PDA

View Full Version : Lakers reportedly tell Gasol to adjust to D’Antoni’s system or face trade

Yankees1115
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Lakers reportedly tell Gasol to adjust to D’Antoni’s system or face trade

http://nba.si.com/2012/12/04/pau-gasol-trade-talks-los-angeles-lakers-mitch-kupchak/

This wasn’t the “You’ve been traded” phone call and it wasn’t even the “You’re being shopped” heads up, but Lakers management has reportedly taken a first step toward putting veteran big man Pau Gasol back on the block.

ESPNLA.com’s Dave McMenamin reports that Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak reached out to Gasol’s people to let them know that the 32-year-old Spaniard isn’t untradeable.

However, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently spoken to Gasol’s representatives and the gist of the conversation was that if Gasol is unable to adjust to [new coach Mike] D’Antoni’s system, the team will have no choice but to search for possible trade scenarios.

Chris Mannix of SI.com reports that trade talks aren’t likely to develop until after Dec. 15, when players who were signed as free agents during the summer of 2012 become trade-eligible.

League execs believe LA won’t have any real discussions for Pau until [point guard Steve Nash is back from injury] and past the 15th, when summer signed contracts are in play.

Gasol will sit out Tuesday’s game against the Rockets with tendinitis in both knees. He’s in the midst of the worst season of his career, averaging 12.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.2 blocks while playing 34.8 minutes a night. He’s shooting a career-low 42.0 percent from the field, in large part because his game has shifted from low-post looks to a perimeter-first approach. For a full exploration of that shift, check out this Point Forward feature from last week.

To make matters worse, Gasol’s numbers have only declined since D’Antoni replaced the fired Mike Brown and interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff. In seven games under D’Antoni, the Lakers are 3-4 and Gasol has averaged just 10.1 points and 8.0 rebounds while shooting 38.8 percent. He’s been benched down the stretch of multiple games and is averaging just 30 minutes per game.

The trading block is a familiar place for Gasol, who was nearly moved to the Rockets in Dec. 2011 until commissioner David Stern reportedly stepped in to veto a three-team deal that would have sent Hornets guard Chris Paul to the Lakers. Paul was eventually traded to the Clippers, the Lakers traded forward Lamar Odom to the Mavericks and Gasol stayed put in Los Angeles.

The Lakers’ payroll currently sits at $100 million, a figure that brings with it a huge luxury tax bill and mammoth expectations. Gasol is the only big salary player likely to be traded — Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard aren’t going anywhere — so it’s no surprise his name has come up this quickly, especially after his slow start. The Lakers are currently 8-9 and could fall further below .500 with nine of their remaining 13 games in December on the road.

It won’t be easy for the Lakers to construct a trade involving Gasol, especially if his quality of play is limited by injury. Gasol is on the books for $19 million this season and a fully-guaranteed $19.3 million next season. Those figures are among the NBA’s highest and look particularly large under the league’s new collective bargaining agreement. According to HoopsHype.com, Gasol is the ninth-highest paid player in the league, although two of the players above him on the list — Brandon Roy and Gilbert Arenas — had part or all of their salaries amnestied. Gasol makes the equivalent of two quality players, more than three mid-level players and five or six players on rookie contracts. The NBA’s salary cap is currently $58 million, so paying Gasol next season would eat up nearly 1/3 of a team’s cap figure, making it difficult to fill out a quality roster without exceeding the cap or potentially going into the luxury tax. That doesn’t eliminate interest in his services, by any stretch, but it does limit the number of possible buyers.

Even if they wanted, is his contract even realistically movable. Who would be some trade ideas?

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I think this thread was made already. Lakers looking at Ryan Aderson...

On a side note, i dont even have to go into the Lakers forum to read about the Lakers, its all front page headlines...

Raps_93
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
bargs for gasol.

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
This is pathetic. Perhaps there is a problem with the coach, not the player. On top of that, he's been playing hurt since the beginning of the season.

Does Jim Buss and Mitch forget that he helped this organization win two championships and get to the finals three times?

LAL has that talent to win. If they are below .500 perhaps they should look at the coach to find out where the issues lay.

xxplayerxx23
12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
:laugh: I love how they blame everything on Pau.

waveycrockett
12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Knowing kupchack they will trade Gasol and get like Kyrie Irving back

xxplayerxx23
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Knowing kupchack they will trade Gasol and get like Kyrie Irving back

No chance, Gasol's value is down right now.

