PDA

View Full Version : Official NBA Race to the MVP Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Baller1
12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Just merge all the other threads in here and sticky this ****. There's a new one every day, so might as well just create this even though it's way too early for it.

Here's the most recent list from NBA.com...

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

1. Durant
2. Lebron
3. Melo

Swashcuff
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Jrue Holiday *****es :dance:

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Jrue Holiday *****es :dance:

Beast, as of now him and Rondo would be the starting guards at the all star game for me.

tredigs
12-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Really, no Duncan?

Mr.Nate30
12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Lol at no Duncan

FraziersKnicks
12-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it's a joke Duncan's not on that list.

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Yea lol how the hell is D will on that list over Duncan?

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
D will is shooting less than 40% and only putting up 16 and 8

SMH at NBA.COM

JNoel
12-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Why no Wade on there? ;)

seikou8
12-06-2012, 12:08 AM
come on d-will he is so overated

justinnum1
12-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Durant
Lebron

no one else matters

for now.

JordansBulls
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Really, no Duncan?

It's Sekou Smith opinion

tredigs
12-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Durant leads the league in Offensive and Defensive Win Shares right now. This doesn't happen to regular players. David Robinson did it once in 94/95 when he put up 28/11/3 with the best D in the league, Shaq did it in his legendary 99/00 season, and Kareem in back to back seasons in his early Laker years while he dismantled the league. MJ, Bird, Lebron, Hakeem and all the others never pulled it off.

Quite the early campaign the guy is putting on, and the records are taking notice.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/dws_top_10.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ows_top_10.html

Ebbs
12-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Whose idea was this? Oh yea...

Duncan should be on the list.

Z-Bo at #4 slightly caught me off guard. Not that he doesn't deserve it but that team has such a complete starting 5.

Sactown
12-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Durant leads the league in Offensive and Defensive Win Shares right now. This doesn't happen to regular players. David Robinson did it once in 94/95 when he put up 28/11/3 with the best D in the league, Shaq did it in his legendary 99/00 season, and Kareem in back to back seasons in his early Laker years while he dismantled the league. MJ, Bird, Lebron, Hakeem and all the others never pulled it off.

Quite the early campaign the guy is putting on, and the records are taking notice.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/dws_top_10.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ows_top_10.html

I doubt he's able to keep it up, but go KD! would be cool to see him do it. Not being a hater, just would be surprised if he held it up. Seems like it would be easiest for a Center as they are most likely to anchor a defense and an offense.

STL Don
12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
1.Carmelo Anthony
2.LeBron James
3.Kevin Durant
4.Tim Duncan
5.Zach Randolph
6.Chris Paul
7.Rajon Rondo
8.Kobe Bryant
9.Deron Williams
10.James Harden

Melo to me so far has been the league's most 'valuable' player. He's led his Knicks to a surprising 13-4 start and this is after a season where Melo was criticized more than any other point in his career and the thought had settled into a lot of people's minds that Melo couldn't share the ball enough and be the best player on a championship team. SO FAR he has proved the doubters wrong and has helped his team off to an incredible start. He's played efficient and has put in a lot more effort on the defensive end. To me, he's the MVP so far.
I also showed much love to Zach Randolph who has also led his team to a very surprising start at 13-3 atop the Western Conference. His production has shown how truly important he is to this franchise and is clearly their best player when healthy. He's off to a great start statistically and has been a monster on the boards. Simply unstoppable thus far in the early going.

ManRam
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a hard time gauging Randolph. Some of it might be the fact that I haven't seen much of the Grizz this year, but he, Gasol and Conley are having great years and are probably equally valuable. And then Rudy Gay is the team's leading scorer. I feel like the 4 of them compliment each other so well, and without one you'd see a big drop off. I just can't be certain it's Randolph that beats that drum.

It's hard for me to rank these guys this early. I think Durant is the frontrunner, but Melo and LeBron aren't far behind.

bucketss
12-06-2012, 11:42 PM
melo not so valuable after all

#Threetothedome #Knickstape

Il Mago50
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Cp3

koreancabbage
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
1.Carmelo Anthony
2.LeBron James
3.Kevin Durant
4.Tim Duncan
5.Zach Randolph
6.Chris Paul
7.Rajon Rondo
8.Kobe Bryant
9.Deron Williams
10.James Harden

Melo to me so far has been the league's most 'valuable' player. He's led his Knicks to a surprising 13-4 start and this is after a season where Melo was criticized more than any other point in his career and the thought had settled into a lot of people's minds that Melo couldn't share the ball enough and be the best player on a championship team. SO FAR he has proved the doubters wrong and has helped his team off to an incredible start. He's played efficient and has put in a lot more effort on the defensive end. To me, he's the MVP so far.
I also showed much love to Zach Randolph who has also led his team to a very surprising start at 13-3 atop the Western Conference. His production has shown how truly important he is to this franchise and is clearly their best player when healthy. He's off to a great start statistically and has been a monster on the boards. Simply unstoppable thus far in the early going.

Melo is overrated. If anything Mike Woodson should be the MVP moreso than Melo. I would never take this thing seriously if Melo won it. Look at the ball movement from the Knicks yesterday against the Heat - the best I've seen all year long from the Knicks and they were already decent team with Melo. New York didn't need Melo before he got there. Still a ball stopper in most scenarios but its just that its early in the season and Melo is coming off an Oympic high where he played extremely well. i'm pretty sure all his averages will drop to his career before the season is said and done.

koreancabbage
12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
funniest thing though I think Melo will become a much better player with Lebron.

JasonJohnHorn
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
NBA.com had Parker on the list ahead of Duncan for crying out loud.

Firstly, LBJ is the clear cut number one pick for MVP this season. Secondly, Duncan should be in the conversation.

xxplayerxx23
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
How is melo overrated so far this year? Lol

LongIslandIcedZ
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Lebron

Melo/Durant
Durant/Melo

I think its pretty clearly Lebron. Watching the game last night, the Knicks werent even playing the heat, they were playing Lebron.

Bosh is playing well, but without Lebron I dont know how good this team would even be. I was extremely impressed with Lebron last night. He has evolved so much as a player over the past couple of years, we could be watching the eventual second best player of all time.

Melo is playing great, and anyone denying that is probably just trying to instigate something. Having said that, the Knicks are playing tremendous team ball, and Chandler and Felton are playing like legitimate all stars.

bucketss
12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
remember someone said miami would be a top 5 seed without lebron.

ManRam
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
remember someone said miami would be a top 5 seed without lebron.

I think it could have been possible in the past, but no way that's the case this year.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
smh

ManRam
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
How is melo overrated so far this year? Lol

Well, ratedness is a tricky thing. Melo plays well and he skyrockets in many people's (mainly Knicks fans) minds. Thus, they start overrating him. This probably forces other fans to simultaneously discredit him, and thus underrate him.

So I don't know. Like just about everyone else, he is overrated by many, and underrated by many. It depends on how that person is indeed rating him.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I cant believe people still go by this overrated/underrated thing. It's so subjective and an unwinnable argument. The kid that says Melo is the best player in basketball right now, is obviously overrating him. However, the kids that say he is the 17th best player in the game, is probably underrating him.

It works with everyone.

KnickaBocka.44
12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
The problem is rating and ranking players in general.

On any given night, there are one or two handfuls of players that can look like the best in the NBA. Lebron does it more often than anyone else and that is why he is widely regarded as the best player in the game today.

However, this does not necessarily guarantee that he is the MVP year in and year out.

When he was with the Cavaliers and he was single handedly carrying the team, he was without a doubt the MVP because without him they would surely be lottery bound. He was the sole reason for their success and, thus, more valuable to his team's high, some would say overachieving (because of the lack of talent surrounding him), level of success than any other player was to their respective team.

There are obviously tiers of players that can be compared to one another and be debated but to try and say that "Player A is number 4, Player B is number 3 and Player C is definitely number 2" is pointless and served by bias regardless of who the conversation is between.

