PDA

View Full Version : Re-build the Thunder 2007-2010

topdog
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
This seems to be a hypothetical sort of day in the forums so I'll offer one of my own. Sam Presti has done a very nice job building the OKC Thunder into a contender, but I would also attribute a bit of his success to the "luck of the draft." My challenge to you is to build a better team with the draft picks he had at his disposal (he should get some credit for attaining them):

2007: 2nd (Durant) and 5th (Green) picks

2008: 4th (Westbrook) and 24th (Ibaka) picks

2009: 3rd (Harden) and 24th (Mullens) picks

2010: 11th (Aldrich) pick

State whether you make those 7 picks in retrospect or assuming you have the knowledge and opinions that GMs had at the time of the draft. Wikipedia can help you with who was available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Draft (change "2007" to "2008" in the html or search it)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html (link from JordansBulls)

topdog
12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I always thought the Jeff Green pick was redundant and would have gone with Noah then and now and I wasn't very high on Westbrook as a Collison fan. So, at the time, I probably would have taken:

Durant
Noah (rated as #1 pick if he had come out in '06)

Love (expecting him to be a rebounder/putback guy)
Batum (okay, honestly I don't know who I'd have taken as the Thunder here)

Rubio
Budinger (was a projected late-lottery/mid-first pick in '08)

Larry Sanders

So that lineup would look like:

Rubio
Batum
Durant/Budinger
Love
Noah/Sanders

JordansBulls
12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
This seems to be a hypothetical sort of day in the forums so I'll offer one of my own. Sam Presti has done a very nice job building the OKC Thunder into a contender, but I would also attribute a bit of his success to the "luck of the draft." My challenge to you is to build a better team with the draft picks he had at his disposal (he should get some credit for attaining them):

State whether you make those 7 picks in retrospect or assuming you have the knowledge and opinions that GMs had at the time of the draft. Wikipedia can help you with who was available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Draft (change "2007" to "2008" in the html or search it)

I would use this link for the drafts

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html

In 2007 I would take Durant #2 and maybe take Noah #5.
In 2008 I would take Kevin Love #4 and take George Hill #24
In 2009 I would take James Harden #3 and Taj Gibson #24
In 2010 I would take Aldrich #11

Lineup
PG Hill
SG Harden
SF Durant
PF Love/Gibson
C Noah

Westbrook36
12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
PG: Westbrook
SG: James Harden
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Ibaka
C: Joakim Noah (Instead of Green, trade down)

Unless you draft Kevin Love instead of Westbrook and then draft Rubio/Harden..

Freakazoid
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

With hindsight,

2007: Durant, Noah and obtained a late pick to get Marc Gasol (low investment, high reward)
2008: Kevin Love, Ibaka
2009: Harden, Beaubois
2010: Traded down, kept Bledsoe and drafted Bradley.

So a possible line up of

Bledsoe, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With pieces to possibly trade for CP3 in Bradley, Bledsoe, Beaubois, Ibaka and Noah. If I could cheat, I would have drafted Rondo in 2006 and ended up with:

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With Bledsoe, Beaubois, Bradley, Ibaka and Noah off the bench.

topdog
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
With hindsight,

2007: Durant, Noah and obtained a late pick to get Marc Gasol
2008: Kevin Love, Ibaka
2009: Harden, Beaubois
2010: Traded down, kept Bledsoe and drafted Bradley.

So a possible line up of

Bledsoe, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With pieces to possibly trade for CP3 in Bradley, Bledsoe, Beaubois, Ibaka and Noah. If I could cheat, I would have drafted Rondo in 2006 and ended up with:

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With Bledsoe, Beaubois, Bradley, Ibaka and Noah off the bench.

You are just totally taking this to a whole notha level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih4AVOnO840

No trades allowed. For the sake of simplicity, the rules are that you must draft someone with the picks Presti ended the draft with.

I definitely would have taken Bledsoe in hindsight. He was a nice find for the Clippers.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
The 2008, 2009 and 2010 picks would've have been in the exact same place had you drafted Noah over Green.

OKC
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
try the same idea with a different team.
most of our picks were spot on.

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
They've done a great job... no tsure I would change much, but that said, if I had hindsight....

