PDA

View Full Version : Sport's Illustrated' Sportsman of the Year: LeBron James!

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
the cover photo looks pretty good, check out the story on ESPN or SI's website:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8705003/lebron-james-chosen-si-sportsman-year

"LeBron kind of made it easy on us," Fichtenbaum said. "In a year that had really high standards, he just stood taller than everybody else."

James won essentially all he could win in 2012: He became an NBA champion for the first time, won the NBA Finals MVP trophy, helped the U.S. win Olympic gold for the second time and picked up his third NBA MVP award.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/sportsman/12/02/lebron-james-2012-sportsman/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a4

Pat Riley stood in the mouth of the tunnel at Boston's TD Garden, between the court and the locker room, and waited for the Boat. That's what he calls LeBron James -- "You know," Riley explains, "best of all time" -- an acronym he conjured to remind the planet's preeminent basketball player of frontiers still to be conquered. "Hey, Boat," Riley will say. "How is the Boat doing today?" James will reflexively laugh and shake his head because he is not the Boat, at least not yet. But on that sweaty night at the Garden, in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals, facing yet another summer cast as the villain foiled, he delivered one of the Boat performances in NBA history. The image of James throughout the game, bent at the waist, staring skyward with pupils pushed to his eyelids, recalled predators of different breeds. "He was primal," Riley says. "He was a cobra, a leopard, a tiger hunched over his kill."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/sportsman/12/02/lebron-james-2012-sportsman/index.html#ixzz2E0n7mER4

thoughts?

ManRam
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Absolutely and positively a no-brainer.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
oh that BOAT.

SportsFanatic10
12-03-2012, 01:45 PM
nice! well deserved :clap:

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
The nominees were Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin, Miguel Cabrera, and of course Roger Frederer.

pretty impressive list.

Longhornfan1234
12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
My Lord and Savior, King James. The best player since MJ. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Longhornfan1234
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Coach K(GOAT coach) on King James:

"The game is a house, and some players only have one or two windows in their house because they can't absorb any more light," says Mike Krzyzewski, head coach of Team USA.
"When I met LeBron, he only had a few windows, but then he learned how beautiful the game can be, so he put more windows in.
Now he sees the damn game so well, it's like he lives in a glass building. He has entered a state of mastery. There's nothing he can't do.
God gave him a lot but he is using everything. He's one of the unique sports figures of all time, really, and he's right in that area where it's all come together."
A voracious mind has caught up with a supreme body. The marriage is a marvel.

mvb815
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
lebron had a hell of a year, so did miggy, to beat him out should mean a lot for his rep

SportsFanatic10
12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
My Lord and Savior, King James. The best player since MJ. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

lol someone needs to change their underwear.

torocan
12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
The nominees were Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin, Miguel Cabrera, and of course Roger Frederer.

pretty impressive list.

I wouldn't have gone with James.

James was great last year but it was only his First championship.

Usain Bolt was DOMINANT for his SECOND Olympics in a row.

World records in the 100 AND 200M.

6 Olympic gold medals.
6 World Championship gold medals.

Usain Bolt is quite simply, the fastest sprinter that has EVER Lived, and nobody even knows if he'll be around to compete in another Olympics.

Bolt deserved it this year as not only has he been more dominant, but because this may be the last time we get to see him going for Olympic Gold.

And if they didn't want to give it to Bolt, it probably should have gone to Phelps. Most gold medals, Ever.

Nuff said.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
yeah i was shocked he beat out cabrera lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 02:16 PM

6 Olympic gold medals.

Usain Bolt is quite simply, the fastest sprinter that has EVER Lived, and nobody even knows if he'll be around to compete in another Olympics.

Bolt deserved it this year as not only has he been more dominant, but because this may be the last time we get to see him going for Olympic Gold.

And if they didn't want to give it to Bolt, it probably should have gone to Phelps. Most gold medals, Ever.

Nuff said.

hmm the award is for the years accomplishments not career.
so based off of the list, imo it would have been between lebron or miguel cabrera.

valade16
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM

pretty impressive list.

6 Olympic gold medals.

Nuff said.

Agreed. Not that LeBron was an undeserving person to win it, I just think that the Olympics only come around once every 4 years and so it's not like these Olympians have a lot of opportunities to win this award, and to do something like what Bolt did or Phelps was incredible, yet they aren't one of the "major" sports so ESPN apparently doesn't care...

torocan
12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
hmm the award is for the years accomplishments not career.
so based off of the list, imo it would have been between lebron or miguel cabrera.

Uh... 3 gold medals at the Olympics, including setting the World Record in the 400M and the Olympic Record in the 100M.

ONLY man in HISTORY to successfully defend the 100M AND 200M gold medals.

7th straight Title in the 100M AND 200M.

All done this year.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Uh... 3 gold medals at the Olympics, including setting the World Record in the 400M and the Olympic Record in the 100M.

All done this year.

hmm that is quiet impressive.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
no brainer imo. MVP, Finals MVP, Championship, gold medal. That is completely dominating a sport, from top to bottom.

Article is pretty good.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM

All done this year.

now can you also tell me what has he done off field?

Ebbs
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
There wasn't another option even

Max.This
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Dwayne wade

torocan
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
now can you also tell me what has he done off field?

http://usainbolt.com/foundation/

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
http://usainbolt.com/foundation/

dude all stars have foundations lol even reggie bush, but what has he done last year that is remarkable?
if you read the article it shows countless things lebron has done off the field and on the field as well.

hmm.

torocan
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
no brainer imo. MVP, Finals MVP, Championship, gold medal. That is completely dominating a sport, from top to bottom.

Article is pretty good.

It's really not fair to put the Olympic Gold Medal as a major accomplishment given how dominant Team USA is over their competition.

In my opinion, LBJ could have stayed home and the Team USA roster would STILL have dominated the other teams.

There wasn't a team in the Olympics that could have stopped Durant, Melo, Harden, etc, etc.

OneTuzSea
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Well deserved.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
It's really not fair to put the Olympic Gold Medal as a major accomplishment given how dominant Team USA is over their competition.

In my opinion, LBJ could have stayed home and the Team USA roster would STILL have dominated the other teams.

There wasn't a team in the Olympics that could have stopped Durant, Melo, Harden, etc, etc.

Its still hanging in LeBron's trophy case. Therefore it counts.

I get you are trying to make a case for Bolt. That is fine. LeBron's dominance in a team sport, and ability to do everything in the sport well, adding in his off court contributions, won him this award.

Bolt is amazing at what he does. Running a short distance really fast. But it was LeBron's award this year.

Sactown
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Its still hanging in LeBron's trophy case. Therefore it counts.

I get you are trying to make a case for Bolt. That is fine. LeBron's dominance in a team sport, and ability to do everything in the sport well, adding in his off court contributions, won him this award.

Bolt is amazing at what he does. Running a short distance really fast. But it was LeBron's award this year.

:laugh: Way to make what Bolt does look so minimal lol

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM

wasn't on purpose lol. I mean, the dude is a dominant sprinter. Arguably the most dominant of all time. But he year long success doesn't stack up against the attrition LeBron had to deal with.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Agreed. Not that LeBron was an undeserving person to win it, I just think that the Olympics only come around once every 4 years and so it's not like these Olympians have a lot of opportunities to win this award, and to do something like what Bolt did or Phelps was incredible, yet they aren't one of the "major" sports so ESPN apparently doesn't care...

If anything, the Olympics is all the more reason to give it to Lebron. He was without a doubt the No. 1 player on a USA basketball team that owned the Olympics. When you throw that in with him winning the MVP and the Finals MVP, there's only one other guy in the history of the sport to accomplish that feat: Michael Jordan. If that isn't worthy of Sportman of the Year, then I don't know what is.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 04:22 PM

wasn't on purpose lol. I mean, the dude is a dominant sprinter. Arguably the most dominant of all time. But he year long success doesn't stack up against the attrition LeBron had to deal with.

I agree with Hawkeye. Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever, but he doesn't have to deal with half of the pressure or media attention that Lebron does. It's a sport that gets worldwide attention once every four years and then no one cares again for the next three. Lebron was spectacular all season long and had one of the greatest redemption seasons of any professional athlete in the history of any sport. Also, Bolt's dominance was expected, whereas Lebron was at a point where most people almost expected him to fail.