The MVP award is not simply justified by statistical greatness, it also warrants a consideration of the context in which the players performances were given and the level of success that was achieved by the team as a whole.

xxplayerxx23
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Well, ratedness is a tricky thing. Melo plays well and he skyrockets in many people's (mainly Knicks fans) minds. Thus, they start overrating him. This probably forces other fans to simultaneously discredit him, and thus underrate him.

So I don't know. Like just about everyone else, he is overrated by many, and underrated by many. It depends on how that person is indeed rating him.

I can agree with that. I just don't understand how people say he isn't a Candidate. He is clearly behind lebron and Durant but I think he in the 3-4 range in importance for their team

bucketss
12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
this is durants year

Baller1
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
this is durants year

I sure hope so.

Doogolas
12-07-2012, 07:28 PM
No love for Kobe?

ManRam
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I cant believe people still go by this overrated/underrated thing. It's so subjective and an unwinnable argument. The kid that says Melo is the best player in basketball right now, is obviously overrating him. However, the kids that say he is the 17th best player in the game, is probably underrating him.

It works with everyone.

I agree. There are some people who fly under or over the radar universally, but it's very few. The reality is that usually there's a large population that overrates a player, and a large population that underrates a player...for almost every player.

ManRam
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
No love for Kobe?

He's having a great year...but right now the Lakers play makes him not a viable candidate.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-08-2012, 05:01 AM
He's having a great year...but right now the Lakers play makes him not a viable candidate.

Totally agree.

The guy is leading the league in scoring, shooting a career high 49% from the field, 39% 3pt range and 88% FTs, and his steals are up at around 1.7 a game. But the putrid 9-11 record probably erases away all that, as you said. Really unfortunate.

Minimal
12-08-2012, 08:43 AM
So far its Durant, he is playing great all around game and really leads his team to one of the best records in the league. And he really nears the LeBrons level improving by a bit. I feel this year will be Durants year.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Totally agree.

The guy is leading the league in scoring, shooting a career high 49% from the field, 39% 3pt range and 88% FTs, and his steals are up at around 1.7 a game. But the putrid 9-11 record probably erases away all that, as you said. Really unfortunate.

furthermore, even if the Lakers turn it around at some point, their record will not be top 4-5 in the league, virtually guaranteeing Kobe has no shot at the MVP.

THE GIPPER
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Lakers 1-8 when Kobe scores 30 or more and 8-3 when he's under 30.

Sadds The Gr8
12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Just seems setup for Durantula to win (not saying it's rigged, more of a 'his time is now' thing). I'd be surprised if he didn't win it.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Just seems setup for Durantula to win (not saying it's rigged, more of a 'his time is now' thing). I'd be surprised if he didn't win it.

I would be surprised as well. If LeBron doesn't clearly outplay him, they won't (yawn) give the award to him again. Durant is the next man up.

ManRam
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Yeah. Story lines and narratives (see: Derrick Rose) play a huge role. It's Durant's time...it's his to lose.

bucketss
12-08-2012, 01:50 PM

agreed. i thought it was his last year but lebron just went beast mode i don't see anyone challenging him for it this year.

NYMetros
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
1. Durant

distant 2nd
James

3rd Anthony

4th Duncan
5th Bryant

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-08-2012, 03:28 PM
furthermore, even if the Lakers turn it around at some point, their record will not be top 4-5 in the league, virtually guaranteeing Kobe has no shot at the MVP.

I don't know if Durant should win the award simply because to an extent, Westbrook is basically canceling him out. Westbrook is having a career yr in scoring and assists.

You can't be the MVP if the 2nd best player isn't too far off from you.

LeBron was MVP last yr because Wade wasn't nearly having the dominant and stud type of season that Westbrook is having now as the second option to Durant.

It's like in 2001. They didn't give the MVP to Shaq (28.7 PPG) because Kobe was right behind him on that team at (28.5 PPG) as he made a 6.0 PPG jump from the previous season and was in the conversation as top 2 or 3 best player in the league.

So the NBA decided to give it to a guy who was #1 seed in the Weak East, leading the league in scoring at an inefficient rate and a guy who was doing everything by himself in Allen Iverson.

bucketss
12-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't know if Durant should win the award simply because to an extent, Westbrook is basically canceling him out. Westbrook is having a career yr in scoring and assists.

LeBron was MVP last yr because Wade wasn't nearly having the dominant and stud type of season that Westbrook is having now as the second option to Durant.

It's like in 2001. They didn't give the MVP to Shaq (28.7 PPG) because Kobe was right behind him on that team at (28.5 PPG) as he made a 6.0 PPG jump from the previous season and was in the conversation as top 2 or 3 best player in the league.

So the NBA decided to give it to a guy who was #1 seed in the Weak East, leading the league in scoring at an inefficient rate and a guy who was doing everything by himself in Allen Iverson.

i don't think that really matters they'll give it to durant as long as his team keeps winning he keeps playing well. maybe if he had one already that may hold true i just don't see anyone taking it from him.

Il Mago50
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Cp3.

seikou8
12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
i don't know if durant should win the award simply because to an extent, westbrook is basically canceling him out. Westbrook is having a career yr in scoring and assists.

You can't be the mvp if the 2nd best player isn't too far off from you.

lebron was mvp last yr because wade wasn't nearly having the dominant and stud type of season that westbrook is having now as the second option to durant.

It's like in 2001. They didn't give the mvp to shaq (28.7 ppg) because kobe was right behind him on that team at (28.5 ppg) as he made a 6.0 ppg jump from the previous season and was in the conversation as top 2 or 3 best player in the league.

So the nba decided to give it to a guy who was #1 seed in the weak east, leading the league in scoring at an inefficient rate and a guy who was doing everything by himself in allen iverson.

yup he gets sp much heat form the media its so unfair

Baller1
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Your sig... :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 03:09 AM

Durant is the new poster boy. Do you think any of your points matter if the Thunder lead the west in wins, which is likely?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Durant is the new poster boy. Do you think any of your points matter if the Thunder lead the west in wins, which is likely?

So then you admit that the Maurice Podoloff League MVP award is nothing more than a sham? It's basically a popularity contest and nothing more. The criteria seems to change every yr for the media and the NBA gurus to hand out the award to the player they had already decided upon before the season even started.

Look at how the criteria has changed over the yrs:

The guy who makes his teammates better (the cliche): Steve Nash

Best player on BEst team: Dirk Nowitzki

The guy that does the most with the least with the best individual stats: LeBron James.

New poster boy and the next big thing: Kevin Durant

That's basically how the award changes from yr to yr.

I mean, WTF does Most Valuable even mean in today's sports?

The award has become a sham.

tredigs
12-09-2012, 05:06 AM

Would it be "likely" if Durant were to sit out 20-25 games though?

Clearly a hypothetical being that Durant never misses games but you get my point...

Durant's MVP stance right now is clear cut and unquestionable from both a team and personal stance but let's wait 3-4 months to see if that stands. No point in arguing this now. It's Durant and the rest. Lebron has still been awesome, but KD caught up + some and his team is better.

bucketss
12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
So then you admit that the Maurice Podoloff League MVP award is nothing more than a sham? It's basically a popularity contest and nothing more. The criteria seems to change every yr for the media and the NBA gurus to hand out the award to the player they had already decided upon before the season even started.

Look at how the criteria has changed over the yrs:

The guy who makes his teammates better (the cliche): Steve Nash

Best player on BEst team: Dirk Nowitzki

The guy that does the most with the least with the best individual stats: LeBron James.

New poster boy and the next big thing: Kevin Durant

That's basically how the award changes from yr to yr.

I mean, WTF does Most Valuable even mean in today's sports?

The award has become a sham.

yes the mvp award is a media award pretty much a popularity contest if guys like boussard have a vote i mean .... lol

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Kobe would be the clear cut MVP right now if the lakers had even close to okc's or the clippers record but since the lakers ain't winning a lot of games so far he's getting no credit! If lakers finish with a top 3-4 record though he might have a chance to get it

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Lakers 1-8 when Kobe scores 30 or more and 8-3 when he's under 30.

