PDA

View Full Version : Will the Hawks trade Josh Smith? And where do you think he will end up?

ATLPRIMETIME21
12-06-2012, 05:29 AM
The Atlanta Hawks are now 10-5 but the big elephant in the room is whether or not the Hawks are sold on paying him superstar money next year. I personally love J-Smoove but I think they would be overpaying just to keep him like they did Joe Johnson. They got lucky once getting the Nets to take that horrible contract but I dont think they would be that lucky again

shep33
12-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Problem with Smith is that I don't think anybody wants to pay him superstar money. I mean he has not been good this year. A max for Josh Smith will eventually turn out to be an Amare-like situation. Once Smith's athleticism goes, that's it.

eternal slumber
12-06-2012, 06:13 AM
i really don't know if Morey would trade for Smith or try to sign him through free agency.

Mr.ATLHawks
12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I doubt he gets traded. Nobody is going to offer any gamebreakers for him. Plus he is our defensive savior at the rim so I would hate to see this team without him. I say ATL resigns him and gets another big name in FA this summer i.e Howard or Paul maybe Gordon. Difference between Joe Johnson and Josh Smith is..he is not a ballhog and will make the right pass, plays defense, rebounds, and scores and he is not 30.

ATLPRIMETIME21
12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree with you Mr.ATLHawks to an extent, but Josh Smith does not have the IQ that you are implying. He is known to take stupid shots from behind the arc all the time. He had one season where he only attempted like 3 threepointers and it was actually his best season. I heard one rumor floating around and it was memphis offering rudy gay and mike conley for Josh Smith and Jeff Teague which to be honest I think would be a horrible deal because I believe Teague is on his way to being one of the best pg in the league and rudy gay is not as good as J-Smoove if you ask me

FriedTofuz
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
in a recent ESPN article, atlanta has NO INTEREST in trading smith /thread

JordansBulls
12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Josh for Boozer

ugafan
12-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Josh for Boozer

I wish somebody would just permaban you already.

VRP723
12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I wish somebody would just permaban you already.

:laugh2:

ManRam
12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Josh for Boozer

Come on JB. Why the hell would Atlanta do that?

b_russ
12-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Josh for Boozer

That one gave me a good chuckle.

Gram
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Problem with Smith is that I don't think anybody wants to pay him superstar money. I mean he has not been good this year. A max for Josh Smith will eventually turn out to be an Amare-like situation. Once Smith's athleticism goes, that's it.

Agreed completely. Just by watching him you can tell that his speed and leap are the biggest keys to his success I find. If he can develop a well established midrange-3 point shot he'll be in better shape for the years coming up.

LAKobeBryant
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Josh for Boozer

:confused:

Gram
12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Josh for Boozer

Are you serious dude? Maybe for Boozer, the Charlotte pick and Chitown's pick. Still don't think that's enough though.

ManRam
12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Atlanta made it pretty clear they're in cost cutting mode. Why would they trade an expiring for Boozer's $15-16 million annual salary. They're going to have SOOOOO much free money this off-season. Even with draft picks, it's not worth Atlanta's time.

JB just doing his normal JB trolling.

Gram
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Atlanta made it pretty clear they're in cost cutting mode. Why would they trade an expiring for Boozer's $15-16 million annual salary. They're going to have SOOOOO much free money this off-season. Even with draft picks, it's not worth Atlanta's time.

JB just doing his normal JB trolling.

He used to be a mod. Therefore he has never trolled and never will.

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
No, retaining Josh is the key to getting Dwight next offseason, and Ferry already tried to acquire him this past offseason but Orlando's GM didn't want to go through with it. Ferry will pursue Dwight again, and the only thing that could change it is if he signs the extension in-season. Dumping Joe('s contract) was a great deal to set up the next few moves. And no, fans of other teams, nobody wants your overpaid aging PFs.

Stinkyoutsider
12-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I think there's a lot of takers for Smith out there but the problem is pay. What is the guy worth? If I'm paying a guy superstar money, I want the guy to be just as dominant on offense as he is on defense. I wouldn't mind paying Smith 12 or 13 mil a season but not a max deal.

Smith has said for years that he wanted to be traded so he can have a better chance to win, so I think the Hawks need to continue making moves so they can have a shot at getting some quality players. I think Smith would honestly stay if the team had a chance at winning a title.

I honestly think a team like the Rockets will show up with money in hand for Smith. He's going to get overpaid just like Joe Johnson I think.

ugafan
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM
We have enough money for 2 max players this offseason AT LEAST. With a little maneuvering, we can sign 3 max players. Trading Smith for somebody with a contract extending past this year is counter-productive. If we trade Smith, it'll be for expiring contracts and lottery picks.

Ezio
12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I think he's Houston bound.

mightybosstone
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I know a lot of people expect him to end up in Houston, but as a Rockets fan, I don't want him here. He's going to get a bloated contract that he doesn't deserve and he's a liability on offense because of his need to jack up long jumpers he can't possibly make. If he could come here making $10 million a year and learn to limit his offensive game to what he's good at, I'd be okay with that. But I don't see either of those things happening.

sep11ie
12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Jb.

