PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol out "indefinitely"

dnewguy
12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Laker's Coach:
Whatever it takes -- one game, two games, 10 games -- I don't know. It's day to day but he's got to be healthy. It wasn't fair (to him). He's trying to battle through some stuff and in this league, you just can't do that.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8709159/pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers-tuesday-houston-rockets-tendinitis-knees

Per Marc Stein Twitter

RT @mcten: New story: Pau Gasol to sit indefinitely to rest knees; no trade in works, according to league sources

Getting interesting in LA...stay tuned

xxplayerxx23
12-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Amare>Gasol LOL but seriously, hope he is fine.

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Good because he's just embarrassing himself now

Chronz
12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Bout time, wonder why it comes on the heels of Kobes criticism. Coincidence most likely but the timing is funny to me. Im very curious to see how the Lakers fare in his absence. Been wanting to see Antawn with Dwight more often.

HaruSoul
12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Amare for Gasol, do it.

Hellcrooner
12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
good, maybe he can recover his knees well and come back doing his ****ing 18 and 10 job.

justinnum1
Interesting. Might be similar to Amare where gasol just hurts his team when he plays.

Watch them go on a winning streak now.

kdspurman
He played 82 games 2 seasons ago 65/66 last year plus playing for Spain. I think the rest will do him well.

310Casper
12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Mitch Cupchak making sure he doesn't get injured for the inevitable pending trade soon.

310Casper
12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Amare for Gasol, do it.

No.

I'd rather keep Gasol and his expiring next year, then go on a spending spree for the 2014 free agent class.

Do not want Amare's contract. Amare's is barely an improvement, if any, over Gasol.

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
It's funny that the coach who threw him under the bus is being so kind now.

this guy has been playing through pain and everybody arond him has been using him for a scape goat. He deserves so much better than this.

LAL doesn't appreciate what this guy does for the team. Playing through pain like that? Most guys would have been off since the start of the season witht he pain he's been playing through.

I hope Gasol ends up somewhere where he'll be appreciated!

Raps18-19 Champ
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Bargnani and Kleiza for Gasol.

Sactown
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Such a shame, that such a good reliable player has been getting this much heat lately, it's undeserving and kind of sad... He's treated like the next Amare and the criticism is unwarrented... I kind of hope they trade him so he can get back on track..

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Such a shame, that such a good reliable player has been getting this much heat lately, it's undeserving and kind of sad... He's treated like the next Amare and the criticism is unwarrented... I kind of hope they trade him so he can get back on track..

Have you been watching him play?

310Casper
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM

He's always been criticized for his softness and lack of hustle, even during their championship years. Sure he had a few memorable games for playing tough, but those are rare.

Lakers fans expect only 1 thing, greatness. He's been on a heavy decline for the last 2 years, a 19 million dollar player playing like a 9 million dollar player. Something laker fans will not deal with.

Sorry if your team settles for mediocrity. We dont in LA.

ManRam
12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Bout time, wonder why it comes on the heels of Kobes criticism. Coincidence most likely but the timing is funny to me. Im very curious to see how the Lakers fare in his absence. Been wanting to see Antawn with Dwight more often.

They compliment each other well on offense, for sure, but defensively Jamison was getting WORKED by Orlando the other night. Big reason why we got points on 16 of the last 17 offensive possessions.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Good because he's just embarrassing himself now

Have some respect dude. This is Pau Gasol, the same guy that basically kept Kobe in LA after Mamba's trade tirade in the summer of 07.

SACNYY
12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
ManRam, your sig is awesome.

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Have some respect dude. This is Pau Gasol, the same guy that basically kept Kobe in LA after Mamba's trade tirade in the summer of 07.

I dont care. Im a Lakers fan, not a Pau Gasol fan. If there is someone on the team thats keeping them down, get him out of there now.

TheNumber37
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
It takes a lot of energy to run and shoot threes all day. But playing no defense should've helped (Vauge D'Antoni Criticism)

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 03:53 PM
He's always been criticized for his softness and lack of hustle, even during their championship years. Sure he had a few memorable games for playing tough, but those are rare.

Lakers fans expect only 1 thing, greatness. He's been on a heavy decline for the last 2 years, a 19 million dollar player playing like a 9 million dollar player. Something laker fans will not deal with.

Bingo! :clap:

SteBO
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
The immaturity on this board is astounding.....

Anyway, there were rumblings of tendinitis in his knees for a while now, but I'm not entirely sure that's the main issue. I guess we'll see when he does get healthy.

Regardless, get well soon Pau.

Chronz
12-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Have you been watching him play?
What makes you think he hasnt?