That doesn't tell the whole story, I wish some people watched the games before just judging someone by looking at stats

seikou8
12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Kobe would be the clear cut MVP right now if the lakers had even close to okc's or the clippers record but since the lakers ain't winning a lot of games so far he's getting no credit! If lakers finish with a top 3-4 record though he might have a chance to get it

in the west or nba:eyebrow:

tredigs
12-09-2012, 03:02 PM

So you're essentially saying that Kobe is playing like the clear cut best player in the NBA. Can you make a decisive argument for him over KD and Lebron?

Hint: Outlook not so good. .

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2012, 04:14 PM
So you're essentially saying that Kobe is playing like the clear cut best player in the NBA. Can you make a decisive argument for him over KD and Lebron?

Honestly, I as a Laker fan don't care about him getting the League MVP. I'm just happy that he got 1 in his career. But give me the Finals MVP trophy any day of the week. That's what puts up banners up at Staples.

After 17 yrs in the association, I'm just proud of how hard the guy works with such passion and zest. For his entire career he's been knocked for his shooting percentages (which career wise really aren't that bad for a perimeter player who the last half of his career has become so mid-range oriented).

He's shooting 49% from the field (Career is 45.5 and previous career high was just under 47%), he's shooting 39% from 3 pt range (career is about 33% and previous career high was 38%) and he's shooting 87% from the FT line (career is about 84% and previous career high was just under 87%).

He's leading the league in scoring at 28.5 PPG to go along with 5 boards, 5 dimes, and he's averaging the most steals per game (1.7) in 6 yrs since his 07-08 MVP campaign when he averaged 1.8 SPG. Doing all of this in 37 MPG.

I'm just really proud of him and hope he can keep this up and the team can improve as the season progresses.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
in the west or nba:eyebrow:

nba

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-09-2012, 04:21 PM

MVP doesn't always mean best player he's a big reason why the lakers record isn't even worse... U can make a case though that he's been playing like the best player in the league

Baller1
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
MVP doesn't always mean best player he's a big reason why the lakers record isn't even worse... U can make a case though that he's been playing like the best player in the league

No you can't.

tredigs
12-09-2012, 04:39 PM

He's playing with the leagues best center and he's a top player, there's no pity points for that squad. They are terrible right now and he's a part of it whether that's fair or not. We've certainly seen players carry FAR worse squads to elite records. Cp3 and Lebron come to mind.

So being that you're saying "if the Lakers had a better record he'd be the clear cut MVP", I'm asking how so? KD + Lebron both lead top teams, both have played far better defense than Kobe, and both have played better offensively. Numbers back them up. Kobe HAS definitely been awesome so far and deserves credit, but the bottom line is that both of these players have surpassed him and are playing at the top of their game, especially KD. Dude is putting up 27/8.6/4.4 with 1.5stls and 1.5blks on a TS% of 65%. That's incredible. #2 in PER to Lebron where they're both over 28, and he's #1 in Win Shares by a WIDE margin. Kobe's actually #2 at 3.78, KD's at 4.78. That isn't close. For Offensive rating KD's at 123... Kobe's never sniffed that even in his peak seasons.

Kobe's playing like a top 5 player right now, but the gap is noticeable to the top 2.

But hey by all means, let's hear your argument for him.

bucketss
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM

and you say you're not a homer.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
and you say you're not a homer.

Lol I am a homer just like everyone else I'm just not delusional I never said Kobe was the best player I said he can make a case for it

tredigs
12-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Lol I am a homer just like everyone else I'm just not delusional I never said Kobe was the best player I said he can make a case for it

Only apparently you can't.

JordansBulls
12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
When Steve Nash comes back and he takes a sub .500 lottery team and turns them into a 55+ win team and a championship contender he wins his 3rd MVP right?

:nod:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
:nod:

Actually, that is a fair and very interesting question to ask.

What if it Nash comes back (in this system) with the 2 bigs getting healthier and Kobe being Kobe, does he not get some votes if he can catapult the Lakers from a sub-.500 ball club to maybe battling out for a top record in the West towards the end of the regular season?

bucketss
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
hey jb remember last years thread where you swore up and down lebron wouldn't win it :) lol

Baller1
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Actually, that is a fair and very interesting question to ask.

What if it Nash comes back (in this system) with the 2 bigs getting healthier and Kobe being Kobe, does he not get some votes if he can catapult the Lakers from a sub-.500 ball club to maybe battling out for a top record in the West towards the end of the regular season?

Not if OKC or Miami finish with a better record and the numbers stay the way they are.

b@llhog24
12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Only apparently you can't.

"I watch games"

Il Mago50
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
c........p........3

b@llhog24
12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Carmelo is making a case for himself as a candidate.

BklynKnicks3
12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Melo MVP Denver you just got #taped

Cano4prez
12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Carmelo is making a case for himself as a candidate.

How? He wasn't good tonight besides the last 2 minutes? I really cannot see someone other than KD or LeBron winning it

StoicSentry
12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm thinking LeBron, Durant or CP.

Melo has no shot, he is soft and fluffy. He'll fade down the stretch.

BklynKnicks3
12-09-2012, 11:28 PM
34 with 9 fingers is pretty good

b@llhog24
12-09-2012, 11:29 PM
How? He wasn't good tonight besides the last 2 minutes? I really cannot see someone other than KD or LeBron winning it

So he scored all of his 34 points in the last two minutes? And I didn't know being a candidate meant that you had to be a front runner for the award. :confused:

b@llhog24
12-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm thinking LeBron, Durant or CP.

Melo has no shot, he is soft and fluffy. He'll fade down the stretch.

You sound like you want to hug him.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-10-2012, 02:33 AM
someone write down the list of updated MVP ladder..

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Melo MVP Denver you just got #taped

Congrats, you beat the Nuggets.

Even the putrid Lakers beat them and we're 9-12. :laugh2:

bucketss
12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Congrats, you beat the Nuggets.

Even the putrid Lakers beat them and we're 9-12. :laugh2:

lol.

DanG
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Kd
lbj
cp3

Il Mago50
12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Cp3.

bucketss
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM

aww did he hurt his fingers:(

bucketss
12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Cp3.

lol everyone is probably brushing you off but your're the man if you're right at the end.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Durant- 27 points/ 9 rebounds/ 4 assists/ 51% fg/ 44% 3PT/ .279 WS-48/ 27.6 PER
Bron- 25 points/ 9 rebounds/ 7 assists/ 54% fg/ 44% 3PT/ .252 WS-48/ 28.9 PER
cp3- 16 points/ 4 rebounds/ 9 assists/ 49% fg/ 32% 3PT/ .276 WS-48/ 25.4 PER

top 3 imo, if the NBA mvp trophy were given out today lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
hmm if lebron would have gotten to the line his usal 8.7 times, he could have at least averaged 1 more point per game lol

naps
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Durant
LeBron
CP3
Duncan
Melo

That's it. Nobody else has a legit chance IMO.

jmoney85
12-10-2012, 07:06 PM
melo isnt even near the stratosphere of top 3

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I have Kobe as my #1, 2 and 3.

After that, it's not even close.

HouRealCoach
12-10-2012, 08:23 PM

My boy Jeremy Lin can make his case....

It sure is... Especially since humans are only supposed to have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Is kobe the only top 10 player who's team is under .500?

HouRealCoach
12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Dwight Howard?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Let's see:

Bron, KD, Kobe, CP, Dwight, Westy, Melo, KLove, TP, DWILL/Rondo

Yup, just kobe and dwight.

Guppyfighter
12-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Dwill is not a top ten player.

bucketss
12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
melo isn't either.

BBallfan8
12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
melo isn't either.

Except he is... Deron has been PATHETIC as a Net. Guy is going solely off rep at this point, performance wise Idon't even know if he is a top 10 PG the past two years.

BBallfan8
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
PGs I would take over DWill at this point:

CP3
Westbrook
Parker
Curry
Lillard
Holiday

That loser takes 5 threes a game and makes 27% and is 31st out of 33 qualifying PGs in shooting percentage

HouRealCoach
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
PGs I would take over DWill at this point:

CP3
Westbrook
Parker
Curry
Lillard
Holiday

That loser takes 5 threes a game and makes 27% and is 31st out of 33 qualifying PGs in shooting percentage

:facepalm:

If you were a gm and had a choice of signing Deron Williams or those bolded you wouldn't choose Deron?

justinnum1
12-10-2012, 10:48 PM
nice win for miami. atlanta was hot coming into this game.