Durant, they could have drafted Noah with him instaed of Green... and then they wouldn't have have to trade Green for Perk ;-) lol

I would certainly hang onto Carly Landry, then pick up KLove instead of Westbrook, as I would no longer need a PG, especially one that is such a ball hog and takes up a max-deal.
Maybe take Pekovic instead of Ibaka.... Ibaka would be hard... because if I had Love I'd want a center and they could have taken Asik or Jordan with that pick as well as Pek, but you'd already have Noah... I dunno...

I think Harden is still very much the right pick in 2009.
2010, I think hanging onto Beldsoe is a good idea and picking up Jordan Crawford.
And 2011... they may want to have picked up Singler.

A roster with Pek, Noah Love and Durant in the front court and Lowry with Harden and Bledsoe in the back court... pretty impressive...

DitchDat
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
2007: Durant and Joakim Noah
2008: Love and Batum
2009: Rubio and Taj Gibson
2010: Avery Bradley

PG Rubio / Bradley
SG Durant / Bradley
SF Batum / Durant
PF Love / Gibson
C Noah / Love / Gibson

topdog
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
The 2008, 2009 and 2010 picks would've have been in the exact same place had you drafted Noah over Green.

It's just a simple hypothetical. I think it's fair to assume that the Thunder would have picks in the same general area regardless of who they drafted.

try the same idea with a different team.
most of our picks were spot on.

Please don't take this as me attacking the Thunder or Presti - not the purpose of this exercise. I'd be happy to do a different team once this one has run its course. Looking at the draft prospects available and the location of the picks, I think it can be objectively stated that it would have been hard for Presti to go wrong after he put in the planning and work to get them.

ChiSox219
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Eric Bledsoe
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Joakim Noah

Serge Ibaka

I figure Ibaka gets close to 30mpg with Noah being at 30-33 and Love being used for 35mpg.

topdog
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
They've done a great job... no tsure I would change much, but that said, if I had hindsight....

Durant, they could have drafted Noah with him instaed of Green... and then they wouldn't have have to trade Green for Perk ;-) lol

I would certainly hang onto Carly Landry, then pick up KLove instead of Westbrook, as I would no longer need a PG, especially one that is such a ball hog and takes up a max-deal.
Maybe take Pekovic instead of Ibaka.... Ibaka would be hard... because if I had Love I'd want a center and they could have taken Asik or Jordan with that pick as well as Pek, but you'd already have Noah... I dunno...

I think Harden is still very much the right pick in 2009.
2010, I think hanging onto Beldsoe is a good idea and picking up Jordan Crawford.
And 2011... they may want to have picked up Singler.

A roster with Pek, Noah Love and Durant in the front court and Lowry with Harden and Bledsoe in the back court... pretty impressive...

How did you get to Lowry:confused:

Also, no second rounders. Too much "if"ness at play here already. But it would have been a nice pick to have kept Landry who still seems to be underappreciated.

LAKobeBryant
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't think Kevin Love would be the player today if he was drafted on OKC and played along side with Durant.

OKC
12-04-2012, 05:56 PM
It's just a simple hypothetical. I think it's fair to assume that the Thunder would have picks in the same general area regardless of who they drafted.

Please don't take this as me attacking the Thunder or Presti - not the purpose of this exercise. I'd be happy to do a different team once this one has run its course. Looking at the draft prospects available and the location of the picks, I think it can be objectively stated that it would have been hard for Presti to go wrong after he put in the planning and work to get them.

not at all, im just saying that maybe a pick or two can be improved while with other teams, lets say memphis, it would make a much bigger change from what actually happened.
lets say memphis take westbrook over mayo.
then they take harden/rubio over thabeet.
they have a core of:
rubio/conley
westbrook
gay
randolph
gasol

topdog
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't think Kevin Love would be the player today if he was drafted on OKC and played along side with Durant.

I agree with this sentiment so far as Love's offensive game may not have ever reached 20ppg next to Durant. I also wonder if he might have taken the role of Harden in wanting his own team.

