PDA

View Full Version : Popovich's dust-up could cost him Olympic coaching job

mrblisterdundee
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Gregg Popovich's dust-up with the league could cost him the chance to coach the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121130-1201/nba-gregg-popovich-shot-team-usa-coaching-gig).
I hope the NBA isn't that stupid. Popovich obviously became the best coach in the NBA after Phil Jackson retired, and he deserves a shot to coach the best players. What he did with his bench to the Miami Heat only confirms how good a coach he is (and how good San Antonio is at drafting/trading).

Ebbs
12-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I hope he doesn't either. That's a dumb reason to renag his olympic shot

Raps18-19 Champ
12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
David Stern has no control of USA Basketball.

BTW, misleading title. Add the "?" in the title and it makes a big difference.

Freakazoid
12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Gregg Popovich's dust-up with the league could cost him the chance to coach the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121130-1201/nba-gregg-popovich-shot-team-usa-coaching-gig).
I hope the NBA isn't that stupid. Popovich obviously became the best coach in the NBA after Phil Jackson retired, and he deserves a shot to coach the best players. What he did with his bench to the Miami Heat only confirms how good a coach he is (and how good San Antonio is at drafting/trading).

After Phil Jackson retired?

KnickaBocka.44
12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah this thread title is pretty misleading. Nowhere in the article does it mention that there has been any word from anyone that this little mis-hap could effect his chances either and I doubt it does.

Bruno
12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
stern (and any future commissioner) should not have authority over the olympics, or what team USA does in the olympics.

it's already bad enough that he's the judge, jury and executioner in the NBA, those compacted powers shouldn't expand any further.

JasonJohnHorn
12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I believe Stern already have a hand in Pop being overlooked for the head coaching spot on Team USA when the job was given to coach K. Pop had been an assist several times in the world tournament and in the 2004 olympics.

Wierd thing... Tim Duncan will likely retire from basketball without having won an gold medal. ;-(

mrblisterdundee
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I believe Stern already have a hand in Pop being overlooked for the head coaching spot on Team USA when the job was given to coach K. Pop had been an assist several times in the world tournament and in the 2004 olympics.

Wierd thing... Tim Duncan will likely retire from basketball without having won an gold medal. ;-(

He had a chance, but the U.S. team couldn't pull it together and win the gold. They had some young guys - and nine of the 12 original players were removed and replaced with younger guys - but were clearly more talented than any other team.