrick Williams is a scrub. Even with Rubio the T Wolves are going nowhere

JesusWears24
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
:facepalm:
Williams does make sense with the Lakers. They need an athletic guy like him for sure. You're right about Pek tho. THere would need to be a 3rd team in play where he could go that would maybe give the Lakers a pure shooter that they need... Maybe send Pek to Atlanta and Korver to LA

Lakers get:

D-Will
Korver

Minny gets:

Pau

Atlanta gets:

Pek

aussie
12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
doesnt Odom play for the Clips?

*Silver&Black*
12-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Lakers get:

D-Will
Korver

Minny gets:

Pau

Atlanta gets:

Pek

We give up Korver for Pek? Only Korver?

Wolves get screwed in this trade.

topdog
12-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Lakers get:

Gallanari (from Denver)

Why? They now have a great bench and floor spacing. Tons of shooting but still a good rebounding team.

Minnesota gets:

Gasol
Sacre
Odom

Bobcats get:

Denver first round pick

Why? Pekovic gives them a center that is legitimate and should flourish. They get 3 first round picks to use instead of the 1...in a draft that is not supposed to be top heavy.

Denver gets:

Derrick Williams
Barea
Bobcats first round pick

They get the Bobcats top pick plus two players who should do well in their system.

Great joke! :laugh: Many Wolves fans think including Pek is too much and you want to add on picks as well? Also, with all this movement, I feel like you have made all four teams worse.

topdog
12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Trade Lawson, draft Flynn over Curry. That's just BAD LUCK Minnesota isnt it!! haha

Curry who was slight and people were worried about his ankles? Yeah, those concerns are gone, right?

I thought at the time that Flynn was a terrible pick, but people tend to forget that Kahn got the job about a month before the draft and had 4 first round picks to make in a "weak" draft. By no means is Kahn good at drafting. Wolves fans know that much.

But, there was some bad luck involved as well as that bad timing. For instance, the Wolves traded the pick they got for Lawson for Martell Webster only Portland didn't disclose that he had a bad back. The Wolves finally get a #2 pick for the 1st time in franchise history only for Barnes, Sullinger, Jones and the band staying in school because of the lockout.

ManRam
12-07-2012, 09:21 PM
doesnt Odom play for the Clips?

I did a double take too. Assuming he means Darius Johnson-Odom.

I can't imagine Minny parting with 2 first round picks for Pau.

Pluvious
12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Great joke! :laugh: Many Wolves fans think including Pek is too much and you want to add on picks as well? Also, with all this movement, I feel like you have made all four teams worse.

I appreciate the Wolves' fans take. Keep in mind the Lakers front office (according to reports) has already said No to Williams/Pekovic. My reason for including both was:

1) I feel like Minnesota will be a playoff team and really start winning games at a consistent pace with Gasol, Love back, Rubio back, and Buddinger back. So the picks will not be "huge" picks.

2) Gasol really seems like a perfect fit for them. An unselfish post player to help initiate offense that has played with Rubio before.

3) Keeps Love happy...which is the major thing.

4) Gasol's large contract comes off the books in 2 years and it can be re-negotiated for much less (not many quality players will make less over time) or it will become a large expiring that Minnesota can use.

5) Gasol is not old. 32. There is no reason he cannot play for 5-6 years at a relatively high level.

6) He has championship experience...which should be very important for a team like Minnesota.

Anyway, I understand if you disagree. :) You watch the team more than me I am sure.

As far as the comment that everyone gets worse. I'm not sure what that means? Gets worse now or in the future? If its now...then how do the Bobcats get worse getting Pekovic for Mullens?

GiantsSwaGG
12-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Who?

Sactown
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
for sure, on both statements. Williams simply isn't a SF, and will never find time on the roster at PF with Love there. I mean, you were so inconsistent last year Derrick, we signed AK for $10/year.

Either play better, or yes, you are gonzo. With Rubio, he does play better, because he gets set plays for lobs, and easy shots at the rim.

It's pretty rare for a rookie to be consistent for a whole season... Seems a bit unfair to ask that of him, but yes the ideal situation is for him to be dealt to another team for some veteran leadership and a more consistent player at maybe the 2? I think they should look at Orlando for maybe a swap with Afflalo, to give them some more young talent, or maybe to the Suns since they have SF/PF issues. Seems like those are two teams that would be interested in getting younger.