BBallfan8
12-10-2012, 11:04 PM

If you were a gm and had a choice of signing Deron Williams or those bolded you wouldn't choose Deron?

Have you seen Derons production as a Net? Stop looking at the name, and just look at the stats. This is a man on a max contract...

eddyv7
12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
1.durant or lebron interchangeable
2.kobe
3.melo
4.jrue holiday
5.pau
l6.randolph

JordansBulls
12-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Durant
LeBron
CP3
Duncan
Melo

That's it. Nobody else has a legit chance IMO.

I agree with your list, but Melo needs to be at least top 3 as long as the Knicks have the top seed in the East.

Jesse2272
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
melo isn't either.

Melo will be in the argument get over it

naps
12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
nice win for miami. atlanta was hot coming into this game.

True. A very good win along with the finest shooting guard on the planet getting back to his real-self slowly as the season progresses.

JordansBulls
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Imagine Melo getting MVP. Then the Knicks would have had Willis Reed and Carmelo Anthony as MVP's in there franchise history, two guys who many may not even have considered top 3-5 players in the league at the time of there mvp.

Jesse2272
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Imagine Melo getting MVP. Then the Knicks would have had Willis Reed and Carmelo Anthony as MVP's in there franchise history, two guys who many may not even have considered top 3-5 players in the league at the time of there mvp.

Crazy my dude

seikou8
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
durant will win it even tho he has best second best player out of the people in the running and he is pretty great player in his own right

bucketss
12-11-2012, 01:13 PM

new york media hyping their players wouldn't be surprised.

tredigs
12-11-2012, 04:37 PM
durant will win it even tho he has best second best player out of the people in the running and he is pretty great player in his own right

No different than many, many MVP's before him. Durant still takes them the most valuable and difficult step from playoff squad to proven contender.

Also, there is way too much basketball ahead of us to even bother saying "will win it". Not even a third of the way through the season...

tredigs
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Also, are we positive Carmelo is more important to the Knicks success than Tyson? I've seen some pretty good arguments than he's their main key; though both have been great. Ultimately I don't see him finishing higher than 2nd in a best case scenario though.

D-Leethal
12-11-2012, 04:59 PM
new york media hyping their players wouldn't be surprised.

New York media probably hates the Knicks more than National Media. We slaughter our own here in NY, in every sport. Media crushes dudes here.

BklynKnicks3
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
melo not being top 3-5 = lol basketball is not for u

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
so is dwight howard top 5 on anyones list? not talking about mvp, talking about best players in the nba so far.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
so is dwight howard top 5 on anyones list? not talking about mvp, talking about best players in the nba so far.

So far? No

Will he be by the end of the season when fully healthy? Yes

StoicSentry
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Do you guys think there is a big conspiracy by the refs to shut down Carmelo Anthony??? Or is he just not that good?

justinnum1
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Do you guys think there is a big conspiracy by the refs to shut down Carmelo Anthony??? Or is he just not that good?

he is good, but no where near durant and lebron

BklynKnicks3
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
melo mvp

justinnum1
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
melo mvp

Drugs are bad.

Andrew32
12-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Melo is a beast this year.
Really putting in the effort I expect from a team leader on a night to night basis and making big shots when we need them.

I may not consider him the MVP but he is Top 5.

seikou8
12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
melo got so overrated now he is underrated

HouRealCoach
12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Durant, LeBron, Melo in that order...

Baller1
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
melo got so overrated now he is underrated

Happens to a ton of players on PSD.

I wouldn't say he's underrated now though, just starting to play the way a lot of rational Knicks fans had him ranked... 5-12ish range.

HouRealCoach
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah he still is... He's just in a bad situation, it looks like he wishes he didn't go there

Breeze777
12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Durant
Melo
Lebron
Duncan/Parker
Randolph/Gasol
Kobe (would be higher if his team won more games)

RocketLoc80
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Durant
Melo
Lebron
Duncan/Parker
Randolph/Gasol
Kobe (would be higher if his team won more games)

So you think Melo and Durant are better players then Lebron

ManningToTyree
12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Durant or LeBron will win it but Melo has played like an MVP thus far. He put the team on his back last night to get them back in the game.

Durant
Lebron
Melo

Baller1
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I'll admit, Melo has been impressive this season. And with the Knicks winning, I'll concede that he's in the top 3. Still not ahead of the two juggernauts of the league, but he deserves credit... He's been great.

KnickaBocka.44
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM

The MVP isn't the award for the best player in the NBA, it's for the most valuable player to their respective team.

DragonJaii
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM
lebron n durant are def gonna win, but melo has been a beast.

jmoney85
12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
The MVP isn't the award for the best player in the NBA, it's for the most valuable player to their respective team.

knicks beat the heat by 20 without melo... guess he's not that valuable

KnickaBocka.44
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

#NetsStooge

seikou8
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM

why does all your post have something to with the knicks damn

Il Mago50
12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Cp3

jmoney85
12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
why does all your post have something to with the knicks damn

isn't this an mvp discussion?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-12-2012, 05:46 PM
My vote goes to Melo, then Durant. LeBron will always be an MVP candidate, but I feel this yr, what Melo is doing with the Knicks, taking them into unchartered territory of elitism deserves an MVP nod for sure.

JEDean89
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
had derrick rose not won mvp 2 seasons ago, i would not think that melo has a chance. that year however, rose had a great season, but lebron was better in just about every category and didn't win. rose won that year because, A) he had led his team to a massive improvement and to the #1 seed in the east from the #8, and B) because it seemed like media and the league had simply determined that he was to win and that grassroots campaign worked. i think the league likes changing it up with the MVP, lebron has what 3 MVP's or 4? he will without a doubt win at least a couple more MVP's because he simply dominates statistically, but i dont think he will win every year. this year, i bet it's melo, durant, or kobe (if the Lakers make a huge turnaround and get back in the top few seeds in the west). The MVP in the league right now is Lebron, no one questions that he is the best and he is likely to remain the best for at least the next 3-4 years. However the MVP is not a gauge of the best player in the league but rather the most popular. If Melo can bring the Knicks back to the elite, after a decade of sucking in the biggest sports market in sports, then he will be very, very popular. Remember that Stern loves the Knicks too, which is funny that he condemns the Spurs and loves the Knicks but whatever.

bucketss
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
^dwight should have won tbh

GiantsSwaGG
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Melo passed James. It's between Melo and Durant now

bucketss
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
only thing melo past was his tread mill on his way to burger king

#manboobs

YashBoone
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
only thing melo past was his tread mill on his way to burger king

#manboobs

???

Hash tags are only cool when they work.....Great fail slugger.

jmoney85
12-12-2012, 09:17 PM
???

you got taped

#knickstape

bucketss
12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
???

you just essentially called the whole knick fan base failures

#ThreeToTheDome

#kingKongAintGotSheiiitOnMe

jmoney85
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM

#ThreeToTheDome

#knickstape

seikou8
12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
#ThreeToTheDome

psd is not the whole knick fan not even close and you have some of hate for melo .

bucketss
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
psd is not the whole knick fan not even close and you have some of hate for melo .

well everyone on face book is doing it to but you should know i didn't mean literally the whole fan base;)

Dankster
12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Melo's advance stats across the board will never matchup with Lebron's. Ever. But there's no shame to that because LBJ has been consistently producing out-of-this-world individual statistics for quite some time now, and some of his most efficient years are right there with Michael. Same goes with Durant whose also statistically a notch above Melo but still I can't consider Durant to be in the same stratosphere with James. Lebron is the best all around player on the planet and the distance between him and the 2nd best is not too close.