JiffyMix88
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
pathetic he beat all of these fantastic sports figures yet he's given an award for winning a championship and MVP in which they didn't even play a full season

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 04:26 PM
pathetic he beat all of these fantastic sports figures yet he's given an award for winning a championship and MVP in which they didn't even play a full season

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Every single NBA player was under the same 66-game restriction? How does that diminish in any way what Lebron or the Heat accomplished?

Big Zo
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

With the schedule as condensed as it was, he should have received TWO MVP's, and TWO rings.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Every single NBA player was under the same 66-game restriction? How does that diminish in any way what Lebron or the Heat accomplished?

lol he probably thinks the post season format is condensed too lol

Max.This
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM

i dont think that was his point. I think its fair to say there were other athletes that accomplished things that maybe not just the U.S gave a **** about. People all over the world watch the olympics. Athletes that have trained day in and day out, some even without the technology that NBA players work with. It shouldn't be given to an athlete that took a whole team to get the championship. Bolt and some of the other nominees did it by themselves

torocan
12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
whereas Lebron was at a point where most people almost expected him to fail.

Say what? Even before he won the championship he was widely considered to be the best player in the entire NBA. And most everyone expected he would win a championship Eventually, just nobody knew for sure what year that would be.

That's FAR from expecting him to fail.

And while Lebron is arguably the best player of his generation, Bolt is the best in his sport of ALL TIME. He's been the best in the World every year for the last 7 years.

Lebron doesn't even make it into the top 5 discussion of all time NBA players at this point.

Anyway, I'm not saying that LeBron shouldn't be in the discussion, just that when you are the most dominant of ALL TIME in a sport as well at This year, you should go straight to the top of the list, especially if you only get to really showcase it on the big stage every 4 years.

That's why my personal vote goes to Bolt or Phelps. This was most likely the LAST time we'll see them, and that Should count for something when all things are considered.

Unlike Bolt and Phelps, Lebron has a long career ahead of him to showcase his talents and Prove that he's one of the best players of All Time.

The difference is, Bolt and Phelps have Already proven they are the most dominant athletes in their respective sports in History, and did so this year in the most convincing of fashions.

That's not a disrespect to Lebron. Even Lebron in his interview said that he didn't feel he had done enough to be worth of that honor. Maybe he was just sounding good for the cameras, but maybe he was acknowledging that athletes like Bolt and Phelps aren't once in a generation or even once in a lifetime athletes, they're the best that the Human Race has ever seen.

MVP or not, Championship or not, seeing the Best in Human History at a particular sport is something that we'll likely never see again in our lifetimes.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
i dont think that was his point. I think its fair to say there were other athletes that accomplished things that maybe not just the U.S gave a **** about. People all over the world watch the olympics. Athletes that have trained day in and day out, some even without the technology that NBA players work with. It shouldn't be given to an athlete that took a whole team to get the championship. Bolt and some of the other nominees did it by themselves

But based on this logic, then an Olympian or individual athlete should always win over a team athlete. And I don't think that's fair. For one, between the Summer and Winter games, the Olympics come around once every two years. Are we just going to ignore all other sporting events every other year for the sake of this award? Secondly, often an athlete's accomplishments in a team sport are more impressive than athletes in an individual sport. For example, would you say that the greatest tennis player or golfer's season was more impressive than Lebron's or Cabrera's? I certainly wouldn't.

And finally, this is an ESPN award. While the Olympics do dominate ESPN coverage for a month or two out of the year, baseball, basketball and football dominated a good 80 percent of the rest of it. Those are the three major sports and it often takes an unbelievable performance from an individual athlete to dominate sports coverage over the three major sports in this country. You could argue that Bolt's performance was as big a Lebron's or maybe even Douglas' (who also competed in a team sport, btw). But because the NBA is a year-round sport that dominates media coverage for a huge portion of every year, Lebron deserves to win that award.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Say what? Even before he won the championship he was widely considered to be the best player in the entire NBA. And most everyone expected he would win a championship Eventually, just nobody knew for sure what year that would be.

That's FAR from expecting him to fail.

And while Lebron is arguably the best player of his generation, Bolt is the best in his sport of ALL TIME. He's been the best in the World every year for the last 7 years.

Lebron doesn't even make it into the top 5 discussion of all time NBA players at this point.

Anyway, I'm not saying that LeBron shouldn't be in the discussion, just that when you are the most dominant of ALL TIME in a sport as well at This year, you should go straight to the top of the list, especially if you only get to really showcase it on the big stage every 4 years.

That's why my personal vote goes to Bolt or Phelps. This was most likely the LAST time we'll see them, and that Should count for something when all things are considered.

Unlike Bolt and Phelps, Lebron has a long career ahead of him to showcase his talents and Prove that he's one of the best players of All Time.

The difference is, Bolt and Phelps have Already proven they are the most dominant athletes in their respective sports in History, and did so this year in the most convincing of fashions.

That's not a disrespect to Lebron. Even Lebron in his interview said that he didn't feel he had done enough to be worth of that honor. Maybe he was just sounding good for the cameras, but maybe he was acknowledging that athletes like Bolt and Phelps aren't once in a generation or even once in a lifetime athletes, they're the best that the Human Race has ever seen.

MVP or not, Championship or not, seeing the Best in Human History at a particular sport is something that we'll likely never see again in our lifetimes.

What makes a bigger story, or, what do people care about more? LeBron has been followed like a puppy dog for years, and the previous 2 scrutinized more than any athlete I can recall. Bolt took up 3 weeks of our lives (1 week really), while LeBron has BEEN the story for 3 years now. Him finally breaking through, meeting and exceeding all the expectations, is a huge reason he won this award.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree with Hawkeye. Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever, but he doesn't have to deal with half of the pressure or media attention that Lebron does. It's a sport that gets worldwide attention once every four years and then no one cares again for the next three. Lebron was spectacular all season long and had one of the greatest redemption seasons of any professional athlete in the history of any sport. Also, Bolt's dominance was expected, whereas Lebron was at a point where most people almost expected him to fail.

exactly. My last post sums it up. We care about Bolt, and that sport for a couple of weeks, every 4 years. LeBron has been scrutinized and criticized like no other athlete. The story of him breaking through and shutting up all the critics is far more compelling.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Very well deserved for LeBron. On and off the court, the guy is great, a role model, best player in the league, and just a pleasure to watch. The player and person he's become is something to marvel at, and the league is definitely in good hands for yrs to come when these old generation of players like KG, Tim, Kobe etc. all retire.

ManRam
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
What LeBron did this year was more rare than what Bolt did :shrug:

Maybe if Bolt re-set the world record, or something. Not trying to discredit his accomplishments, but LeBron had a year unlike any NBA player ever has, besides you-know-who.

Gram
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Congrats LeGram. :clap:

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Very well deserved for LeBron. On and off the court, the guy is great, a role model, best player in the league, and just a pleasure to watch. The player and person he's become is something to marvel at, and the league is definitely in good hands for yrs to come when these old generation of players like KG, Tim, Kobe etc. all retire.

to me, that is one of the most interesting parts of watching the game. Whose got next?

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Say what? Even before he won the championship he was widely considered to be the best player in the entire NBA. And most everyone expected he would win a championship Eventually, just nobody knew for sure what year that would be. That's FAR from expecting him to fail.
I'm trying to say that the dude had an insane amount of pressure on him to win this season and every reason in the world to crumble under the pressure. Look at the Pacers series, the Boston series and the Heat and Thunder after game one. He could have easily lost any three of those series, but instead he had one of the greatest postseasons in NBA history and won it all.

And while Lebron is arguably the best player of his generation, Bolt is the best in his sport of ALL TIME. He's been the best in the World every year for the last 7 years. Lebron doesn't even make it into the top 5 discussion of all time NBA players at this point.
Not to diminish Bolt, but his sport is also something that no one cares about aside from one event four times a year. Our society cares far more about professional basketball than it does the world of sprinting. Also, I would argue that Lebron is on pace to become the second greatest players OF ALL TIME.

I love Phelps, but hasn't he won the award before? Also, if you were going to give it to an Olympian, it should be Bolt, who completely dominated his events.

While I get what you're trying to say here, I think you're turning this award into a lifetime achievement award. But that's not the case. It's awarded to the greatest individual achievement of that year. Lebron won an NBA championship, an Olympic gold medal, an MVP and a Finals MVP in the same year. I don't know how anyone could top that, IMO.