Haven't seen him play, but if it's true he can't play SF, he's going to have trouble in this league being 6'7 (I think)

majmarcus
12-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Lakers need to get this guy. Since he is seeking more playing time and we don't have ish behind Metta. Acquiring DW is a no brainer. EBanks, Blake or Duhon for DW. Trade Gasol arse for Ryan Anderson & we're good.

Now I know Minn won't go for that one but still dammit

Sactown
12-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Lakers need to get this guy. Since he is seeking more playing time and we don't have ish behind Metta. Acquiring DW is a no brainer. EBanks, Blake or Duhon for DW. Trade Gasol arse for Ryan Anderson & we're good.

Now I know Minn won't go for that one but still dammit

Lol you must be kidding, Minny isn't going to trade a 2nd round pick after one season for LA's garbage... and I doubt New Orleans want's to trade a younger, just as productive PF for an older overpaid one.. Keep dreaming.

majmarcus
12-07-2012, 10:07 PM
My dreams are all I have buddy. But the real part about I said is THE LAKERS NEED TO TRY TO GET THE YOUNG FELLA!!!!

Trueblue2
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Lakers get:

Gallanari (from Denver)

Minnesota gets:

Gasol
Sacre
Odom

Bobcats get:

Denver first round pick

Denver gets:

Derrick Williams
Barea
Bobcats first round pick

Pekovic, Roy, and 3 1sts for diop and mullens... seems legit.

topdog
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I appreciate the Wolves' fans take. Keep in mind the Lakers front office (according to reports) has already said No to Williams/Pekovic. My reason for including both was:

1) I feel like Minnesota will be a playoff team and really start winning games at a consistent pace with Gasol, Love back, Rubio back, and Buddinger back. So the picks will not be "huge" picks.

Nonetheless, we had a GM who shelled out picks like candy and that screwed us for years. Not to mention that the Lakers and Denver managed to give up distant lottery-protected picks for an elite player in Howard and Gasol is no D12.

2) Gasol really seems like a perfect fit for them. An unselfish post player to help initiate offense that has played with Rubio before.

He would be nice, but Pek is no slouch and I just don't think Gasol makes the team worlds better.

3) Keeps Love happy...which is the major thing.

Love's locked up for a couple more years and he already has a roster to compete. If he's not happy, he can go kick rocks.

4) Gasol's large contract comes off the books in 2 years and it can be re-negotiated for much less (not many quality players will make less over time) or it will become a large expiring that Minnesota can use.

Who knows what you're really getting though? He's a better player than what he's currently producing, but he also is regressing with age. I'd rather use assets/cap on a quality wing without an injury history (alluding to Roy & AK).

5) Gasol is not old. 32. There is no reason he cannot play for 5-6 years at a relatively high level.

He's also a skilled 7 footer which bodes well for aging, but he's going to regress (whereas Pek will improve) and there are no guarantees as far as him re-signing for cheap.

6) He has championship experience...which should be very important for a team like Minnesota.

So does Adam Morrison :p

Anyway, I understand if you disagree. :) You watch the team more than me I am sure.

As far as the comment that everyone gets worse. I'm not sure what that means? Gets worse now or in the future? If its now...then how do the Bobcats get worse getting Pekovic for Mullens?

I don't really see how any of these teams get what they want for where they are. Yes, Pek is a good player but do you want to have to re-sign him if you're Charlotte or would you rather keep your high pick? Denver isn't looking to re-build. LA isn't robbing anyone here so they won't go for it (even though Gallinari is a nice player and plays some 4) and Minnesota has no reason to give up a #2 pick in his sophomore year, a productive center, a nice backup PG and 2 future firsts to make a slight upgrade at a position they don't have an obvious need.

Not trying to be rude either, I just thought it was ludicrous what you proposed the Wolves give up.

GiantsSwaGG
12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Why would anyone trade for this scrub

AddiX
12-07-2012, 11:06 PM
SMH, minny fans coming up with 3-4 team trades all for Derrick Williams.

No one is going through that kind of trouble for him.

topdog
12-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Which Minny fans? I'm the only one in here and haven't proposed any trades (which would realistically involve 3 teams max).

Sota4Ever
12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I haven't seen one trade proposed in this thread by a minny fan...

