PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Allen Iversons maturity

Alayla
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
For people that still dont understand that Iverson isnt some selfish Cancer Wacth this Video Please i implore you wacth this video from YEARS ago like he was still in philly in his 1st stop when this was made you wacth this and tell me he is as bad as you all picture him atfer seeing this. Nobody is perfect Iverson has made mistakes but those mistakes have been blown way out of proportion and pushed into an extreme an has made an image of this man that just isn't him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEdsjeRDDs

Swashcuff
12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Dude some people's opinion on A.I. is NEVER going to change that's just the way it is. It isn't A.I.'s fault but rather those people themselves. They are the same type of people that call Kobe a rapist, Jason Kidd a wifebeater (when talking about his impact on the court) and Charles Barkley a racist. Those types of people exist in this world and no matter what you say or do they're going to remain the way they are.

PS my sig was taken from that very interview.

Fresno
12-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Actually I think as time has gone on people have began to lessen their "hate" for Iverson and the idea that he never put his team first. To picture Iverson at that time of being a worse teammate than any of the superstars of today is pure comedy. What kind of team cancer played their heart out for 40+ minutes and got passionate/emotional over losing regular season games? Thats foreign to most guys now. Thats why every coach & teammate comes out to speak arguing against the perception AI gained during his time in Philly.

Since that interview the quality of the league's "character" has dropped with this new generation of players.

Are these guys criminals? No. However the importance of the game of basketball to many of the new generation of stars is debatable. Thats why they openly talk about joining forces in major media markets & privately letting management know of their plans. All they want to do is Tweet to their millions of followers & be seen at events in the big city. Then after a few years of playing with 1 dream team they make plans to go to another major media market where they can make more money.

At least AI loves basketball. Same with Derrick Rose and thats why I like him.

Fresno
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Dude some people's opinion on A.I. is NEVER going to change that's just the way it is. It isn't A.I.'s fault but rather those people themselves. They are the same type of people that call Kobe a rapist, Jason Kidd a wifebeater (when talking about his impact on the court) and Charles Barkley a racist. Those types of people exist in this world and no matter what you say or do they're going to remain the way they are.

The thing is I'm still not sure on what there is to hate about Iverson.

It seems like he just happened to be the superstar who emerged in that transition period between the Jordan Era(92-98) & the Collusion Era(2007-) and he represented what seemingly at the time was everything wrong with the game of basketball.

Now that we're 7-8 years removed from Iverson at his peak in regards to him dominating the media talk waves for every little thing he did it doesn't even seem as bad. People forget how easily the media could twist stories back then when your only way of sports news outside of your area was ESPN before all the resources we have now on the internet or our phones.

ESPN would just make a 10-15 segment on Iverson doing "this" or "that".

Same thing they did with Randy Moss and TO. They didn't stop doing certain things or saying things, its just that in time ESPN couldn't twist it and make a spectacle out of it like it was the biggest story ever.

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Actions > Words

Iverson can say all the right things, but at the end of the day, what did he do on the court?

He was an amazing talent, but the combination of his style of play and size made it hard for him to succeed at a high level. If he brought a different mentality to the court, he could have had more success, but that said, he is an amazing player and unique and rare talent.

2_Trill
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Great interview I love the guy but in all fairness he brought alot of it on hiself, but man he's done alot to elevate the league back when he was playing I just hate to see his story end on a sour note.

RonE Coleman
12-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Allen Iverson couldn't remember where he parked his car at a mall... So instead of looking for it he just bought another

This is why Athletes go broke :facepalm:

kenzo400
12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Allen Iverson couldn't remember where he parked his car at a mall... So instead of looking for it he just bought another

lol where you hear that? That's hilarious

Alayla
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM

... He isnt broke lol..

RonE Coleman
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
... He isnt broke lol..

You dont think hes the only person whose done something like that?

RonE Coleman
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
lol where you hear that? That's hilarious

I heard it years ago lol, Im looking for a link online but can't seem to find one yet.

Alayla
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
You dont think hes the only person whose done something like that?

No but what does Other altheles having financial troubles have to do with AI as a person?

hugepatsfan
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think Iverson was a bad person or that he didn't care about winning. I just don't think he ever "got it" as far as how to work his talents into a winning team concept. He always approached it as he was the leader and he was going to carry his team. You need a guy that can step up and do that in certain spots, but you also have to be able to sacrifice some of the impact you could make to raise the output of the rest of the guys.