As a couple people stated this is the most VALUABLE player award and Melo actually in my mind has a excellent shot to win it. The award puts a pretty strong emphasis on team success, and fortunately for Melo his team has been hovering around .500 the past 2 seasons. If he can help the Knicks secure the 1 seed in the East (would have to be no worse than a 2nd seed,) he'd have to be considered a top candidate, especially knowing that he had to put the team on his back for the 1st 25 games of the year without another "star" on his side ala Westbrook or Wade/Bosh.

Nash won it a few years in a row, I don't think he deserved it either year (especially that one year when Mamba put up some gaudy stats,) but this award isn't given to the best player, rather the most valuable.

poleandreel
12-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Knicks fans have far surpassed Bulls fans circa 2010-2011 when DRose won MVP and the Bulls were the #1 seed.

In fact, the Knicks remind me of that Bulls team. One overrated superstar who will not be able to beat Miami and will shoot 25 shots per game at a very inefficient clip. A defensive center who is offensively challenged and a few solid role players. Overall, Miami is still better.

Lesson: STFU about the Knicks. Miami is still the favorite in the East.

Now back to this thread...

The answer is either Durant or Lebron. Lebron averaged 30 points per game and has won the scoring title when he was the only star on his team. Not to mention he was also averaging 8 assists while doing it. He is much better offensively than Carmelo.

Second, Durant is easily better than Anthony offensively. Better Mid range, better 3 pt shooter, better finisher, better passer, better face-up, better free throw shooter etc.

Currently, Durant takes 17 shots per game to Anthony's 20. Want to know what the point differential is? .4. POINT ****ING 4. If Durant took 3 more shots per game...he would average over 30.

Lets also not forget that Durant is MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient than Anthony. .465 to .508. Durant has a 64% true shooting percentage while Melo is at 58%.

19.7 to 11.1 ast% in favor of Durant
122 to 113 offensive rating in favor of Durant
4.8 win shares to 2.8 in favor of Durant (3.2 to 2.2 offensive)
12.9 to 10 rebound % in favor of Durant

Not to mention Durant has been far better in every single offensive and defensive category while sporting a usage rate of about 7% less.

28.6 to 34.2

Durant is more potent offensively. Better defensively. Better in every aspect of the game.

Case Closed.

seikou8
12-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Knicks fans have far surpassed Bulls fans circa 2010-2011 when DRose won MVP and the Bulls were the #1 seed.

In fact, the Knicks remind me of that Bulls team. One overrated superstar who will not be able to beat Miami and will shoot 25 shots per game at a very inefficient clip. A defensive center who is offensively challenged and a few solid role players. Overall, Miami is still better.

The answer is either Durant or Lebron. Lebron averaged 30 points per game and has won the scoring title when he was the only star on his team. Not to mention he was also averaging 8 assists while doing it. He is much better offensively than Carmelo.

Second, Durant is easily better than Anthony offensively. Better Mid range, better 3 pt shooter, better finisher, better passer, better face-up, better free throw shooter etc.

Currently, Durant takes 17 shots per game to Anthony's 20. Want to know what the point differential is? .4. POINT ****ING 4. If Durant took 3 more shots per game...he would average over 30.

Lets also not forget that Durant is MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient than Anthony. .465 to .508. Durant has a 64% true shooting percentage while Melo is at 58%.

Not to mention Durant has been far better in every single offensive and defensive category while sporting a usage rate of about 7% less.

28.6 to 34.2

Durant is more potent offensively. Better defensively. Better in every aspect of the game.

Case Closed.

so derrick rose and melo are overated :facepalm: and chandler is better than noah and two , miami is the favorite but they arent unbeatable people.three your right but rose wasnt the best player in 2010-2011 season and still got it its about who is more important to there teams success and its melo thunder would still make playoffs without durant.

YashBoone
12-13-2012, 08:23 AM
???

#ThreeToTheDome

1) psd does not represent even a fraction of the Knicks fan base.
2) most people I consider real knick fans have been fans forever. Not young kids who started liking Knicks when melo came here and use hash tags everywhere that they don't work.
3) your an idiot
4) Melo = early MVP MVP MVP MVP.

bucketss
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
1) psd does not represent even a fraction of the Knicks fan base.
2) most people I consider real knick fans have been fans forever. Not young kids who started liking Knicks when melo came here and use hash tags everywhere that they don't work.
3) your an idiot
4) Melo = early MVP MVP MVP MVP.

#you're*

BroadwayBullies
12-13-2012, 09:50 AM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

I feel bad for you that you had to exhaust yourself this much with your research in your post. You seem like an intelligent poster, why is it that you don't understand that the MVP is given to the most VALUABLE player and not the BEST player .

If it was the best player, Lebron would have at least 4 MVP's in a row. NO one can tell me Rose had a statistically more significant year than Lebron did during his MVP year in 2010-11.

Also, Bean would have more MVP's, he would've stolen at least 1 of Nash's awards because I don't think many can argue that Kobe wasn't the best player on the planet for at least a stretch of 5 years.

You do know the MVP weighs in the teams overall success right? Durant and Lebron have been on championship contending teams for the past 2 years, Melo has been on a team hovering around .500. If the Knicks can win 55-60 games (tall order,) they'll have one of the largest improvements record wise from last year. That's going to factor in big time as they decide who the MVP is, especially when you factor in that Melo didn't play alongside a star for at least 1/4th of the season.

No one is debating that Melo is better than Lebron or Durant, because he clearly isn't. But if the Knicks keep winning and secure a 1 or 2 seed, he's going to have a very good shot at it this year, regardless of how "inefficient" you may think he is.

Knicks21
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
#knickstape

I wanna get on that list of yours!

Il Mago50
12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
CP_

Can you guess the last digit of the MVP??

bassel
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Durant is really good but I really hope Anthony takes it!

http://americansportnews.com/MVP-Ladder Go anthony!

Breeze777
12-13-2012, 02:39 PM

Lebron is the best in the game...doesnt mean hes the mvp

THE MTL
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

TIMEOUT! Someone needs education.

Forget of all your fancy statistics (what a waste of time btw lol).

Lesson today: MVP IS NOT ABOUT BEING THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NBA!!!!!

I just killed your entire long @$$ post in one line! :D

Beltrans Mole
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Melo certainly has a case. Can't deny that.

RonE Coleman
12-13-2012, 03:40 PM
i wanna get on that list of yours!

:)

D-Leethal
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM

28.6 to 34.2

Case Closed.

Good thing its MVP and not the best player in the league award/player with the best stats award.

Cano4prez
12-13-2012, 06:43 PM
TIMEOUT! Someone needs education.

Forget of all your fancy statistics (what a waste of time btw lol).

Lesson today: MVP IS NOT ABOUT BEING THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NBA!!!!!

I just killed your entire long @$$ post in one line! :D

Not really because Durant is the early MVP

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Not really because Durant is the early MVP

Not if Westbrook is playing like a top 5-6 player in the league as well.

tredigs
12-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Many MVP winners before this disagree with your statement.

ManRam
12-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Many MVP winners before this disagree with your statement.

See: 2011-2012 LeBron James

Baller1
12-14-2012, 01:41 AM

Shaq won it with Kobe on his team in 2000, and that's just one example. Very irrelevant statement.

Il Mago50
12-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Cp3

Baller1
12-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Cp3.

Cp3

CP_

Can you guess the last digit of the MVP??

Cp3

Who do you think should win it?

JordansBulls
12-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Shaq won it with Kobe on his team in 2000, and that's just one example. Very irrelevant statement.

Bad example here though, because Kobe wasn't a top 5-6 player overall in 2000. He was in 2001 though which is why Shaq didn't get it.

Il Mago50
12-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Who do you think should win it?

:D

I'm glad you ask. He is the starting PG of the LAC and the best leader in basketball.

Il Mago50
12-14-2012, 03:07 AM
In conclusion,

C

P

tredigs
12-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Bad example here though, because Kobe wasn't a top 5-6 player overall in 2000. He was in 2001 though which is why Shaq didn't get it.

No, he won it in 2000 because it was his most dominant season, and one of the top 3 most dominant seasons in NBA history. The Lakers also won 64 games, they only won 56 the next year. Kobe at that time was certainly as good or better than Westbrook is now.