I'm going to agree to disagree. Sprinting and swimming are two sports that are CONSTANTLY improving because of the advances in technology, training and modern medicine. Times from 100 years ago would seem like complete jokes to athletes today. In 20 years, we could very well be talking about different Olympic athletes in the same way we talk about Phelps and Bolt. And they'll be like the Carl Lewis of our generation, an Olympic athlete we always hear about being the greatest, but whose numbers don't stand up to current athletes.

And because of that very reason, I think those sports are hard to give an award like this to.

torocan
12-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe if Bolt re-set the world record, or something. Not trying to discredit his accomplishments, but LeBron had a year unlike any NBA player ever has, besides you-know-who.

Bolt set the Olympic record in the 100M, and the World Record in the 400M, and he owns the World Record in all 3.

This was all in London.

BklynKnicks3
12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
reward a coward for takin a shortcut nice might as well every1 else does

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Is Melo also a coward for *****ing until he got traded from Denver? Is Amare also a coward for signing with New York instead of sticking with Phoenix? I'm guessing you wouldn't agree with either of those points. If you're going to use idiotic, insane logic, at least be consistent with it.

Baller1
12-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Congrats to him. There was definitely no one more deserving.

Baller1
12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
to me, that is one of the most interesting parts of watching the game. Whose got next?

Lebron, Durant, Rose, Kyrie, and Love are no brainers to represent this league going forward.

Big Zo
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM

They should have given it to Melo for not getting out of the first round again.

ManRam
12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Bolt set the Olympic record in the 100M, and the World Record in the 400M, and he owns the World Record in all 3.

This was all in London.

I forgot he set the world record in the relay...

Still, I think what LeBron did was more unprecedented and impressive.

Bolt should have won in 2008...err...if Michael Phelps didn't exist. He set world record in all three races...amazing.

ManRam
12-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Hahahahahahahaha.

Pot, meet kettle.

valade16
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
If anything, the Olympics is all the more reason to give it to Lebron. He was without a doubt the No. 1 player on a USA basketball team that owned the Olympics. When you throw that in with him winning the MVP and the Finals MVP, there's only one other guy in the history of the sport to accomplish that feat: Michael Jordan. If that isn't worthy of Sportman of the Year, then I don't know what is.

The rarity of LeBron's accomplishment is mitigated by the fact that what Bolt did was as, or perhaps even more rare. How many sprinters in history have had a year as good as Bolt this year?

What makes a bigger story, or, what do people care about more? LeBron has been followed like a puppy dog for years, and the previous 2 scrutinized more than any athlete I can recall. Bolt took up 3 weeks of our lives (1 week really), while LeBron has BEEN the story for 3 years now. Him finally breaking through, meeting and exceeding all the expectations, is a huge reason he won this award.

Is "how much people care" one of the criteria for selection?..

What LeBron did this year was more rare than what Bolt did :shrug:

See below:

This was all in London.

Also, while the idea that LeBron got an Olympic Gold Medal is impressive when added to his Finals MVP and regular season MVP, you have to ask yourself, how many players that won Finals MVP, Regular Season MVP, and a title in the same year would've won an Olympic Gold medal but the only reason they didn't was becasue they either weren't allowed to play in the Olympics or they didn't have an Olympics that year?

I'm betting every single one.

I'm not saying LeBron is undeserving because a good case can be made for most of the people on the list. I just think Bolt should've won it considering LeBron was on what most believed was the most stacked team in the NBA and then what was undoubtedly the most stacked team in the Olympics. Bolt cemented his status as the best Sprinter in history...

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
i think they all have remarkable resumes, but im fine with any choice. im just glad they chose someone that plays one of my favorite sports.

2000 Tiger Woods
2001 Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson
2002 Lance Armstrong Cycling
2003 David Robinson, Tim Duncan
2004 Boston Red Sox (the whole team lol)
2005 Tom Brady
2006 Dwyane Wade
2007 Brett Favre
2008 Michael Phelps
2009 Derek Jeter
2010 Drew Brees
2011 Mike Krzyzewski
2012 LeBron James

crazy how 4 NBA players have been named since the 2000s. phenomenal list.

3ballbomber
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Nothing like giving that coward this award......teaches kids to be determined and never give up but if that doesnt quite pan out for ya you too can quit, join your mates to take that short cut to a championship in a shortened season.

What a joke.........

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
The rarity of LeBron's accomplishment is mitigated by the fact that what Bolt did was as, or perhaps even more rare. How many sprinters in history have had a year as good as Bolt this year?
How many basketball players have done what Lebron did last season by winning MVP, winning a title, winning Olympic gold and putting up insane numbers historically? One guy. Michael Jordan.

Yes, it should. Otherwise, what's to stop a NASCAR driver, a bowler or a skateboarder from winning the award? Those are all legitimate sports which require a certain level of athleticism and precision, but not a chance in hell would an athlete win "Sportsman of the Year" from those sports, because no one gives a crap.

Also, while the idea that LeBron got an Olympic Gold Medal is impressive when added to his Finals MVP and regular season MVP, you have to ask yourself, how many players that won Finals MVP, Regular Season MVP, and a title in the same year would've won an Olympic Gold medal but the only reason they didn't was becasue they either weren't allowed to play in the Olympics or they didn't have an Olympics that year?

I'm betting every single one.
Here's the problem, though. You're underrating how few players win the MVP and the Finals MVP in the same season. I'd have to actually sit down and look at the numbers, but that has to be an incredibly rare feat over the last 30-40 years.

I'm not saying LeBron is undeserving because a good case can be made for most of the people on the list. I just think Bolt should've won it considering LeBron was on what most believed was the most stacked team in the NBA and then what was undoubtedly the most stacked team in the Olympics. Bolt cemented his status as the best Sprinter in history...
But one thing about sprinters is that their numbers never stand the test of time. He'll always have the golds and he's certainly the greatest among his peers and his era, but someone will undoubtedly come along in the next 10-20 years and best faster. It's inevitable.

But I would argue that players of team sports DO stand the test of time, because their numbers, individual and team accomplishments can be measured among athletes that came decades before them.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Nothing like giving that coward this award......teaches kids to be determined and never give up but if that doesnt quite pan out for ya you too can quit, join your mates to take that short cut to a championship in a shortened season.

What a joke.........
As many stupid posts as I've read ripping Lebron over the last couple of years, I'm amazed that I can still be surprised every time I read something so blatantly ignorant like this.

3ballbomber
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
As many stupid posts as I've read ripping Lebron over the last couple of years, I'm amazed that I can still be surprised every time I read something so blatantly ignorant like this.
lmfao @ ignorant. get your head out your bum.

valade16
12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
How many basketball players have done what Lebron did last season by winning MVP, winning a title, winning Olympic gold and putting up insane numbers historically? One guy. Michael Jordan.

And how many have done what Bolt did? If that answer is 0 than how is what LeBron did more impressive? If the answer is 1, same thing...

Yes, it should. Otherwise, what's to stop a NASCAR driver, a bowler or a skateboarder from winning the award? Those are all legitimate sports which require a certain level of athleticism and precision, but not a chance in hell would an athlete win "Sportsman of the Year" from those sports, because no one gives a crap.

I see what you're getting at, but it's a terrible example for a number of reasons.

1). NASCAR is actually very popular and lots of people "give a crap" about it over other sports where people have won the award, such as:

2). Golf (Tiger)
Swimming (Phelps)

Which shows me that a Sprinter should absolute win the award if what they did was impressive enough, and to me what Bolt did was.

But one thing about sprinters is that their numbers never stand the test of time. He'll always have the golds and he's certainly the greatest among his peers and his era, but someone will undoubtedly come along in the next 10-20 years and best faster. It's inevitable.

Who's to say LeBron's numbers wlil stand the test of time? Heck, the guy he now tied for his feat, MJ, last played like 10 years ago...

But I would argue that players of team sports DO stand the test of time, because their numbers, individual and team accomplishments can be measured among athletes that came decades before them.

Fair enough.

BigBlueCrew
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Funny a thread about Lebron James and no Justinnum1

I should make a thread praising Melo and then get out the timer

Jesse2272
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
They should have given it to Melo for not getting out of the first round again.

Ouch

That may change this year

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
lmfao @ ignorant. get your head out your bum.
People rip Lebron for playing with star players instead of sticking with a franchise that failed for years to get him a decent supporting cast, but how many other all-time greats won titles without other all-time greats? Aside from Hakeem in 94 and arguably the 2004 Pistons team, none. Criticizing a guy for playing with other great players and calling him a quitter is completely ignorant, and you're clearly not very knowledgeable about the history of the league.