Sota4Ever
12-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Derrick Williams is a scrub. Even with Rubio the T Wolves are going nowhere

Well alright..

topdog
12-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Why would anyone trade for this scrub

Don't be that guy. He's averaging 9pts. 5rebs. and nearly a block a game with a PER of 14.1 (compare that to the other members of his draft class). Yes, he's only shooting 39% but he's shooting 38% from 3.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Redick for Williams. Let's get it did.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

Sactown
12-08-2012, 12:42 AM
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

You know you want Jimmer Fredettte

Pluvious
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Nonetheless, we had a GM who shelled out picks like candy and that screwed us for years. Not to mention that the Lakers and Denver managed to give up distant lottery-protected picks for an elite player in Howard and Gasol is no D12.

He would be nice, but Pek is no slouch and I just don't think Gasol makes the team worlds better.

Love's locked up for a couple more years and he already has a roster to compete. If he's not happy, he can go kick rocks.

Who knows what you're really getting though? He's a better player than what he's currently producing, but he also is regressing with age. I'd rather use assets/cap on a quality wing without an injury history (alluding to Roy & AK).

He's also a skilled 7 footer which bodes well for aging, but he's going to regress (whereas Pek will improve) and there are no guarantees as far as him re-signing for cheap.

So does Adam Morrison :p

I don't really see how any of these teams get what they want for where they are. Yes, Pek is a good player but do you want to have to re-sign him if you're Charlotte or would you rather keep your high pick? Denver isn't looking to re-build. LA isn't robbing anyone here so they won't go for it (even though Gallinari is a nice player and plays some 4) and Minnesota has no reason to give up a #2 pick in his sophomore year, a productive center, a nice backup PG and 2 future firsts to make a slight upgrade at a position they don't have an obvious need.

Not trying to be rude either, I just thought it was ludicrous what you proposed the Wolves give up.

Ludicrous? And you said Lol as well. I just think you're a fan of your team. Williams DNP last night, Barea will get dnps when Rubio comes back, and Pekovic 4 pts last night. Gasol was still 17-10 last season playing alongside another post player in Bynum. He would be the #1 post option in Minnesota.

I think you're wrong. :)

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:46 PM

what is your problem with Minnesota fans? You seem to bash them every chance you get..

I am sorry all 14 of us annoy you. Thank god the 1587 Knicks fans here are so easy to get along with

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:46 PM
You know you want Jimmer Fredettte

gross

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:48 PM
It's pretty rare for a rookie to be consistent for a whole season... Seems a bit unfair to ask that of him, but yes the ideal situation is for him to be dealt to another team for some veteran leadership and a more consistent player at maybe the 2? I think they should look at Orlando for maybe a swap with Afflalo, to give them some more young talent, or maybe to the Suns since they have SF/PF issues. Seems like those are two teams that would be interested in getting younger.

Haven't seen him play, but if it's true he can't play SF, he's going to have trouble in this league being 6'7 (I think)

at least play with consistent effort. That is all you can ask of a young player.

I think the team you are looking at is right, but Reddick is the guy they should target. Orlando doesn't want to pay him to stick around a rebuilding project, and he would fit perfect in Adelman's corner offense with Rubio.

RipCity32
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Prince and Maxiell for Williams

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Prince and Maxiell for Williams

no way on Prince's deal. Why on earth did you guys re-sign him for so long?

RipCity32
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
no way on Prince's deal. Why on earth did you guys re-sign him for so long?

Joe Dumars tends to overvalue his players and doesnt want to let go and now Prince is taking up 33 mpg on a roster that should be developing young guys more.

DoMeFavors
12-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Marshon Brooks for Derrick Williams

bucketss
12-08-2012, 04:05 PM
derozan and keliza for williams and ridnour plus a first

Angry Norwegian
12-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Another very appealing proposal for the Wolves.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:20 PM

that might be a win-win for both teams. Both are behind guys they just won't get a ton of time on the court because of, and both teams have a need.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Joe Dumars tends to overvalue his players and doesnt want to let go and now Prince is taking up 33 mpg on a roster that should be developing young guys more.

Agreed. I was surprised not by the signing, but the length of guaranteed money.

topdog
12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Ludicrous? And you said Lol as well. I just think you're a fan of your team. Williams DNP last night, Barea will get dnps when Rubio comes back, and Pekovic 4 pts last night. Gasol was still 17-10 last season playing alongside another post player in Bynum. He would be the #1 post option in Minnesota.