SINCESTARBURY25
12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Gasol for Amare yes? Okay

ewing
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
This is pathetic. Perhaps there is a problem with the coach, not the player. On top of that, he's been playing hurt since the beginning of the season.

Does Jim Buss and Mitch forget that he helped this organization win two championships and get to the finals three times?

LAL has that talent to win. If they are below .500 perhaps they should look at the coach to find out where the issues lay.

Gasol seems to have had a problem with the system since the day Dantoni got here. Dantoni hasn't even had time to put in a system. Perhaps Gasol should stopped *****ing try to pick up what is being taught and then allow Dantoni to adjust to how Gasol fits

Max.This
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
For who? Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson? Lol WAKE UP!!:rolleyes:

xxplayerxx23
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I will never understand why LA fans think Smith is a good fit :pity:

Yankees1115
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Obviously this will be the biggest rumor considering all the puzzle pieces.

- D'Antoni and STAT connection
- Both have huge contracts
- Both have knee and/or leg issues

This deal probably makes sense but I def do not see it happening. I personally as a Knicks fan would rather have STAT at this point of both of there careers. STAT is younger and if he can regain his former self he can play at a higher level the Pau at this point in time.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Was last nights loss Pau's fault? I have seen this kind of scapegoating before. I think Pau could help a lot of teams. He was a huge part of the Lakers winning 2 rings.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Poor Pau...seriously.

Oh well. I've always said that I think Ryan Anderson would be a PERFECT fit, but I just can't see why NO would want Pau. It will be interesting to see what they can get for him. I don't see why many/any team that isn't currently contending would want Pau. Pau is great, but he's 32 and is owed a ton of money next season. If that team he's going to can't contend by next season (ie, NO, Toronto...even ATL), why would they bother?

The ultimate scapegoat. Kobe must be grinning.

The Best Around
12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
The chances of Gasol for Amare happening are ZERO. They would be 100% if not for the fact that Amare's contract is one year longer. The Lakers will have a TON of cap room after next year. If Gasol is traded, they would want a bad contract/young player combo (with bad contract ending by end of next year). It is a tough position as there is almost no way to get equal value for Gasol because of the contract.

ewing
12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Was last nights loss Pau's fault? I have seen this kind of scapegoating before. I think Pau could help a lot of teams. He was a huge part of the Lakers winning 2 rings.

No he didn't play last night. That doesn't mean he hasn't sucked. The Lakers have no bench. No Nash and very disappointing Gasol are definitely a big part of the Lakers struggles

JiffyMix88
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Lin and Jones for Gasol and Duhon

ewing
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Poor Pau...seriously.

Oh well. I've always said that I think Ryan Anderson would be a PERFECT fit, but I just can't see why NO would want Pau. It will be interesting to see what they can get for him. I don't see why many/any team that isn't currently contending would want Pau. Pau is great, but he's 32 and is owed a ton of money next season. If that team he's going to can't contend by next season (ie, NO, Toronto...even ATL), why would they bother?

The ultimate scapegoat. Kobe must be grinning.

No he is not. You can say that he is being given too much blame but you cant ignore the fact the fact he has sucked. Pau needs to be a big part of this team as does Kobe, Nash, and D12. Weather its b/c of injury or whatever Pau has sucked hence he is part of the problem

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I dont see why people is so obsesed with the amount of the contract.

it is two years only.

gilbert arenas got moved.

and Joe Jonson got Moved ( With the new cba on effect)

so, i dont see that big of a deal.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
No he is not. You can say that he is being given too much blame but you cant ignore the fact the fact he has sucked. Pau needs to be a big part of this team as does Kobe, Nash, and D12. Weather its b/c of injury or whatever Pau has sucked hence he is part of the problem

He is a Symptom.

but not the illness.

203 Uconn LaL
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
That son of a buss is running this franchise into the ground. Dantoni is the problem not gasol

xxplayerxx23
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Its sick how LA blames Gasol. LOL Sorry you had high expectations. Some of you said there was no way you would be beat. Kobes numbers will only go south (shooting wise) and if Nash doesn't fit in then your team will be a failure.

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:03 PM
He is a Symptom.

but not the illness.

