PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA Arena has the lowest FG%?

egptnwarrior22
12-02-2012, 11:05 AM
In baseball you have hitters parks and pitchers parks. I'm sure there are arenas that are harder to shoot in than others whether its crowd noise or any other factor...I tried to google it but couldn't find an answer...anyone know?

Minimal
12-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Lol stupid question... The best defensive team of all time has the lowest FG% arena...

torocan
12-02-2012, 11:18 AM
In baseball you have hitters parks and pitchers parks. I'm sure there are arenas that are harder to shoot in than others whether its crowd noise or any other factor...I tried to google it but couldn't find an answer...anyone know?

If you are going by crowd noise, right now is has to be OKC.

Jam packed every game whether it's Miami or the Wizards, win or lose and it's crazy loud. They cheer for 48 solid minutes... actually more than that as they start the cheering during pre-game, and they literally don't stop until the game is over.

If you're going by win record, it's San Antonio -- at least over the last decade. Any team that goes into San Antonio, regardless of the lineup is going to have a tough game. They always play hard for 48 minutes, from tip to buzzer. Even their bench will **** you up. Oh, and they have the best coach in the NBA too...

egptnwarrior22
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
If you are going by crowd noise, right now is has to be OKC.

Jam packed every game whether it's Miami or the Wizards, win or lose and it's crazy loud. They cheer for 48 solid minutes... actually more than that as they start the cheering during pre-game, and they literally don't stop until the game is over.

If you're going by win record, it's San Antonio -- at least over the last decade. Any team that goes into San Antonio, regardless of the lineup is going to have a tough game. They always play hard for 48 minutes, from tip to buzzer. Even their bench will **** you up. Oh, and they have the best coach in the NBA too...

These are good guesses...but I was wondering if there was a stat that showed if one arena had an affect on shooting % versus the others...i know it's a tough stat to gauge because some arenas have been around longer than others (the lakers for instance have won 5 championships since moving to the stapler, while the Knicks have been at MSG for donkeys years and have only 2). So strictly FG% is what I was wondering.

knicks=love
12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
good question. i like threads like these. takes everyone away from the trolling ******** in my team vs your team threads.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
okc and portland are LOUD.

bholly
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd love an answer to this, too. You sometimes hear players (particularly three point shooters) complaining about the sight lines in certain places - I wonder if it's a matter of getting used to them, or whether at some places it's just genuinely bad.

Lol stupid question... The best defensive team of all time has the lowest FG% arena...

What about the worst offensive team?

If you actually take a minute you'll realize it's not a stupid question, and now matter how hard you try, stupid responses won't change that.

bholly
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd love to know if there were any meaningfull differences in FT%s between arenas, too.

tredigs
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I'd love to know if there were any meaningfull differences in FT%s between arenas, too.

This is the only way I can see to correctly answer this question. But not by overall FT% in the arena (that would be swayed by how many FT's certain very good or very bad foul shooters got there). You'd have to see if in general a majority of players FT%'s drop when they're at, say, Rose Garden Arena in Portland.

My guess would be there's very little difference.

Cal827
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Whatever Arena that Joey Crawford is in the most.

Sactown
12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
The 1st Arco Arena; Larry Bird admits it's the only arena to ever affect him while shooting free throws and said it in a very complimentary way, while Reynolds commented "The place was special, and we had a true home-court advantage"

Zefflin
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
To be fair Lakers fans are the worst, I mean that literally. The ones inside the building.

Bruno
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
great question. I'd love to see the arena-arena breakdown on all stats.

LakersA's49ers
12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
^^^ agreed. lakers fans go to staples to be seen, not heard. and also arco was unreal!

Sactown
12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
^^^ agreed. lakers fans go to staples to be seen, not heard. and also arco was unreal!

Yeah the original one was, because of the small size and the way to was built the sound actually felt like it was coming down on you and affected players.

Minimal
12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I'd love an answer to this, too. You sometimes hear players (particularly three point shooters) complaining about the sight lines in certain places - I wonder if it's a matter of getting used to them, or whether at some places it's just genuinely bad.

What about the worst offensive team?