And how many have done what Bolt did? If that answer is 0 than how is what LeBron did more impressive? If the answer is 1, same thing...
Being the first to do something doesn't necessarily make what you did more impressive than doing what someone else did. I would argue that while sprinting is a classical sport worthy of praise, sprinting requires FAR less skill than basketball, football, baseball, etc. I have no doubt that there are some world class sprinters player professional sports, but who opted to make more money and train to use their speed in another way.

I see what you're getting at, but it's a terrible example for a number of reasons.

1). NASCAR is actually very popular and lots of people "give a crap" about it over other sports where people have won the award, such as:
2). Golf (Tiger)
Swimming (Phelps)

Which shows me that a Sprinter should absolute win the award if what they did was impressive enough, and to me what Bolt did was.
Tiger and Phelps are anomalies, not the norm. What Tiger did completely redefined the game. He took a niche sport and MADE it popular. As for Phelps, I would argue that his accomplishments in 2008 far outweigh what Bolt did this year. He also has more medals than any athlete in the history of the Olympics.

Also, it's worth noting that both of those athletes are American, as is Lebron. ESPN predominantly focuses on American sports. It's only natural than an American athlete would win something like this over a Jamaican athlete if the accomplishments were equally impressive.

Who's to say LeBron's numbers wlil stand the test of time? Heck, the guy he now tied for his feat, MJ, last played like 10 years ago...
There isn't any way to prove it, but MJ's numbers from his prime have lasted for more than a decade and for Lebron to touch MJ, he'll need at least another 5-6 years and a number of team and individual achievements. That's two decades worth of separation. And before MJ, there had never been anyone close to his statistical level of dominance.

ManRam
12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Still don't get how a guy leaving a team in FREE AGENCY is cowardly.

When my two year "contract" is up at my job, I fully plan on going somewhere else where I can work with better people and be more successful. Am I therefore a coward?

Why is it that he is the first player ever to leave in free agency and thus be a coward?

3ballbomber with an utterly horrendous post. Congrats! :clap:

lakersfan01
12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
WELL DESERVED. Stop hating on the King. He's a great teammate and demonstrates sportsmanship. He barked at Mario Chalmers when they were playing the Lakers because Chalmers was going to shoot at the end of the game. The shot clock was going to expire before the game clock and Lebron still told him not to shoot. If that's not sportsmanship, I don't know what is.

3ballbomber
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
People rip Lebron for playing with star players instead of sticking with a franchise that failed for years to get him a decent supporting cast, but how many other all-time greats won titles without other all-time greats? Aside from Hakeem in 94 and arguably the 2004 Pistons team, none. Criticizing a guy for playing with other great players and calling him a quitter is completely ignorant, and you're clearly not very knowledgeable about the history of the league.

please save me this garbage and wipe the fecal matter on the side of your chops.......Besides, bro quitting & short-cutting in his prime aren't the only reason people still regard him as a douche cake. He did plenty throughout his career that put a bad taste in peoples mouths even before the aforementioned actions. One title in a shortened season ain't gone cut it. Sorry, try again.

lakersfan01
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM

When my two year "contract" is up at my job, I fully plan on going somewhere else where I can work with better people and be more successful. Am I therefore a coward?

Why is it that he is the first player ever to leave in free agency and thus be a coward?

I agree 100%. I can't stand the misplaced and unwarranted hatred of Lebron. He's an all around great human being.

I think people are just jealous. I can't stand it when Laker fans say oh if you're a Laker fan then you have to hate Lebron and the Heat. It's completely ridiculous and makes us all look bad.

Maybe they're afraid he might wind up being the ALL TIME GREATEST.

The "Lakers Nation" facebook page was making posts clowning the Heat for having 2 rings, calling it "cute". Pretty nauseating.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM

I actually just put in my two weeks notice at my job to move to a company that will pay me more money, is in a much better position in my industry, where I will have to do less work and where I can work with a friend and former coworker. I suppose I'm a coward, but I'll be a much happier coward. :shrug:

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
you darn cowards!!! how dare you think of your future and what suits you well as an individual?????!!!

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
please save me this garbage and wipe the fecal matter on the side of your chops.......Besides, bro quitting & short-cutting in his prime aren't the only reason people still regard him as a douche cake. He did plenty throughout his career that put a bad taste in peoples mouths even before the aforementioned actions. One title in a shortened season ain't gone cut it. Sorry, try again.

:laugh: Yes, there's poo in my mouth and winning a shortened season totally diminishes his title. Great points. You should be on PTI with awesome takes like that!

valade16
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM

I wasn't criticizing him for what he did, that is an argument for another time, I was simply pointing out that he had a tremendously stacked go of it from a team-standpoint perspective.

Also, who called him a quitter? :confused: Seems to me you're arguing a pre-conceived notion of this argument rather than the ones I'm making...

Being the first to do something doesn't necessarily make what you did more impressive than doing what someone else did. I would argue that while sprinting is a classical sport worthy of praise, sprinting requires FAR less skill than basketball, football, baseball, etc. I have no doubt that there are some world class sprinters player professional sports, but who opted to make more money and train to use their speed in another way.

Tiger and Phelps are anomalies, not the norm. What Tiger did completely redefined the game. He took a niche sport and MADE it popular. As for Phelps, I would argue that his accomplishments in 2008 far outweigh what Bolt did this year. He also has more medals than any athlete in the history of the Olympics.

True enough, but Phelps didn't have the most medals in history back when he won the award, you're using hindsight bias...

Also, it's worth noting that both of those athletes are American, as is Lebron. ESPN predominantly focuses on American sports. It's only natural than an American athlete would win something like this over a Jamaican athlete if the accomplishments were equally impressive.

There isn't any way to prove it, but MJ's numbers from his prime have lasted for more than a decade and for Lebron to touch MJ, he'll need at least another 5-6 years and a number of team and individual achievements. That's two decades worth of separation. And before MJ, there had never been anyone close to his statistical level of dominance.

I'm not going to get into that because it's been beaten to death, but I just wanted to say how I love that you've boiled it down to such a simple idea, completely disregarding the context of his exit, which is what most people were mad at him about...

ManRam
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm not going to get into that because it's been beaten to death, but I just wanted to say how I love that you've boiled it down to such a simple idea, completely disregarding the context of his exit, which is what most people were mad at him about...

Going on TV and announcing you're leaving is not "cowardly". It can be perceived as many other things, but you can't use that to say he is a coward.

No context is needed really, if we're discussing cowardliness.

mightybosstone
12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I wasn't criticizing him for what he did, that is an argument for another time, I was simply pointing out that he had a tremendously stacked go of it from a team-standpoint perspective.

Also, who called him a quitter? Seems to me you're arguing a pre-conceived notion of this argument rather than the ones I'm making...
Lol. Dude, reread my post. That comment was directed toward another poster.

True enough, but Phelps didn't have the most medals in history back when he won the award, you're using hindsight bias...
No, but I believe he won the most gold medals ever in a single Olympic games. That's pretty amazing.

Also, not to nitpick, but you've gotta learn how to break up quotes, because it's really hard to respond to your posts. If you want to respond to a specific part of a post, just click the little quote symbol on the bar above the text box. And if you want to end a quote early to address the first part of a post, just add [/quote] to that portion.

PleaseBeNice
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
My boy Lbeezy!

PleaseBeNice
12-03-2012, 07:41 PM

K. Good thing LeBron doesnt care what you think, nor know of you.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 07:46 PM

in a voting award, um, yes.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 07:47 PM

It boggles my mind honestly. HE FULFILLED HIS CONTRACT, and was basically unemployed. He had the right to do what so many players have done over the past number of decades, and sign with whatever team he wanted.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM

did you read the article?

"Did I think an award like this was possible two years ago?" James says. "No, I did not. I thought I would be helping a lot of kids and raise $3 million by going on TV and saying, 'Hey, I want to play for the Miami Heat.' But it affected far more people than I imagined. I know it wasn't on the level of an injury or an addiction, but it was something I had to recover from. I had to become a better person, a better player, a better father, a better friend, a better mentor and a better leader. I've changed, and I think people have started to understand who I really am."

He is fully aware that it was a mistake. He actually had good intentions, but was naive, and surrounded by the wrong people. You don't think at this point he is past all that? Or is it you, and some other fans that can't get over it?