ManRam
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
We have enough money for 2 max players this offseason AT LEAST. With a little maneuvering, we can sign 3 max players. Trading Smith for somebody with a contract extending past this year is counter-productive. If we trade Smith, it'll be for expiring contracts and lottery picks.

I'm so unsure of what Smith's value is. On one hand he's a top 20-30 player, but on the other hand he's going to be in for a huge payday. Lottery pickSSS and taking on no salary would be an impressive feat for ATL to pull off. Maybe it's realistic, maybe it's not.

shep33
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Unless CP3 is also going to Atlanta this offseason, the chances are not that likely Dwight leaves. Clips are pretty good themselves.

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Smith has said for years that he wanted to be traded so he can have a better chance to win, so I think the Hawks need to continue making moves so they can have a shot at getting some quality players. I think Smith would honestly stay if the team had a chance at winning a title.
You mean like, getting rid of an overpaid declining Joe Johnson to clear space for signing, someone like, say, Dwight Howard? It looks like that plan is already underway.

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't make any guarantees about the Clippers or Lakers at this point. I see two coaches who could very easily screw things up (again) and underachieve in the playoffs, which would not bode well for re-signing.

reffahead
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Atlanta's core is Smith, Horford, and Teague. Ferry will be looking to build along these three unless Paul wants to come in which Teague could be traded obviously. Not sure what Josh's and Teague's cap holds are but the team will have 35 or so million to spend. Lou Williams was given the MLE and he may be an option to be traded.

The offense Atlanta runs has Josh out on the high post/college 3 area and he surveys for who is coming off screens for open mid range or open 3 point shots. It's good and bad for him because he is a very good passer and he can drive to the lane but sadly loves to shoot the jumpshot. Especially when the offense is stagnant.

ManRam
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Atlanta's core is Smith, Horford, and Teague. Ferry will be looking to build along these three unless Paul wants to come in which Teague could be traded obviously. Not sure what Josh's and Teague's cap holds are but the team will have 35 or so million to spend. Lou Williams was given the MLE and he may be an option to be traded.

The offense Atlanta runs has Josh out on the high post/college 3 area and he surveys for who is coming off screens for open mid range or open 3 point shots. It's good and bad for him because he is a very good passer and he can drive to the lane but sadly loves to shoot the jumpshot. Especially when the offense is stagnant.

Smith is a free agent after this season. Would you want him back at the max for 5-6 years?

reffahead
12-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Remind of what the maxes other teams can offer. If it's the 4 year 60 million Hibbert got why not. I think Ferry will offer up a Rudy Gay like contract.

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Not sure what Josh's and Teague's cap holds are...
$16.4M/Bird Rights (or 3.2 higher) for Josh, and $6.1M/Restricted BR (or 2.6 higher) for Jeff.

mightybosstone
12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Here's the real question in Atlanta. If the ultimate goal is to team up Smith and Howard, what do you do with Al Horford? Do you try and move Smith to SF and see if that works? Or do you deal Horford to the highest bidder? If I'm the Hawks, I go the opposite route. I would let Smith walk and try to convince Howard to come play next to Horford.

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Lou Williams was given the MLE and he may be an option to be traded.
Can't see that happening right now after getting him so "cheap", he's the primary ballhandler late in games (and only one who gets to the FT line). But if push comes to shove, and they have to do it to facilitate a bigger move, well....

Bravo95
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Ferry has handled the situation as well as Hawks fans could hope: Got rid of the overpriced guys, mended the fence with Josh, added draft picks, and created flexibility. If they have to move Horford, they wouldn't have any trouble find suitors. If they don't get Dwight and Josh walks, they're still in good shape in terms of picks and flexibility, much better shape than they were when Ferry took the job.

Snakeyestx
12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Houston probably won't put up a trade offer since he's free to go wherever he wants next season, but I wouldn't put it past them to offer up a max contract in the offseason to him.

A little refinement in Olajuwon's big man camp and he'll probably be the last missing piece Houston needs.

reffahead
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Houston probably won't put up a trade offer since he's free to go wherever he wants next season, but I wouldn't put it past them to offer up a max contract in the offseason to him.

A little refinement in Olajuwon's big man camp and he'll probably be the last missing piece Houston needs.

He's already worked with HO. Josh will not take a 4 year deal. He'll be almost 32 after the deal and no one will give him close to 10 million a year at that age. He'll be looking for that last 5th year with the 15 million price tag.

Only team that can accommodate that is Atlanta. This in reality will be his last chance to score a big contract. He could be used up 3 years into the deal. Hate to say it but he could go turn into Kenyon Martin at 30. Martin at that age was avg. 12.5 and 6.5 and slowly declined thereafter.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Amare for Josh Smith, kyle Korver, and Ludacris.

ugafan
12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm so unsure of what Smith's value is. On one hand he's a top 20-30 player, but on the other hand he's going to be in for a huge payday. Lottery pickSSS and taking on no salary would be an impressive feat for ATL to pull off. Maybe it's realistic, maybe it's not.
Well I think we're more likely to keep him til the end of the season than to trade him for players signed long-term.

