PDA

View Full Version : Can Kevin Durant Surpass Larry Bird?

5ass
12-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Do you think Durant can eventually surpass Larry Bird to become 2nd best SF of all time? (1st being Lebron)

asandhu23
12-04-2012, 11:32 PM
no

Sly Guy
12-04-2012, 11:36 PM
yes. These types of questions are easy to answer. Yes he can. But greatness takes sustained excellence.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-04-2012, 11:38 PM
He has the talent. But I think he'll end up being 3rd on the list.

Mr_Amaziing
12-04-2012, 11:39 PM
My opinion is Yes

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 11:41 PM
lol, Yes he can.

asandhu23
12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
:laugh2: you guys are so blinded by the media, its not even funny. Top 3 in Small Forward list? yer kidding.

JordansBulls
12-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Basically you are saying you think Durant can be top 6-8 all time.

bucketss
12-04-2012, 11:45 PM
he can potentially be the goat

Raps18-19 Champ
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
:laugh2: you guys are so blinded by the media, its not even funny. Top 3 in Small Forward list? yer kidding.

The guy is going to be a top 3 player in the league for at least a decade. The guy has potential to win numerous MVP's and he's bound to win a couple of titles.

Bird and Lebron will be in the top 2. 3rd is attainable with individual and team success. I mean the 3rd best SF is Erving. So it's not like Durant doesn't have a chance.

IversonIsKrazy
12-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Dr. J

bucketss
12-04-2012, 11:50 PM

:facepalm:

Thunder-Sooner
12-04-2012, 11:50 PM
When did James pass Bird?

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Let us not assume tht LBJ is number one. I think that is up to debate. It really depends on what level of excellence James maintains over the next few season and what kind of success he brings to the people around him.

That said, I will address the question at hand.

Can he? Yes, he could. That doesn't mean he will. Even if he plays at his current level for another ten season I would be hesitant to say yes. That would mean he maintianed his high level of play longer than Bird, but Bird was, aside from being a great scorer, and certainly a better shooter than Durant, was also a much better rebounder and play maker. Durant would have to improve his game to be in that conversation.

That said he is rebounding the ball very well this season, and judging from the box-scores i would say it seems like he is putting out the effort to be a play maker as well. I hope this works out and he develops that skill.

So yes... he could, but I haven't seen the kind of all-around game from Durant that would leave me to believe it WILL happen. But he is making the efforts to improve his game. We'll see where it goes over the next couple of season. Who knows, Durant may pass LBJ as well.

bucketss
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
are we watching the same kid? durant is one of the only guys left in the league with goat potential.

Longhornfan1234
12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't think KD will surpass LeBron or Bird. I think he will surpass Irving, though.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't think KD will surpass LeBron or Bird. I think he will surpass Irving, though.

He's already ahead of Kyrie Irving.

Mr_Jones
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I am a cat

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
You guys really underestimate Larry Bird.

I bet you that if you were to asked to pick an all-time list for 1 game for all the marbles, and had to fill in that SF spot, you'd pick prime Bird over prime LeBron or KD anyday.

Thunder-Sooner

I think he meant Julius Erving.

Longhornfan1234

Julius Erving. You knew what the fvck I meant.

Thunder-Sooner
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM

I bet you that if you were to asked to pick an all-time list for 1 game for all the marbles, and had to fill in that SF spot, you'd pick prime Bird over prime LeBron or KD anyday.

I know I would.

Baller1
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM

I would take Lebron over anyone at any position, excluding MJ. Seriously.

b@llhog24
12-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Not sure. Possibly.

ChiSox219
12-05-2012, 12:18 AM
are we watching the same kid? Durant is one of the only guys left in the league with goat potential.

i would take lebron over anyone at any position, excluding mj. Seriously.

+1

--23--
12-05-2012, 12:25 AM

:shrug: i was thinking that also.

jerellh528
12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Lebron might be able to, I don't know about kd yet but probably not

ghettosean
12-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Lebron won a title last season didn't you know he is automatically the GOAT at SF now :facepalm:

Feel bad for bird a bit but I'll say this... If Larry Bird called up MJ and say hey lets play on the Celtics together or the Bulls then I might agree that LBJ is the GOAT at that position otherwise... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no!