Whats the illness? A coach that hasn't even had time to do anything yet

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
That son of a buss is running this franchise into the ground. Dantoni is the problem not gasol

How was Gasol playing under Mike Brown?

_KB24_
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Can't believe we were able to pull off nabbing Chris Paul for him......die in a hole Stern.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 02:10 PM
How was Gasol playing under Mike Brown?

badly but better than with dantoni................

he has been playing hurt toough.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Whats the illness? A coach that hasn't even had time to do anything yet

How many NBA championships has Pau won?

How many has the coach won?

How have the Knicks played since the coach left?

Dade County
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
The Lakers some how need to get a sf & pf that can light it up.. I mean pure jump shooters.

And I think a bigger problem is the Lakers bench; I hope the league doesn't help them out with a cheat trade.

Chronz
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM

it is two years only.

You cant base your theories on what a market like Brooklyn did, particularly in their special situation. They were moving to a new city, they needed to appease Deron to retain his services and they needed the fans to have some household names to watch..

If you can find another Prokerhov(??) with such deep pockets, a thirst for competition without being in danger with regards to the luxury tax then you will find a trade partner for Pau. Sadly I dont think there are many markets that can pull that off. Even less that can give the Lakers what they would want in return.

You would likely need a 3-team trade in which the team that gets Pau is a contender and the third team involved gives the Lakers what they are looking for. With both parties supplying draft picks/assets to the middle man.

Good luck

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
badly but better than with dantoni................

he has been playing hurt toough.

I didn't say his poor play was b/c he wants to suck just showed that facts do not support the idea that it is the coaches fault that he has sucked. His injury only supports my statements.

The Lakers have 4 good basketball players, when 1 doesn't play, 1 plays really bad, and a 3rd hasn't played up to expectation the team will struggle. Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, and Mike D'antoni can not put the ball in the basket for these guys.

monty77
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
It's impossible that a man with 33 years change his game style. Pau isn't the PF who D'Antoni's system need because currently he is already a slow player. Yes! he is a great player, and Lakers won two ring thanks to him (with Kobe alone it would have been impossible) but if they trust in D'Antoni, Pau have to leave.

Even Kenyon Martin, who could arrive free to L.A would be adjusted better than Gasol to his system so Lakers could sell Pau and not asking nothing on return, they just should try to save some money.

There are some PF that would adjust to D'Antoni's demands. In the league players who can play like PF and SF are not well regarded and this is the kind of player that the new coach desire: Beasley (Phoenix), Tyrus Thomas (Bobcats), Smith (Atlanta, expiring contract) is the best they can hope as consideration.

On the other hand, Lakers shall think about real chances they have to resign Howard next year. Pau maybe isn't the best option to play as PF in this system but he would be a good center, there are no doubt about it.

So if Howard left, Lakers would need a man like Pau, then I think the best moment to trade Gasol is next summer, when salaries tax are higher and Gasol will play his last year in NBA (I think he will come to Europe in 2014-15 season) and Lakers will know if Howard remain in the team.

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
How many NBA championships has Pau won?

How many has the coach won?

How have the Knicks played since the coach left?

So Pau Gasol continued his poor play b/c the Knicks are a better team under Mike Brown then Mike Dantoni?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Somehow, I can see Mitch pull off another coup like Pau to MIL for Monta Ellis. I'm sure Milwaukee wants that big man after having to deal with an injury-riddled Bogut all those yrs.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-05-2012, 02:21 PM
So Pau Gasol continued his poor play b/c the Knicks are a better team under Mike Brown then Mike Dantoni?

Pau is injured but is a proven winner.

Did D Antonio have similar problems with multiple players in NY?

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Pau is injured but is a proven winner.

Did D Antonio have similar problems with multiple players in NY?

The problem is the Pau Gasol has sucked and the Lakers aren't winning many games. I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

Dade County
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Somehow, I can see Mitch pull off another coup like Pau to MIL for Monta Ellis. I'm sure Milwaukee wants that big man after having to deal with an injury-riddled Bogut all those yrs.

Would he be the 6th man, or does Kobe slide to the 3?

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
The problem is the Pau Gasol has sucked and the Lakers aren't winning many games. I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

realy?

id swear there was no pau gasol yesterday.

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
realy?

Read this slowly then read it again. When one of the Lakers best players plays poorly it will hurt the team. When one of there best players does not play it will also hurt the team.

Yankees1115
12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

it is two years only.