Here's the real question in Atlanta. If the ultimate goal is to team up Smith and Howard, what do you do with Al Horford? Do you try and move Smith to SF and see if that works? Or do you deal Horford to the highest bidder? If I'm the Hawks, I go the opposite route. I would let Smith walk and try to convince Howard to come play next to Horford.
Smith is more than capable of playing SF and Smith-Horford-Howard is the best frontcourt in basketball by a very wide margin. Smith would have to make adjustments if he's playing SF though, mainly better shot selection.

*Silver&Black*
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM

As long as we keep shooters like Korver, Morrow, and Jenkins around, we can run with a Smith/Horford/Howard frontcourt.

The bigger question is, will we keep Teague or try to go after Paul as well to have a Paul/Smith/Horford/Howard line-up.

mightybosstone
12-06-2012, 06:23 PM
The bigger question is, will we keep Teague or try to go after Paul as well to have a Paul/Smith/Horford/Howard line-up.

Unless Smith, Howard and Paul are taking SIGNIFICANT paycuts to play in Atlanta, there is an absolute 0 percent chance of that happening. They would have to each leave like $7-8 million on the table per year for that to happen. Not a chance in hell.

dhopisthename
12-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Unless Smith, Howard and Paul are taking SIGNIFICANT paycuts to play in Atlanta, there is an absolute 0 percent chance of that happening. They would have to each leave like $7-8 million on the table per year for that to happen. Not a chance in hell.

yeah from what I could find both their maxes would be around 18 mill which when you add horfords 12 mill that alone gets you to 48 million. then add in cap holds there would zero left for smith.

topdog
12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
No trade. I assume that they try to lure Howard in FA to pair with buddy Josh Smith. Bring the big clown home.

Lab Rat Robby
12-06-2012, 06:55 PM

i liked the way you started but that was a crazy finish. dwight and horford? c'mon man, it doesn't seem very likely. think about this though. it isn't a stretch to say smith and howard could reunite in either city. most likely la with something like gasol+ for smith+. but wouldn't it be so much more interesting to see horford+(teague or picks?) for howard(extended.) talk about ball hawks, howard and smith would terrorize. this is a stretch but maybe they could get some peace of mind and finally sink some free throws. i'd love to see the end of dwights shag/superman sequel. he could dub himself bizarro, and make all kinda marketing deals. forget big 3's and big 4's. defense wins championships. dwight and smith are a couple of top notch defenders in their prime, they'd swat and rip all the way to gold. at the worst, at least atl would be interesting again.

DumDum
12-07-2012, 02:28 AM

GET BACK GET BACK YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT :box:

ATLPRIMETIME21
12-07-2012, 03:06 AM
i liked the way you started but that was a crazy finish. dwight and horford? c'mon man, it doesn't seem very likely. think about this though. it isn't a stretch to say smith and howard could reunite in either city. most likely la with something like gasol+ for smith+. but wouldn't it be so much more interesting to see horford+(teague or picks?) for howard(extended.) talk about ball hawks, howard and smith would terrorize. this is a stretch but maybe they could get some peace of mind and finally sink some free throws. i'd love to see the end of dwights shag/superman sequel. he could dub himself bizarro, and make all kinda marketing deals. forget big 3's and big 4's. defense wins championships. dwight and smith are a couple of top notch defenders in their prime, they'd swat and rip all the way to gold. at the worst, at least atl would be interesting again.

As a Hawks fan I love where you went with this but it seems pretty unrealistic. I just don't know if I want Dwight on my fav team. He seems to be more a problem than a solution

kyubi256
12-07-2012, 04:22 AM
I don't think they'd trade him as teams won't give up a lot for him especially since his contract ends after the year. Without the Birds rights, it's not worth it.

Lab Rat Robby
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
As a Hawks fan I love where you went with this but it seems pretty unrealistic. I just don't know if I want Dwight on my fav team. He seems to be more a problem than a solution

3 things... thanks for respondin to that post, it took me way too long to perfect. i wouldn't underestimate dwight. i'll agree and make the bold statement that he's just not a cornerstone guy like duncan, shaq, garnett, etc... and he might just have one of those toxic artest/rondo like personalities. but he's perfect for kobe and nash. he's all the or more offensive board power of bynum and very little of the injury issue, plus a he's a better defender. the lakers are going to be fine once they get nash back and stop sweating/pissing puddles under the spotlight. matter of fact, that's the only part that makes dwight/smith atl seem at all unrealistic. they might just do enough winning to keep dwight. i think there's a large possibility the lakers panic near dwights extension deadline though. especially if things don't get better quickly after nash returns, and kobe doesn't stop rushing the management.

*Silver&Black*
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Kyle Korver for Melo, and 2 1st round picks. Do it or we will shave Woodson's eyebrows off again.