Hawkeye15
12-04-2012, 07:49 PM

agreed, but he didn't exactly make himself likeable, or demand respect outside his basketball skills. Iverson was an easy player to not care about as a person.

RonE Coleman
12-04-2012, 07:51 PM
No but what does Other altheles having financial troubles have to do with AI as a person?

It doesn't, I like AI.

Just saw this thread and thats what popped into my head lol.

I believe the story was actually at an airport they couldn't find the car so instead of looking for it he just bought another.

GiantsSwaGG
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
The guy is retired. Who gives a ****?

ATX
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Maturity!? We talkin' bout maturity!? In a thread!? Sorry, had to do it.

Fresno
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't think Iverson was a bad person or that he didn't care about winning. I just don't think he ever "got it" as far as how to work his talents into a winning team concept. He always approached it as he was the leader and he was going to carry his team. You need a guy that can step up and do that in certain spots, but you also have to be able to sacrifice some of the impact you could make to raise the output of the rest of the guys.

The problem is that by the time he went to a situation where he had the ability to sacrifice some of his impact...it was in Denver and he was already over 30 gearing up for the downside of his career. His efficiency went up, his team was successful, but he couldn't give the same level of performances he could maybe 4 seasons prior.

But we all know the story.

COOLbeans
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Allen Iverson is one of the G.O.A.T.

All haters of AI must leave psd forever or stfu

:)

Swashcuff
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
The guy is retired. Who gives a ****?

A.I. isn't retired.

KingPosey
12-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Listen, that "interview" was a pure ego stroke. It was a designed and controlled platform for him to say all the right things and do damage control. SAS dick rides certain stars. And I don't have a ton of hate for AI but he was selfish way to often and self centered for that interview to make me go "oh, all the actions HE TOOK and things he said didn't happen."

Not to mention anyone that refers to themselves in the third person is a turd.

The thing that drives me crazy is how overrated he was as a player. I don't care about his attitude

MackSnackWrap
12-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Please find a link to this!! This is actually hilarious if true!!

DumDum
12-05-2012, 12:35 AM

;) he payed that white girl good

THE MTL
12-05-2012, 12:43 AM
I have no idea why ppl call AI selfish.....cause he didnt wanna come off the bench? He was better than 90% of the league

SMH!
12-05-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't even like opening AI threads in PSD, but its been a while since I've seen one, so I did, so far I dont see anything really negative about him, usually it turns into a bash AI contest and some really personal f'd up **** is said, I dont care if you talk about his game, but I've seen some messed up things said about him on PSD. But BTW This is one of my all time favorite interviews, if you havent seen it, go watch it

KingPosey
12-05-2012, 04:37 AM
I have no idea why ppl call AI selfish.....cause he didnt wanna come off the bench? He was better than 90% of the league

If he was still better than 90% of th league, he would have been offered huge contracts by good teams. Don be absurd

Munkeysuit
12-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Maturity? we're talking about maturity? Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about maturity man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about maturity...

That Guy Mooque
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Every time an AI thread happens, I'm emotionally torn between remembering and being thankful for my favorite athlete of all time while still having to deal with narrow-minded AI haters. The thing that kills me about Iverson's perception is that he's not so different from the majority of other athletes who come from similar upbringings, but he just happens to be one of the handful of athletes since Jordan who's fame transcended their sport. So him screwing up isn't so different from the mistakes that "Insert NBA Player's Name Here" has done, it's just that it's broadcasted to the entire world and Iverson is self aware to the point where he's not going to appease the masses and be fake when he's in trouble. It's the same reason so much of his amazing philanthropic ventures have gone largely unnoticed by the general public over the years. He is who he is. Unless he steps up and says otherwise, this is why I'll believe til the day I die that the league stopped supporting him. Once he spoke out on how fake the "NBA Cares" program was and exploited how it's all one big PR jerk off orchestrated by Stern, that's when teams suddenly decided they wanted no parts of him. It's unfortunate, it really is. But it's one of the many reasons I have so much respect for AI.

bagwell368
12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Listen, that "interview" was a pure ego stroke. It was a designed and controlled platform for him to say all the right things and do damage control. SAS dick rides certain stars. And I don't have a ton of hate for AI but he was selfish way to often and self centered for that interview to make me go "oh, all the actions HE TOOK and things he said didn't happen."

