PDA

View Full Version : Which teams could the current Lakers beat in the playoffs

ewing
12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Put any coach you want at the helm, hell you can have Norman Dale if you want, how do you think the team the Lakers floored last night fair in an NBA playoff series.

Last night the Lakers started

Chris Duhon
Kobe
Metta
Jamison
and D12 (we'll say d12 is at about 70%)

your bench is Jody Meeks and Jordon Hill

I think Kobe would will them buy the current Wolves or Houston- (both currently playoff teams). I don't think they could beat down anyone and I think they would have a very tough road and would likely lose to this years Nuggets or even the GS warriors. I don't see anyway the current lakers team could win a 2 playoffs series or sniff a upset against any of the top 4.

310Casper
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
all of them

once nash returns

LAKobeBryant
12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
stupid discussion questions now days.

Baller1
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Well if they don't get a top 4 seed, and play anything like they are now... They'll be a first round exit.

sep11ie
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Well the Lakers lost to the Rockets by 2.
We beat the Knicks by like 30.

What's that tell ya?

ManRam
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
all of them

once nash returns

Nash isn't single handily going to turn the Lakers from an 8-10 team to a Finals team...

But, I think come playoff time, barring an injury to Kobe or Dwight, they'll figure things out enough and end up being very formidable contenders. But they got some work to do. Luckily, it's a long *** season.

I don't think anyone can answer this question with certainty on December 5th. Come back 3-4 months from now and we'll actually know a bit better.

310Casper
12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Nash isn't single handily going to turn the Lakers from an 8-10 team to a Finals team...

The lakers arent truly an "8-10" team, and I think most people who know anyting about basketball know this.

Just like the heat werent truly your "9-8" team to start last year.

To start alone, the Lakers have gone through 2 coaches, a ton of new players (pretty much half the roster), their starting AND 2nd string pointguards injured, its a TON of things. Everyone knows they will start to gel together just like the Heat did.. once Nash returns and the Gasol issue is figured out, things will start to get on track.

But if you truly think this is your typical "8-10 team" then go ahead and think that.

Dade County
12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Lakers will make it to the 2nd round, it depends on the script writers if they get further then that.

ewing
12-05-2012, 05:17 PM

But, I think come playoff time, barring an injury to Kobe or Dwight, they'll figure things out enough and end up being very formidable contenders. But they got some work to do. Luckily, it's a long *** season.

I don't think anyone can answer this question with certainty on December 5th. Come back 3-4 months from now and we'll actually know a bit better.

I don't think anyone can predict things with certainty. I agree that down the line if healthy the Lakers could be a good team. IMO right now they are not. Down the line if they fail you can blame D'antoni or whoever is the coach. I think you can already make a case that passing over Phil was a probably a bad idea but no coach would have the current team playing like a top team. Right now, coach aside, they are flooring a borderline playoff team at best,

Lakers fans better hope D12 starts picking it up

DanG
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
2nd round exit with this team right now.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
The lakers arent truly an "8-10" team, and I think most people who know anyting about basketball know this.

Just like the heat werent truly your "9-8" team to start last year.

To start alone, the Lakers have gone through 2 coaches, a ton of new players (pretty much half the roster), their starting AND 2nd string pointguards injured, its a TON of things. Everyone knows they will start to gel together just like the Heat did.. once Nash returns and the Gasol issue is figured out, things will start to get on track.

But if you truly think this is your typical "8-10 team" then go ahead and think that.

Sure, they're not THIS bad, but they're playing like it.

My only point is that if you think Steve Nash is the only thing that needs to change, well, you're in for a disappointment.

SteveNash
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
all of them

once Phil returns

Fixed.

Lakers couldn't beat any playoff team with that lineup under D'Antoni.

ewing
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Sure, they're not THIS bad, but they're playing like it.

My only point is that if you think Steve Nash is the only thing that needs to change, well, you're in for a disappointment.

I disagree. Without Nash, with a ailing or non-existent Gasol, and D12 playing the level he did the last month the lakers are a 500 team at best

torocan
12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure this discussion really matters.

Right now the top 4 seeds in the West are...

Memphis 13-3
OKC 15-4
Spurs 14-4
Clippers 11-6

I expect the top 3 will stay with Memphis, OKC and the Spurs barring a significant injury. And it's hard to see the Lakers topping the Clippers in their division simply due to time.

Even After Nash and Pau get back, it will take significant time to sort out team chemistry and everyone to get in rhythm. By that time it would take a stupendous win rate to climb back to a 4th seed.

At best I'm thinking the Lakers are in the 5-8 seed.

This means they will need to get past the FIRST round before they can face teams like Dallas, Houston, Utah or Golden State -- which would ONLY happen if there's a HUGE first round upset by one of those teams.

Even IF they get to the 2nd round it will STILL probably be one of Memphis/SAS/OKC + 1, so being somewhat favored to beat the lower tier playoff teams just doesn't help all that much.

The West is just going to be crazy tough in terms of first round match ups unless they can get into the 5th seed or better.

So yah, hypothesize about what Playoff teams they might be able to beat, but really it probably comes down to whether they can beat OKC/SAS/Memphis in the first round.

DumDum
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
they catch the 5th seed

bucketss
12-05-2012, 05:41 PM
knicks

ewing
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
knicks

they would get embarressed

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Lakers will make it to the 2nd round, it depends on the script writers if they get further then that.

Whats the director (stern) have in mind for the heat this year?

jbeezy
12-05-2012, 06:41 PM
If its a one game playoff then any team. 50/50 but if its a 7 game series I dont think they win very many.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I disagree. Without Nash, with a ailing or non-existent Gasol, and D12 playing the level he did the last month the lakers are a 500 team at best

He fixes the defense how?

