PDA

View Full Version : How Imporant are rings to an Star players career really?

Alayla
12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
This is just a thought i had but how can anyone bash
Stockton
Iverson
Dirk (untill recently)
Malone
Durant so far
who ever really has been an awsome player and hasnt won anything but was loyal to there team stuck to there guns and worked with what they had

When you have players like
LBJ
and
Howard yet to win

these guys forced there way out of there teams to get better teams and will most likely win before they are done

then guys who chased rings at the end of there carrer or mabye there whole careers
Shaq comes to mind he always seemed to be wherever the best odds to win where

Then people have the nerve to use championships as an argument for players to be better than others when comparing a player there success as an individual should matter much more than the success of the team and in return we would see more loyalty out of players.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
rings will forever be overrated when ranking players.

Slug3
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Malone tried when going to the Lakers, Iverson tried but nobody would take him. Some players try when they are getting towards the end of their career.

Also I'm not sure but are you saying Lebron will win one before he's done?

ShadyOne
12-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Rings elevate the star player to legend status...

Noone will ever deny how great some players were, but it definitely changes the perception of a player. Unless a player was potentially in the conversation for GOAT status, would be remembered as a guy who never won.

Alayla
12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Malone tried when going to the Lakers, Iverson tried but nobody would take him. Some players try when they are getting towards the end of their career.

i was refering to Dwight and LBJ will likely win another

Alayla
12-03-2012, 10:59 PM

Iverson wasnt really Ring chasing at the end he more or less wanted to play anywhere that would take him Contender or not and i cant really aruge with the whole malone to the lakers thing because to be honest i dont remember any of the events leading up to him going onto that roster i remember watching that team though

Slug3
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Iverson wasnt really Ring chasing at the end he more or less wanted to play anywhere that would take him Contender or not and i cant really aruge with the whole malone to the lakers thing because to be honest i dont remember any of the events leading up to him going onto that roster i remember watching that team though

I honestly feel some players when they are young want money over anything. But then we they get to the end they go to contenders for cheap. Malone, Barkley, I mean Nash wanted to be traded to LA. I even thought I read dirk would have joined Miami if Wade and Bron asked him (not sure how legit this rumor was though).

I honesty feel it doesn't hurt their legacy, but it could be important to some players at the end of their careers.

ManRam
12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Just like everything else, you gotta put it all in perspective. Some players play on great teams more frequently than others. It can certainly be unfair to say that 4 rings > 2 rings.

Usually people tend to overrate them because of that, and many other things as well.

SteveNash
12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Rings aren't everything, but almost every "star" has at least a couple years with a great supporting cast.

Bishnoff
12-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Typically, rings are a measure of whether a franchise player is a winner or not. Some players can have great careers but lack the killer instinct or the ability to take over a game when required – these players are not winners.

There are many variables however, including (but not limited to) a franchise player’s supporting cast, and quality of opposition. It should be a qualitative measure as opposed to a quantitative measure (more rings doesn’t necessarily mean that a player is more of a winner).

AddiX
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
More important than they should be.

Slug3
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
All I know is I have heard players say they would give up MVP awards or other awards for a ring, I have never heard anyone say I would give up a ring for an award.

Alayla
12-04-2012, 12:35 AM
All I know is I have heard players say they would give up MVP awards or other awards for a ring, I have never heard anyone say I would give up a ring for an award.

thats because of the preseption of rings
thats the entire point of this thread rings are taken too srsly

Raps18-19 Champ
12-04-2012, 12:38 AM
rings will forever be overrated when ranking players.

This.

blastmasta26
12-04-2012, 02:03 AM
It's all about context really. For the most part, they're overvalued in individual rankings but sometimes they are legitimate barometers of success.

Bruno
12-04-2012, 03:53 AM
legacy is about story-arch. with no happy ending, or glorious climax- the story just isn't as good. it's an unfair truth.

Sactown
12-04-2012, 04:04 AM
They're very important to the players, considering it's the reason they play... Because they love to compete, but they're extremely overrated in player ranking.

amos1er
12-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Rings are the most important thing on a players resume. Deal with it Lebronites.

DumDum
12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
to a star hall of famer type not much to PSD more than the SUN itself

JordansBulls
12-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Depends how you get them. It matters only when you have had legit opportunities to get them. Such as being the top seed in the conference, etc. Being a 4 seed on a team not a legit contender won't matter much.
Like in the case of someone like Tmac the only time he had a great opportunity to get a ring was 2007, the other years can't be held against him. In the case of Lebron only from 2009-2012 has he had a great opportunity, before that he had not much of a chance so it can't be held against him. For KG only 2004 did he have a chance with Minny and no other year did he have a chance.

Method28
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
In my opinions rings mean less to a avg-good player (career wise.) When considering players like Kobe, LeBron and so on...they mean a great deal because of the elevation they bring. At that point everyone knows you're great...but can you become legendary? Rings immortalize players...that's why they're so important.