Some already thing Lebron is greater than MJ :facepalm:

ManRam
12-05-2012, 12:44 AM
He's got a long way to go. Could he? Sure. Will he? I'm not so certain...

meloman1592
12-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Lebron didn't even pass bird yet and we're talking about KD? Cmon

tredigs
12-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Let us not assume tht LBJ is number one. I think that is up to debate. It really depends on what level of excellence James maintains over the next few season and what kind of success he brings to the people around him.

That said, I will address the question at hand.

Can he? Yes, he could. That doesn't mean he will. Even if he plays at his current level for another ten season I would be hesitant to say yes. That would mean he maintianed his high level of play longer than Bird, but Bird was, aside from being a great scorer, and certainly a better shooter than Durant, was also a much better rebounder and play maker. Durant would have to improve his game to be in that conversation.

That said he is rebounding the ball very well this season, and judging from the box-scores i would say it seems like he is putting out the effort to be a play maker as well. I hope this works out and he develops that skill.

So yes... he could, but I haven't seen the kind of all-around game from Durant that would leave me to believe it WILL happen. But he is making the efforts to improve his game. We'll see where it goes over the next couple of season. Who knows, Durant may pass LBJ as well.

You say that Larry was "certainly a better shooter than Durant". Then Lebron? Yes. But what makes you say that about Larry over Durant? Certainly not the numbers as KD shoots now.

As to the question. Yes, of course. He's already a legendary talent and has proven to have the work ethic to match. But he needs to have a long and storied career ahead of him to make that happen. And I do not put LBJ over Bird yet. Relative equals I can deal with.

b@llhog24
12-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Lebron didn't even pass bird yet and we're talking about KD? Cmon

Yet? It's NEVER going to happen.

THE MTL
12-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Lebron won a title last season didn't you know he is automatically the GOAT at SF now :facepalm:

Feel bad for bird a bit but I'll say this... If Larry Bird called up MJ and say hey lets play on the Celtics together or the Bulls then I might agree that LBJ is the GOAT at that position otherwise... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no!

How many HOFers did Bird play with? Last time I checked Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale were HOfers and voted as top 50 nba players of all time. Did Lebron James come close to having this type of support.

I hate when ppl use the excuse of oh Lebron James needed Wade/Bosh. KObe had Shaq, MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale/Parish, Erving had Malone...and LBJ has Wade.

THE MTL
12-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Durant has potential to be better than Bird, but he needs to match Bird's resume first.

rocketfuel
12-05-2012, 03:21 AM

Yeah, imagine if Bird did what Miami did and recruited MJ and Karl Malone...and then two years later they added Reggie Miller. Kind of a late 80's version of the Miami Heat. That would be something....kind of wish they tried that one year.

Baller1
12-05-2012, 03:35 AM
How many HOFers did Bird play with? Last time I checked Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale were HOfers and voted as top 50 nba players of all time. Did Lebron James come close to having this type of support.

I hate when ppl use the excuse of oh Lebron James needed Wade/Bosh. KObe had Shaq, MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale/Parish, Erving had Malone...and LBJ has Wade.

Yes, thank you. I agree... It's such a cop-out to discredit Lebron. Everyone wins with amazing supporting casts, that's how basketball works.

5ass
12-05-2012, 03:42 AM

:shrug: i was thinking that also.

I was thinking that by the time Durant has a case against Bird, Lebron would have proven himself to be the best SF ever.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2012, 03:54 AM
eeck, way too early for that question.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2012, 03:55 AM
You say that Larry was "certainly a better shooter than Durant". Then Lebron? Yes. But what makes you say that about Larry over Durant? Certainly not the numbers as KD shoots now.

As to the question. Yes, of course. He's already a legendary talent and has proven to have the work ethic to match. But he needs to have a long and storied career ahead of him to make that happen. And I do not put LBJ over Bird yet. Relative equals I can deal with.

I assume you believe LeBron will indeed pass Bird?

