PDA

View Full Version : Is PnR coverage more important than shotblocking at the rim nowadays?

Chronz
12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
PnR Detonater vs Rim Protector
Footspeed/Agility vs Shotblocking

Seems to me the league is becoming more and more about preventing dribble penetration than having hulking bigmen protecting the post/rim.

Take a look at Atlanta, they have the leagues stingiest defenses and its not because of their diminutive guards (though their pressure has been impressive) its because Horford and Smoove can cover alot of ground, switch on every PnR and completely take away the 2-man game. They have liabilities inside and can be outmuscled by those rarer centers but thus far it hasnt been a problem.

If you were building a perfect defensive unit, which of these 2 would you emphasize from your 4 & 5?
2 guys who can blitz PnR basketball, 2 guys who can defend the rim.

Would you have one of each, pairing a PnR disruptor with a shot blocker, kind of like Taj and Asik were last year.

Most importantly, which is more valuable to a defense?

D-Leethal
12-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Pick and roll 1000%. Every team relies heavily on the pick and roll nowadays and the only way to stop it is proper coverage by the bigs.

Shotblocking is extremely overrated but rim protection is general is not.

But with great pick and roll defense, you don't need to save the day from the weakside with rim protection because the penetration gets blocked up top. You stop the problem before it starts with pick and roll defense.

JasonJohnHorn
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Pick and roll 1000%. Every team relies heavily on the pick and roll nowadays and the only way to stop it is proper coverage by the bigs.

Shotblocking is extremely overrated but rim protection is general is not.

But with great pick and roll defense, you don't need to save the day from the weakside with rim protection because the penetration gets blocked up top. You stop the problem before it starts with pick and roll defense.

Great post!

That said, I miss getting to see guys like Hakeem and Mutumbo block shots. It was one of my favorite parts of the game growing up.

mvb815
12-02-2012, 12:35 AM
rim camping is harder now, the game is evolving, lots of players can hit floaters over big men.

but you have a good example there with atlanta, big men that can move are slowly becoming a necessity. imo at least

Chronz
12-02-2012, 02:32 PM
KG vs Duncan on defense is another way of summing up this thread. Both were great at both for the most part but they clearly went separate ways when evaluating their defensive fundamentals

Raps08-09 Champ
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Teams are quicker now and playing smaller. If your facing a quick team and they do the P&R, you better have good big men who can rotate or else you'll get destroyed by the speed.

JasonJohnHorn
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
The Big men are, and have been, the last line of defence. They are the goal tenders. If the guys involved in the pick-and-roll don't switch properly and get beat, they have to cme over and help. Same with isolation plays, if a man gets beat, the big man has to come over and help. You will always have guys who get beat off the dribble or beat of the P&R, and will in turn need bigs that can help. But everytime somebody is in a position to block a shot in the paint, it generally means that the defense broke down somewhere along the line. The shot blocker is an insurance policy and some teams need them more than others.

This is the difference between Howard and Duncan, and why I would say Duncan is a better defender. He can guard the P&R, defend on the wing, AND be the help defender, where as Howard is primarily a great one-on-one post defender and a great help defender, but I don't see him coming out to guard guys as effectively an Duncan.

That said, Howard is amazing at helping, and the Magic desperately NEEDED him to be good at that because the team wasn't as good defensively as the Spurs were collectively. Duncan played with better defenders than Howard, which is why Howard had a bigger impact on that end of the floor for his team. It helps when you have a guy like Pop as a coach.

I had a similar problem wiht Shaq... and it showed up a lot when he played Sabonis... he could step out and defend like Duncan could.

torocan
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Given the changes to hand checking and the move towards 3 point shooting, PnR defense is much more important than rim protection.

A good 3 point shooting team with a quick Guard can easily get the bigs in foul trouble, while bypassing that center entirely.

While a strong man at the rim can help tremendously, it's awful hard to win if you can't stop the other team from scoring because one guy is always parked in the paint.

Still, you should have both -- a good PnR defense and a strong center to protect the Rim.

DanG
12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
PnR for sure. This was one of the biggest concerns for the lakers when Mike Brown was still the coach.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAG6UpCWNg&list=UUSpvjDk06HLxBaw8sZw7SkA&index=14&feature=plpp_video#t=1m35s

ChiSox219
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Shotblocking at the rim

If you have a good shot blocker who doesn't commit a high rate of fouls and goaltends, he's going to make a lot more impact that a player that's really good at defending the PnR.

Pluvious
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Big men that can move their feet and contest both inside and outside off of the pick and roll are what every team is looking for. Atlanta's big men can do both. Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard do both...but protect the interior better.

So its really both. Look at Miami. They have a bunch of guys who can move their feet well on the perimeter vs the pick and roll but their rim protection is non existent. Result = their defense is not outstanding this year.

Don't forget rebounding too. That's all well and good that you have guys that can move their feet but you need players that can grab those misses too.

Conclusion: Athletic bigs are good! Slow footed bigs = bad.

da ThRONe
12-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I think shot blocking and rim protecting are two different things. Wade is a great shot blocker, but isn't a rim protector. Good shot blocking bigs not only block shots they discourage players from driving to the basket and alter shots.

To answer the question PNR defense is more important. If there was no defensives 3 seconds it may be the other way around.

imagesrdecievin
12-03-2012, 04:33 AM
PnR defense is vastly more important Imo. What good is a rim protector when you're getting destroyed with the pick n' pop?

SportsFanatic10
12-03-2012, 12:32 PM
pick and roll for sure. if you can blitz the pick and roll it cuts off the ball handler from penetrating and creating all kinds of problems for your defense. the way the game is played today, pick and roll is so prevalent and with the lack of true old school bigs, an inside defensive presence isn't as crucial. i'd rather take my chances inside with an athletic pick and roll big then constantly have my defense broken down off p&r with a slow footed rim protecting one. ideally though, i'd like 1 of each, but if it was one or the other then 2 guys like they have in atl.

Andrew32
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I have generally felt that defensively a C who is a really good post defender / rim protector is more valuable then a quick C who can defend the PnR really well but doesn't have the size, length and at times size/strength to defend the post and rim well.

I want my guards to fight over screens and honestly how many C's can really stay infront of a quick guard out on the perimeter?

Perhaps its a valuable commodity but its also pretty uncommon.