Joe Johnson got moved because the NETS were desperate to sign anybody going into a new arena after missing out on Dwight. They had to sell season tickets somehow and that type of deal would never happen mid season.

Pistol_Pete
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
The Lakers called to let Gasol know that he isn't untradeable? Really? Did that have to be mentioned? The guy who's been part of trade rumors for years? They guy who actually was traded before it was nixed? Come on.

Seriously though. How could Gasol possibly want to be in LA still? I don't think that D'Antoni was the right coach for LA, and I think this is partially a result of that. If they keep up this play though, somethings going to have to happen, and I don't think they're going to admit D'Antoni was a mistake.

JOhnnyTHaJet
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Anderson would make a ton of sense for the Lakers. But obviously New Orleans would also have to comply.

TheNumber37
12-05-2012, 02:42 PM
1. Ryan Anderson
2. Bargnani
3. Josh Smith
4. David Lee
5. Amare

mamba24
He is a Symptom.

but not the illness.

thats an awesome way to describe it... Each of the star's on this team has a symptom that leads to the team issues... Pau isnt playing well, kobe shooting 15 times more than anyone else, dwights free throws, nash's broken leg, poor bench production... If something doesnt change this illness will become terminal.

KB-Pau-DH2012
Would he be the 6th man, or does Kobe slide to the 3?

I think for the time being, while we wait for Nash (who will probably be out until Christmas) and Blake (who won't return until the All-star break), he'd be the starting PG, and then when Nash comes back, he'll be the primary backup to Nash as he can handle the rock.

I can certainly see D'Antoni go small ball for majority of the minutes with Nash at the 1, Monta at the 2 and Kobe at the 3, Jamison at the 4 and Dwight at the 5. That would be perfect for his system.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
realy?

He's talking about when Pau first started to suck, dating back to the 2010-2011 season, and how that season ended with Phil getting swept for the first time ever and for the 1st time in his career, having to punch one of his star players in the chest.

CityofTreez
12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Read this slowly then read it again. When one of the Lakers best players plays poorly it will hurt the team. When one of there best players does not play it will also hurt the team.

WTF?

This applies to any team. This is the Lakers though, and expectations are higher than they have ever been. What you said makes some sense, but LA management isn't taking that approach this year. If the teams playing poorly, a scapegoat will emerge, hello Gasol.

Also, It's not hard to notice Gasol doesn't really mesh well in D'Antonis system. This is kind of routine with some players who inherit D'Antoni as their coach.

PLAYERS FAN
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I thought a good coach make adjustments with the talent he have. Talking about stubborn?

LOOTERX9
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Dantoni is just a gimmick coach, nothing more, nothing less. He will never win a title with his european style system. Plus he needs all the right players to even run his style of no defense and chucking up 3's offense. Dantoni was a disaster here in ny and he's a disaster out there in L.A too. Lets give them amare for gasol so dantoni can be happy. lol

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
WTF?

This applies to any team. This is the Lakers though, and expectations are higher than they have ever been. What you said makes some sense, but LA management isn't taking that approach this year. If the teams playing poorly, a scapegoat will emerge, hello Gasol.

Also, It's not hard to notice Gasol doesn't really mesh well in D'Antonis system. This is kind of routine with some players who inherit D'Antoni as their coach.

it applies to every team b/c it makes sense. The fact that the lakers still lost with Jordan Hill and the ghost of Antwan Jamison on the floor does not mean that a lack of production from Pau Gasol is not part of the problem.

This team was built around 4 guys. The rest of the team is awful. One of those 4 guys hasn't played. One is working his way back. One was really bad and has now been shut down. The other is Kobe.

D'antoni hasn't even been in LA long enough to put in a system. If him and Gasol have personal problems that maybe a cause for concern but it is not why they haven't won. Lack of production from the guys they are dependent on is why they are losing.

Nash and Gasol the lakers biggest problems as well as the only solutions given the current roster

shep33
12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
We need to build a stable Jenga tower in order to succeed in LA

C_Mund
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Most people in the Raps forum have always said that Bargs would only reach his potential if he were on a front line with somebody like Dwight. Both Howard and Bargnani would go HAM if AB could stretch the defense and Dwight could have all the room in the world to play with. Also, Bargs' shooting would be great for the Lakers in general, and his style of play would be perfect for a D'antoni system.
Bargs + Kleiza are both fairly cap-friendly contracts, can shoot and Kleiza would be a good option behind MWP with his post-up game. Pau would bolster a Raptors starting unit that desperately needs some more conventional and experienced play. I think it'd be win-win.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Did this coach have problems with players in NY?