NBAfan4life
12-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Lebron Honestly isn't that far off of Bird. Really a few more seasons of normal Lebron James play and a championship and it is a wrap. You can make a serious case against him my all time favorite Kobe and many of the other greats.

I'm not even a James fan I always root against him, but it is hard to hate his game.

As to the question KD has the potential, but lets see how healthy he can stay over the next 10 years.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/155jj7l.png

I blacked out anything that makes it obvious who Durant is, including win shares. LeBron and Bird are pretty close in WS - with LeBron having more OWS and Bird more DW.

I think I know who'd I'd pick if I were just looking at the raw numbers, but they're pretty close. I think it's safe to say that KD isn't in the discussion yet, so comparing accolades between LeBron and Bird, and well, it's pretty close.

Bird played 13 seasons, this is LeBron's 10th. LeBron will be making his 9th straight ASG. Bird made it 12 times, only not making it in 1989, when he missed essentially all of the season.

Bird won 3 championships, and lost twice in the Finals. He has two NBA Finals MVPs.
LBJ has won 1 championship, and also has lost twice. He has one NBA Finals MVP.

LeBron and Bird are both 3 time NBA MVPs.

If you really think LeBron can't surpass Bird, I'm not sure you're thinking straight. He certainly CAN. His numbers are as good, if not better than Bird's. He'll end up playing more season, thus accumulating more counting stats (which some people care about too much). He'll have more shots at rings, MVPs and Finals MVPs. He could finish more decorated too.

KD isn't close, because he doesn't have the individual accolades, or event the stats (hint: he's B, Bird is A and LBJ is C). But he's got a TON of time, and just about all the talent in the world.

ChiSox219
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM

I blacked out anything that makes it obvious who Durant is, including win shares. LeBron and Bird are pretty close in WS - with LeBron having more OWS and Bird more DW.

I think I know who'd I'd pick if I were just looking at the raw numbers, but they're pretty close. I think it's safe to say that KD isn't in the discussion yet, so comparing accolades between LeBron and Bird, and well, it's pretty close.

Bird played 13 seasons, this is LeBron's 10th. LeBron will be making his 9th straight ASG. Bird made it 12 times, only not making it in 1989, when he missed essentially all of the season.

Bird won 3 championships, and lost twice in the Finals. He has two NBA Finals MVPs.

If you really think LeBron can't surpass Bird, I'm not sure you're thinking straight. He certainly CAN. His numbers are as good, if not better than Bird's. He'll end up playing more season, thus accumulating more counting stats (which some people care about too much). He'll have more shots at rings, MVPs and Finals MVPs. He could finish more decorated too.

KD isn't close, because he doesn't have the individual accolades, or event the stats (hint: he's B, Bird is A and LBJ is C). But he's got a TON of time, and just about all the talent in the world.

My problem with a stat comparison is Bird played during an easy offensive era ar least statisically. I think KD right now as a player is close to Bird if not better, if you are talking about career achievements there obviously a big gap for now.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Anything is possible in the future. Durant is a great player but not as great as Bird at this point in time.

ManRam
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
My problem with a stat comparison is Bird played during an easy offensive era ar least statisically. I think KD right now as a player is close to Bird if not better, if you are talking about career achievements there obviously a big gap for now.

Fair enough. And I don't necessarily disagree. He might have years where he's individually a better player, and he might already be, but to pass Bird (I can't see how he ever passes LeBron) to become the 2nd best SF of all time means a lot of work for him to do. Those accolades mean too much to too many people.

I think LeBron has already had about 6 regular seasons better than Bird's best. KD might have a few (I can't look it up now). Talent-wise, these two guys might already be there.

lol, please
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Do you think Durant can eventually surpass Larry Bird to become 2nd best SF of all time? (1st being Lebron)

Never. Ever. Nor is Lebron better than Bird. Typical NBA forum troll thread. What a joke. Lerbron doesn't even break the top 10. Probably never will. Way to show your age.

JordansBulls
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Certainly not easy because you had more megastars in the league which meant to differentiate yourself statistically was much more difficult. The average player was simply much better than the average player now. Hell the average player was an allstar type player then. Now the average player probably shouldn't even be in the league.

ewing
12-05-2012, 02:10 PM
No. Bird's skill set was more diverse.