Chronz
12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
They compliment each other well on offense, for sure, but defensively Jamison was getting WORKED by Orlando the other night. Big reason why we got points on 16 of the last 17 offensive possessions.

Yea I mentioned it in the GT, sounds like D'Antoni's style tho. Also I want to see Pau come off the bench so he can play his game with the 2nd unit ala Kevin McHale.

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
What makes you think he hasnt?

Because he wouldnt have said what he said. He does deserve heat for the way he has been playing. You dont get a pass because your a nice guy. What kind of **** is that? We dont care how nice you are in LA, just how nice you are on the court and Pau is a liability right now on the court.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I dont care. Im a Lakers fan, not a Pau Gasol fan. If there is someone on the team thats keeping them down, get him out of there now.

If it wasn't for Pau Gasol's arrival in 08, Kobe would probably be in a Bulls uniform right now, and I highly doubt you'd be a Laker fan as you would probably be sore at management these last 4 yrs for wasting away KB's prime yrs without bringing in a #2 option to compliment him.

Be thankful for what you have had in the past and what you have now (Dwight and Nash) and just be patient. Let's patiently wait and see how this all plays out.

Chronz
12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Because he wouldnt have said what he said. He does deserve heat for the way he has been playing. You dont get a pass because your a nice guy. What kind of **** is that? We dont care how nice you are in LA, just how nice you are on the court and Pau is a liability right now on the court.
But what he said was perfectly fine, its his opinion that him attempting to play through his injury was an admirable quality, thus not worthy of the hate parade your throwing.

Who said anything about nice? Isnt he sitting because of injury, isnt that what this THREAD IS TELLING US. That Pau must pay attention to his body before returning to the court? Nice? WTF guy

GiantsSwaGG
I feel sorry for Laker fans who have Dwight in their sigs

LAKERMANIA
Good, maybe now we'll have a better chance at winning games

Hellcrooner
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
But what he said was perfectly fine, its his opinion that him attempting to play through his injury was an admirable quality, thus not worthy of the hate parade your throwing.

Who said anything about nice? Isnt he sitting because of injury, isnt that what this THREAD IS TELLING US. That Pau must pay attention to his body before returning to the court? Nice? WTF guy

Lol, when Kobe plays hurt he gets credit, when pau does he gets bashed.

is a lose lose situation 100% of the time.

JNoel
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
If the Lakers start winning games in Pau's absense, then it's almost a given that he will be traded.

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
If it wasn't for Pau Gasol's arrival in 08, Kobe would probably be in a Bulls uniform right now, and I highly doubt you'd be a Laker fan as you would probably be sore at management these last 4 yrs for wasting away KB's prime yrs without bringing in a #2 option to compliment him.

Be thankful for what you have had in the past and what you have now (Dwight and Nash) and just be patient. Let's patiently wait and see how this all plays out.

First of all, I don't deal in hypothetical's. Kobe didn't leave and I don't care the reason. Management was going to get someone to make Kobe happy, Pau or not.

Secondly, I've been a Lakers fan since 84, I watched the Lakers floor Sam Bowie, Elden Campbell, Cedric Cebollos, Anthony Peeler, Terry Teagle, Sedale Threat, etc. I never jump ship. I've been to games at the forum and staples. I dont give a **** about Kobe, **** Kobe. If Kobe leaves, we bring in another superstar and the show goes on.

Bruno
12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
i think its a good idea. let the big man rest and take some time off. people forget how hard he's worked, and how many games he has logged since becoming a Laker.

get well pau.

JiffyMix88
12-04-2012, 04:28 PM
This is going to be a win win for me. If they win games they will trade Pau which is great cause I can't see them winning without him. If they lose I just get to sit back and watch PSD explode haha this is gonna be great

amos1er
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
It's funny that the coach who threw him under the bus is being so kind now.

this guy has been playing through pain and everybody arond him has been using him for a scape goat. He deserves so much better than this.

LAL doesn't appreciate what this guy does for the team. Playing through pain like that? Most guys would have been off since the start of the season witht he pain he's been playing through.

I hope Gasol ends up somewhere where he'll be appreciated!

I agree. I am one of the rare Lakers fans that believes in Pau. We owe two of our rings to that guy and I believe that Jim Buss's incompetence is what is really hurting him.

Pau was tailor made for Phil's offense. Jim's little inferiority complex towards Phil is what's hurting Lakers fans the most. Jim should have hired Phil back after his little Mike Brown experiment blew up in his face. Now he is going to have to trade Pau just to accommodate another terrible decision he made. His mistakes just keep compounding and he is too arrogant to admit he is wrong. It's really a damn shame.