If you actually take a minute you'll realize it's not a stupid question, and now matter how hard you try, stupid responses won't change that.
Yes, thats a ****ing stupid question. Which NBA arena has the lowest FG%? WTF is that? There is no answer to this, because it all depends on how the team plays in arena. All arenas are the same, all the baskets in arenas are the same, they are NBA standard baskets same as the ball. Weather condition doesn't change in the arena. The court covers are the same, its not football or soccer. The only factor is the crowd and thats all. If he put the question in the right way like this: "Which NBA arena has the best crowd", then I would answer properly.

SMH!
12-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Coulda swore this was a JB or JasonJohnHorn thread, pointless

crewfan13
12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd like to know, if you really could get a bunch of former players to really answer truthfully, if a loud arena really affects there shot at all. I would guess for some guys it might, but those guys are playing ball in loud arenas every night that it makes you wonder if it really affects guys all that much.

Bruno
12-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, thats a ****ing stupid question. Which NBA arena has the lowest FG%? WTF is that? There is no answer to this, because it all depends on how the team plays in arena. All arenas are the same, all the baskets in arenas are the same, they are NBA standard baskets same as the ball. Weather condition doesn't change in the arena. The court covers are the same, its not football or soccer. The only factor is the crowd and thats all. If he put the question in the right way like this: "Which NBA arena has the best crowd", then I would answer properly.

:facepalm:

Minimal
12-02-2012, 09:30 PM

bholly
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM

It isn't just the crowd. All arenas are not the same. As already mentioned, many have unusual sight lines (ie what you see in the background when you stand on the court and look at the basket) from many angles which can mess with your depth perception and aim. Lighting could make a difference, temperature could make a difference, in places like Denver the altitude could make a difference, the way the crowd are set out around the court could affect players and make a difference.
There are a lot of things beyond the crowd that could make a difference, even if you don't understand them.

Minimal
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
It isn't just the crowd. All arenas are not the same. As already mentioned, many have unusual sight lines (ie what you see in the background when you stand on the court and look at the basket) from many angles which can mess with your depth perception and aim. Lighting could make a difference, temperature could make a difference, in places like Denver the altitude could make a difference, the way the crowd are set out around the court could affect players and make a difference.
There are a lot of things beyond the crowd that could make a difference, even if you don't understand them.
Ok tell me one thing. Which NBA arena has the lowest FG%. And explain me how are you gonna determine that?

You made a point, but I think its ********. What you see when you shoot the ball is the basket, in the backround all you can see is fans or empty seats. All arenas are warmed to specific temperature. About Denver, maybe, not sure. Crowd? I think they are set out basically the same in every arena.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Ok tell me one thing. Which NBA arena has the lowest FG%. And explain me how are you gonna determine that?

You made a point, but I think its ********. What you see when you shoot the ball is the basket, in the backround all you can see is fans or empty seats. All arenas are warmed to specific temperature. About Denver, maybe, not sure. Crowd? I think they are set out basically the same in every arena.

Probably by calculating the opposing teams FG% in every game over the period of time the stadium has been in existence. It's pretty simple to understand. But it appears this is way over your head. The OP was wondering if there is a site that perhaps shows this.

By your reasoning, FG% should be the exact same at every stadium, which I guarantee it is not.

Bruno
12-02-2012, 10:12 PM

you don't know what you're talking about.

if you don't like the discussion, just leave- don't derail it.

Minimal
12-02-2012, 10:22 PM
you don't know what you're talking about.

if you don't like the discussion, just leave- don't derail it.
I think you don't know what you are talking about Mr. PSD mod.

So please go leave your facepalms in the other threads if you have nothing to say.

Minimal
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Probably by calculating the opposing teams FG% in every game over the period of time the stadium has been in existence. It's pretty simple to understand. But it appears this is way over your head. The OP was wondering if there is a site that perhaps shows this.

By your reasoning, FG% should be the exact same at every stadium, which I guarantee it is not.
I mean how much brain you need to understand that opposing teams FG% in each arena depends on the teams they face defense.

ACanadian
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The Raptors got to Denver a day before the game to coup with the altitude. So they oviously are preparing so it doesn't affect their game effectiveness maybe.

