PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sign Napoli, 3 years $39M

Dark Donnie
12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Mike Napoli - C - Rangers WEEI.com's Rob Bradford reports that the Red Sox are "closing in on an agreement" with Mike Napoli.

The deal is believed to be for three years. Napoli slugged a total of 54 home runs and tallied a total of 131 RBI over his last two seasons with the Rangers, and should add a nice element of power to the heart of the Red Sox order. He is expected to start at first base for Boston.

Per WEEI.Com

JonHeymanCBS - Napoli has deal with red sox, 3 yrs, $39M

Ktulu
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Heh, I kinda knew he was gonna sign with them

Towelie
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
He will crush at Fenway! He's done it his whole career against us.

OaklandFan75
12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah, he'll be good for Boston

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Mehh, I guess it is an upgrade, but they better hope he produces like he did in 2011 as opposed to 2012. Now all the red Sox need is to trade Lester, Lackey and Buckholz and then get a new rotation and they'll be good.

If I were them I'd do a mini blow up and trade Pedroia (I know, he is the captain and a fan fav) and their starters. They could use the new prosopects to pick up younger talent in a year or two.

They have a lot of question marks and I don't know if signing Napoli to a three eyar deal is what they need. They need time.

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
appears to be a deal:

via mlbtraderumors.com

Mike Napoli, Red Sox Agree To Terms
By Luke Adams [December 3 at 10:10am CST]
The Red Sox have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with Mike Napoli, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). WEEI.com's Rob Bradford was the first to report that the two sides were closing in on a deal.

Financial details of the deal aren't known yet, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tweets that Boston likely paid a larger annual salary to get a three-year contract done, rather than going to four years for Napoli.

Napoli had a down year by his standards for the Rangers in 2012, hitting .227/.343/.469. However, he has a career .863 OPS, and is one season removed from a .320/.414/.631 line. While Boston likely doesn't expect him to produce at that level again, the team will make him its primary first base option, according to Bradford. Cafardo tweets that the 31-year-old will also catch occasionally for the Sox.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#hgdXGLTVL4eYZCpO.99

Towelie
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Mike Napoli has 1.107 career OPS in Fenway, in 73 plate appearances.

Towelie
12-03-2012, 12:18 PM

OaklandFan75
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM

That's less money than I thought he'd get.

Ill21
12-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Not bad i guess. He had an off year but the year before that he was good

MetsFanatic19
12-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Not very surprising. 3/39 is very fair for both in my opinion.

pebloemer
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Good signing for Red Sox.

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Good signing for Red Sox.

We will see. Too bad he can't catch otherwise it would be so much better. Better hope he reverts to form because nobiody wants a 1B that hits 25 homers and hits .220

Bo Sox Fan
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
We will see. Too bad he can't catch otherwise it would be so much better. Better hope he reverts to form because nobiody wants a 1B that hits 25 homers and hits .220

Awe poor little guy, you mad?

Tmath
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Sox are definitely going for power over speed.

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM

haha why would I be mad? I'm just saying he needs to rebound to be worth the contract. If he hits like he hit last year, you might as well sign Carlos Pena for $38 million less and 2 fewer years :shrug:

Not to mention Carlos Pena is pretty darn good with the glove at 1B.

Green_Monster
12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
haha why would I be mad? I'm just saying he needs to rebound to be worth the contract. If he hits like he hit last year, you might as well sign Carlos Pena for $38 million less and 2 fewer years :shrug:

Not to mention Carlos Pena is pretty darn good with the glove at 1B.

Pena would not sign for $1M. :laugh2:

Anyway, good signing. Napoli will play 1st, and maybe catch once in a while.

keymax
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
One question though:
Why was Texas so content in letting him leave? They could use a 1B/C and occasional DH.
They don't want Soto to catch, do they?

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Pena would not sign for $1M. :laugh2:

Anyway, good signing. Napoli will play 1st, and maybe catch once in a while.

ok fine, he made 7,125,000 last year and hit 19 dingers and 61 rbi while batting under the mendoza line. So lets say $4 mill? Is that fair? So 35 mill less. Either way, he just needs to revert to 2011 form and he may very well do that considering fenway is teeny tiny.

TrueYankee
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Good signing for the sox. He will be their 1B.

rkelly7
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
One question though:
Why was Texas so content in letting him leave? They could use a 1B/C and occasional DH.

