PDA

View Full Version : Should NBA teams honor opposing players milestones?

Chronz
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Related to kobe

Tysons_Beard
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
no

StarvingKnick22
12-05-2012, 09:39 PM
You mean like call a time out?

Slug3
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Miami retired Jordan's and Mario's jerseys. I guess Riley really respected them. I could understand Marino as he played for Miami. But Jordan don't know.

PrettyBoyJ
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Well it would make sense Hornets did draft Kobe.

Chronz
12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
lol

To those who think no does history not matter ? I'm pretty sure I remember alot of kobe chants over the years in nahleens

Chronz
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
You mean like call a time out?
Just displaying it on the scoreboard

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Miami retired Jordan's and Mario's jerseys. I guess Riley really respected them. I could understand Marino as he played for Miami. But Jordan don't know.

He's talking about in-game on a dead ball situation.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Related to kobe

I think they were going to plan on doing it on a dead ball situation, but that never game as Kobe shot FT's (which they say doesn't count as a dead ball situation), and play continued. Unless if the ball was knocked out of bounds and play stopped, they would have honored him.

DumDum
12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Nope play the game

Sportfan
12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Depends on the extent of the accomplishment, I mean if a record's broken then yea I guess so.

Otherwise just put it up on the scoreboard that's cool

BcEuAbRsS
12-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't think so. You wanna celebrate milestones then have players that reach them.

Slug3
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Didnt someone call a timeout so Reggie miller could be cheered by the crowed? Might have been his last game or something bu I though the other coach kind of called a timeout for him. I could be wrong though.

RaiderLakersA's
12-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I would say yes to any SIGNIFICANT milestone. It's part of respecting the game and recognizing that history was made.

It's also a sign of mutual respect...because whether you want to accept it or not, one of the reasons why the seats are filled is usually because of the great superstars. The Lakers and Heat pretty much sell out every game on the road. Every game. That tells you that there are a lot of fans of basketball. Period. If you want to keep those individuals happy and coming back, then you have to recognize basketball's great moments when they occur. All it takes is a brief stoppage, literally seconds, to do that.

Bruno
12-06-2012, 01:08 AM
it'd be cool to throw it up on the big screen to make everyone aware, but I'd hate for it to stop game play, or the flow of the game.

Aust
12-06-2012, 01:37 AM
No. Didn't care for the 10 minute celebration when Brees broke the yardage record.

Lakers + Giants
12-06-2012, 01:41 AM
New Orleans wouldn't do it cuz they're mad they traded Kobe. :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Um... I guess it depends on the record. Like if some takes the lead for all-time leader in something.... I mean, I think Kobe elcisped West in LAL and they mentioned it on the speakers, but had he done that on the road, I wouldn't have mentioned it. The question is, what counts as a big enough milestone? If David Lee joins the 20 000 point club, do, say the Denver Nuggets mention it? I dunno... 30 000 is a big deal, because only five other players have done it (I will count Dr. J's ABA numbers here), but it's not like he's the all-time leader. Do the fans of the team Kobe's beating really care to hear it? I dunno... I guess it's up to the individual team... I wouldn't be opposed to it, but unless somebody was taking ownership in an all-time record, I wouldn't think it a big enough milestone to make mention of.

I mean, the 30 000 point mark is a big deal now, but as time goes on it will seem less impressive since careers seem to last much longer than they used to. LBJ and Durant will both likely join the club (LBJ is almost at 20 000 now at only 27 years old, meaning he will likely join the club at aged 32 or 33 at his current pace, while Durant, at 24, is already over 10 000).

mightybosstone
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
I would say yes to any SIGNIFICANT milestone. It's part of respecting the game and recognizing that history was made.

It's also a sign of mutual respect...because whether you want to accept it or not, one of the reasons why the seats are filled is usually because of the great superstars. The Lakers and Heat pretty much sell out every game on the road. Every game. That tells you that there are a lot of fans of basketball. Period. If you want to keep those individuals happy and coming back, then you have to recognize basketball's great moments when they occur. All it takes is a brief stoppage, literally seconds, to do that.

This is a great answer. I think it's important to acknowledge significant milestones, because it's not only important for that individual player or that franchise but for the entire history of the league. Teams owe it to the league and to every other team to acknowledge when something special takes place, and it doesn't take a huge celebration to show a sign of respect.

thenaj17
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Like some have said, as long as the flow of the game doesn't stop. Even though it was on the road, there were a lot of Kobe/Lakers fans there so you give a SMALL gesture to keep the fans happy. Every little thing like that adds to the occasion for me, someone who hardly ever sees a game live (i live in England).

It's about respect...unless it's a fierce rivalry where i wouldn't mention a thing. No way Celtics or Clippers would have done it instead of New Orleans.

king4day
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
No reason. Why celebrate something as unimportant as a player scoring 30000 pts? I found it annoying that it was being discussed so much on the radio this morning.
You won't find division rivals celebrate anything Kobe does unless it's a desperate attempt to draw more fans (Laker fans) to home games.

king4day
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
it'd be cool to throw it up on the big screen to make everyone aware, but I'd hate for it to stop game play, or the flow of the game.

This is the extent I'd go. Maybe show the bucket during halftime or commercial break. Stopping a game would be a joke. No need to shove it down anyones throats.

farren.louis
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Yea , because we're all fans of the game

mightybosstone
12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
No reason. Why celebrate something as unimportant as a player scoring 30000 pts? I found it annoying that it was being discussed so much on the radio this morning.
You won't find division rivals celebrate anything Kobe does unless it's a desperate attempt to draw more fans (Laker fans) to home games.

You are kidding, right? I generally can't stand Kobe Bryant, but 30,000 points is a monumental achievement in the sport that only four other players have achieved. I'm not even someone who cares that much about longevity, but that's a big freaking deal that deserves recognition.

JiffyMix88
12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Hell no

king4day
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
You are kidding, right? I generally can't stand Kobe Bryant, but 30,000 points is a monumental achievement in the sport that only four other players have achieved. I'm not even someone who cares that much about longevity, but that's a big freaking deal that deserves recognition.

Is it impressive? Absolutely. It'll be years before we see this again.
Maybe if he was a more likeable player. Based on the reactions so far, it seems I'm not the only one who doesn't care.

Gram
12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't see why they would or should.

LAKobeBryant
12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Its not like you see this every season. It's something special.

TheLegend
12-06-2012, 03:59 PM
the answer is no. Most fans in a stadium come to see their team play and don't care about the accomplishments of another team/player. If the Miami Heat win 38 games in a row, do u really think it's appropriate for a opposing teams arena to showcase that to their fans? This is another silly thread IMO