PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant supports Pau Gasol

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8712002&city=losangeles

Amid rising pressure and growing trade speculation smothering the ailing Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant offered his strongest public support to date to back the Spaniard with whom he has won two NBA championships.

"I love Pau like a brother," Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Tuesday. "I really do. I want him to dominate like I know he can."

"I want him to dig in and be determined, not discouraged," Bryant continued. "We should go to him more on the post because he can dominate from there as he has to the tune of two rings. I'm sure we will adjust and figure out a balance when he comes back healthy."

The Lakers announced Tuesday that Gasol would sit out the team's game against the Houston Rockets with tendinitis in his knees. There is no set timetable for how long Gasol will be out. Antawn Jamison will start in his place.

Bryant and Gasol had a lengthy summit Monday night at the team hotel in Houston.

"I know his knees have been hurting and that can be frustrating because you can't do physically what you are used to," Bryant said Tuesday. "I just don't want him to sulk about the change of things."

Gasol is averaging 12.6 points and shooting 42 percent from the floor, both career lows, in new Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni's offense. Both he and D'Antoni have acknowledged that his role is and will be quite different than what it has historically been for the Lakers.

ESPNLosAngeles.com reported earlier Tuesday that Gasol is not sitting out Tuesday's game because a trade involving the former four-time All-Star is in the works. But a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently spoken to Gasol's representatives to let them know that the team will have no choice but to explore possible trade scenarios if Gasol is unable to adjust to D'Antoni's system.

Tuesday's comments from Bryant echo similar statements he made last season in Gasol's defense. As trade speculation heated up around the talented 7-footer, Bryant publicly called on Lakers management to either trade him or pull Gasol out of all trade talks so that he could focus on basketball.

"I wish (Lakers) management would come out and either trade him or not trade him," Bryant said last February. "It's just tough for a player to give his all when you don't know if you're going to be here tomorrow. I'd rather them not trade him at all but if they're going to do something, I wish they would just ... do it.

"You can't have one of our pillars not knowing if he's going to be here or not. Do something. One way or another, do something."

Bryant felt the need to do so again Tuesday because of the way the Lakers' struggles this season seem to be falling inordinately, and somewhat unfairly, on Gasol."

After the Lakers' 113-103 loss to the Orlando Magic, a game in which Gasol went to the bench with the Lakers up 84-83 with 6:07 remaining in the fourth quarter and stayed there as they lost the lead and then the game, Bryant was asked about Gasol's situation.

"Put your big-boy pants on," Bryant said after the loss that dropped the team's record to 8-9. "Just adjust. Just adjust. You can't whine about it. You can't complain about it.

"You have to master what it is that we're trying to do here and Pau is talented enough and he's good enough to be able to do that."

Bryant was later asked whether he was worried about "losing Gasol," as D'Antoni had suggested in his press conference.

"We're not going to lose him," Bryant said. "That's just not going to happen. I've been around him long enough. I know how to deal with him."

Their game against the Rockets is the start of a particularly tough stretch for the Lakers -- eight of their next 10 are on the road. L.A. is 1-4 away from Staples Center this season.

The Lakers called up rookie big man Robert Sacre from the Los Angeles D-Fenders, their D-League affiliate, Monday as big-man insurance for their bench. Forward Jordan Hill, who missed the Lakers' last game as a coaches' decision, could also find minutes in the rotation.

"Somebody's woe is somebody's gain and they got to take advantage of it," D'Antoni said.

"We got to get him healthy. Whatever it takes -- one game, two games, 10 games -- I don't know. It's day to day but he's got to be healthy. It wasn't fair (to him). He's trying to battle through some stuff and in this league; you just can't do that."

Since there are a lot of Kobe hate threads why not a positive one

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Haha beat to me to it.

Bryant-Gasol 08-2010 was unstoppable. Have to get back to that level.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Haha beat to me to it.

Bryant-Gasol 08-2010 was unstoppable. Have to get back to that level.

I know man, but idk if Gasol is cable enough to getting back to that level of play

NYSpirit1
12-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Is Kobe bi-polar?

C-Style
12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Kobe is a showing that he's the leader of the team

DoMeFavors
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
trade Gasol to Sixers and bring Gasol and Bynum back together take back Thad Young and others

GiantsSwaGG
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Kobe's full of ****

Baller1
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Fair enough. Still think Gasol gets traded soon though.