I believe the Rangers would have more interest in Laroche than Napoli probably, especially if they don't resign Hamilton. They can go after Laroche and maybe even Greinke.

I think the Rangers should sign Laroche and Anibal Sanchez, then package Derek Holland and Profar for Justin Upton.

StayOnBoard
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

LOL why would he be mad? Because you guys signed Napoli? :laugh2: Yeah, he's furious... rofl.

It's an ok deal for Boston if he hits like he did in 2011. If he hits like last year though, it surely won't be worth it.

I also have to think - if this is all it took, why didn't the Rangers make a bigger play? Maybe they are close to acquiring a catcher or maybe they just weren't as high on him as Boston was.... seems a little strange to me but no matter - Napoli can mash at Fenway, but this signing isn't without a lot of risk. I don't really like it for Boston just based on where they are currently in their rebuild effort, but it could turn out to be a good signing, time will tell.

bomber0104
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Dont know how you can pay a guy 13 mills coming off a 2 WAR season especially when you already have the DH spot occupied

Kelly Gruber
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I thought Boston was happy to let their super prospects develop and win championships like clock-work in 3 years?

I do like this signing for Boston. Napoli can rake and he'll fit in nicely at Fenway. Don't know how great it will look in a couple years and he's pretty limited everywhere else besides at the dish, but Red Sox fans shouldn't be complaining.

Young2Kinsler
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Not a very good catcher at all, and I think its a little overpaying, but at least they didnt go 4 years

StayOnBoard
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Dont know how you can pay a guy 13 mills coming off a 2 WAR season especially when you already have the DH spot occupied

He's going to play 1st base - but otherwise I agree with you.... an awful lot of coin for a guy who was pretty JPA'esk last season (which is no good at all).

He has sure hit in fenway though - at least traditionally.... but otherwise, I agree - I don't like it much for Boston - just my opinion.

Young2Kinsler
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
One question though:

By all accounts Soto worked very well with our staff last year, but I dont think they want him as the everyday starter unless they landed 2 big bats like hamilton, upton, laroche...

JobaRules26
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
May have overpayed for him but thats the norm these days. Seems like the right amount of years. I'm sure he will do some raking at Fenway. Nice signing for the Sawx.

Super.
12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
3 years.

Solid

RaginRondo17
12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I thought Boston was happy to let their super prospects develop and win championships like clock-work in 3 years?

I do like this signing for Boston. Napoli can rake and he'll fit in nicely at Fenway. Don't know how great it will look in a couple years and he's pretty limited everywhere else besides at the dish, but Red Sox fans shouldn't be complaining.

Its not like this deal blocks any prospects, or we're sending a pick to the Rangers for signing him. Ortiz is only signed for 2 years, 3rd year Napoli can DH. He'll play 1st base, and be our 3rd catcher behind Ryan Lavarnway and David Ross (Salty is as good as gone.) The Sox can still spend money and put a better product on the field we'll letting the farm develop and this was a good step towards that.

KushCubs
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
2011 was a fluke imo. I'd expect something similar to 2010/2012 production. I expect him to be a 2.5 WAR player going forward.

Nomar
12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Sox are definitely going for power over speed.

Yeah hard to believe they picked a power hitting 1B over a fast one.

mtf
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't really think this signing changes much in the division, but if the first in a series of significant acquisitions then I think it's a decent move. If it ends up being the most splashy move the Red Sox make this winter, then I really don't see the point.

Super.
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

What super prospects are you talking about? We have a few good ones, but no super over the top amazing ones.

Nomar
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

There's no good 1B in our system, and we didn't give up a draft pick. This makes no sense at all.

Nomar
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
2011 was a fluke imo. I'd expect something similar to 2010/2012 production. I expect him to be a 2.5 WAR player going forward.

Same i think he hovers around the 3 WAR area. We'll see how his defense is there since he will be at 1B 90%+ of the time.

By the way, his second half OPS was .925. Lol not that thats gonna happen

Green_Monster
12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
LOL why would he be mad? Because you guys signed Napoli? :laugh2: Yeah, he's furious... rofl.

It's an ok deal for Boston if he hits like he did in 2011. If he hits like last year though, it surely won't be worth it.