WAYNEBO
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Los Angeles Sparks

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM

What's that tell ya?

Absolutely nothing, good try though.

Wizards beat Miami last night, does that mean anything.

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Nets and Celtics

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Honestly, and I know I will get some ridicule for saying this, but I don't think that any team, even Miami or OKC, could beat the Lakers right now in a seven game series. (I'm assuming that Pau and Nash are ready for duty).

Sure, Miami or OKC would win the first two games maybe, and maybe by a lot. But then the Lakers would start to get pissed, and start to get focused, and to jell, and to zero in on what they can do to that other team.

KOBE is playing like a 27 year old MVP candidate right now, basically he's playing perfectly, and he's sharing and distributing as well.

Nobody has been able to REMOTELY come close to defending Dwight Howard, the best we've seen is the hack a Shaq from Orlando and San Antonio.

The other guys on the team look solid, and the bench is fairly deep.

If it goes seven games... Lakers are winning. That's how I see it right now. I think these Lakers could go 4-3 against any team in the league.

kobebabe
12-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Anyone once they fire MDA and bring in the Zen master ;)

RonE Coleman
12-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Anyone once they fire MDA and bring in the Zen master ;)

Phils gonna help Dwight hit free throws now?

SouthSideRookie
12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Honestly, and I know I will get some ridicule for saying this, but I don't think that any team, even Miami or OKC, could beat the Lakers right now in a seven game series. (I'm assuming that Pau and Nash are ready for duty).

Sure, Miami or OKC would win the first two games maybe, and maybe by a lot. But then the Lakers would start to get pissed, and start to get focused, and to jell, and to zero in on what they can do to that other team.

KOBE is playing like a 27 year old MVP candidate right now, basically he's playing perfectly, and he's sharing and distributing as well.

Nobody has been able to REMOTELY come close to defending Dwight Howard, the best we've seen is the hack a Shaq from Orlando and San Antonio.

The other guys on the team look solid, and the bench is fairly deep.

If it goes seven games... Lakers are winning. That's how I see it right now. I think these Lakers could go 4-3 against any team in the league.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/are%20you%20shtting%20me/grand/are-you-shtting-me-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-150.gif

Dade County
12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Whats the director (stern) have in mind for the heat this year?

I don't no who the "heat" are, but if you mean HEAT, thats kind of difficult to read into, because Mr Stern might want to go out with a bang, and go against plans, and make the horrible people of New Work really, really, happy.

lol

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't no who the "heat" are, but if you mean HEAT, thats kind of difficult to read into, because Mr Stern might want to go out with a bang, and go against plans, and make the horrible people of New Work really, really, happy.

lol

lmao.. I like that man

leafswin2011
12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
if they won there division they would be out 2nd round and if they didnt win the division they would be out 1st round.having said that they are missing an allstar point guard...where would any other team be without there pg.take westbrook off OKC rose off CHI,Paul from LA.Just cause the lakers are stacked they are still without a huge part of there offence.

ewing
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
He fixes the defense how?

who?

ManRam
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
who?

Steve Nash...the guy someone said makes the Lakers a better team than everyone else in the NBA.

ewing
12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Steve Nash...the guy someone said makes the Lakers a better team than everyone else in the NBA.

Ok, was confused. i think you quoted me by mistake.

nickdymez
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
New Orleans

NYKnickFanatic
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM

What's that tell ya?

That the Knicks had a really bad game.

ManRam
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Ok, was confused. i think you quoted me by mistake.

I don't know.

I said, in response to that other guy, that he's wrong to think that Nash will magically fix every problem. He made it sound like all the Lakers need is Steve Nash. My point is that the return of Steve Nash doesn't cure every problem. You said you disagreed with that post. I then asked how Nash fixes the defense, to illustrate my point that the Lakers' problems are greater than just not having Steve Nash.

eddyv7
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
it is safe to say the Lakers would be at least a top 3 seed in the west when Nash comes back. that being said i think the Lakers could beat the clippers, the grizzlies, the rockets, the timber wolves the nuggets and the warriors in a seven game serious. lets not forget the lakers are way more experienced in the post season than any of those teams

NYJ - NYY
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
it is safe to say the Lakers would be at least a top 3 seed in the west when Nash comes back. that being said i think the Lakers could beat the clippers, the grizzlies, the rockets, the timber wolves the nuggets and the warriors in a seven game serious. lets not forget the lakers are way more experienced in the post season than any of those teams

i dunno man those two teams are big bruisers with a side of finess at the rim

ewing
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't know.

I said, in response to that other guy, that he's wrong to think that Nash will magically fix every problem. He made it sound like all the Lakers need is Steve Nash. My point is that the return of Steve Nash doesn't cure every problem. You said you disagreed with that post. I then asked how Nash fixes the defense, to illustrate my point that the Lakers' problems are greater than just not having Steve Nash.

Sorry i think i got lost in translation- anyway what i disagreed with it was the statement that the Lakers aren't this bad. I think they are. They are built around 4 players (the rest of the team is pretty much trash) and they have gotten nothing or little from 3 of them in lot of there games thus far.

I think the Lakers can be very good but i think there current record reflects their talent and health so far this season

SLY WILLIAMS
12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
That talent is more than many teams in the NBA.

Knicks fans heard excuses and the scapegoating of players for 4 years. Most fans would be very happy to just have Kobe, Dwight or Nash never mind all 3 of them plus Gasol, Artest, and Jamison.

The Knicks changed coaches to Woodson and started winning immediately.