Not to mention anyone that refers to themselves in the third person is a turd.

The thing that drives me crazy is how overrated he was as a player. I don't care about his attitude

x2

Over rated volume scorer. I wouldn't have him on any "best of" teams even if I got to the 34th set of 5 guys, because it's called a "team". And he wasn't about "team".

bagwell368
12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Every time an AI thread happens, I'm emotionally torn between remembering and being thankful for my favorite athlete of all time while still having to deal with narrow-minded AI haters. The thing that kills me about Iverson's perception is that he's not so different from the majority of other athletes who come from similar upbringings, but he just happens to be one of the handful of athletes since Jordan who's fame transcended their sport. So him screwing up isn't so different from the mistakes that "Insert NBA Player's Name Here" has done, it's just that it's broadcasted to the entire world and Iverson is self aware to the point where he's not going to appease the masses and be fake when he's in trouble. It's the same reason so much of his amazing philanthropic ventures have gone largely unnoticed by the general public over the years. He is who he is. Unless he steps up and says otherwise, this is why I'll believe til the day I die that the league stopped supporting him. Once he spoke out on how fake the "NBA Cares" program was and exploited how it's all one big PR jerk off orchestrated by Stern, that's when teams suddenly decided they wanted no parts of him. It's unfortunate, it really is. But it's one of the many reasons I have so much respect for AI.

Isn't that nice. In a prior thread someone wrote he should be given credit for his influence on style and music, as if that matters on the floor.

Coach and Team killer and selfish pig - that's what I'll go to my grave believing about this heavily overrated "style" leader - that and missed FG's.

EDIT ADD: Regarding the following post. Why bother? All the AI suck-ups wouldn't listen to JC himself if he told them AI was a disgusting fresser. I just like to help shape the minds of the innocent to the true nature of Iverson.... a small but interesting hobby. Bring up Dominique Wilkins sometimes if you want more. I like/respect the 76'ers franchise - and really great players such as Mo Cheeks, Moses, and Bobby Jones. As a one on one player Iverson was fabulous - as a teammate he's not fit to touch the bottom of the shoes of any of those guys.

JLynn943
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Isn't that nice. In a prior thread someone wrote he should be given credit for his influence on style and music, as if that matters on the floor.

Coach and Team killer and selfish pig - that's what I'll go to my grave believing about this heavily overrated "style" leader - that and missed FG's.
....and Bagwell is here. Just close the thread now lest it be constantly on the first page after he argues every time anyone says something positive about Iverson.

Alayla
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
x2

Over rated volume scorer. I wouldn't have him on any "best of" teams even if I got to the 34th set of 5 guys, because it's called a "team". And he wasn't about "team".

For the last time you need to look no farther than his nuggets days to know that what your saying is BS just shut up dude.

Alayla
12-08-2012, 06:13 PM

EDIT ADD: Regarding the following post. Why bother? All the AI suck-ups wouldn't listen to JC himself if he told them AI was a disgusting fresser. I just like to help shape the minds of the innocent to the true nature of Iverson.... a small but interesting hobby. Bring up Dominique Wilkins sometimes if you want more. I like/respect the 76'ers franchise - and really great players such as Mo Cheeks, Moses, and Bobby Jones. As a one on one player Iverson was fabulous - as a teammate he's not fit to touch the bottom of the shoes of any of those guys.

okay i can take bashing Iverson i can take trolling my thread i can take missing the point in anything others post.
BUT DO NOT SIT THERE AND LIE (Refering to the bolded)
If you 'Like' Anything about the Sixers and as Celtics fan your being fake and insulting both teams. Don't forget these teams are Rivals your not suppose to like them. Respect them? okay sure but dont be so casual about it.
When its all said and done the words when its everyone else its u applys here
Dont act all high and mighty like your doing the sixers fanbase a favor by bashing Iverson. Your pissed off and bitter that Paul Perice who you believe to be better never got the same level of praise and recognition. Thats all this is about thats all its ever been about and to pretend otherwise is insulting.
dont act like your defending our history.

Ps. You dont know Iverson Personally you have no right to speak on his 'True Nature' .