SlimKid
12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Is Kobe bi-polar?

Kinda sounds like it.

Avenged
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm sure Kobe wants Pau to fail and keep sucking. Wasting another season is sure in his plans :rolleyes: "Kobe's full of ****"... smh.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Kobe's full of ****

Well, aren't we all? (Some more than others). But isn't that how the human body works? ;)

xxplayerxx23
12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I believe Kobe likes pau but it might be time for a change for pau and I expect one. I
Kobe was being tough on pau because he expects more not because he dislikes him. While I don't like Kobe I respect him.

NYSpirit1
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Honestly, he flip flops back and forth like nothing else between criticizing teammates then praising them.

This team is doomed, two down, Kobe and Dwight still standing.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I believe Kobe likes pau but it might be time for a change for pau and I expect one. I
Kobe was being tough on pau because he expects more not because he dislikes him. While I don't like Kobe I respect him.

I absolutely love Pau, and I can't speak for the rest of the Lakers fans, but I know that ultimately, I want the guy to stay and I want our team to win a 17th championship with him. One day, Pau will have his #16 raised to the rafters, and I hope he does finish in the P&G.

As a Laker fan, I'm really hoping that this time off will really help Pau in the long-run.

ThunderousDemon
12-04-2012, 10:31 PM
trade Gasol to Sixers and bring Gasol and Bynum back together take back Thad Young and others

Are you willfully stupid or does it come natural to you?

Tysons_Beard
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Are you willfully stupid or does it come natural to you?

:p:o:D

xxplayerxx23
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I absolutely love Pau, and I can't speak for the rest of the Lakers fans, but I know that ultimately, I want the guy to stay and I want our team to win a 17th championship with him. One day, Pau will have his #16 raised to the rafters, and I hope he does finish in the P&G.

As a Laker fan, I'm really hoping that this time off will really help Pau in the long-run.

Yeah man I don't get the hate. He is on the down side but he is still. Very good player.

LAKERMANIA
12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Kobe's full of ****

That sounds hilarious coming from you

chicagocubsfan
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Didn't Kobe "support" Mike Brown too?

thenaj17
12-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Kobe has always been full of support for Gasol and that has never changed. A lot of you certainly do take things out of context or lack the intelligence to understand what has been said. Never ever has Kobe said anything about wanting Pau out or said he's not good enough.

The big boy pants thing was in response to Pau moaning about the change of system and lack of touches inside. Pau PUBLICLY said he wasn't get enough touches in the post and was complaining that the majority of his shots were from the outside.

Kobe was responding to a reporters question about Pau's statement and saying that he should just get on with it.

I don't know how anyone got that Kobe's was negative towards Pau from that.

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Whenever Kobe comes out in support of someone publically, they end up gone. Bye bye Pau! Time to change your paties...

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Are you out of your mind? Pau will never get his number retired. I hope to see D. Fish get his number retired wayyyy before Pau. I'd rather have Ron artest up there.. lol

JiffyMix88
12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Send him to Houston for Lin and Jones

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Send him to Houston for Lin and Jones

lol, get out of here....

JiffyMix88
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
lol, get out of here....

Jones(pf of the future and very athletic so steve can make **** happen for him now)

Lin(pg of the future)

Gasol(ya'll don't want him and neither do the Lakers)

Problem solved

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Are you out of your mind? Pau will never get his number retired. I hope to see D. Fish get his number retired wayyyy before Pau. I'd rather have Ron artest up there.. lol

:speechless: Are you serious!!! In 8 season's Shaq helped to 3 Championships in 4 tries, and I bet you want his jersey retired. Well Pau in 5 season helped to 2 Championships in 3 tries and he still very possible can help to another. Pau is and has been a stud when he's not pouting like a little bi-atch!!!! Statments like this play part in why our fans are hated and are seen as ignorant.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Gail Goodrich 1 ring as a Third option Retired.

Jamaal Wilkes 3 rings as THIRD option TO be retired this season.

James Worhty 3 rings 2 as third option 1 as second Retired.

yeah, sure Paus wont get retired :rolleyes:

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Kobe has always been full of support for Gasol and that has never changed. A lot of you certainly do take things out of context or lack the intelligence to understand what has been said. Never ever has Kobe said anything about wanting Pau out or said he's not good enough.