What was the Knicks record last season with this coach?

Gasol is 1 player on a 15 man team. He is injured and being made in to a scapegoat.

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't see why LAL blames Pau for all these problems.

If Dwight shot 80% from the free throw line, the Lakers would be over .500 right now, but nobody points the finger at Diwght. Kobe doesn't come out and say: "Dwight needs to put his big boy pants on and start hitting free throws." I don't hear 'antoni calling out Kobe in the media and tell him he's taking too many shots.

I don't see why this team disrespects Pau so much after all he's done for them. This is just bizarre. This would be like Boston telling Bird or McHale that they were on the block because they were adjusting to Chris Ford's offence. Fawking stupid.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Dantoni is just a gimmick coach, nothing more, nothing less. He will never win a title with his european style system. Plus he needs all the right players to even run his style of no defense and chucking up 3's offense. Dantoni was a disaster here in ny and he's a disaster out there in L.A too. Lets give them amare for gasol so dantoni can be happy. lol

His system doenst have a single ounce of european Style.

99% of the teams run haf court, extreme pressurig defense systems here.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't see why LAL blames Pau for all these problems.

If Dwight shot 80% from the free throw line, the Lakers would be over .500 right now, but nobody points the finger at Diwght. Kobe doesn't come out and say: "Dwight needs to put his big boy pants on and start hitting free throws." I don't hear 'antoni calling out Kobe in the media and tell him he's taking too many shots.

I don't see why this team disrespects Pau so much after all he's done for them. This is just bizarre. This would be like Boston telling Bird or McHale that they were on the block because they were adjusting to Chris Ford's offence. Fawking stupid.

Nobody is "blaming Pau for our problems". Everyone is blaming Jim Buss for going this route with Mike Brown to Mike D'Antoni and telling Phil to go to hell.

The frustration with Pau comes from the fact that he's making close to $39M over these last 2 yrs and he's been sucking since Phil's last season in 2010-2011, when Phil had to end his coaching career by having to punch one of his star players in the chest for the first and only time in his illustrious iconic career, and that star player he punched was Pau Gasol.

Pau has not been Pau since Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.

No matter who the coach has been since then...Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, Bernie Bickerstaff or Mike D'Antoni, Pau has not played like Pau, and that's where the frustration is building off of; but by no means are we as Laker fans levying the entire situation on Pau.

Kobe is still chucking hard and turning the ball over, Nash is out with injury, Dwight is slowly getting over his back surgery but he is the worst FT shooter I've ever seen in a P&G uniform, bench is still inconsistent as crap, and all these coaching changes and changing of systems doesn't help the cause either. And add to the fact that Pau now has tendinitis, it's just a mess right now through-and-through.

xnick5757
12-05-2012, 03:31 PM
doesn't gasol have a 15% trade kicker in his contract too? that makes him even more expensive to move

EDIT: yep, he does - http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/12-13salaries.htm

(scroll down to LA Lakers and look at his contract details)

American Psycho
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I think this thread was made already. Lakers looking at Ryan Aderson...

On a side note, i dont even have to go into the Lakers forum to read about the Lakers, its all front page headlines...

Yeah it seems as though non-Lakers fans care about the club more than all the Lakers fans do.

ewing
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
You guys just love a soap opera. The lakers aren't very good right now. There starting PG is Chris Duhon, there starting PF is Antwan Jamison, there best bench players are Jody Meeks and Jordan Hill, after Hill i don't see one guy that belongs on an NBA roster

Let compare that to good teams in the west

OKC Westbrook, Ibaka, Kevin Martin and Nick Collison

Clips Chris Paul, Blake, Jamal and Barnes

Memphis Conoly, Zach, Allen and Authur

Spurs: Parker, Duncan, Manu, Neal

The Lakers aren't very good right now

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
D'antoni hasn't even been in LA long enough to put in a system.

The whole reason Mitch and Buss said they hired 'Antoni over Jackson is because he could impliment his system quickly. He hasn't.