When the Sixers finished with the best record in the East* and Iverson led the league in scoring, that's what got him the nod.

In conclusion,

C

P

Dude make a real argument or stop. It's not a funny shtick. He has a slight case (for top 3) so go ahead and make it or shut up with this.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
top 3 for mvp in no particular order

durant
lebron
carmelo

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Shaq was so dominant that season. Their PPG differential was like over 7 PPG. It wasn't until the next season when the 2 had identical PPG averages as Kobe made a 6.0 PPG jump from that 2000 season, and they canceled each other out while Iverson went on to win the MVP. So actually, my argument is still strong and still stands.

GiantsSwaGG
12-14-2012, 03:34 PM
well everyone on face book is doing it to but you should know i didn't mean literally the whole fan base;)

#butttaped

Chronz
12-14-2012, 03:38 PM
What makes you guys think Melo has been more valuable to his team than Durant ?

GiantsSwaGG
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
What makes you guys think Melo has been more valuable to his team than Durant ?

What makes you think otherwise?

Chronz
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
What makes you think otherwise?

Who says I do?

ooooo ..... deep stuff

Anyways, the reason Im asking is because it seems the best arguments against a quality post have been nothing more than deflections.

I understand the MVP doesn't go to the best player but being the best player sure does help. So knowing that it doesnt play a total role, shouldn't those who are arguing against Durant to state their case for why Melo is more "Valuable"?

seikou8
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Who says I do?

ooooo ..... deep stuff

Anyways, the reason Im asking is because it seems the best arguments against a quality post have been nothing more than deflections.

I understand the MVP doesn't go to the best player but being the best player sure does help. So knowing that it doesnt play a total role, shouldn't those who are arguing against Durant to state their case for why Melo is more "Valuable"?

its early but without melo we are not playoff team he is what makes our offense go the draws double teams leave guys open and the thunder are still without kevin durant i think durant will win it but if the knicks can get the one seed or win 58-60 games and melo is playing well he will have a case

GiantsSwaGG
12-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Who says I do?

ooooo ..... deep stuff

I mean IMO Melo doesn't deserve the MVP just yet. I'd still take Durant and Lebron over him, but if he remains hot (which is the key) then I wouldn't be surprise if he wins it. We were projected to be a 5 seed 4th at best and here we are the best team in the eastern conference. Melo is playing superstar ball and is one of the main reason were at the top. His defense has improved (to an average defender) and his shot selection definitely improved as well as his 3pt shot.

Baller1
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Shaq was so dominant that season. Their PPG differential was like over 7 PPG. It wasn't until the next season when the 2 had identical PPG averages as Kobe made a 6.0 PPG jump from that 2000 season, and they canceled each other out while Iverson went on to win the MVP. So actually, my argument is still strong and still stands.

So because the point differential was 6 PPG, your argument still stands? That's a terrible argument.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-14-2012, 07:24 PM
So because the point differential was 6 PPG, your argument still stands? That's a terrible argument.

I think the general consensus among NBA fans was that it was Shaq in 2000 and Kobe didn't really come into form as a legit top 2-3 player in the league until the next season in 2000-2001. I think Game 4 @ IND of the 2000 Finals catapulted Kobe to that next level, and he never looked back from that point on.

There was a huge improvement from Kobe's 4th season in 99-00 (remember, he missed the first 15 games of that season with a broken right hand yet was still shooting one-handed shots during practice with his off left-hand in his time off) to the next yr in 2001. So Kobe missing that many games already to begin the season is where his MVP chances took a hit that season.

PrettyBoyJ
12-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I think right now Carmelo Anthony is leading candidate he's playing at a high level. Lebron may have better numbers but I think he's the main reason for the Knicks turn around

Baller1
12-14-2012, 08:10 PM
I think the general consensus among NBA fans was that it was Shaq in 2000 and Kobe didn't really come into form as a legit top 2-3 player in the league until the next season in 2000-2001. I think Game 4 @ IND of the 2000 Finals catapulted Kobe to that next level, and he never looked back from that point on.

There was a huge improvement from Kobe's 4th season in 99-00 (remember, he missed the first 15 games of that season with a broken right hand yet was still shooting one-handed shots during practice with his off left-hand in his time off) to the next yr in 2001. So Kobe missing that many games already to begin the season is where his MVP chances took a hit that season.

I'm not even trying to say you're wrong, necessarily. All I'm saying is that your initial point is simply not true, in my opinion at least.

Lebron won it with Wade as his teammate. Shaq won with Kobe. MJ won with Pippen...

It happens, I don't think it'll have any affect on Durant's chances.

PatriotsGirl
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Carmelo FTW. He's been rocking it. Love watching him play the game.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-14-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm not even trying to say you're wrong, necessarily. All I'm saying is that your initial point is simply not true, in my opinion at least.

Lebron won it with Wade as his teammate. Shaq won with Kobe. MJ won with Pippen...

It happens, I don't think it'll have any affect on Durant's chances.

Well, I have Kevin at #2 right behind Melo. Melo is taking the Knicks into unchartered territory. They could potentially compete best recording the East. I don't remember the last time that happened, maybe one of those off yrs in 94 or 95 when MJ had his 1st retirement?

bucketss
12-15-2012, 12:19 AM
durantula leads his team to their 10th straight win

#BallingIsHisHobbie

noodle
12-15-2012, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=bucketss;24734338]durantula leads his team to their 10th straight win

Maybe they'll play some away games some day? That would be nice.

Il Mago50
12-15-2012, 02:43 AM
C.....p

Baller1
12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Well, I have Kevin at #2 right behind Melo. Melo is taking the Knicks into unchartered territory. They could potentially compete best recording the East. I don't remember the last time that happened, maybe one of those off yrs in 94 or 95 when MJ had his 1st retirement?

Sorry, but there's no way Melo deserves it over KD.

Better record, better numbers.

stawka
12-15-2012, 03:21 AM
KD
LeBron
Melo

The rest!

Plus... I put a $100 bet on KD when it was paying $4.85 :D

Il Mago50
12-15-2012, 03:26 AM
CP3 25/1 to pay out 11,000, I'd be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-15-2012, 03:27 AM
Carmelo or Durant for me... wouldnt be mad with either choice then its

lebron
cp3
kobe
duncan in no particular order

amos1er
12-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Melo or Durant. Good arguments can be made for both, but I am going to say Melo though because I am sticking with the pick I made at the beginning of the season...not to mention I have some money riding on it.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
C.....p

after reading this and your countless comments, my answer has always been... NO.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-15-2012, 10:36 AM
i agree with everyone with the melo or durant for now.

lets see as time goes by if another player will rise up and be a strong candidate.

bucketss
12-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Melo or Durant. Good arguments can be made for both, but I am going to say Melo though because I am sticking with the pick I made at the beginning of the season...not to mention I have some money riding on it.

i hope you didn't bet too much lmfao

RLundi
12-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Right now it's gotta be Melo. Voters love giving the award (much like COY) to someone who unexpectedly excelled.

RLundi
12-15-2012, 05:33 PM

lebron
cp3
kobe

You're joking right?

Il Mago50
12-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Cp3333333333333333333333333333333

Minimal
12-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Durant or Melo deserve it right now.

justinnum1
12-16-2012, 10:47 AM

lebron
cp3
kobe

Homer alert.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Cp3333333333333333333333333333333

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jesse2272
12-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Right now I have to go with Melo as most valuable with Durant on his heels

LBJ is still the best overall player of the 3

BroadwayBullies
12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
There's still so much time left in the season. But the 2 superstars of the 2 teams with the best records should probably be the prime candidates right now- Melo and Durant.

Lebron SHOULD win it every year, he's the best player on the planet and can turn any team he's on into contenders. But the Knicks sucked for over a decade and they've barely hovered over .500 the last 2 years. Their improvement in the win-loss column is staggering and if they continue close to this pace and can somehow lock up the 1 seed, I don't see anyone outside of Durant taking it from Carmelo (that is, if Carmelo keeps up his play for the rest of the year.)

They're 18-5 without 2 of their 5 starters. That's pretty incredible.