The big boy pants thing was in response to Pau moaning about the change of system and lack of touches inside. Pau PUBLICLY said he wasn't get enough touches in the post and was complaining that the majority of his shots were from the outside.

Kobe was responding to a reporters question about Pau's statement and saying that he should just get on with it.

I don't know how anyone got that Kobe's was negative towards Pau from that.

This

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Gail Goodrich 1 ring as a Third option Retired.

Jamaal Wilkes 3 rings as THIRD option TO be retired this season.

James Worhty 3 rings 2 as third option 1 as second Retired.

yeah, sure Paus wont get retired :rolleyes:

Yea, those players you named had heart and the city loved them. The city of LA hates Pau right now. Actually we've been hating him for the past 2 and a half years...

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Is Kobe bi-polar?

It's amazing how you can find a negative in an positive. You sound like a very pessimistic person, isnt that draining?

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
:speechless: Are you serious!!! In 8 season's Shaq helped to 3 Championships in 4 tries, and I bet you want his jersey retired. Well Pau in 5 season helped to 2 Championships in 3 tries and he still very possible can help to another. Pau is and has been a stud when he's not pouting like a little bi-atch!!!! Statments like this play part in why are fans are hated and are seen as ignorant.

Comparing Shaq and Pau is silly, so i wont even continue there.

FOBolous
12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
like how he "supported" Mike Brown? :laugh2: you know you're screwed when Kobe says he support you lol

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Yea, those players you named had heart and the city loved them. The city of LA hates Pau right now. Actually we've been hating him for the past 2 and a half years...

Speak for youself. Most kats in L.A i come by are pist at his play the last few years but no one has forgot what he did, and with all the mexicans out here finaly having a player of hispanic decent as a allstar baller in a Lakers uni, you think they hate this fue lol Get out here with that.

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Comparing Shaq and Pau is silly, so i wont even continue there.

Is Gasol on Shaq's level? No, but what they did for the city was the same. They both helped in putting franchise on top of the game, and making us the standard of greatness for a time, so there both deserve to be retired. If your too blind to see that you should'nt respond.

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Speak for youself. Most kats in L.A i come by are pist at his play the last few years but no one has forgot what he did, and with all the mexicans out here finaly having a player of hispanic decent as a allstar baller in a Lakers uni, you think they hate this fue lol Get out here with that.

Nobody forgets what he did, people just dont care right now. We want to WIN. We dont have time to give sissys a pass because of what they did in the past. I dont know who your talking to or where your going, but im a regular at LA Live (ESPN Zone) and when me and my girl watch the games there, people hate Gasol from the begining of the game till the end. From getting outrebounded by pg's to getting blocked on fastbreak dunks, to throwing weak passes that get stolen, to that stupid *** strug he does when someone blows right by him for an easy layup...

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Lol, how infantile.

the season Pau makes the Hof ( wich is a LOCK , dont fool yourself) his number will be retired like it has happened with all the rest of them except the nobrainers that got it inmediatley like kobe will.

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Is Gasol on Shaq's level? No, but what they did for the city was the same. They both helped in putting franchise on top of the game, and making us the standard of greatness for a time, so there both deserve to be retired. If your too blind to see that you should'nt respond.

Shaq was a staple in the community. He was always out doing things, he acted, rapped, put together shows and was the best player on a dynasty team. What does Pau do? Toys for tots?

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Shaq was a staple in the community. He was always out doing things, he acted, rapped, put together shows and was the best player on a dynasty team. What does Pau do? Toys for tots?

And this is were you completley trip away.

Pau does indeed DO a lot of thngs for the community visiting children wiht cancer at the hospital, food for the homeless and several Charity events, both in L.a and in other places including visits to Africa.

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Lol, how infantile.

the season Pau makes the Hof ( wich is a LOCK , dont fool yourself) his number will be retired like it has happened with all the rest of them except the nobrainers that got it inmediatley like kobe will.

What an awesome word!!!!

anyway, no one is saying Pau isnt making the HOF. Im saying he's playing like a ***** right now. Open your eyes.:speechless:

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
And this is were you completley trip away.

Pau does indeed DO a lot of thngs for the community visiting children wiht cancer at the hospital, food for the homeless and several Charity events, both in L.a and in other places including visits to Africa.