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I think LeBron could cure cancer and solve world hunger in the same day and people would hate him.

Ebbs
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone who still hasn't forgiven LeBron for "the decision" clearly hasnt paid attention to the NBA over the past 3 years. Dwight is way easier to hate at this point.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Usain Bolt's feat is like a dynasty for sprinting. His athletic feats this year are better than Lebron's straight up.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM

What??? What he achieved was way more historical than LeBron.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
What??? What he achieved was way more historical than LeBron.

I get the Bolt arguments, they simply don't stack up for me. Bolt competed for a couple of weeks, LeBron for months to earn this.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

I don't know about that argument, so he could win 6 medals and break all the world records in track and it won't mean jack?

How do you know he doesn't have pressure? Bolt needs to sustain success for endorsements. His time-span to make money is way shorter than LeBron's. MJ is still milking money nowadays, Carl Lewis might get a free meal and drinks wherever he goes.

How do we know how much pressure he has in Jamaica? I personally don't know, but sprinting is a religion there just as soccer in Brazil and Football in America.

It wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would win the 100m sprint. Yohan Blake was a real challenger.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't know about that argument, so he could win 6 medals and break all the world records in track and it won't mean jack?

How do you know he doesn't have pressure? Bolt needs to sustain success for endorsements. His time-span to make money is way shorter than LeBron's. MJ is still milking money nowadays, Carl Lewis might get a free meal and drinks wherever he goes.

How do we know how much pressure he has in Jamaica? I personally don't know, but sprinting is a religion there just as soccer in Brazil and Football in America.

there is no way on earth any athlete had the scrutiny and pressure LeBron did in 2011-12'.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
there is no way on earth any athlete had the scrutiny and pressure LeBron did in 2011-12'.

Pressure is subjective to how the individual handles it. A genuine Zen master is never pressured. Some athletes live for the moment, they may not be as physically gifted or talented as James, but some people can block out outside noise better than others.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Pressure is subjective to how the individual handles it. A genuine Zen master is never pressured.

That doesn't matter. What matters is the voters felt that way obviously. That a year of attrition after all the negativity towards LeBron warranted the award, after he won MVP, Finals MVP, a championship, and a gold medal in a 10 month period.

bucketss
12-03-2012, 08:17 PM

one bullet left.. you and lebron alone in a back alley way would you pull the trigger???

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
That doesn't matter. What matters is the voters felt that way obviously. That a year of attrition after all the negativity towards LeBron warranted the award, after he won MVP, Finals MVP, a championship, and a gold medal in a 10 month period.

Well if he done more off the court, I'll give him that but I firmly believe what Bolt has done is more difficult even if you only give him credit for a few weeks. You know track runs for nearly half a year indoor and outdoor.

Corey
12-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I think he's completely deserving, and I hate the guy. Can't really complain about this one.

Big Zo
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM

See, the thing is... You're from Australia, which means you probably spend your days sniffing koala butts, and sucking dingo balls, so your opinion doesn't really matter. :)

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
i think they all have remarkable resumes, but im fine with any choice. im just glad they chose someone that plays one of my favorite sports.

2000 Tiger Woods
2001 Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson
2002 Lance Armstrong Cycling
2003 David Robinson, Tim Duncan
2004 Boston Red Sox (the whole team lol)
2005 Tom Brady
2006 Dwyane Wade
2007 Brett Favre
2008 Michael Phelps
2009 Derek Jeter
2010 Drew Brees
2011 Mike Krzyzewski
2012 LeBron James

crazy how 4 NBA players have been named since the 2000s. phenomenal list.

If Bolt was American, he'd probably have more consideration. I don't see any foreigners on the list.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Olympic sprinting has been around for over 100 years and no one has ever repeated as 100m & 200m champ. So what Bolt achieved does stand out historically. What he did was a first/last time feat.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Well if he done more off the court, I'll give him that but I firmly believe what Bolt has done is more difficult even if you only give him credit for a few weeks. You know track runs for nearly half a year indoor and outdoor.

sure I do, but track is not a sport that is followed like basketball. That weighs in honestly, whether you agree or not.

Look, I was good with Phelps winning it 4 years ago, but LeBron just put up one of the best individual seasons in the history of the NBA. On top of that, it came on the heels of media bashing, scrutiny, fans hating him, and was his first chip. Bolt had no chance at this.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 08:31 PM
If Bolt was American, he'd probably have more consideration. I don't see any foreigners on the list.

maybe because its an american based company/media outlet deciding this...

Look, we get it. Some of you want Bolt, or whomever else. Not happening for this specific award.

3ballbomber
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
one bullet left.. you and lebron alone in a back alley way would you pull the trigger???
right between the eyes - BANG!

lol, i wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy, wich he is not. Just because i disagree w/ somebody's character & actions it doesn't make me a brute who wishes harm on that person.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
wow so people are trying to compare accomplishments from a 10 second event/sport to a full 48 min sport?

how is this even up for debate? do you have any idea what kind of skill level needs to be used to not only play a full season but go the distance, win finals mvp, put 2 performances tht havent been seen in 45-25 years, while dominating and going 30 10 5 for the full playoffs, while also winning Gold for the US basketball team and come through for the US during Lithuania and Spain?

Basketball requires more from the body than a 10-20 second sprint. I was participating in track in high school, and i knew the difference between playing football/basketball/baseball over track and field. this isnt hurdling, this is a straight on sprint. 10 seconds.

anyways, what usain bolt did was amazing, but basketball requires much more skill imo, so therefore this was between LeBron and Miguel Cabrera. end of discusson.

as i said before i could care less who won, but reading some of these posts praising bolt is just silly.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
maybe because its an american based company/media outlet deciding this...

Look, we get it. Some of you want Bolt, or whomever else. Not happening for this specific award.

That's fine. Once I saw Bolt on the list I couldn't help but defend his case considering all the comment claiming LBJ was a no brainer for the award. But we all get riled up in here once in a while :cool:

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
these are the top 3 playoff performances in NBA history imo:

1. LeBron- 30 points/ 10 rebounds/ 6 assists
2. Shaq- 31 points/ 15 rebounds/ 3 assists
3. jordan- 31 points/ 6 rebounds/ 8 assists

Heediot
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
wow so people are trying to compare accomplishments from a 10 second event/sport to a full 48 min sport?

how is this even up for debate? do you have any idea what kind of skill level needs to be used to not only play a full season but go the distance, win finals mvp, put 2 performances tht havent been seen in 45-25 years, while dominating and going 30 10 5 for the full playoffs, while also winning Gold for the US basketball team and come through for the US during Lithuania and Spain?

Basketball requires more from the body than a 10-20 second sprint. I was participating in track in high school, and i knew the difference between playing football/basketball/baseball over track and field. this isnt hurdling, this is a straight on sprint. 10 seconds.

anyways, what usain bolt did was amazing, but basketball requires much more skill imo, so therefore this was between LeBron and Miguel Cabrera. end of discusson.

as i said before i could care less who won, but reading some of these posts praising bolt is just silly.

Wow. You know how hard people train just for that ten second sprint? I respect all sports professionals, because they all train hard, especially the best of the best regardless of sport. I'm not going to say one is better or more difficult than the other, it's way more complicated then what you are claiming.

mngopher35
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Totally deserved, other may have different preferences/opinions which is fine but I don't see how they choose anyone but lebron here. After being scrutinized for 2 years and delivering an MVP, FMVP (with some really great performances in the playoffs) and gold medal, he was the obvious choice to me.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
For me this is a toughy. I'm a Trini (Trinidadian) and Bolt is a Jamaican and for that reason (being Caribbean folks) I hold a soft spot for him and feel a little indifferent towards this topic. Usain highlighted the biggest stage on the biggest stage for us here in the Western Hemisphere (where SI's main focus lies) and absolutely dominated like probably never seen before (given the competition he was up against). I think this year Bolt cemented himself in the minds of most as the best ever at what he does. LeBron wasn't able to do such and IMO Bolt's gold medals are more impressive than LeBron's (for obvious reason).

I wonder however if losing to Yohan Blake in the Jamaican Olympic Trials finals in both the 100 and 200 hurt his cause in any way. What do you guys think?