Il Mago50
12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
According to several league sources, CP3333333333333333333

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
1 of Melo, Durant and CP3 will get it.

Matter.
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Jose Calderon :D

BklynKnicks3
12-17-2012, 04:17 PM

guess who is number 1 i guess nba.com are homers to

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

guess who is number 1 i guess nba.com are homers to

Colby? :jumpy:

5ass
12-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Colby? :jumpy:

no, he's behind zach randolph :laugh:

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Lebron SHOULD win it every year, he's the best player on the planet QUOTE]

Do you know what MVP means?

Il Mago50
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Lebron SHOULD win it every year, he's the best player on the planet QUOTE]

Do you know what MVP means?

It's a three letter abbreviation, not so different then CCCCCCCCCCCCC PPPPPPPPPPPP 33333333333333333

Vote CP3

Il Mago50
12-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Second in the west yezzirrrrrrrrrrrrrr CP3

Baller1
12-18-2012, 02:28 AM
OKC has won 19 of 21, and Durant just continues to coast while still putting up insane numbers. It's his to lose at this point.

Il Mago50
12-18-2012, 02:48 AM
I agree with you on the above but don't forget that OKC has had a very vanilla schedule so far this year while LAC has beaten SAS twice, MIA, and basically every other elite team they put in front of them.

OKC has been amazing, but they have not just Durant but another top 10 player in Russell Westbrook, a top 20-25 player in Serge Ibaka, one of the best man defenders in the league in Thabo, sixth man candidate Kevin Martin and other greats.

LAC has similar depth but not to the individual talent extent of OKC (Blake is not a top tier player yet) which puts the emphasis on how much better CP3 has made everyone around him in where they currently reside in the standings.

1. Durant
2. CP3 (very close)
3. Carmelo

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-18-2012, 02:55 AM
no, he's behind zach randolph :laugh:

Noooo!!! Colby!!!!!!! :cry:

tredigs
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with you on the above but don't forget that OKC has had a very vanilla schedule so far this year while LAC has beaten SAS twice, MIA, and basically every other elite team they put in front of them.

OKC has been amazing, but they have not just Durant but another top 10 player in Russell Westbrook, a top 20-25 player in Serge Ibaka, one of the best man defenders in the league in Thabo, sixth man candidate Kevin Martin and other greats.

LAC has similar depth but not to the individual talent extent of OKC (Blake is not a top tier player yet) which puts the emphasis on how much better CP3 has made everyone around him in where they currently reside in the standings.

1. Durant
2. CP3 (very close)
3. Carmelo
It can speak?

Blake is absolutely in Westbrook's tier. 2nd tier superstars. Bledsoe is their Sefalosha equivalent and clearly better overall, Deandre is their Serge (Ibaka passed him overall, but his defense is highly overrated by some) and Crawford equals OKC's Martin. There's absolutely no sympathy vote for the Clips on a team argument versus the Thunder or anyone else. Which would mean he would have to have been individually better than KD. I love Cp3, but there is no case that this is true. I'll challenge you to make it though.

JordansBulls
12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
In the end, this looks like it may come down to CP3 or Durant whoever finishes with the top spot out west. With the Clippers 11 game winning streak going on they are 2nd out west now.

ManRam
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I really hope Paul gets an MVP in his career. If this is his best shot, that I'm rooting for him.

He's certainly in the discussion. Still not enough separates LeBron, Melo, KD and him though.

Kobe's got no shot, despite playing his best individual ball in a long time. Even if the Lakers turn it around drastically, he probably won't get the credit needed.

Il Mago50
12-18-2012, 02:44 PM
It can speak?

Blake is absolutely in Westbrook's tier. 2nd tier superstars. Bledsoe is their Sefalosha equivalent and clearly better overall, Deandre is their Serge (Ibaka passed him overall, but his defense is highly overrated by some) and Crawford equals OKC's Martin. There's absolutely no sympathy vote for the Clips on a team argument versus the Thunder or anyone else. Which would mean he would have to have been individually better than KD. I love Cp3, but there is no case that this is true. I'll challenge you to make it though.

just for that lol...CP33333333333333333

juster1028
12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
:o:mad::):(:rolleyes::cool::confused::facepalm::D: speechless::clap::cry::eyebrow:muy vote goes to colbe brian he can do it all in the world best basketball evr

StarvingKnick22
12-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Dwight Howard is a wanker for pushing Melo down!!!!!

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Dwight Howard is a wanker for pushing Melo down!!!!!

Yes, he pushed him on purpose.

Melo ran into a physical beast. Deal with it.

Il Mago50
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
It can speak?

Westbrook is a top 10 player who can score at will and doesn't have any significant weaknesses, he's arguably as good as Rose. Westbrook is a first tier superstar who is playing with the best or second best player in the league.

Meanwhile, Blake is a second tier superstar at best. He has gotten better but the guy can't hit a free throw, still doesn't have a consistent midrange game and is basically Amare 2.0 (early Suns version before the Spurs playoff matchup where he blew up). He's an all-star but he's barely a top 15-20 player.

Westbrook>>>Blake

Ibaka is a borderline all-star if he got a few more opportunities and in my opinion is the best role player in the league by far. Meanwhile, Deandre, can't hit a free throw, isn't anywhere the shot blocker that Ibaka is and is no where near as talented.

Ibaka>>>>Jordan

Crawford is better then Martin, no contest.

Bledsoe is overall better then Thabo, I agree.

The Clippers are a deeper team in terms of talent but OKC is by far better in terms of top heavy talent no question. CP3 has depth around him but he doesn't have the kind of surrounding talent that Durant does.

tredigs
12-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Westbrook is a top 10 player who can score at will and doesn't have any significant weaknesses, he's arguably as good as Rose. Westbrook is a first tier superstar who is playing with the best or second best player in the league.

Meanwhile, Blake is a second tier superstar at best. He has gotten better but the guy can't hit a free throw, still doesn't have a consistent midrange game and is basically Amare 2.0 (early Suns version before the Spurs playoff matchup where he blew up). He's an all-star but he's barely a top 15-20 player.

Westbrook>>>Blake

Ibaka is a borderline all-star if he got a few more opportunities and in my opinion is the best role player in the league by far. Meanwhile, Deandre, can't hit a free throw, isn't anywhere the shot blocker that Ibaka is and is no where near as talented.

Ibaka>>>>Jordan

Crawford is better then Martin, no contest.

Bledsoe is overall better then Thabo, I agree.

The Clippers are a deeper team in terms of talent but OKC is by far better in terms of top heavy talent no question. CP3 has depth around him but he doesn't have the kind of surrounding talent that Durant does.

A 20/10 big (slightly less this year due to the team being so deep and him playing less minutes) who can pass, post a TS% >55% (Westbrook's at a despicable .508%), and now plays solid D is every bit the same tier as Westbrook. They're both of the young ultra elite budding superstars with flaws in each of their games. "Westbrook has no flaws" you say. You're insane. Shot selection, tempo/control issues, and turnover prone to name 3. Equal PER's with Griffin having the edge in Win Shares. Both top 15-20 players with top 10 potential on any given night. Absolutely the same tier in an argument concerning somebody's cast.

I won't bother dissecting each player further because it's a non issue. The point is that they both have tremendous help and it's a moot point when discussing either teams record. You're getting down to semantics that nobody cares about when going into it any further than that as it pertains to an MVP debate.

CP3's been very good, but he's still leaving a little to be desired for me. Maybe it's because he only plays 2/3rds of the game with their stacked roster (KD plays 39.4 to his 33.1), but that team just seems to be firing on all cylinders with or without him. When KD's out, all hell breaks loose. his +/- is staggering, meanwhile Cp3 actually has a negative +/-. Meaning they've been better with him off the floor). Obviously I realize Cp3's skill and contributions and think it's somewhat misleading, but it's definitely food for thought.

KD has been both more productive individually and more important to his team; Then everyone.