I also have to think - if this is all it took, why didn't the Rangers make a bigger play? Maybe they are close to acquiring a catcher or maybe they just weren't as high on him as Boston was.... seems a little strange to me but no matter - Napoli can mash at Fenway, but this signing isn't without a lot of risk. I don't really like it for Boston just based on where they are currently in their rebuild effort, but it could turn out to be a good signing, time will tell.

If he hits like he did in 2011, it's an amazing deal.

Green_Monster
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
ok fine, he made 7,125,000 last year and hit 19 dingers and 61 rbi while batting under the mendoza line. So lets say $4 mill? Is that fair? So 35 mill less. Either way, he just needs to revert to 2011 form and he may very well do that considering fenway is teeny tiny.

Fenway is not teeny tiny. It's short in LF, but you have to hit it over the monster. It's huge in RF, unless you can curve it around Pesky's pole.

Station 13
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Fenway is not teeny tiny. It's short in LF, if you can curve it around Pesky's pole, but then it extends way out from there.

Fenway has the biggest RF in baseball.

Bo Sox Fan
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah hard to believe they picked a power hitting 1B over a fast one.

I just blew up in a facepalm laughing at this, ****** eh Nomar! Them speedy first baseman are usually a dime a dozen.
Toronto fans, lol.

Super.
12-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I just blew up in a facepalm laughing at this, ****** eh Nomar! Them speedy first baseman are usually a dime a dozen.
Toronto fans, lol.

Clearly power hitting first basemen are a rare commodity.

StryderSox
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Toronto fans, lol.

Well they did just pull off a blockbuster to have a legit shot at contending for the first time in almost 20 years. Clearly this makes them the experts on how to build a future dynasty.

NYYCowboys
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
$13 mil a year for a first baseman who hits .220 with 25 homers seems a little much, no offense.

mtf
12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Well they did just pull off a blockbuster to have a legit shot at contending for the first time in almost 20 years. Clearly this makes them the experts on how to build a future dynasty.

It was one idiot, who didn't even say anything even remotely insulting about it (just stupid).

AI
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
$13 mil a year for a first baseman who hits .220 with 25 homers seems a little much, no offense.

You bring up his average yet don't post his .343 OBP or .469 SLG.

You also don't mention the fact that in 2012 he put up a .320/.414/.631/1.046 slash line.

How about also not realizing that he's a career .259/.356/.507 hitter.

And what do you know, you also don't mention how it's only 3 years and Boston has nobody else who could play 1B who offers as much potential as Napoli does. His swing is made for Fenway as proven by his .306/.397/.710/1.107 career line there.

Bo Sox Fan
12-03-2012, 04:31 PM

$23 mil a year for a first baseman who hits .250 with 24 homers seems a little much, no offense. (Mark Texiera's 2012 stats by the way)

You walked right into this one buddy, please look at your own players before you judge others. Napoli is a steal compared to Tex.

KushCubs
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Same i think he hovers around the 3 WAR area. We'll see how his defense is there since he will be at 1B 90%+ of the time.

By the way, his second half OPS was .925. Lol not that thats gonna happen

The more I think about it, the more him playing 1st at Fenway makes him at least a 3 WAR player. I think he actually has a chance to put up a 4-5 WAR season in the next 3 years. Don't think it'll be the norm, but I think that stadium + Yankee stadium could help him put up some gaudy numbers.

Super.
12-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The more I think about it, the more him playing 1st at Fenway makes him at least a 3 WAR player. I think he actually has a chance to put up a 4-5 WAR season in the next 3 years. Don't think it'll be the norm, but I think that stadium + Yankee stadium could help him put up some gaudy numbers.

Toronto and Baltimore are also hitters parks. Tampa has the only pitchers park in the entire division.

S.P.
12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Does this mean Boston's speech impediment announcers no longer have to say Salt-er-ler-mer-ker-er's name?

Jays Claw
12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Good pickup.

I'm expecting career numbers out of him power-wise as he's sure to mash at Fenway.

Jeffy25
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I kind of like this signing for the Red Sox.

I thought Napoli was going to sneak in a 4 year deal, and he shouldn't have been given one. And it's really interesting now that the Rangers didn't make that qualifying offer.

I wonder how many games he will actually catch. But if it's more than 30 per year, I think that really helps make this worth it.

They won't have to carry a back up catcher now on their roster too, which is nice.