Honestly I would have liked to see Usain be given the award but I understand the reasoning behind giving it to LeBron, he was indeed deserving but so was Usain.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Honestly one of the most idiotic things I have ever read in my life and trust me here on PSD I have read some IDIOTIC things.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Wow. You know how hard people train just for that ten second sprint? I respect all sports professionals, because they all train hard, especially the best of the best regardless of sport. I'm not going to say one is better or more difficult than the other, it's way more complicated then what you are claiming.

Yes I do. They work on acceleration, and speed.
While basketball players work on that as well as other attributes just look at any basketball training video every part of a human body including mentally with play calling.

Dude u can't even compare physical sports compared to track events lol it's not even a debate.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Honestly one of the most idiotic things I have ever read in my life and trust me here on PSD I have read some IDIOTIC things.

Lol wanna elaborate or just resort to name calling?

Heediot
12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
While basketball players work on that as well as other attributes just look at any basketball training video every part of a human body including mentally with play calling.

Dude u can't even compare physical sports compared to track events lol it's not even a debate.

Let's just give the award to the Olympic decathlete then! They have to train for ten different events. Sprinting, endurance, strength, flexibilty. They have to work on running, throwing, jumping, etc....

Hawkeye15
12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
That's fine. Once I saw Bolt on the list I couldn't help but defend his case considering all the comment claiming LBJ was a no brainer for the award. But we all get riled up in here once in a while :cool:

I have no problem with people defending Bolt. Honestly.

AIRMAR72
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Congrats to bron but the WORLD will never see another track beast like bolt the man is unreal bless with bionic SPEED THAT NO one has ever seen

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Let's just give the award to the Olympic decathlete then! They have to train for ten different events. Sprinting, endurance, strength, flexibilty. They have to work on running, throwing, jumping, etc....

....sorry but that's not one of the choices though.

Based I choices, and domination for the year, I feel usain bolt's accomplishment were record setting, but lebron's and Miguel cabrera's have the slight edge because of their performances for a full season (182 baseball) and however many days for lebron's.

Yes an argument can be made that those players have had more games or chances to improve their stats or accomplishments, but that still doesn't change the fact that this race IMO was between lebron and cabrera.

If usain got it, I wouldn't mind, I'm just telling you my opinion about it.

Sneaky
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Congrats to Bron Bron!

Heediot
12-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Based I choices, and domination for the year, I feel usain bolt's accomplishment were record setting, but lebron's and Miguel cabrera's have the slight edge because of their performances for a full season (182 baseball) and however many days for lebron's.

Yes an argument can be made that those players have had more games or chances to improve their stats or accomplishments, but that still doesn't change the fact that this race IMO was between lebron and cabrera.

The point is your logic is flawed and you make too much assumptions. Ask an Olympic sprinter for his training video and then judge him/her. This is not high school bro. People are paid to perform at world class levels both James and Bolt.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Lol wanna elaborate or just resort to name calling?

Didn't call anyone any names. Just stated what was fact.

Running at your fastest for 100 or 200 metres over the span of how many years your career lasts takes A LOT out of you. Sprinters are said to peak at 26 (Bolt is 27) and their prime is more or less over at 29-30. There is a reason why sprinters like Bolt, Gay, Bailey, Blake, Gatlin etc save their best runs for the for the semi finals and finals. It isn't because they can just turn it up whenever they want its because they NEED to maximize of their energy. It's medically proven that its against a sprinters best interest to attempt to run his fastest every time he goes onto the track as it is GOING to shorten your career. Athlete's are trained from a tender age to take part in track and field, they don't just one Sunday morning decide to go for a jog and become Olympians. Saying idiotic things like someone who takes part in a 48 minute sport is more impressive than someone who runs for 10 seconds is one of the most foolish things I have ever read in my life.

Michael Clarke plays cricket for 5 days for 7 hours a day. Which is 35 hours. He also plays 1 Day matches and 20/20 matches which are like half a day. He became the first player in the history of cricket this season to score at least 4 double centuries in a calender year, one of which was an undefeated triple century. Now tell me someone who plays as many HOURS not minutes as a cricketer should be given first second and third preference over someone who just plays 48 minutes every other night right. :rolleyes:

By you notion Michael Clarke of Australia or Chris Gayle of the West Indies by way of Jamaica should be SI's Sportsman of the year and NOT LeBron James.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:18 PM
The point is your logic is flawed and you make too much assumptions. Ask an Olympic sprinter for his training video and then judge him/her. This is not high school bro. People are paid to perform at world class levels both James and Bolt.

Noone's denying that. I've seen Olympic training videos, and they work on their acceleration a lot.
Look again i don't mind if anyone wins cos that is an Impressive list, but you're saying as if track and field requires more than speed and quickness to train, besides the mental aspect of running every day and eating healthy, there really is nothing else to work or train on..

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

:pity:

Heediot
12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Noone's denying that. I've seen Olympic training videos, and they work on their acceleration a lot.
Look again i don't mind if anyone wins cos that is an Impressive list, but you're saying as if track and field requires more than speed and quickness to train, besides the mental aspect of running every day and eating healthy, there really is nothing else to work or train on..

I'm not saying anything, I respect all forms of training and preparation and that's that. It's more complicated then your making it out to be.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm not saying anything, I respect all forms of training and preparation and that's that. It's more complicated then your making it out to be.

Complicated is an understatement. Saying sprinter's work on their acceleration a lot is like saying a basketballer works on their shooting a lot. Of course they work on them both a lot that's basic common sense, it however is not the only thing they work on.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Didn't call anyone any names. Just stated what was fact.

1. What YOU call idiotic isnt fact, it's your opinion.
2. calling my comment "one of the most idiotic things you've seen" clearly means you are attacking my knowledge of sports in general.

Running at your fastest for 100 or 200 metres over the span of how many years your career lasts takes A LOT out of you. Sprinters are said to peak at 26 (Bolt is 27) and their prime is more or less over at 29-30. There is a reason why sprinters like Bolt, Gay, Bailey, Blake, Gatlin etc save their best runs for the for the semi finals and finals. It isn't because they can just turn it up whenever they want its because they NEED to maximize of their energy. It's medically proven that its against a sprinters best interest to attempt to run his fastest every time he goes onto the track as it is GOING to shorten your career. Athlete's are trained from a tender age to take part in track and field, they don't just one Sunday morning decide to go for a jog and become Olympians.

Yes its called human nature, as you age your physical attributes decline. what does this have anythin to do with my statement?

Saying idiotic things like someone who takes part in a 48 minute sport is more impressive than someone who runs for 10 seconds is one of the most foolish things I have ever read in my life.
did you even read my full paragraph or just stopped after the first line? i explained why i felt that way because to train for basketball is more harder and requires more from the body than training for sprint.
for more info either use google or check these websites out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/sports/top-10-hardest-sports_10.html

Michael Clarke plays cricket for 5 days for 7 hours a day. Which is 35 hours. He also plays 1 Day matches and 20/20 matches which are like half a day. He became the first player in the history of cricket this season to score at least 4 double centuries in a calender year, one of which was an undefeated triple century. Now tell me someone who plays as many HOURS not minutes as a cricketer should be given first second and third preference over someone who just plays 48 minutes every other night right. :rolleyes:

did he break sachin tendulkars or brain lara's record? no. pls stick to the nominees: Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin starred at the London Olympics, Miguel Cabrera became baseball's first Triple Crown winner in 45 years and Roger Federer.

By you notion Michael Clarke of Australia or Chris Gayle of the West Indies by way of Jamaica should be SI's Sportsman of the year and NOT LeBron James.

no, by my notion, based on DOMINANCE of the sport, hardness of sport, skill level of sport and historical relevance it would be between miguel cabrera and lebron james. simple as that.

i get it youre a little biased towards bolt but theres nothin to argue here, basketball requires more skill than sprinting.

what lebron did in the playoffs, heck for the full 2011-2012 through adversity is incomparable. dude even that mini baseball league in chicago poked fun at lebron after last years 2011 finals calling it the "lebron ceremony" where they were presented with no rings.

so based off of his response to adversity, his off court charity in akron with the educational program, AND his on court dominance, this is why I feel its not even close.

but if they went with someone else, I wouldnt get emotional over it like how some people are..

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM

im sure it is, but if youre comparing two sports, basketball requires more imo.. if im wrong, pls explain

Heediot
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
We can all agree to disagree about the award, both are deserving from their own perspectives but........

Let's just close this threat before Im_in_Mia_bish embarrasses himself any further.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
We can all agree to disagree about the award, both are deserving from their own perspectives but........

