PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Miami's vaunted defense?

NYSpirit1
12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
This season they look horrible through 15 games.

They are 22nd in efficiency and 23rd in points allowed. They are winning games because they have stars and are coming through in the clutch, a completely different tale then years 1 and 2.

Should this be a concern for Miami moving forward?

I'd imagine a lot of it is Wade's decline in quickness and the fact that LeBron/Wade aren't getting in the passing lanes as often.

TeamSeattle
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Any comment against the heat will get overblown so best to just leave this one alone.

GiantsSwaGG
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Effort and they're playing guys who only play offense in Ray and Rashad Lewis

JNoel
12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Lack of motivation/effort has been a pretty strong theme thus far...

MTL_123
12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
lol Its gone till the playoffs

MetroMan
12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
lol Its gone till the playoffs

This

GoferKing_
12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Begining of the season, that is what happened. In PO they will choke other teams.

meloman1592
12-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Any anti heat threads will get u crucified..good luck. And you're a knick fan? Dam...good luck my friend. Hope u make it out this thread alive

MTL_123
12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Any anti heat threads will get u crucified..good luck. And you're a knick fan? Dam...good luck my friend. Hope u make it out this thread alive

ah what a stupid troll

justinnum1
12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Begining of the season, that is what happened. In PO they will choke other teams.

This.

Miami has shown they have the next level.

Not to mention miami has the best clutch time defense in the league. The defense is there, they just dont choose to use it right now.

couper
Heat are 23rd in defensive efficiency (103.6), but are 1st in clutch defensive efficiency (79.4). Ray Allen has played every clutch minute.

/thread

Hawkeye15
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
still way too early to take any of these ratings seriously. The Wolves are 6th in defensive efficiency. Should I read into that?

Why we jump the gun before at least half the season, and letting teams go through peaks and valley's, as well as dealing with injuries, is beyond me.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
It's just one game, get over it.

Even Kobe has bad games.

xxplayerxx23
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
They really don't care, Lebron hasn't played as great all year, but once the playoffs happen they will dominat like last year. Still the team to beat in the NBA

seikou8
12-01-2012, 09:52 PM
well i think its has to do with going small and moving bosh to center position,

archdevil84
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
ye but its not just one game. they won by 2 points at home against the cavaliers who didnt have kyi irving. and that game against the spurs the other night was terrible. it also seems like the enemy teams are coming out extremely motivated tho. they even make shots that are wel defended so overall i think they have to get more rebounds and bring up the motivation. have you seen a lebron dunk in the last 3/4 games? it seems like theyre not realy motivated right now and indeed ray allen is not a very good defender...

GiantsSwaGG
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Lol

Big Zo
12-01-2012, 11:15 PM
It was there tonight. :shrug:

Hustla23
12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
The difference is the Heat had stellar defensive efficiency last season, and it remained so during the playoffs.

This year they're playing guys like Allen and Reshard Lewis who are going to cause the defense to regress although provide an added offensive boost.

Combine that with not playing Joel Anthony and the defense has plummeted.

So I don't think that it's a temporary thing.

mvb815
12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
The difference is the Heat had stellar defensive efficiency last season, and it remained so during the playoffs.

This year they're playing guys like Allen and Reshard Lewis who are going to cause the defense to regress although provide an added offensive boost.

Combine that with not playing Joel Anthony and the defense has plummeted.

So I don't think that it's a temporary thing.

somebody get this guy a job at espn

heat are on cruise control until the finals, not the playoffs, the finals

justinnum1
12-02-2012, 12:01 AM

exactly

SportsFanatic10
12-02-2012, 12:08 AM
well i think its has to do with going small and moving bosh to center position,

bosh played center last year in the playoffs. when the heat want to play their elite level of defense its there for them, they just play it in small stretches during the season when they need to.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Lol 14 games, roughly 1/8 of the season passed, and you're using that to predict a teams capabilities on one end of the floor. LOL

but you're a Knicks fan, and you thought u won an NBA championship in November.

justinnum1
12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Lol 14 games, roughly 1/8 of the season passed, and you're using that to predict a teams capabilities on one end of the floor. LOL

but you're a Knicks fan, and you thought u won an NBA championship in November.

:laugh2:

Gibby
12-02-2012, 12:42 AM
they play down to their opponents but when they need to they can turn it up. example is tonight, when heat turned up their intensity in 2nd half and nets scored less than 30 points.

yanksrock
12-02-2012, 12:56 AM
It'll be back.

Kenny
12-02-2012, 01:06 AM
I love how Heat fans just embrace the team they root for not giving max effort out there. No wonder these guys wanted to play in Miami

raiderposting
12-02-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't think the heat really give a ****. They'll start going 100% with about 20 games left in the regular season

SportsFanatic10
12-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I love how Heat fans just embrace the team they root for not giving max effort out there. No wonder these guys wanted to play in Miami

it's frustrating but that's just how it is we can't change it. and by now we're pretty used to it, 2 straight years in the finals makes up for it. as long as they're winning we'll take it. hey, at least it makes the games entertaining with close finishes instead of blowouts.

Hustla23
12-02-2012, 01:57 AM

If you think the personnel changes doesn't affect the defense either currently or possibly in the future, then well you're free to think so.

Slug3
12-02-2012, 02:04 AM
If you think the personnel changes doesn't affect the defense either currently or possibly in the future, then well you're free to think so.

What has changed though from last year? We don't have Romney turiaf?

Chronz
12-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Very reminiscent of the light switch Lakers that won the title with an elite defense and then coasted all year up until the 15-1 stomping of the playoffs

SteBO
12-02-2012, 08:32 AM

What has changed though from last year? We don't have Romney turiaf?
No we added Ray and Rashard, who aren't exactly great defenders lol. Still, we're a better defensive team than we've shown, and the personnel we have out there in all honesty shouldn't be having this much of an impact given our defensive system. If we give the effort necessary, we're just as good defensively as we were last year if not better.

justinnum1
12-02-2012, 11:27 AM
couper
The Heat broke into the Top 20 in defensive efficiency after tonight and will play Washington on Tuesday. Knicks after that.

Miami will be top 10 in defense after this month.

Don't fool yourself, this team can lock you down when they need to, and no one is stopping lebron from getting a good shot.