NYYCowboys
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
$23 mil a year for a first baseman who hits .250 with 24 homers seems a little much, no offense. (Mark Texiera's 2012 stats by the way)

You walked right into this one buddy, please look at your own players before you judge others. Napoli is a steal compared to Tex.

Well first place is a lot better than 26 games back in last place too, so oh well.

AI
12-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Well first place is a lot better than 26 games back in last place too, so oh well.

That has nothing to do with Napoli or his Tex argument, but go ahead

More-Than-Most
12-03-2012, 07:35 PM

This just made me feel so much worse about having Ryan Howard

FalconsNation02
12-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Thank god! Get that guy outta the AL West. Guy killed my team (Angels). I'd rather only see him 6 times a year as opposed to 16.

Kelly Gruber
12-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Its not like this deal blocks any prospects, or we're sending a pick to the Rangers for signing him. Ortiz is only signed for 2 years, 3rd year Napoli can DH. He'll play 1st base, and be our 3rd catcher behind Ryan Lavarnway and David Ross (Salty is as good as gone.) The Sox can still spend money and put a better product on the field we'll letting the farm develop and this was a good step towards that.

What super prospects are you talking about? We have a few good ones, but no super over the top amazing ones.

There's no good 1B in our system, and we didn't give up a draft pick. This makes no sense at all.

Yes it was a bit of a sarcastic comment, but Red Sox fans had it coming. In any big money signing thread most Sox fans acted uninterested and happy to not make the big moves as they'd rather wait for their propspects to take them to the promise land, now this happens and that was never the case. I argued with a few that the prospect list wasn't the type you could rest your laurels on and expect to win championships with, I was attacked and assured the Red Sox would be letting the youngsters play. Since then they've signed Jonny Gomes and Mike Napoli... Just saying boys, no need to get hostile.

By the way, if you read the rest of my post, it's clear I think it's a good signing for the Red Sox.

SpecialFNK
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I don't think he has to repeat the 2011 AVG to be productive.
dude has big time power.
in 2012 he had 24 HR in only 108 games.
in 2011 he had 30 HR in only 113 games.

I don't think he will come anywhere near the .320 AVG he had in 2012, so if you're expecting something like that then expect to be disappointed. but that doesn't mean he can't have a good enough AVG. .270 or even .260 wont be that bad for the power numbers he could produce.

what would one expect? .260-.270 AVG with 30-35 HR if he plays say 120-130 games?

Toxeryll
12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
nice signing.

Leandres_sf
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM

AVG is a horrible way to judge a players worth. Not to mention, have you seen contracts that have been given out lately? They're all overpaid, what difference does it make? I think it's a good deal for BOS simply because they held it to 3 years.

AI
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
His 2011 season was obviously an outlier. If he can be a .250/.350/.500 hitter during his tenure in Boston (which honestly, I think he will) then this will turn out to be a great signing.

xnick5757
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I kind of like this signing for the Red Sox.

I thought Napoli was going to sneak in a 4 year deal, and he shouldn't have been given one. And it's really interesting now that the Rangers didn't make that qualifying offer.

I wonder how many games he will actually catch. But if it's more than 30 per year, I think that really helps make this worth it.

They won't have to carry a back up catcher now on their roster too, which is nice.

What makes it interesting is that:

David Ross
Salty
and Lavernway

are still all on the roster; figure salty gets traded and lavernway stays in AAA for the time being

xnick5757
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
This just made me feel so much worse about having Ryan Howard

.219 AVG, 14 HR, and a -1.0 WAR last year for 20 million

and he still has 4 years, 95 million left on his deal

:drool:

Young2Kinsler
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I think his defense at 1st is pretty poor as well, but the guy seems like a great one to have in the clubhouse, and is a very tough out when he is on.

bosox3431
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Id expect something like his 08-09 seasons. Maybe a tad better. Anyone expecting 2011 will be disappointed

Jeffy25
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM

David Ross
Salty
and Lavernway

are still all on the roster; figure salty gets traded and lavernway stays in AAA for the time being

I would think Salty should be the everyday guy.

I guess they will still carry Ross and Salty and they will view Napoli as the emergency catcher.

Young2Kinsler
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM

David Ross
Salty
and Lavernway

If they deal Salty, and send Lavarnway down, that means David Ross is their everyday catcher? Not good. Or Napoli catches a majority of the time? Not good again.