Let's just close this threat before Im_in_Mia_bish embarrasses himself any further.

there's nothin to be embarrassed about, we are having a discussion, and if im wrong, i would like to know why with links and proof so i can help expand my knowledge on sports.

noone knows everything there is to know about sports, and im still waiting for some proper explanation..

Heediot
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
im sure it is, but if youre comparing two sports, basketball requires more imo.. if im wrong, pls explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year

From your criteria who knows how many people should be stripped of their award?

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year

From your criteria let's take away the award from about 10-15 percent of the recipients.

...who were the other nominees along with their accomplishments for that year?

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Clearly you guys arent getting the criteria for this award.

here, an explanation from them.

Annually, the magazine presents the Sportsman of the Year award to the transcendent athlete, coach or team who by virtue of their superior athletic achievement and comportment took us all to a higher place. The award debuted in 1954, and in describing the feats of the first Sportsman, Roger Bannister, the editors introduced the award’s guiding principle: “While the victory may have been his, it is not for the victory alone that he is honored. Rather, it is for the quality of his effort and manner of his striving.”

“This year there was an endless list of high-quality possibilities,” said Time Inc. Sports Group Editor Paul Fichtenbaum. “But LeBron’s stirring accomplishments on and off the court were impossible to ignore. He showed tremendous heart during times of adversity, and he delivered with relentless determination. Equally as impressive, although much less heralded, was his development of a hands-on educational program in an Akron, Ohio, school district which will have a profound and long-lasting impact on its students. His accomplishments embody the finest traditions of this award.”

Heediot
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
...who were the other nominees along with their accomplishments for that year?

Email SI and ask.

Heediot
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Clearly you guys arent getting the criteria for this award.

here, an explanation from them.

Lol. It's not about James and Bolt anymore. We can all agree to disagree about the award. Let's say I even concede the award to James, it doesn't take away from your ignorance about a track star not deserving to win.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
1. What YOU call idiotic isnt fact, it's your opinion.
2. calling my comment "one of the most idiotic things you've seen" clearly means you are attacking my knowledge of sports in general.

Yes its called human nature, as you age your physical attributes decline. what does this have anythin to do with my statement?

You clearly lack the basic ability to comprehend.

did you even read my full paragraph or just stopped after the first line? i explained why i felt that way because to train for basketball is more harder and requires more from the body than training for sprint.

And that's nothing more than a GENERALIZATION. Who is to say that sprinter X doesn't have a more rigorous regimen and baller Y?

did he break sachin tendulkars or brain lara's record? no. pls stick to the nominees: Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin starred at the London Olympics, Miguel Cabrera became baseball's first Triple Crown winner in 45 years and Roger Federer.

How on earth is he going to break Sachin's record in a single year? He had an opportunity to break Lara's record but he didn't go for it. He also set a record of his own.

Let us not though. The premise of your argument is that BBall requires a greater skill set and is longer than a sprint. Well I can make that very same argument for other sports as well.

no, by my notion, based on DOMINANCE of the sport, hardness of sport, skill level of sport and historical relevance it would be between miguel cabrera and lebron james. simple as that.

And that would basically prove that you lack understanding of the other sports and athletes accomplishments.

i get it youre a little biased towards bolt but theres nothin to argue here, basketball requires more skill than sprinting.

I'm more biased to basketball the sport than I am to track but for one to say something as idiotic as what you said earlier you had to be pointed out.

what lebron did in the playoffs, heck for the full 2011-2012 through adversity is incomparable. heck that mini baseball league in chicago poked fun at lebron after last years 2011 finals calling it the "lebron ceremony" where they were presented with no rings.

What Usain Bolt this past year is also incomparable.

so based off of his response to adversity, his off court charity in akron with the educational program, AND his on court dominance, this is why I feel its not even close.

Bolt's foundation off the track has done quite a lot for not only the sport but for inner city youth in Jamaica and has branches that extend to other Caribbean territories and Europe as well. Bolt has had to deal with injuries, he has dominated the track in more ways than any other before him and its was on the biggest and most viewed sporting stage on this side of the earth.

but if they went with someone else, I wouldnt get emotional over it like how some people are..

Like I said before you aren't comprehending. I have no beef with choosing LeBron over Bolt. My beef was your flat out idiotic statement. That's all. If I was arguing for Bolt why on earth would I bring up cricketers?

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Lol. It's not about James and Bolt anymore. We can all agree to disagree about the award. Let's say I even concede the award to James, it doesn't take away from your ignorance about a track star not deserving to win.

..what? i never said a track star was not deserving of winning it.. i was comparing two sports and what skill level is used between them. wtf, did you not read in my posts where I said i wouldnt mind if usain got it, but i understand why lebron got it?

:confused: where the heck do you get your assumptions from?

Heediot
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
..what? i never said a track star was not deserving of winning it.. i was comparing two sports and what skill level is used between them. wtf, did you not read in my posts where I said i wouldnt mind if usain got it, but i understand why lebron got it?

:confused: where the heck do you get your assumptions from?

There.

What your saying here is Usain shouldn't even be considered because his sport shouldn't qualify, yet they have given the award to other track stars and even a horse race jockey, swimmers, sprint skaters, cyclists., etc...

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
You clearly lack the basic ability to comprehend.

no I comprehend just fine, thanks.

And that's nothing more than a GENERALIZATION. Who is to say that sprinter X doesn't have a more rigorous regimen and baller Y?

...wow these are professional atheletes who are the best in their respective sport. this isnt about their training, but rather about what skill level their sport requires from them..

how is this hard to comprehend?:confused: and apparently im the one with the comprehension problem.

How on earth is he going to break Sachin's record in a single year? He had an opportunity to break Lara's record but he didn't go for it. He also set a record of his own.

no. what achievement you mentioned is like someone saying oh wade had 35 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks with no turnovers, no one ever did that in the history of the NBA, he has to be named SI's sportsman of the year.

Let us not though. The premise of your argument is that BBall requires a greater skill set and is longer than a sprint. Well I can make that very same argument for other sports as well.

wtf, my argument was that bball required more physical and mental than sprint, this isnt about any other sport because those players arent on the ballot.

However lets argue for arguments sake, by getting a half century do you win an accolade? honestly youre argument has no weight. did he win most valuable cricketer or whatever award is given out during the world tournament? no West indies beat sri lank in the test tourny, and there was no other major tournament.

I'm more biased to basketball the sport than I am to track but for one to say something as idiotic as what you said earlier you had to be pointed out.

wow.. and you think what you typed made any sense? oh ok..

What Usain Bolt this past year is also incomparable.

maybe you should read SI's reason as to why they chose lebron.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 10:19 PM
There.

What your saying here is Usain shouldn't even be considered because his sport shouldn't qualify, yet they have given the award to other track stars and even a horse race jockey, swimmers, sprint skaters, cyclists., etc...

if you read the last sentence, it would have explained why I felt that way.
and if you read my other posts, i said i wouldnt mind if he had won lol

Heediot
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
if you read the last sentence, it would have explained why I felt that way.
and if you read my other posts, i said i wouldnt mind if he had won lol

You can't even understand your own posts and implications. I'm done with this discussion.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
oh ok.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Wasn't my first choice but he deserves it.

torocan
12-03-2012, 10:45 PM
there's nothin to be embarrassed about, we are having a discussion, and if im wrong, i would like to know why with links and proof so i can help expand my knowledge on sports.

noone knows everything there is to know about sports, and im still waiting for some proper explanation..

Since you asked, the world of Olympic Class track and field athletes is nothing like it was 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

It takes extremely regimented training, performance analysis, diet management, a variety of training methods and regimens, etc, etc. In other words, it takes an entire Team to build ONE world class track and field athlete.

For elite athletes, traditional training is no longer enough. To go from great to the best in the world, itís now essential to optimize every bit of performance, even if the gain is just a hundredth of a second. So in addition to relying on their coaches and teammates, they work with biomechanists, physiologists, psychologists, nutritionists, strength coaches, recovery experts, and statistical analysts. Rather than just eating their Wheaties like Bruce Jenner, they guzzle beet juice before a workout, because their team of nutritionists has determined that the nitrates it contains can improve aerobic exercise performance by as much as 2 percent. They donít just rub Bengay on tired muscles, they follow elaborate hydrotherapy regimens to limit muscle damage and reduce soreness by 16 percent. And instead of pounding out hour after hour of training, they sometimes do a targeted workout of insanely high intensity, approved by their physiologists, which can give them better results in as little as four minutes.