Baller1
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Never. Ever. Nor is Lebron better than Bird. Typical NBA forum troll thread. What a joke. Lerbron doesn't even break the top 10. Probably never will. Way to show your age.

Hope you're kidding.

LOOTERX9
12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
No. Bird's skill set was more diverse.

Durant is far more athletically superior than BIRD. And Durant is a better shooter and scorer than Bird. Bird was the better passer. Bird also had great leadership skills. I know when it's all said and done though that Durant will be far better than Bird. I think he's better now to be honest but I wont say it cause of lack of titles. But athletically Durant is just better

ManningToTyree
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Way too early on in his career for this. I don't even like discussing LeBron's all-time rank because he has so much basketball ahead of him.

LOOTERX9
12-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Well i'm just gonna go ahead and say that Durant is already better than Bird at this point. Durant is just a outstanding shooter, even better than Bird was. Plus add his and athletic advantage and you have Durant being the better player. Only thing that can hurt Durant is if he often chokes in finals rest of career. other than that durant is superior in my book than Bird already

TheNumber37
He would have to keep up this great rebounding, become a better passer and win at least 2 rings.

ghettosean

Sorry I didn't realize the MJ and Pippen were 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA at the time Jordan won a championship.... I think you are forgetting about Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq, Malone, Barkely... etc

Same goes for Larry Bird...

(also I think Wade and Lebron were neck and neck when they joined together I'd say they were more like they were 2 of the top 3 talents in the NBA at the time of coming together and Bosh was in the top 10-15)

So like I said Larry didn't call up MJ and said hey we are the top players in the NBA lets come together so I can win a ring. So please spare me the poor LBJ story....

On top of that if you just want to argue stats Larry was a better rebounder, passer and had something that Lebron only stumbled on 1 or 2 series in his entire career and ladies and gentleman was:

A KILLER INSTINCT!

LOOTERX9
12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Way too early on in his career for this. I don't even like discussing LeBron's all-time rank because he has so much basketball ahead of him.

well with guys like lebron and Durant being already statistically great at such a young age you can project upwards with these guys. It's arguable that these 2 were already better than Bird after 1st 3 seasons in the league. So with the improvements Durant/lebron were to make to their games they would blow Bird out of the water as far as superior players are concerned

LOOTERX9
12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
He would have to keep up this great rebounding, become a better passer and win at least 2 rings.

Durant can easily do that. I don't think he has to be that good of a passer to be better than Bird. I can see that his scoring ability comes so much easier than bird's was. He's a 3 time scoring champion already and has been to a finals. He will easily make more finals and win a few. As a player looking with the naked eye Durant is just better. I would draft Durant over Bird if I were a GM

Quinnsanity
12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
So we're just assuming LeBron's gonna pass Larry Bird now?

ManRam
12-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Tell me why Bird is so clearly better than LeBron...

ManRam
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
A KILLER INSTINCT!

I'd argue that LeBron only twice has shown a lack of a killer instinct. 2011 Finals and the 2010 ECF. People clinch to those two, and ignore the fact that as a whole, LeBron has been as dominant a postseason player as this game has ever seen.

ManningToTyree
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
well with guys like lebron and Durant being already statistically great at such a young age you can project upwards with these guys. It's arguable that these 2 were already better than Bird after 1st 3 seasons in the league. So with the improvements Durant/lebron were to make to their games they would blow Bird out of the water as far as superior players are concerned

You can project and all that but what if they have a career altering (or ending) injury? Its fun to guess where guys will end up in the history books, but I just feel you need to give a legend like Bird the benefit of the doubt until they statistically surpass him. He already has the longevity, they do not.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
So we're just assuming LeBron's gonna pass Larry Bird now?

Bird's career wasn't all that long, I think its fairly easy to assume LeBron passes Bird.

kdspurman
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Durant is far more athletically superior than BIRD. And Durant is a better shooter and scorer than Bird. Bird was the better passer. Bird also had great leadership skills. I know when it's all said and done though that Durant will be far better than Bird. I think he's better now to be honest but I wont say it cause of lack of titles. But athletically Durant is just better

Woah..:confused:

Longhornfan1234
12-05-2012, 03:53 PM

LOL, what?