JesusNYY_Savior
12-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Im hoping LA goes on a big streak so Pau gets traded.. you can have amare! :D

amos1er
12-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Im hoping LA goes on a big streak so Pau gets traded.. you can have amare! :D

You can keep Amare.

ZHawk1123
12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Pau Gasol > Jordan Hill

PleaseBeNice
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Why do some Laker fans treat this guy like ****? Without him, Kobe would not have his 4th/5th. Pau is an extremely smart player and possesses a very high skill level. I would appreciate the hell out of Pau if he was on my team.

Bruno
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree. I am one of the rare Lakers fans that believes in Pau. We owe two of our rings to that guy and I believe that Jim Buss's incompetence is what is really hurting him.

Pau was tailor made for Phil's offense. Jim's little inferiority complex towards Phil is what's hurting Lakers fans the most. Jim should have hired Phil back after his little Mike Brown experiment blew up in his face. Now he is going to have to trade Pau just to accommodate another terrible decision he made. His mistakes just keep compounding and he is too arrogant to admit he is wrong. It's really a damn shame.

pretty much.

Nash should have been the guy to play outside his comfort zone in the triangle. Not Gasol in the dantoni offense. Gasol gets paid twice the money and is six years younger.

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Pau Gasol > Jordan Hill

ok? :confused:

Bruno
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
what sucks is that if LA gives him up, he's probably going to kill it with the new team. because they'll cater to his game.

Dade County
12-04-2012, 04:45 PM
He's faking... He just doesn't want to get traded, so he needs to let other GM's out their know, that he has bad knees..etc

Anything to stay in L.A I guess.

Munkeysuit
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Cool beans...hopefully it's because they are working out to trade the guy, everyone knows Pau deserves to be on a team where he's not the scapegoat.

JiffyMix88
12-04-2012, 04:47 PM
He's faking... He just doesn't want to get traded, so he needs to let other GM's out their know, that he has bad knees..etc

Anything to stay in L.A I guess.

that sounds like a terrible theory my friend

Hellcrooner
what sucks is that if LA gives him up, he's probably going to kill it with the new team. because they'll cater to his game.

not sure bout that.

1st of all, tendinitis is a *****, it doesnt go away easily and it can **** you for an entire year ( Ask Rafa Nadal)..

2nd his game relies in his BRAINS more than in any thing else, if he is "down" he stops caring like it happened in his last season in memphis.

So if he gets traded to some lottery or mediocre team he will probably check out mentally collect his checks and prepare for the euro championship this summer.

IF he is traded to a CONTENDER tough, thats another story, thats why i NOWHERE in hell want to see a Pau for Amare Swap.

nickdymez
Its to many Pau apologist around here. Pau has a history of *****ing up. He acts like a woman on the court. Pg's grab rebounds over him constantly. Fat *** big baby blocked his sissy *** little dunk attempt the other night. Im sick of him. Im sick of people saying "If not for pau" blah, blah, blah. Id rather have LO back. Id rather have fish back. You know, guys that play with heart and passion. Pau plays like he's menstrating and im sick of that ****. Real Laker fans are too. People who want to "Stick it out with Pau" even at the sake of the team arent real fans to me. Sorry.

Bruno
12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
not sure bout that.

1st of all, tendinitis is a *****, it doesnt go away easily and it can **** you for an entire year ( Ask Rafa Nadal)..

2nd his game relies in his BRAINS more than in any thing else, if he is "down" he stops caring like it happened in his last season in memphis.

So if he gets traded to some lottery or mediocre team he will probably check out mentally collect his checks and prepare for the euro championship this summer.

IF he is traded to a CONTENDER tough, thats another story, thats why i NOWHERE in hell want to see a Pau for Amare Swap.

right.

he'd have to be traded to a playoff team who caters to his strengths, ey?

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Futhermore, we as fans dont owe Pau ****. Neither does the front office who pays that man 20 million a year to have little emotional breakdowns every year. Let him go to another team and do good. He's the third option on the Lakers and when Nash comes back, probably the 4th. So good bye Pau

Dade County
12-04-2012, 04:52 PM
that sounds like a terrible theory my friend

You could have said... Bad Theory... But Terrible :cry:... damn!

Hawkeye15
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
not sure bout that.

would love to see him with Pekovic and Love, but not sure we have enough outside that to send to LA to get him.

Hellcrooner
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
would love to pair him with Pekovic and Love, but not sure we have enough outside that to send to LA to get him.

d Will and Kirilenko.

but losing kirilenko would not be a good idea unless dunleavy can get away with playing love at sf....