1-800-STFU
12-08-2012, 06:15 PM
He's just stupid, doesn't make him a bad person. Just not too bright.

bagwell368
12-08-2012, 06:21 PM
okay i can take bashing Iverson i can take trolling my thread i can take missing the point in anything others post.
BUT DO NOT SIT THERE AND LIE (Refering to the bolded)
If you 'Like' Anything about the Sixers and as Celtics fan your being fake and insulting both teams. Don't forget these teams are Rivals your not suppose to like them. Respect them? okay sure but dont be so casual about it.
When its all said and done the words when its everyone else its u applys here
Dont act all high and mighty like your doing the sixers fanbase a favor by bashing Iverson. Your pissed off and bitter that Paul Perice who you believe to be better never got the same level of praise and recognition. Thats all this is about thats all its ever been about and to pretend otherwise is insulting.
dont act like your defending our history.

Ps. You dont know Iverson Personally you have no right to speak on his 'True Nature' .

Don't tell me what I think pal. The greatest NBA Series I've ever seen across 47 years as a fan is the 1981 Celts/76'ers series - by far. I've mentioned that a number of times on PSD. I've also mentioned (go search) that that 76'ers team thht won the Championship is the most underrated of the great teams to ever win it. I also saw the Chet Walker/Wilt team which was great - probably Wilt's best year - beat my team - and of course I hated them, but they were great. Great is great.

Of course I hated the '81 76'ers, but not much later the 76'ers fell to ruin and so did the Celts - with very little to stoke it up since the mid 80's.

What good is winning if there isn't a great team involved? The two Championships against the Rockets in the 80's was a major let down compared to facing the Lakers, or that ECF Series against the 76'ers dwarfed the Rockets Series's.

I might have a lot of dislike for some players (invariably volume shooters), but ahead of that I'm a serious student of the game, having both played D1, seen the NBA back to the days of Russell, and recently retired from coaching 15 years worth of AAU and Travel teams ages 10-16. So just because I loathe Iverson doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm also mostly hated on the Celts board due to my constant picking on the phoney image and lies told over there about Rondo.

Try to see if you can put that all together...

BTW, I've never been a big PP fan having to fight a good sized collection of Celts fans on PSD about how he was better then Bird - of all the cockamamie baloney.

Iverson could be the best 1 on 1 under 6' player of all time - too bad the game is 5 x 5, and efficiency counts for a very great deal.

Alayla
12-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't tell me what I think pal. The greatest NBA Series I've ever seen across 47 years as a fan is the 1981 Celts/76'ers series - by far. I've mentioned that a number of times on PSD. I've also mentioned (go search) that that 76'ers team thht won the Championship is the most underrated of the great teams to ever win it. I also saw the Chet Walker/Wilt team which was great - probably Wilt's best year - beat my team - and of course I hated them, but they were great. Great is great.

Of course I hated the '81 76'ers, but not much later the 76'ers fell to ruin and so did the Celts - with very little to stoke it up since the mid 80's.

What good is winning if there isn't a great team involved? The two Championships against the Rockets in the 80's was a major let down compared to facing the Lakers, or that ECF Series against the 76'ers dwarfed the Rockets Series's.

I might have a lot of dislike for some players (invariably volume shooters), but ahead of that I'm a serious student of the game, having both played D1, seen the NBA back to the days of Russell, and recently retired from coaching 15 years worth of AAU and Travel teams ages 10-16. So just because I loathe Iverson doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm also mostly hated on the Celts board due to my constant picking on the phoney image and lies told over there about Rondo.

Try to see if you can put that all together...

BTW, I've never been a big PP fan having to fight a good sized collection of Celts fans on PSD about how he was better then Bird - of all the cockamamie baloney.

Iverson could be the best 1 on 1 under 6' player of all time - too bad the game is 5 x 5, and efficiency counts for a very great deal.

Once again you managed to totally miss my point

Oh Btw tell those fans your arugeing with that pierce shouldn't even be mentioned in the same conversion as Bird. But dont you pretend you have never argued Perice>Iverson because its the first argument i have ever had with you.

As for the bolded this is where u miss my point once again. i understand that post is a slide at Iverson as a teammate once again calling him all about himself but you seemed to totally Ignore that i said u have no right to judge a players True nature because u don't know them personally.
Untill a report comes out saying u and Iverson have known each other for years and some crazy **** went down i don't care about how u view Allen Iverson no one does stop trying to FORCE your opinion on others
Where is you evidence AI is a selfish guy? and dont just bring up FG% because so much more goes into it than that.

Alayla
12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I do have too give you credit on 1 thing though bagwell your the one Celtics fan i know who doesn't criminally overrate Rondo