When Lawrence Frank took over the Nets, he got them on like a 14 game winning streak. Didn't take him long to get his system in place.

the Nuggets were 17-25 when George Karl took over and went 32-8 for the rest of the season. He got his system in pretty fast

and in both instances, they didn't have nearly as much talent as LAL.

Don't give me this ''atoni hasn't had enough time to get his system in". He's losing games because he's making bad rotation chocies... leaving Howard on while they do hack-a-howard and you lose by a basket? they would have won that game if they took him off the court and put Hill in. but 'antoni gave hill a DNP the game before....

'Antoni doesn't know how to win with this roster... he's alienated an All-star player in Gasol and threw him under the bus after two games, he's not getting Howard the ball often enough, and when teams go to the hack-ahoward, he's not adjusting to it. and he's letting Kobe do wahtever the fawk he wnats...

this guys is not the right coach for the Lakers.

xnick5757
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
this is what a trade kicker is btw:

A trade kicker, or trade bonus, is an amount of money paid to a player if he is traded during his contract. Only a few players have trade kickers as a part of their deals, many of them stars who can command such clauses during negotiations. Trade kickers are usually a certain percentage of the remaining value of the contract, but sometimes they are a fixed amount. In either case, they can’t exceed 15% of the deal’s remaining value.

For salary cap purposes, the kicker counts toward the cap of the team acquiring the player, and the bonus is spread evenly over the remaining years of the contract. So, if Player X has a $2.5MM trade kicker and two more seasons left on his contract after this year, the kicker counts as $500K for the rest of this season and $1M each for the next two seasons.

so his salary if traded is actually around 21-22 million a year (15% of remaining deal is a little over 5 million)

ewing
12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Nobody is "blaming Pau for our problems". Everyone is blaming Jim Buss for going this route with Mike Brown to Mike D'Antoni and telling Phil to go to hell.

The frustration with Pau comes from the fact that he's making close to $39M over these last 2 yrs and he's been sucking since Phil's last season in 2010-2011, when Phil had to end his coaching career by having to punch one of his star players in the chest for the first and only time in his illustrious iconic career, and that star player he punched was Pau Gasol.

Pau has not been Pau since Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.

No matter who the coach has been since then...Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, Bernie Bickerstaff or Mike D'Antoni, Pau has not played like Pau, and that's where the frustration is building off of; but by no means are we as Laker fans levying the entire situation on Pau.

Kobe is still chucking hard and turning the ball over, Nash is out with injury, Dwight is slowly getting over his back surgery but he is the worst FT shooter I've ever seen in a P&G uniform, bench is still inconsistent as crap, and all these coaching changes and changing of systems doesn't help the cause either. And add to the fact that Pau now has tendinitis, it's just a mess right now through-and-through.

This team would not win with Phil. They aren't very good right now. If Dwight rounds into from they can be decent. Without Nash and Gasol providing significant production the Lakers aren't very good

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
This team would not win with Phil. They aren't very good right now. If Dwight rounds into from they can be decent. Without Nash and Gasol providing significant production the Lakers aren't very good

So basically you're suggesting that we can't gauge this team until Nash and Gasol come back fully healthy and Howard gets fully healthy as well, right?

ewing
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
The whole reason Mitch and Buss said they hired 'Antoni over Jackson is because he could impliment his system quickly. He hasn't.

When Lawrence Frank took over the Nets, he got them on like a 14 game winning streak. Didn't take him long to get his system in place.

the Nuggets were 17-25 when George Karl took over and went 32-8 for the rest of the season. He got his system in pretty fast

and in both instances, they didn't have nearly as much talent as LAL.

Don't give me this ''atoni hasn't had enough time to get his system in". He's losing games because he's making bad rotation chocies... leaving Howard on while they do hack-a-howard and you lose by a basket? they would have won that game if they took him off the court and put Hill in. but 'antoni gave hill a DNP the game before....

'Antoni doesn't know how to win with this roster... he's alienated an All-star player in Gasol and threw him under the bus after two games, he's not getting Howard the ball often enough, and when teams go to the hack-ahoward, he's not adjusting to it. and he's letting Kobe do wahtever the fawk he wnats...

this guys is not the right coach for the Lakers.

********. Open your eyes. Your team is aweful. Jody Meeks is your 6th man. Chris Duhon is your starting PG. Jordan Hill is your first big off bench.