Hawkeye15
12-04-2012, 05:15 PM
d Will and Kirilenko.

but losing kirilenko would not be a good idea unless dunleavy can get away with playing love at sf....

Adelman? haha, I know you will be back onboard with the Wolves around th 12th :p

Love is not playing SF. I simply meant, it would be awesome to have 96 minutes up front to play those 3, while giving them rest. 32, 32, 32 mpg each or so.

Yeah, with Budinger down, we are so thin at SF, we are using Josh freakin Howard there now, and even playing small ball with Shved as a 3rd guard.

Hellcrooner
12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Adelman? haha, I know you will be back onboard with the Wolves around th 12th :p

Love is not playing SF. I simply meant, it would be awesome to have 96 minutes up front to play those 3, while giving them rest. 32, 32, 32 mpg each or so.

Yeah, with Budinger down, we are so thin at SF, we are using Josh freakin Howard there now, and even playing small ball with Shved as a 3rd guard.

of course you could try to send pekovic to hornets ( lakers want anderson) and play gasol at the 5.

Zefflin
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Good, he needs it.

^^understatment

Hawkeye15
12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
of course you could try to send pekovic to hornets ( lakers want anderson) and play gasol at the 5.

meh, not really interested in doing that honestly. Pekovic is younger, pretty good, and will cost half of what Gasol does.

Again, we really don't have much to match. Just a thought

kobebabe
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
He needs the rest!

Evolution23
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Finally the Lakers can trade Gasol for Bosh. Gasol will finally add that inside dominance the sissies have been lacking. The Lakers will get a ferocious Raptor that will eat other centers. Pretty even trade if you ask me.

Sssmush
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM

actually it sounds very much like Pau didn't ask for the time off. It sounds like Dant'oni and MitchJim thought he's been playing bad, and so went looking for an excuse. "Are your knees bothering you?" -- "Yes, maybe some tendinitis, but not so bad." -- "Ok, we're gonna sit you for a while and get you back to 100%."

Then when press asks Dan'toni "why is he sitting", he says "wow, Pau is just so heroic to have been playing with these injuries and pain all this time."

Whether they are looking to trade him or not is a moot point, they might be putting him on ice for a while until Anderson comes on the market.

justinnum1
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Finally the Lakers can trade Gasol for Bosh. Gasol will finally add that inside dominance the sissies have been lacking. The Lakers will get a ferocious Raptor that will eat other centers. Pretty even trade if you ask me.

lol

nickdymez
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Gasol on the Heat would be deadly. Even i will admit that and i've obviously been killin Gasol for a month now.

He115ing
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Better get used to it bro with Dantoni at the helm.

Greedy22
12-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Glad he's sitting out to rest his knees, a healthy Gasol will do wonders for this team.

Bruno
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
can anyone confirm the rumored Gasol for Josh Smith trade?

LAKERS 24/7
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM

How do your confirm a rumor? Its a rumor...

Bruno
12-04-2012, 06:37 PM
How do your confirm a rumor? Its a rumor...

you confirm a rumor, but posting official news.

justinnum1
12-04-2012, 06:37 PM

dont see how that helps the lakers. smith is a bad shooter.

NYSpirit1
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
The Lakers are going to be a disaster. They suck now, basically have Howard and Kobe, a dysfunctional offense and both of their point guards are out indefinitely.

Lakers + Giants
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
**** smith, I'd rather have Amare. I'd rather keep Twan at the 4 spot than trade for smith or amare. Just let Gasol's contract expire or trade his expiring next year. Better than the recent rumors coming out.

SteBO
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
The Smith-Gasol stuff has been rumored for a while now, didn't this also come up last year too?

Max.This
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
isnt josh smith a free agent after this season. Why would they trade him for a player that is obviously showing decline and paying him a 19 million dollar contract next season?

beliges
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Futhermore, we as fans dont owe Pau ****. Neither does the front office who pays that man 20 million a year to have little emotional breakdowns every year. Let him go to another team and do good. He's the third option on the Lakers and when Nash comes back, probably the 4th. So good bye Pau

You cannot possibly be a true Laker fan and say you dont owe **** to Pau. He came on this squad when things were getting extremely dicey and when Kobe was playing his mind games with the front office and "demanding" a trade. He came in, stabilized everything, made Kobe content and helped get the Lakers to 3 straight Finals and back to back titles. Any true Laker fan should always have a high degree of respect and appreciation for what Pau did for the organization.