If LeBron wins another finals MVP and season MVP, he's easily in the top 10.

BroadwayBullies
12-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Durant can surpass a lot of the all time greats. He's got time on his side, and had the wonderful advantage of being able to start in the league at a very young age. That's why, barring any injuries, him and Lebron are going to have some gaudy career stats when they finally retire. It didn't hurt he's been extremely productive statistically since his rookie year either, being a perennial >20 ppg guy since he was 19.

But Larry was a helluva player. He's a better passer, rebounder (I mean by a WIDE margin,) defender (also wide margin,) and a better shooter than Durant. You can make the claim Durant is the better scorer because of his superior athleticism to Bird, but that's pretty much the only thing he's got on him.

You can tell this year Durant is really starting to evolve as a player. He's becoming more of a well rounded offensive player, but his overall game on both sides of the court still has to improve greatly for him to have a chance to be compared to Larry Legend.

Rivera
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
It depends....does durant have home court advantage

Ebbs
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Durant definitely can he started so much younger he has a talented young squad locked in.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=birdla01&y1=1985&p2=duranke01&y2=2013

Bird definitely outplayed him his first 6 years. But Durant should have a longer tenure and I'm assuming he gets 1-2 championships minimum over that time with a similar number of MVP's. It will be a discussion when it's all said and done.

Baller1
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Durant definitely can he started so much younger he has a talented young squad locked in.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=birdla01&y1=1985&p2=duranke01&y2=2013

Bird definitely outplayed him his first 6 years. But Durant should have a longer tenure and I'm assuming he gets 1-2 championships minimum over that time with a similar number of MVP's. It will be a discussion when it's all said and done.

I'm actually surprised those numbers are as close as they are. If you take playoff numbers into consideration, you could argue that they are almost neck-and-neck through the start of their careers.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm actually surprised those numbers are as close as they are. If you take playoff numbers into consideration, you could argue that they are almost neck-and-neck through the start of their careers.

Durant turned 23 in year 5, Bird entered the league at that age.....

YoungOne
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
well if you say lebron already is the best SF, durant can easily become the 2nd best if not the best SF of all time..

Hawkeye15
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
well if you say lebron already is the best SF, durant can easily become the 2nd best if not the best SF of all time..

I think Bron needs another playoff run to pass Bird. I mean, because Bird came in at age 23, and then had back issues, the longevity argument just isn't there. But Bron needs a bit more, no doubt. We are WAY too early to be talking about Durant passing him.

tredigs
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM

I like this post, but the problem with comparing career stats of KD to Lebron and especially Bird is that you're including the early years of a guy whose had less of a prime so far than the other two. Unless I'm not looking close enough and you knocked off the first 3 years or so for each? Bird was also hobbled in his final years so that's a little off as well. Best way to look at it is their primes, which for KD he has not quite hit in all likelihood.

And Hawk I'd say it's more likely than not on Lebron, yeah. But he still has some Finals work to do.

SteveNash
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Durant has already surpassed Larry Bird.

JordansBulls
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Durant has already surpassed Larry Bird.

:confused:

ManRam
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I like this post, but the problem with comparing career stats of KD to Lebron and especially Bird is that you're including the early years of a guy whose had less of a prime so far than the other two. Unless I'm not looking close enough and you knocked off the first 3 years or so for each? Bird was also hobbled in his final years so that's a little off as well. Best way to look at it is their primes, which for KD he has not quite hit in all likelihood.

And Hawk I'd say it's more likely than not on Lebron, yeah. But he still has some Finals work to do.

For sure. The latter parts of Durant and especially LeBron's career could see drastic dropoffs. Bird got out at 35 (I think), and was playing at basically the same level he had been since his injured season. He didn't fall off a ton later on in his career. LeBron trying to play til he's 40 could really skew his stats down a lot.

SteveNash
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
:confused:

Bird's game couldn't stand in todays NBA.