Obviously your not from around here. Those are generic things that all players for the most part do. Shaq did things outside of that in the community, which made the fans here love him even more. Shaq should have a statue in front of staples.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
What an awesome word!!!!

anyway, no one is saying Pau isnt making the HOF. Im saying he's playing like a ***** right now. Open your eyes.:speechless:

And you know perfectly well that when you

1 won rings for the lakers as a top 3 option

2 make the hof.

you GET your number retired.

And you are saying his wont be , so you are fooling yourself.

btw i think lakers should not be as restritive with the hof ****.

Cooper, Fisher deserve to be up there.

and the 5 time champions minnie lakers(mikan, Pollard, Mikelseen) plaeyrs deserve their own indiviuda numbers retired, not a b.s conmemorative banner with their names in.

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Nobody forgets what he did, people just dont care right now. We want to WIN. We dont have time to give sissys a pass because of what they did in the past. I dont know who your talking to or where your going, but im a regular at LA Live (ESPN Zone) and when me and my girl watch the games there, people hate Gasol from the begining of the game till the end. From getting outrebounded by pg's to getting blocked on fastbreak dunks, to throwing weak passes that get stolen, to that stupid *** strug he does when someone blows right by him for an easy layup...

So basicaly your talking to people during ther frustrations and running with that? If you talk to those same people when theve calmed down you'll get a different response. Ask those same kats who the think can take Pau's place, and see what they say. 90% of the time they'll tell you " man i just want him to get it together". Thats all i hear.

SirSkyHook
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Obviously your not from around here. Those are generic things that all players for the most part do. Shaq did things outside of that in the community, which made the fans here love him even more. Shaq should have a statue in front of staples.

This is true. I hate how people say it was nothing but a tax right off. That dude did alot.

nickdymez
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
And you know perfectly well that when you

1 won rings for the lakers as a top 3 option

2 make the hof.

you GET your number retired.

And you are saying his wont be , so you are fooling yourself.

btw i think lakers should not be as restritive with the hof ****.

Cooper, Fisher deserve to be up there.

and the 5 time champions minnie lakers(mikan, Pollard, Mikelseen) plaeyrs deserve their own indiviuda numbers retired, not a b.s conmemorative banner with their names in.

We will see. I mean maybe when im not so pissed off about the Lakers i will have a more rational head. Maybe its because I had so much faith in Pau this year that im so mad right now. Im just sick of having his back only to watch him play like he doesnt care. That is killin me right now..

I also agree with you about the number thing. Coop is my cousin, so im definitely biased there. But Fish should be most def!

Money_23
12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
trade Kobe.

Lakers4life08
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
So in Olympics he was Beast,and couple months later he is Done as top PF/C in the league???OK..........

GiantsSwaGG
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
That sounds hilarious coming from you

In surprised you haven't homered yet in this thread, or maybe you did

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
trade Kobe.

For a $27.8M Trade Exception. :D

beliges
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Lakers have such a severe lack of depth on that team that they desperately need Pau. Even though Pau is no longer an All-Star caliber, Lakers need him back desperately.

ewing
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Lakers have such a severe lack of depth on that team that they desperately need Pau. Even though Pau is no longer an All-Star caliber, Lakers need him back desperately.

There bench is awful. I cant believe people think this is decent team with out Nash and Gasol. They are terrible

LAKERMANIA
12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
In surprised you haven't homered yet in this thread, or maybe you did

:cricket:

c.c.
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Kobe Bryant just saying this B.S. because it sounds good

smith&wesson
12-05-2012, 06:12 PM
how can you expect for one of your best players to bounce back if the whole world is ragging on him... players gotta show that they have faith in their team mates. coaches have to show they have faith in their players.

smith&wesson
12-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Kobe Bryant just saying this B.S. because it sounds good

or maybe just maybe he is sticking up for his team mate ?

c.c.
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
or maybe just maybe he is sticking up for his team mate ?

Kobe would trade his soul for another ring!!! These NBA players nowadays just be like "ring ring ring ring ring". I know that's the team goal at the end of the season but its getting ridiculous. All individual awards are not being taking serious, All-star games are nothing more but players letting other players score, no real stars compete in the dunk contest, every star wanna team up another star instead of being the man on their own team, etc.