I think you're wrong. :)

:laugh2: I am a fan of my team, but I also have seen what Rubio does for these players.

Williams may have gotten a DNP but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value on potential or in his more limited role where his PER has risen to 14.1 and his 3pt shooting is up to 38%.

Barea actually is likely the backup when Rubio comes back with Ridnour seeming to be the odd-man-out unless Rick Adelman does something strange.

Pek had an off night last night. He's not Gasol, but he is a handful for other defenses, makes free throws and got amazing post position with Rubio out there last year.

I like Gasol, but it doesn't make sense to give up a good center and a bunch of young pieces for a guy who is past his prime and who will command $40M over the next 2 years while we really need better (or healthy) wing play.

bucketss
12-08-2012, 04:45 PM
can dwilliams play sf?

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 04:46 PM
can dwilliams play sf?

he can, but long term, he will end up a PF. As he ages basically.

Sactown
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
]at least play with consistent effort.[/B] That is all you can ask of a young player.

I think the team you are looking at is right, but Reddick is the guy they should target. Orlando doesn't want to pay him to stick around a rebuilding project, and he would fit perfect in Adelman's corner offense with Rubio.

It's hard when you never know when you're going to be called on, especially as the #2 pick in the draft.. Obviously that's partially his fault, but than again, last year the games were so close because of the lockout, I can only imagine it was twice as hard on rookies that year than any other year. Of course these are lots of excuses for a player who should of probably played better, but hey, I still give him the benefit of the doubt to develop into a decent NBA player, but his size and skill set is the worst kind of tweener IMO.. Hopefully they can get something for him, I always thought he'd have a hard time adjusting.

also as you can see I kind of sway on my opinion on him, because I doubt he's going to ever be a legit starter, but I don't want to say that considering his age lol.

spreadeagle
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
id love if the Raps nabbed him up, id trade Ross for him. People say he cant play the 3 though and that's what we need....

topdog
12-08-2012, 06:19 PM
id love if the Raps nabbed him up, id trade Ross for him. People say he cant play the 3 though and that's what we need....

I'd do that trade as a Wolves fan. We debate whether he can play the 3 in the Wolves forum. I think he can do a decent job and he got some run at it in pre-season. I don't think I'm out of line in paraphrasing Hawkeye as saying that D-Dub can get away with playing the 3 for a few years, but eventually will slow and will be stuck at the 4.

Personally, I think Williams can be a much better player somewhere else where he has more opportunities and I would like the Wolves to find a young SG to grow with our core.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 06:32 PM
It's hard when you never know when you're going to be called on, especially as the #2 pick in the draft.. Obviously that's partially his fault, but than again, last year the games were so close because of the lockout, I can only imagine it was twice as hard on rookies that year than any other year. Of course these are lots of excuses for a player who should of probably played better, but hey, I still give him the benefit of the doubt to develop into a decent NBA player, but his size and skill set is the worst kind of tweener IMO.. Hopefully they can get something for him, I always thought he'd have a hard time adjusting.

also as you can see I kind of sway on my opinion on him, because I doubt he's going to ever be a legit starter, but I don't want to say that considering his age lol.

watch him play, then get back to me. Not meaning that in a bad way, I am serious. He is so inconsistent, even on a possession by possession basis. He is unsure, hesitant, and just a liability at times. Rubio will help his game however, he did last season.

spreadeagle
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I'd do that trade as a Wolves fan. We debate whether he can play the 3 in the Wolves forum. I think he can do a decent job and he got some run at it in pre-season. I don't think I'm out of line in paraphrasing Hawkeye as saying that D-Dub can get away with playing the 3 for a few years, but eventually will slow and will be stuck at the 4.

Personally, I think Williams can be a much better player somewhere else where he has more opportunities and I would like the Wolves to find a young SG to grow with our core.

Ross isnt getting any minz with Derozan starting similar problems with Williams and Love, lets make this trade happen lol

topdog
12-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Ross isnt getting any minz with Derozan starting similar problems with Williams and Love, lets make this trade happen lol

I'll talk to Kahn at his Chanukkah party. Maybe you can call up Bryan Colangelo's dad and have Jerry make him make the trade. :p