PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant Grew Up Modeling Game After Larry Bird

JordansBulls
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2012/12/05/kevin-durant-game-is-evolving-and-so-is-his-marketability/1748853/

"Larry Bird is a guy I like watching," Durant said with a smile. "I watch film on him all the time. I like his approach to the game when he was playing. When I first started playing the game, my Godfather Taras Brown who taught me how to play he always was a Larry Bird guy, always used to look up his stats. Brown, nicknamed "Stink" was a trainer at a local gym, Seat Pleasant Recreation Center, just outside of Washington, D.C. where Durant grew up and was his coach there.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Durant mirrors Bird, Kobe mirrors MJ, LeBron mirrors Magic.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Melo Mirrors?

marvILLous
12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Melo mirrors glen davis

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Melo Mirrors?

I kinda want to say Elgin Baylor ??

1-800-STFU
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
All I saw was Kevin Durant grew up modeling.

I thought this thread had potential.

I was mistaken.

LAKERMANIA
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't believe him tbh... I think he likes Bird NOW, but he was in his teens during the 2000s, so I'd like to think he grew up watching/modeling Kobe, but can't say it because he is playing against him

Money_23
12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Dwight mirrors Hakeem.
Javale McGee mirrors Wilt.
DeAndre Jordan mirrors Bill Russell.
Glen Davis mirrors post Miami Heat Shaq.

Kevin Durant certainly has Larry Bird - like stats. Incredibly efficient scoring, high rebound, and he can work on his passing to rack up his assists like Bird did. Bird is a career 6.3 assists and 10 rebound guy... wow.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
What about the young guys? I think Anthony Davis Mirrors Duncan.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
What about the young guys? I think Anthony Davis Mirrors Duncan.

I don't know, I think I'd like to see him actually play in a real regular season NBA game to judge that.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't know, I think I'd like to see him actually play in a real regular season NBA game to judge that.

Im not saying his career will reflect Duncans career Im saying how he plays.

tripleplay2007
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
You guys make some ****** *** comparisons.

naps
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Make sense.

Oh and LeBron mirrors Jordan, Magic, and Wilt all of them. He is the mixture of those three.

tripleplay2007
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Melo Mirrors?

Melo mirrors little winy self centered Knicks fans. That's why he's a perfect fit, it's funny how you guys rip him last season and now that you guys are doing good in the first quarter of the season that you guys slob him up.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Melo mirrors little winy self centered Knicks fans. That's why he's a perfect fit, it's funny how you guys rip him last season and now that you guys are doing good in the first quarter of the season that you guys slob him up.

This is immature just like your sig. Amare mirrors? There is that better? Josh smith mirrors? Calling Knicks fans whiny and self centered sounds like you have a personal problem man.

Mr.SmackYoMama
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Dwight mirrors Hakeem.

Kevin Durant certainly has Larry Bird - like stats. Incredibly efficient scoring, high rebound, and he can work on his passing to rack up his assists like Bird did. Bird is a career 6.3 assists and 10 rebound guy... wow.

WTH are you on??? You just disrespected the greats of the game!! You cannot be serious!

LAKERMANIA
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Melo Mirrors?

To me Melo mirrors Kobe Bryant if Phil never coached the Lakers..

Money_23
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
WTH are you on??? You just disrespected the greats of the game!! You cannot be serious!

it's hard to sense sarcasm online. Sorry I guess.

I remember the one thread I made calling Russel Westbrook DPOY as the only guy to hold Durant under 30ppg and alot of people took it seriously and exploded and called me out........

Jint.
12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I like that..

Mr.SmackYoMama
12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
it's hard to sense sarcasm online. Sorry I guess.

I remember the one thread I made calling Russel Westbrook DPOY as the only guy to hold Durant under 30ppg and alot of people took it seriously and exploded and called me out........

So you made a thread about a player holding a player on his own team under 30ppg and people called you out??? Wow what a bunch os @55Holes Huh?

Money_23
12-06-2012, 05:16 PM
So you made a thread about a player holding a player on his own team under 30ppg and people called you out??? Wow what a bunch os @55Holes Huh?

Meant as a joke obviously... you must not be fun to be around...

Bishnoff
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Dwight mirrors Hakeem.

None of the bolded are anything like the players you've suggested they mirrored.

EDIT: Really hard to read any sarcasm in your post.

I Rock Shaqs
12-06-2012, 05:23 PM
You guys make some ****** *** comparisons.

I agree some of these are awful.

Mr.SmackYoMama
12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Meant as a joke obviously... you must not be fun to be around...

Your mom n sisters disagree :D

Money_23
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
None of the bolded are anything like the players you've suggested they mirrored.

EDIT: Really hard to read any sarcasm in your post.

some people have made comparisons about Mcgee's similarities to Wilt.
Dwight learned post moves from Hakeemm (which he has yet to use in a game). And he's supposed to be a really good defensive anchor.

of course these are just said as jokes and no one actually believe that.

And I made the Deandre Jordan comparison because he racks up blocks.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out these weren't serious....

Money_23
12-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Your mom n sisters disagree :D

yeah very mature response. Typical from a 12 year old. The fact that you took my post seriously just shows your mind set. Grow up.

Bishnoff
12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Dwight learned post moves from Hakeemm (which he has yet to use in a game). And he's supposed to be a really good defensive anchor.

Show me another person who thought you were joking...

Now you're actually trying to back up your examples. You've basically chosen 3 current players whose combined IQ is less than 50 and compared them against 2 of the smartest players to play the game and another who was so strong and athletic he could probably dunk McGee.

FOXHOUND
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Kobe mirrored Jordan a lot, as any kid who grew up watching him obviously.

LeBron definitely started on Kobe, as he said in that CNN interview he was a big fan and had posters of Kobe on his wall and everything. As he got older he definitely started watching more tape of older games, and mentalitlity wise is a lot like Magic/Penny/Pippen.

Durant's age would make Bird surprising, but if his godfather and him being the guy who trained him at a young age was a Bird head then it's not too surprising that he would have showed Durant some Bird footage.

Melo plays a lot like Bernand King, and has talked about being a big fan of his. Like with Bird, I'm not sure how much Bernard King he could have watched growing up when he did.

But obviously this current generation has a lot of Kobe heads, as he was the premier perimeter player in the NBA when they were growing up. It would be pretty foolish to think otherwise. Melo and Durant definitely drew inspiration from watching Kobe when they were younger.

Edit: LeBron definitely saw Penny, Jordan and Pippen in the mid 90's as well, and most likely a good amount of Magic. How could I forget that he was a Bulls fan growing up? Lol

FOXHOUND
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Show me another person who thought you were joking...

I was pretty certain he was joking, at the very least for the sake of his parents, loved ones, girlfriend/wife, any children he may have now or I the future, any pets he may have, his neighbors, his coworkers...

SACNYY
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Smush Parker mirrors Kobe Bryant

tripleplay2007
12-06-2012, 05:48 PM
This is immature just like your sig. Amare mirrors? There is that better? Josh smith mirrors? Calling Knicks fans whiny and self centered sounds like you have a personal problem man.

Lol, I'm very immature dawg.

I really don't feel like its a personal problem at all. Just stating facts :rolleyes:

Chronz
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Where does it say he mirrored his game after Birds?

Chronz
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
How old was Durant when he got NBA TV?

topdog
12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

I didn't think you were serious until the Glenn Davis is post-championship Shaq. Also, I didn't think the "sarcasm" was funny - never heard anyone even come close to make those comparisons and there are emoticons to help out with jokes/sarcasm ->

sep11ie
12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Whoever said Dwight mirrors Hakeem should never be allowed to post again.