I think Napoli is pretty much the 1B and 3rd/emergency C. So they have to carry someone besides Ross.

s3antana5757
12-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I think it's a decent deal. He's not a great 1B though. His value is so much less at 1B than it would be as a catcher. .220/19 HRs has to be in the bottom third of 1B production in MLB. It's pretty decent for a catcher though.

Jeffy25
12-04-2012, 12:50 AM
I think it's a decent deal. He's not a great 1B though. His value is so much less at 1B than it would be as a catcher. .220/19 HRs has to be in the bottom third of 1B production in MLB. It's pretty decent for a catcher though.

The league average 1B hits about .262/.336/.442

Napoli, over the last three seasons has hit

.261/.355/.520

He is well above league average as an offensive first basemen.

No season in his big league career has he been as bad as the league average offensive first basemen.

Badart Goodwall
12-04-2012, 12:54 AM

Burn, he definitely walked right in to that one. Napoli and Teixeira have had an identical WAR the last three years but Teixeira makes $10 million more a year.

Young2Kinsler
12-04-2012, 12:58 AM
The league average 1B hits about .262/.336/.442

Napoli, over the last three seasons has hit

.261/.355/.520

He is well above league average as an offensive first basemen.

No season in his big league career has he been as bad as the league average offensive first basemen.

But the outlier of his career is within those last 3 years. He is right around middle of the league at best

Badart Goodwall
12-04-2012, 01:01 AM
But the outlier of his career is within those last 3 years. He is right around middle of the league at best

Bollocks, it also includes two down years.

homie564
12-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Salty will probably be traded unless they can put Lavarnway in a bigger trade. Lavarnway and Napoli will probably split time at 1B with 2/5 catching each and Ross with the other 1/5 or some oreientation of that

Jeffy25
12-04-2012, 01:13 AM

He has never, once, in his career had a season offensively as bad as the league average first basemen. Ever.

SpecialFNK
12-04-2012, 02:19 AM
looking at the Red Sox roster, I don't see anyone who would be the starting 1B. I assume that would now be Napoli?
with the Astros in the AL and more interleague games, that means less games for Ortiz at DH. would the Sox then use Ortiz at 1B and Napoli at catcher?

NYYCowboys
12-04-2012, 04:38 AM
AVG is a horrible way to judge a players worth. Not to mention, have you seen contracts that have been given out lately? They're all overpaid, what difference does it make? I think it's a good deal for BOS simply because they held it to 3 years.

I'm well aware. But he's a below average fielding first baseman, he's 32, and likely to decline over the length of the contract, and he's not very good against righties.

Kudos to getting the contract to 3 years I guess. In the end it's a decent contract. Won't go down as great, but won't haunt them down the road. But I'm allowed to have my own opinion and I'm not a huge fan of this guy. I thought with them shedding so much payroll they would have tried to get a star player ( and maybe they still will who knows?).

AI
12-04-2012, 04:38 AM
looking at the Red Sox roster, I don't see anyone who would be the starting 1B. I assume that would now be Napoli?

Yes, he's going to be our primary 1B.

with the Astros in the AL and more interleague games, that means less games for Ortiz at DH. would the Sox then use Ortiz at 1B and Napoli at catcher?

That's certainly possible.

SpecialFNK
12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Napoli deal in jeopardy?

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox' deal with Mike Napoli could be in jeopardy due to a physical issue.
Napoli's reported three-year, $39 million deal was agreed to on December 3, and Rosenthal says the Red Sox had planned to officially announce the signing at a press conference Tuesday, but obviously that didn't happen. Boston evidently didn't like something they saw with Napoli's physical, though it's not clear exactly what it was. The 31-year-old suffered a severely sprained left ankle in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series and dealt with quad and oblique issues this past season.

Tragedy
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Dun dun dun

AI
12-11-2012, 11:50 PM
If you actually read the article, it is 100% pure speculation on Ken's part because the press conference wasn't held. They are probably waiting for Victorino to pass his physical to introduce them together.

Tragedy
12-12-2012, 01:02 AM
If you actually read the article, it is 100% pure speculation on Ken's part because the press conference wasn't held. They are probably waiting for Victorino to pass his physical to introduce them together.
That's very possible.