I think the Nets had a prime Kidd, JR, and VC and were playing in an aweful conference. Not only were they better they played worst teams

The Nuggets had Melo, Camby, Nene, KMart, Leonard, Miller. That nuggets team sweeps the team the Lakers are currently flooring unless Kobe steals one by dropping 50 plus

ewing
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
So basically you're suggesting that we can't gauge this team until Nash and Gasol come back fully healthy and Howard gets fully healthy as well, right?

You can gauge them but you cant expect them to be one of the best teams in the West. They aren't close regardless of coach. They are flooring a bad team right now but are being gauged based on the expectation that they be great

iam brett favre
12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
They are ****ing *******s if they think Pau is a problem.
It really makes me hate Lakers fans to be so spoiled that they they can complain about someone as good as Gasol has been for them.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 04:01 PM
It really makes me hate Lakers fans to be so spoiled that they they can complain about someone as good as Gasol has been for them.

Here's the thing, we could care less what you think about us Mr. Favre.

SteBO
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
You can gauge them but you cant expect them to be one of the best teams in the West. They aren't close regardless of coach. They are flooring a bad team right now but are being gauged based on the expectation that they be great
You have to guage them within reason though, which is what 3/4 of the comments in this thread is NOT doing. Reality is, this team isn't healthy. Not Nash, not Blake, not Dwight, and not Pau. Why is this so hard to grasp? You can point to their bench all you want to, but their best 4 players are going to determine their fate and as I said, they're broken.

shep33
12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
We should be okay. 2 of our top 4 players are out. Dwight ain't there yet. No point guards. 3rd coach this year. 2nd offensive system. If you did that with any other team they'd struggle just as much as we have

CityofTreez
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Wow, never knew the Lakers FO was that dumb.

How does a new system justify a system that was already in place, and was successful. I wonder how long it took them to reach that decision....

ewing
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow, never knew the Lakers FO was that dumb.

How does a new system justify a system that was already in place, and was successful. I wonder how long it took them to reach that decision....

Yeah i don't buy that. Any coach they hired would have the rest of the season. They have some beef with Phil. That's why he wasn't hired.

Gram
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Just using Pau as an excuse.

Poor Pau.

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Kobe seems to strongly support Pausimodo.

Realistically, if Pausimodo can be healthy and adjust somewhat to Dant'oni's philosophy, and can ring the scoring bell reliably, then it makes a lot of sense to just stick it out with him the next two years.

The article does bring up a good point of how enormously expensive Pausimodo is, however. At $20M he pushes the Laker payroll to $100M and with luxury tax essentially costs $40M a year, or $80M+ over two years.

So, good as he is, he would cost half as much on a team that is below the luxury threshold, and would be a much better value. Realistically, if the Lakers could fill holes with an athletic stretch four and a defensive scoring SF for Pau, they probably gotta do it.

If not they could keep him but he is extremely expensive especially if he is only scoring like 9 points a game or whatever.

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
also when we traded Odom we took back a draft pick and received a salary exemption, so it is possible we could trade him for a lower salary... is that correct? Or is there some different rule in play that requires the salaries to match now?

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
also, if Pau went to Milwaukee, Toronto or NO for two years, after his expensive contract is up he could sign in New York or Boston as a coveted 34 year old free agent, still in really good shape and able to score a lot of points and be a star.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM

Lakers fans are spoiled, but I can't knock them for that. Their team just does it for them. I'm jealous, and I can't hate things I'm jealous about.

And while I do agree with this amazingly well-written and insightful post - a post that only the great iabf could pull off - that Pau isn't THE problem...I do think he isn't a great fit. He's not the reason they're losing (if you think any one thing is the reason they're losing you're wrong, period), but he doesn't fit too great. I really thought he would, but that was with Mike Brown.

The criticism he's getting from SOME fans is outrageous, but that's how sports go.

NYY 26 to 7
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the world of D'Antoni Laker fans. If things aren't working its always going to be because guys aren't fitting his system or aren't buying into his system. He is the only coach I know who really can not adapt to his personnel. He will continue to scapegoat players and castoff blame to his players. D'Antoni should really be a college coach - he would really be amazing there where he can pitch a fun uptempo style and recruit his guys. What a way to get your stock up for the NBA and have a fun time playing, while things are centered on the coach and not players. The NBA is about the players and college is about the coach. Just wait because soon enough it will be Kobe who he says is the problem if things don't work (if they trade Pau). Hopefully for your guys sake he learned something from his failure in NY.

smith&wesson
12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
gasol for bargnani and kleiza.

bargs would be the perfect fit in dantoni's system playing beside dwight. either he or ryan anderson.