Il Mago50
12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
A 20/10 big (slightly less this year due to the team being so deep and him playing less minutes) who can pass, post a TS% >55% (Westbrook's at a despicable .508%), and now plays solid D is every bit the same tier as Westbrook. They're both of the young ultra elite budding superstars with flaws in each of their games. "Westbrook has no flaws" you say. You're insane. Shot selection, tempo/control issues, and turnover prone to name 3. Equal PER's with Griffin having the edge in Win Shares. Both top 15-20 players with top 10 potential on any given night. Absolutely the same tier in an argument concerning somebody's cast.

I won't bother dissecting each player further because it's a non issue. The point is that they both have tremendous help and it's a moot point when discussing either teams record. You're getting down to semantics that nobody cares about when going into it any further than that as it pertains to an MVP debate.

CP3's been very good, but he's still leaving a little to be desired for me. Maybe it's because he only plays 2/3rds of the game with their stacked roster (KD plays 39.4 to his 33.1), but that team just seems to be firing on all cylinders with or without him. When KD's out, all hell breaks loose. his +/- is staggering, meanwhile Cp3 actually has a negative +/-. Meaning they've been better with him off the floor). Obviously I realize Cp3's skill and contributions and think it's somewhat misleading, but it's definitely food for thought.

KD has been both more productive individually and more important to his team; Then everyone.

I didn't say Blake hasn't gotten better because he has but he's still probably the most overrated player in the league besides Kevin Love. Westbrook has the same ability that Durant has to put a team on his back and he's done it just as often in the past few years as Durant has because that's his style of play, he's a scoring PG.

I agree that both have a lot of help but my point is that you can't look solely on the statistics in order to understand a player's worth to a team. Without either guy, their team would be significantly worse there's no question about that, Durant is the second best player in the league and CP3 is the league's best PG and leader.

What should not be ignored is the mental edge and control on a game that CP3 has on the floor that makes his team all the better. Do you think any other PG would be able to get this much out of this roster that CP3 has other then maybe Rondo or Nash? He orchestrates everything on the floor for the team, something that a true PG does. And when the time comes to close out games, there aren't too many better closers then CP3.

It's hard to compare them statistically because they play different positions and different styles of game. You can never expect CP3 to put up 28-30 PPG because of his style of play and his physical limitations. Durant is a scoring wing and because of that, statistically speaking, he'll always be more impressive for the mere fact that the ball will be in his hands more often with a scoring mentality or the pass-off if doubled. A PG's job is to put the ball in the hands of the players that should have it on the floor and with that, assists don't always come because you're not always on the attack before you find someone, you're simply putting players on the floor in a position to succeed.

Both are great, I think it'll come down to them two and whoever has the better record at year's end. You have valid points as well but acknowledge that I have some as well.

tredigs
12-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I didn't say Blake hasn't gotten better because he has but he's still probably the most overrated player in the league besides Kevin Love. Westbrook has the same ability that Durant has to put a team on his back and he's done it just as often in the past few years as Durant has because that's his style of play, he's a scoring PG.

I agree that both have a lot of help but my point is that you can't look solely on the statistics in order to understand a player's worth to a team. Without either guy, their team would be significantly worse there's no question about that, Durant is the second best player in the league and CP3 is the league's best PG and leader.

What should not be ignored is the mental edge and control on a game that CP3 has on the floor that makes his team all the better. Do you think any other PG would be able to get this much out of this roster that CP3 has other then maybe Rondo or Nash? He orchestrates everything on the floor for the team, something that a true PG does. And when the time comes to close out games, there aren't too many better closers then CP3.

It's hard to compare them statistically because they play different positions and different styles of game. You can never expect CP3 to put up 28-30 PPG because of his style of play and his physical limitations. Durant is a scoring wing and because of that, statistically speaking, he'll always be more impressive for the mere fact that the ball will be in his hands more often with a scoring mentality or the pass-off if doubled. A PG's job is to put the ball in the hands of the players that should have it on the floor and with that, assists don't always come because you're not always on the attack before you find someone, you're simply putting players on the floor in a position to succeed.

Both are great, I think it'll come down to them two and whoever has the better record at year's end. You have valid points as well but acknowledge that I have some as well.

You do. I agree with everything in this post with the exception of your Griffin/Westbrook mindset. I love me some Cp3's game and would love to see him earn an MVP, but to be honest I feel the same about Durant. And right now I have to go with who I feel is the better overall producer. Just from minutes played alone (in an otherwise very close debate), I'm going KD.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Durant
Melo
Cp3
Lebron
Kobe in that order

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
You're joking right?

Having Kobe 5th in disgusting?? Really?

Minimal
12-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Looking at Lakers record right know, I can say Kobe has a chance of around 1% to win MVP this year.

justinnum1
12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
kobe is not even in the running and won't be. If the lakers turn it around then nash might have a chance.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Cobly 4 M-V-P. YessuH! :rock:

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 08:11 PM
kobe is not even in the running and won't be. If the lakers turn it around then nash might have a chance.

Lol u can't even admit Kobe will have a chance but Nash will? Lol ur a joke if anyone on the lakers has a chance of winning MVP it will be Kobe

Minimal
12-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Lol u can't even admit Kobe wont have a chance but Nash will? Lol ur a joke if anyone on the lakers has a chance of winning MVP it will be Kobe
Do you know how to read? He says "If the lakers turn it around then nash might have a chance." If Nash comes back and Lakers start to win, that means Nash brings more value to the team than Kobe, with Kobe commanding the Lakers, the team sucks. I'm more than sure that with Nash coming back nothing is gonna change.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Do you know how to read? He says "If the lakers turn it around then nash might have a chance." If Nash comes back and Lakers start to win, that means Nash brings more value to the team than Kobe, with Kobe commanding the Lakers, the team sucks. I'm more than sure that with Nash coming back nothing is gonna change.

Still Kobe will get more credit they are on a 3 game winning streak and yes I do know how to read I ain't dumb

justinnum1
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Still Kobe will get more credit they are on a 3 game winning streak and yes I do know how to read I ain't dumb

:laugh:

they beat the wizards, 76ers and got lucky against the bobcats

The lakers are back!!!!!!!

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
:laugh:

they beat the wizards, 76ers and got lucky against the bobcats

The lakers are back!!!!!!!

Thank you a win is a win!!! We didn't lose to the wizards at least!
;)

justinnum1
12-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you a win is a win!!! We didn't lose to the wizards at least!
;)
Miami has nothing to prove. Lakers do, and all they have proven is they are not an elite team with multiple stars. Sad.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Miami has nothing to prove. Lakers do, and all they have proven is they are not an elite team with multiple stars. Sad.

Nash out Gasol playing hurt , change of coaches(System) understandable dont worry we are playing for June not December

justinnum1
12-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Durant clearly in the lead

JordansBulls
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
1. Durant
2. Melo/CP3
3. Lebron
5. Kobe/Duncan

No one else has a shot.

BklynKnicks3
12-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Melo should be mvp easily Durant has a top 10 mvp canidate on his team/

bucketss
12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Melo should be mvp easily Durant has a top 10 mvp canidate on his team/

and he still putting up better numbers lol durant is taking this league over man i feel sorry for this league truly tell your boy to get a ring before durant hits his final form.

justinnum1
12-19-2012, 11:02 PM
and he still putting up better numbers lol durant is taking this league over man i feel sorry for this league truly tell your boy to get a ring before durant hits his final form.

As long as lebron is in the same conference as melo, melo won't be making it to the finals.

bucketss
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
As long as lebron is in the same conference as melo, melo won't be making it to the finals.

exactly melo tryna bang with the big boys tell him to sit his *** down.

BklynKnicks3
12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
durant having a great year the award means who is mvp not who is having a better season

BklynKnicks3
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
exactly melo tryna bang with the big boys tell him to sit his *** down.

Melo is the big boy he dont need wade or westbrook just a solid roster

bucketss
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Melo is the big boy he dont need wade or westbrook just a solid roster

off course he needs them lol hes done nothing since coming to new york 1 playoff win since his whole time here and that was a fluke tbh

seikou8
12-19-2012, 11:11 PM
off course he needs them lol hes done nothing since coming to new york 1 playoff win since his whole time here and that was a fluke tbh

:bla::bla: whatever hater