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/06/ff_superhumans/all/

This isn't your father's Track and Field.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
...wow these are professional atheletes who are the best in their respective sport. this isnt about their training, but rather about what skill level their sport requires from them..

how is this hard to comprehend?:confused: and apparently im the one with the comprehension problem.

First step is admitting. You clearly haven't taken that first step. You're basically saying a sprinter is less skilled than a basketball player so as a result a sprinter should never win over a baller. Cool. That's a poor argument when you're talking about the elite of the elite in the respective sports. LeBron is less skilled than Hershel Walker then? Bolt is less skilled than Andrew Flintoff?

You seem as if you are clueless as to why you choose LeBron. One minute it's because how long a basketball game lasts as compared to a sprint, the other its about how much skill the sport requires the next its because of how long his season is, what next?

no. what achievement you mentioned is like someone saying oh wade had 35 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks with no turnovers, no one ever did that in the history of the NBA, he has to be named SI's sportsman of the year.

No actually its more like someone scoring 60 points in a game 10 times in an 82 game season. That's a way better comparison.

wtf, my argument was that bball required more physical and mental than sprint, this isnt about any other sport because those players arent on the ballot.

Cool now let's add mental to your list.

However lets argue for arguments sake, by getting a half century do you win an accolade?

There is a 150 run difference between a half century and a double century dude.

honestly youre argument has no weight.

Coming from you that's a complement

did he win most valuable cricketer or whatever award is given out during the world tournament?

Actually no. There are different cricketing formats one of which he doesn't take part in in order to preserve his body for the longer form of the game. Also he just finished his last test match yesterday and the cricket year still isn't over. The cricketer of the year award is given out in September of every year he did a lot of his damage after that. Just like LeBron did a lot of his damage after May.

no West indies beat sri lank in the test tourny, and there was no other major tournament.

There is no test tourny in cricket :confused: West Indies won the 20/20 World Cup which Michael Clarke didn't take part in.

Let's go by your reasoning.

Duration of game: Check! 5 days > 48 minutes
Skill: This is purely based on opinion so we really can't quantify this though I can easily see why it would swing in the direction of cricket
Season: Check! on going all over the world throughout the year with no off season and many different formats of the game at many different levels.
Mental: Check! It is said that of all the major sports in the world no other sport requires more mental than cricket.
Physical: While cricket isn't a contact sport try getting hit with a leather ball in the ribs at 90 mph see how it feels. Its a sport that requires great endurance when playing at the highest level however.

wow.. and you think what you typed made any sense? oh ok..

Clear typo. I am a basketball fan more than one of track and field that however doesn't mean I don't have an appreciation for what those athletes do to get where they're at. In terms of sports my bias lies with Basketball.

maybe you should read SI's reason as to why they chose lebron.

Maybe you should learn to read and comprehend. Apparently you yourself don't understand SI's reasoning. If you did you would not have been saying the stuff you have in this thread.

Swashcuff
12-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Since you asked, the world of Olympic Class track and field athletes is nothing like it was 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

It takes extremely regimented training, performance analysis, diet management, a variety of training methods and regimens, etc, etc. In other words, it takes an entire Team to build ONE world class track and field athlete.

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/06/ff_superhumans/all/

This isn't your father's Track and Field.

But but but but but I thought they just do a bunch of acceleration training :shrug:

FreakaNashur
12-03-2012, 11:59 PM

6 Olympic gold medals.

Nuff said.the nominees only count for 2012

michael phelps didnt win all his medals in one year

Marlin234
12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Damn lebron just keep racking up accolades. And what's even better is that haters just don't know what to say anymore.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Damn lebron just keep racking up accolades. And what's even better is that haters just don't know what to say anymore.

What is wrong with the mentality of Heat fans?

The guy just got a prestigious award, but yet, you take more emotional pleasure and reward in what the haters will think and how they'll react as opposed to applauding and praising and placing your emotional happiness into the actual happy moment at hand and that's LeBron winning this honor.

That is really really sad. :pity:

mightybosstone
12-04-2012, 11:39 AM

The guy just got a prestigious award, but yet, you take more emotional pleasure and reward in what the haters will think and how they'll react as opposed to applauding and praising and placing your emotional happiness into the actual happy moment at hand and that's LeBron winning this honor.

Have you read through some of the ridiculous "hater" posts in this thread? The dude's comment was well founded, and I am not even a Heat fan.

mlisica19
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Yea not Jonathan Quick. Dont nominate the quiet family man who had a ridiculous year for a goalie as he was the primary reason for his team making the playoffs and winning the cities first Stanley Cup.

smuffins353
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
the illuminati came through for him this year.

ghettosean
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Kobe and his multiple rings say hi :)

Even David Stern admitted Kobe is the closest thing to MJ since he was gone :facepalm:

If Lebron decides to join the dunk contest and win and get a few more rings I might agree with you but for now like most people I'll go Kobe.

TheIlladelph16
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM

To a very slight degree you are correct in that basketball is harder to train your body. The way you are phrasing it though makes it seem like its not even a question. Running events are hard as **** to train for especially at a the level Bolt is at. Even if you're only a sprinter, you are forced to train as if you are a distance runner a lot of the time. I played basketball in HS and did Track throughout HS into College, so while I'm not a world class athlete here, I do have experience with both sports. From a pure cardio standpoint, the workouts that basketball players do are not even close to as hard as the ones Sprinters have to do on a daily basis.

Personally, I would have voted for Lebron as well, but Bolt had just as much of a claim to the award as him.

ghettosean
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Yea not Jonathan Quick. Dont nominate the quiet family man who had a ridiculous year for a goalie as he was the primary reason for his team making the playoffs and winning the cities first Stanley Cup.
Yup that about sums that up ;)

Most people in here don't watch hockey but J.Q should be the man on that cover for sure.

BklynKnicks3
12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I hate that lebron commercial that make shim seem like he one of us. Mad fake go get a thicker headband coward

justinnum1
12-04-2012, 12:47 PM
he mad

valade16
12-04-2012, 02:01 PM

So the amount of time required to play the sport is the determining factor? So Soccer is more impressive than basketball because it's longer?..

Regardless of a sprint being for 10 seconds, the reason it is such a short time is because he can run it that fast, he can do something nobody else can do; run that fast.

I wonder however if losing to Yohan Blake in the Jamaican Olympic Trials finals in both the 100 and 200 hurt his cause in any way. What do you guys think?

I don't think it would've mattered at all.

I played basketball in HS and it was loads easier than running cross-country. Didn't take less skill, just far less energy. Honestly, between Basketball and Football Football is 10x harder hands down than Basketball, so why shouldn't the list be littered with Football players over Bball ones?

sammyvine
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
exactly. My last post sums it up. We care about Bolt, and that sport for a couple of weeks, every 4 years. LeBron has been scrutinized and criticized like no other athlete. The story of him breaking through and shutting up all the critics is far more compelling.

He brought most of it on himself though.

People act like he was the perfect role model and he was just hated for the sake of hating. If he left Cleveland the way Garnett left Minnosta, then he would never have gotten the hate. He did nothing wrong in leaving the Cavs, in-fact it was the right thing to do imo.

It was the way he went on which rubbed people the wrong way.

And before you say it, i am not a Lakers or Kobe fan.

Big Zo
12-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I hate that lebron commercial that make shim seem like he one of us. Mad fake go get a thicker headband coward

So is he out of the first round yet? Lol

sammyvine
12-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Why do HEAT fans get to touchy?

I bet most of these 'fans' were not even Heat fans before 2010.

justinnum1
12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

:laugh2:

Big Zo
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM

I asked a question. Seems you're the one getting touchy. ;)

TheIlladelph16
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

When the statement is directed at BKLYNKNICKS PSD's resident nutjob, its simply a jab at the guy not being touchy.

Marlin234
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM

I see what you did there... That reverse psychology isnt going to work on me pal but good try, and if im not mistaken your hate for the HEAT has been displayed countless times on these forums. So go try that kiddie **** elsewhere.

JJ_JKidd
12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
the cover photo looks pretty good, check out the story on ESPN or SI's website:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8705003/lebron-james-chosen-si-sportsman-year

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/sportsman/12/02/lebron-james-2012-sportsman/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a4

thoughts?

Well deserved, NBA Champ, Oly Champ etc