I think we can safely say that Love would still be an awesome rebounder though and maybe even another 3pt weapon next to Durant. Hard to say.

topdog
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
not at all, im just saying that maybe a pick or two can be improved while with other teams, lets say memphis, it would make a much bigger change from what actually happened.
lets say memphis take westbrook over mayo.
then they take harden/rubio over thabeet.
they have a core of:
rubio/conley
westbrook
gay
randolph
gasol

That's actually why I think OKC is so interesting. As you can see above, some posters elected to make very few changes. I think the most questionable picks are Green and Aldrich, but even those were solid (from a scout talent perspective) at the time. There also are lots of debatable options in those drafts.

OKC
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
That's actually why I think OKC is so interesting. As you can see above, some posters elected to make very few changes. I think the most questionable picks are Green and Aldrich, but even those were solid (from a scout talent perspective) at the time. There also are lots of debatable options in those drafts.

if we want to look at the 2011 draft too, we could have chosen marshon brooks over reggie jackson.
i know you said no trades but if we could trade up two picks we could get faried.:drool:

xnick5757
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
2007: Durant and Noah

2008: Westbrook and Ibaka

2009: Harden and Taj Gibson

2010: Ed Davis

2011: Chandler Parsons

giving a team of:

PG: Westbrook
SG: Harden:
SF: Durant
PF: Ibaka
C: Noah

with a bench of Ed Davis and Chandler Parsons

Swashcuff
12-04-2012, 06:39 PM

That's why its purely hypothetical.

Swashcuff
12-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Thing is though Love can be the perfect garbage man for any team while giving you a solid 18-22 ppg and extremely good efficiency next to Kevin Durant. In his breakout season of 10-11 he almost never had plays drawn up for him as he plays independent of the system itself. He'd be a great complement for a player like Durant.

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree with this sentiment so far as Love's offensive game may not have ever reached 20ppg next to Durant. I also wonder if he might have taken the role of Harden in wanting his own team.

I think we can safely say that Love would still be an awesome rebounder though and maybe even another 3pt weapon next to Durant. Hard to say.

I don't remember Harden asking for his own team... he got traded, and not at his request.

As for Love not reaching his high pointsper average, I would suggest it is very possible he still gets near where he got, Westbrook was scoring 25 a game next to Durant afterall.... why couldn't Love score 20+?

Devils05
12-04-2012, 10:05 PM

2007: Durant / Noah
2008: Love / Ibaka
2009: Harden / M Thornton
2010: Vasquez

Noah
Love/Ibaka
Durant
Harden/Thornton
Vasquez

mdm692
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I always thought the Jeff Green pick was redundant and would have gone with Noah then and now and I wasn't very high on Westbrook as a Collison fan. So, at the time, I probably would have taken:

Durant

Rubio

Larry Sanders

Rubio
Batum
Durant/Budinger
Love
Noah/Sanders

This is just a disgusting line up top to bottom. It might lack a bit of defense but this is a Dynasty.

topdog
12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't remember Harden asking for his own team... he got traded, and not at his request.

As for Love not reaching his high pointsper average, I would suggest it is very possible he still gets near where he got, Westbrook was scoring 25 a game next to Durant afterall.... why couldn't Love score 20+?

1. The Harden thing is a point of view that I think has a good chance of being true. The gist of it is that Harden and the Thunder were supposedly haggling over $2M but what was really at stake for Harden was that 5th year he could get elsewhere.

2. I'm not saying that Love couldn't. I'm simply saying that in the hypothetical realm one should not assume players turn out the same way on different teams/in different roles.

Baller1
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Durant

Rubio

Larry Sanders

Rubio
Batum
Durant/Budinger
Love
Noah/Sanders

You might as well have opened this thread and closed it instantly, haha.

This team is disgustingly good. They'd have a chance to win 7-10 championships straight.

mrblisterdundee
12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
2007: Kevin Durant and Joakim Noah
2008: Kevin Love and Goran Dragic
2009: James Harden and Taj Gibson
2010: Jordan Crawford

I chose Dragic so I could still get Harden, who I think would be more valuable right now even if Ricky Rubio had come from Spain immediately and wasn't injured. Other than that, I tried to get some balance on the draft picks, with Gibson being the front court back-up who does the dirty work and Crawford being the back court spark off the bench.

topdog
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
This is just a disgusting line up top to bottom. It might lack a bit of defense but this is a Dynasty.

You might as well have opened this thread and closed it instantly, haha.

This team is disgustingly good. They'd have a chance to win 7-10 championships straight.

:bow: Thank you! Thank you!