Sactown
12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I mean how much brain you need to understand that opposing teams FG% in each arena depends on the teams they face defense.

God you're absolutely annoying, don't like the thread? Then don't ****ing comment in it, you don't have to be a dumb ***** and ruin it for everyone else, and obviously the Thread is about crowed noise and affecting players, not the dynamics of the court or the defense they play

Minimal
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
God you're absolutely annoying, don't like the thread? Then don't ****ing comment in it, you don't have to be a dumb ***** and ruin it for everyone else, and obviously the Thread is about crowed noise and affecting players, not the dynamics of the court or the defense they play
My god did you even read thread? Do you understand what we are talking about, or you just comment to comment? :facepalm:

Sactown
12-02-2012, 10:40 PM
My god did you even read thread? Do you understand what we are talking about, or you just comment to comment? :facepalm:

I did read the OP, and you sure haven't added anything to the conversation.

koreancabbage
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM

wrong

Minimal
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Alright I need to go sleep, need to get up to work tomorrow early. Have fun guessing which NBA arena has the lowest FG%...

bholly
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Well there doesn't seem to be an easy way, that's why we're all wondering instead of looking at actual numbers. So what's your point?
The only way I can think of would be to trawl a database like BBR for all the bilateral matchups (discriminating between home/away of course) and then adding everything up, but it would take forever and you'd still get it a bit wrong given the occasional games played in non-standard venues. You'd probably have to write a script to do it, otherwise it would take forever, but that's the best I can think of right now.

The fact that it's hard to determine doesn't mean it's dumb for someone to ask, though, so I don't see how this really supports your argument.

Well, you're wrong. Sometimes you'll have moving fans behind the basket which can make it difficult (have you never wondered why people wave their arms behind the basket during free throws?), while sometimes you'll just have seats that the rims could blend into, sometimes there'll be lights in your sight line, sometimes there'll be advertising stuff, sometimes there'll be tunnels and stairs, sometimes it'll be the media desks - there are a lot of things in each arena, and shooting with a variable background can make depth perception (and thus shooting) much harder. Basketball players have talked about this on many occasions, it's not even up for argument - sight lines vary a lot within arenas and between arenas and they absolutely affect shooters.

None - and nobody is denying that. How much brain do you need to understand that other things - like those that people have been mentioning - could also have an effect?

NBAfan4life
12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
It would be cool if they kept data like that. I don't think it is available anywhere though. The only way for it to be accurate though and even then it would have to be taken with a grain a salt over multiple seasons.

Tmath
12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
I would say Denver because of the high altitude. I don't know if it affects FG%, but it certainly affects the players stamina.

torocan
12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I would say Denver because of the high altitude. I don't know if it affects FG%, but it certainly affects the players stamina.

Actually there has been at least one study regarding altitude and Free Throw shooting (which would be the easiest to isolate).

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/does-altitude-affect-free-throw-percentage/

Essentially, in Denver free throw shooting is markedly lower than in lower altitude arena's. How much of this is due to design of the arena itself, how much is due to the change in air pressure, and how much is due to the impact of the lower oxygen content is hard to determine.

However, it does make a certain kind of sense to argue that since the oxygen content is lower by volume that players would become fatigued more quickly than those who are playing at lower altitudes.

As we know, fatigue can affect the body in a number of ways, including muscle fatigue and potentially reduced efficacy in decision making. This can even occur at "low altitudes" like in Denver.

Aside from this low air pressure increases the rate that sweat evaporates, dehydrating athletes more quickly. This introduces another problem into the mix if athletes don't hydrate sufficiently.

As for adjusting to altitude, it typically takes 5-7 days for a body to fully acclimate to altitude. The drops in performance when time for acclimitization are not available *can* be adjusted for to some degree in terms of pacing (more rest interspersed with shorter intervals of minutes), however prolonged aerobic and anaerobic activity in a lower oxygen environment will inevitably lead to faster than baseline physical and mental fatigue.

This alone would give Denver a head start in terms of being a difficult arena to shoot in, even excluding other potential factors like sight lines, lighting, venue acoustics, color schemes and fans.

Just some random thoughts. :D

bholly
12-03-2012, 01:04 AM
^^good post.