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Lakers fans are spoiled, but I can't knock them for that. Their team just does it for them. I'm jealous, and I can't hate things I'm jealous about.

And while I do agree with this amazingly well-written and insightful post - a post that only the great iabf could pull off - that Pau isn't THE problem...I do think he isn't a great fit. He's not the reason they're losing (if you think any one thing is the reason they're losing you're wrong, period), but he doesn't fit too great. I really thought he would, but that was with Mike Brown.

The criticism he's getting from SOME fans is outrageous, but that's how sports go.

You're right, Pau isn't the positive cause of the Lakers losing right now, but on the other hand he isn't preventing them from losing, or capable of solving their problems, either.

He is definitely an asset, though. Nobody should be saying that the team is losing simply because of Pau. Laker fans are displaying a somewhat spoiled mob mentality right now, it started with the Mike Brown thing and is really somewhat unusual for LA.

smith&wesson
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
dantoni is a terrible coach.. i dont know why the lakers didnt just get phil back or reach out to sloan.

SlimKid
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
A coach refusing to adjust to the strengths of one of his best players... yeah, that will work out well.

DumDum
12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
So then what will the lakers record will be ? Anybody want to ballpark it ?

akagiredsuns
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Will you please stop trying to reunite the Suns in LA? Why not get Raja Bell too while you're at it and we can have the L.A. Suns now? :facepalm:

xnick5757
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Pau Gasol is unlikely to be traded at this point because Steve Nash made the Lakers promise to keep Gasol before signing with L.A., a source told Ric Bucher.

Gasol, who remains sidelined with knee tendinitis and will not play Wednesday, has struggled in Mike D'Antoni's offense. While some of that may be due to balky knees, it's also fair to wonder how much Gasol's game has been affected by Nash (leg) being out of the lineup. Both Gasol and Nash have admitted they're not sure how long they'll be sidelined, but it'll be interesting to see how much impact Nash has on Gasol once he returns.

akagiredsuns
12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
dantoni is a terrible coach.. i dont know why the lakers didnt just get phil back or reach out to sloan.

Because Phil's demands were ridiculous. He wanted a huge say in player and personnel decisions, and only wanted to coach home games because he can't travel. He's a great coach, but what are the Lakers gonna do? Skype him in road games during timeouts to create plays?

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Because Phil's demands were ridiculous. He wanted a huge say in player and personnel decisions, and only wanted to coach home games because he can't travel. He's a great coach, but what are the Lakers gonna do? Skype him in road games during timeouts to create plays?

lmfao!

Chronz
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I heard that was all BS. Has Phil confirmed or denied those demands?

CityofTreez
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah i don't buy that. Any coach they hired would have the rest of the season. They have some beef with Phil. That's why he wasn't hired.

Lakers fans giving their opinions on Phil, and BS is the only answer.

Gotta love D'Antoni!

Spurred1
12-05-2012, 07:21 PM

I thought the Lakers had a press release admitting this wasn't true. They screwed Phil over...and got the worst coach for the Lakers.

Sssmush
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I thought the Lakers had a press release admitting this wasn't true. They screwed Phil over...and got the worst coach for the Lakers.

The Lakers never made any such statements in the media. All of the reports about Phil's outlandish prima dona demands and his organizational power grab surfaced through media sources "close to Phil Jackson" or "close to the situation" but nothing came from the Lakers.

The Lakers have downplayed the reports and not discussed the specifics of the negotiations, and Phil Jackson for his part has only said that he thought they were in the middle of negotiations and would have a chance to talk to them again on Monday, but they went with Danto'ni before then.

kobe4thewinbang
12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Gasol just needs to say "screw y'all, I'm done with this Lakers BS."

Trade him to a team that will appreciate his talents and place him in a comfortable role, not force him to do something that comes unnatural to him. He can finish out his career and enjoy playing ball again.

They should've traded him long before now. Brown didn't value Gasol either.

IversonIsKrazy
12-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Im sick of this. I hope that they do trade him for someone else and suck even more. One day they'll realize that Pau was never the problem, he helped them win twice while going to the finals 3 times. Spoiled franchise.