With that said, starting from the 2011 Playoffs, Pau has been absolutely terrible. I have never seen such a talented player have such a significant and drastic drop in production so quickly. Whether its mental or physical or both, its clear Pau is not the player he was only 2 seasons ago and probably will not get to that point. Its also true that D Antoni is not the right coach for him, and for the entire team for that matter. His style of play not only hinders Pau's production, but it hinders the entire teams' production. I would like to see D Antoni gone before I see Pau gone. But it seems like Pau will not make it through the entire season as a Laker. And it also seems as though this season is kind of a lost season for this team. They dont have the talent, or the coaching to really make noise in the postseason against the elite teams. Very unfortunate as this was a team that was supposed to rival some of the best teams that were ever assembled. However, while the Lakers managed to get the talent, they were counter-productive in hiring two coaches that have no business coaching a team like this, let alone coaching any team in the NBA. Very poor decisions by the front office.

Very sad to see as a Laker fan. This team is a disaster right now and you wont see much change from here on out as their #1 issue is defending and you are not going to get that with this coach.

Andrew32
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Laker's will struggle with Gasol out.
Book it.

kenzo400
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I really think Pau is getting unfairly targeted. So he doesn't fit D'Antoine's system and the coach is talking **** about him as soon as he comes in. Doesn't even attempt to say something like "we can try to work out a game with him because he's talented....etc" Then Kobe starts talking **** and has been all throughout the time Pau has been on the Lakers. Newsflash to Kobe, you didn't win **** without Gasol after Shaq left.

RonE Coleman
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Gasol sure is getting overrated nowadays.

How is it possible that a 32 year old, on the decline Gasol could land Josh Smith and Kyle Korver.

Plus the Hawks have one of the cheapest owners in the NBA, why would they want Gasols contract.

amos1er
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
pretty much.

Nash should have been the guy to play outside his comfort zone in the triangle. Not Gasol in the dantoni offense. Gasol gets paid twice the money and is six years younger.

Yup this is completely logical thinking. I don't know why Jim Buss had to be so damn arrogant. Everyone can see it.

Gasol = greater investment with more short term and long term benefits.

Nash = lesser investment with less short term and long term benefits.

D'Antoni = what can I say other than why the **** didn't Jimbo hire Phil back. People like Jim Buss truly make the world a more ****ed up place to live.

Chronz
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
actually it sounds very much like Pau didn't ask for the time off. It sounds like Dant'oni and MitchJim thought he's been playing bad, and so went looking for an excuse. "Are your knees bothering you?" -- "Yes, maybe some tendinitis, but not so bad." -- "Ok, we're gonna sit you for a while and get you back to 100%."

Then when press asks Dan'toni "why is he sitting", he says "wow, Pau is just so heroic to have been playing with these injuries and pain all this time."

Whether they are looking to trade him or not is a moot point, they might be putting him on ice for a while until Anderson comes on the market.
Thats an interesting take, albeit depressing as a Pau fan.

JJ_JKidd
12-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Laker's Coach:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8709159/pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers-tuesday-houston-rockets-tendinitis-knees

Per Marc Stein Twitter

Getting interesting in LA...stay tuned

He can't be traded because of his knees (and contract).

looka09
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Michael Scotto @MikeAScotto 8m Los Angeles GM Mitch Kupchak told Pau
Gasol's representatives Pau must adjust to
Mike D'Antoni's system or he's trade bait.
(ESPN)

eternal slumber
12-05-2012, 02:22 AM
seems like Pau will be traded soon.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21263677/report-lakers-have-informed-pau-gasol-hell-be-traded-if-situation-doesnt-improve

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Laker's will struggle with Gasol out.
Book it.

And they struggled with him.

What is their actually to book? :confused:

richiesaurus310
12-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Any chance D'antoni gets fired soon and Phil gets hired lmao...

If Pau does get traded who would take him? If he is traded the Lakers have to get depth for him, becuase I doubt they get a single player worth while for him unless its amare. Theyll probably want to trade him to a team in the east. And that team would have to be willing to roll the dice in order to make a run. How about the Milwaukee Bucks?

Pau Gasol and Ron Artest
For
Udrih, Dalembert, Dunleavy, Harris, and Udoh

This would give the Lakers some much needed depth, and $20 million off the books this offseason, plus another $20 million if Dwight leaves if this season really goes south. This would give the bucks two experienced pieces to maybe make a run in the east with what they already have.

sagemania
12-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Gasol and metta and fillers for Deng and Loozer.

SportsFanatic10
12-05-2012, 06:15 AM
And they struggled with him.

What is their actually to book? :confused:

he's just saying that even though some people are using pau as a scapegoat it's not all on him. the lakers have problems either way at the moment.